Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

Looks like visa on arrival could soon be history.

People have to get a visa which makes more money for the bent officials.

Does anyone know how much a visa is these days?

People such as oil and gas and mining guys wont want to waste their valuable time off travelling to an embassy in another country then waiting for a visa just so they can have their month off. These blokes will be lost to other countries such as Cambodia and The PI who still have sane and workable visa policies. Their departure will be an enormous financial blow to Phuket.

As one of those O&G guys, I totally agree with u.

Yep...but it is not just oil and gas, Phuket, and other parts of Thailand have a good many miners also who are fly in fly out. These guys earn big money and spend heavily on their time off. Unfortunately for Thailand's economy many will now move to other countries such as the PI and Cambodia.

"Yep...but it is not just oil and gas, Phuket, and other parts of Thailand have a good many miners also who are fly in fly out."

Since this ruling only affects land crossings, why would it be a problem for anyone who flies in and out?

Edited by Suradit69

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if I arrive in Thailand without visa, then I plan to go to Lao via land border and stay in Lao but don't come back to Thailand ???

In Mae sot they are saying they can't even leave Thailand !!

Did I read this right? I cannot leave Thailand? Oh...good.

That is happening at border points right now.

At some border crossings with Myanmar the problem is that you can not travel far into Myanmar. There is only one alternative at some crossings, like Mai Sai and Mae Sot, and that is to return to Thailand after entering Myanmar.

At these land crossings you are not allowed to leave with a visa exempt entry as you will by default return to Thailand.

So in effect immigration is forcing you to overstay. Smart move.

This is big news that will affect a lot of people.

Kudos to Thai visa for getting the info out there.

I wouldn't fancy being a border runner right now - that said, going in and out of Thailand every 30 days means you aren't a tourist anyway and are probably milking the system.

Immigration seem to be on one at the moment!

I just came to thailand for 3 months not milking the system leaving next month, coming back for longer stay with an ed visa in september

If you are coming back as a genuine student to seriously pursue an academic course then good luck with your studies.

If you are using the Ed Visa only as a means of staying in Thailand then you may be in for a surprise.

The thing I was wondering about regarding people saying they were not allowed to even leave Thailand at the MAE SAI border is that surely it's a rather unique situation compared to the other Thai border crossings? When you cross over to Tachilek in Myanmar you are then in a kind of no man's land because you only get a temporary visa for Myanmar and unless you have a proper visa for issued at their embassy you are not allowed to travel very far from the town.

So it would be impossible for you to travel anywhere to fly out.

I was wondering if that is the reason why Thai immigration would not allow people to cross over in case they get stuck in this situation.

Edited by Asiantravel

Oh dear!

I'm just caught in the middle of it now.

I have a legit Non Immigrant 90 days Visa expiring this coming May 13th.

A few days ago I pre-paid for a Visa Run, to Ranong, this coming Monday May 12ve.

And actually I just need a minimum 7 days extension since circumstances made that I am leaving (for good) for another country this Saturday May 17th.

What should I do now?

a- Go to the Visa Run anyway and risk it.

b- Get my money back from the Visa Run company and drive my motorbike to immigration office in Phuket Town this Monday and beg for an extension

Anybody got real official information to suggest?

TKS

You have a valid visa so are not effected at all by this change. Do your border run for a new entry.

Re-read the OP, you're still allowed to do ONE land-border visa-run, it's the SECOND which won't now work, so you're OK !

Proceed with your planned visa-run on the 12th and have a good trip !

Judging by your status & number of posts you have on this Forum, I suppose you guys are experienced.

So OK, I’ll do my run this Monday

Thanks a lot.

@FD&S - I have just completed a mini-poll of a half dozen of my friends in the oil/gas biz. They in turn have been speaking with all of their friends, probably a half-dozen or so each... none are in the least concerned with the changes in interpretation/enforcement... seems like its easy enough to have your shizzle together.

• Like 1

Since this crackdown only affects land crossing, maybe somebody could set up a hot air balloon service and you could do 5 min air transfer across the border to Cambodia and Myanmar. Problem solved - everybody happy again?

post-119133-0-57200900-1399785069_thumb.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 2

My interpretation is that if you come in by land, you will get one 15/30 day entry stamp, and if you want to stay longer, you must go to a consulate/embassy in another country and get a visa, and then be allowed back in.

But the question that hasn't been answered is what does ONCE mean?

Is it once every 3 months, 6 months a year??? Or is it once in the life of your passport, or indeed your lifetime?

I assume the same rule will apply to air entry after August 12?

What about if you come in via the sea??

Since this crackdown only affects land crossing, maybe somebody could set up a hot air balloon service and you could do 5 min air transfer across the border to Cambodia and Myanmar. Problem solved - everybody happy again?

Or a boat with a consulate on it , travel out of thai waters stamps visas and back , done in a few hours

Or a boat with a consulate on it , travel out of thai waters stamps visas and back , done in a few hours

The way the dive and tourist boats are sinking in Thailand...whistling.gif BTW Cambodia has not been affect YET. facepalm.gif

Edited by khwaibah

My interpretation is that if you come in by land, you will get one 15/30 day entry stamp, and if you want to stay longer, you must go to a consulate/embassy in another country and get a visa, and then be allowed back in.

But the question that hasn't been answered is what does ONCE mean?

Is it once every 3 months, 6 months a year??? Or is it once in the life of your passport, or indeed your lifetime?

I assume the same rule will apply to air entry after August 12?

What about if you come in via the sea??

Entry by sea has been seen as land border for a long time already.

As I read it, come August that won't be possible either.

Perhaps it would be easier if they simply reneged on all their international agreements and closed the country to foreigners? OK so now I'm being facetious.

Strict new immigration regulations mean crackdown on visa runs

1399785280_1-org.jpg

Example for a visa run from Thailand to Laos, same day entrance and departure.

PHUKET: According to reports, Thai Immigration began enforcing new regulations from yesterday (May 10) that will in effect mean that foreign nationals residing in Thailand will no longer be able to exit and then re-enter the kingdom via a land border crossing in order to gain another 30 or 15 day stay.

According to a news story on thaivisa.com, which translates an Immigration announcement from Thai to English, Non-Immigrant Visa or Tourist visa holders with remaining entries on their visa can exit and enter Thailand as before.

However, these new measures are targeting foreign visitors without a visa who are regularly entering and exiting the kingdom every 15 or 30 days as a way of extending their stay in Thailand.

The report says that from yesterday (May 10) visitors can only enter into Thailand via a land border once, after that they will be refused entry to the Kingdom and are advised to fly out and return with a visa obtained from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in a neighbouring country or overseas.

The Immigration Bureau has confirmed that further restrictions are to be enforced from August 12.

The report finishes by saying that a number of Thaivisa members have confirmed that these restrictions are being enforced at the Mae Sai border crossing in Chiang Rai province, with some members commenting they are stranded at the border unable to enter Thailand.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/strict-new-immigration-regulations-mean-crackdown-on-visa-runs-46212.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-11

As I read it, come August that won't be possible either.

Perhaps it would be easier if they simply reneged on all their international agreements and closed the country to foreigners? OK so now I'm being facetious.

Thanks to the change to G7 countries last November I'm still not affected but it does leave me right on the edge! All those years of never getting a tourist visa in the region because one day I may need it may well pay off for me.

• Like 1

PHUKET: According to reports, Thai Immigration began enforcing new regulations from yesterday (May 10) that will in effect mean that foreign nationals residing in Thailand will no longer be able to exit and then re-enter the kingdom via a land border crossing in order to gain another 30 or 15 day stay.

Only if having entered the kingdom on a visa exempt in the first place?

Just had a quick conversation with my friend who runs a visa and travel services company in Bangkok.

There were absolutely no problems at all for any of her passengers at the Aranyapathet-Poipet border crossing today, 11 May.

That included 30-day and 15-day visa waiver admit stamps for quite a number of different nationalities all with prior out and in transits.

Only as long as you land at an "international" airport! But good try.

• Like 1

12th August further restrictions

Today the Immigration Bureau has posted the following notice, confirming the new regulations and upcoming changes to the regulations:

แนวทางปฏิบัติของ สตม.ในการตรวจคนเข้าเมืองของบุคคลสัญชาติเป้าหมาย เช่น เกาหลี ฯลฯ มีดังนี้

1.ห้ามมิให้ด่านชายแดนมีการอนุญาต Out-In ในลักษณะของ Visa run เพื่อให้ได้รับสิทธิในการอยู่ในราชอาณาจักรต่อเนื่องที่มิใช่เหตุผลเพื่อการ ท่องเที่ยว

2.กรณีเดินทางโดยอากาศยานหากตรวจพบว่าอาจเป็นการ Out-In ในลักษณะของ Visa run ให้ว่ากล่าวและแนะนำให้ผู้นั้นดำเนินการขอ Visa ให้ถูกต้องตามวัตถุประสงค์ของการเข้ามาในราชอาณาจักร แล้วอนุโลมให้เข้า ตั้งแต่บัดนี้จนถึงวันที่ 12 ส.ค.57 โดยทำเครื่องหมาย O-I ไว้บริเวณรอยตราประทับ และหลังจากวันที่ 12 ส.ค.57 เป็นต้นไป หากเจ้าหน้าที่ตรวจพบเป็นการ Out-In ให้ปฏิเสธการเข้าเมืองผู้นั้น

หมายเหตุ หากผู้ปฏิบัติมีข้อสงสัยหรือพบปัญหาติดต่อ พล.ต.ต.ชิษณุพงศ์ ยุกตะทัต หรือ พล.ต.ต.ณัฐธร เพราะสุนทร รอง ผบช.สตม. แล้วแต่กรณี

Interesting detail:

In the first sentence, the immigration staff is asked to implement measures 1. and 2. towards TARGETED NATIONALITIES (e.g. KOREANS): บุคคลสัญชาติเป้าหมาย เช่น เกาหลี ฯลฯ. South Koreans currently receive a 1 month visa free stay when entering by air and a 15 days visa free entry when entering by land.

Measure 1. appears to prohibit a repeated "OUT-IN" visa free entry BY LAND (for the targeted nationalities, which ones others apart from Koreans?) altogether.

Measure 2. refers to repeated "OUT-IN" visa free entry by air. Until 12 August the travellers in question will receive a mark "O-I" next to their entry stamp and are being advised to get a visa next time. After 12 August, "OUT-IN" visa free entries by air will no longer be allowed

About 5 years ago, a friend of mine came to Thailand with his wife and 3 young kids for a 1 month vacation. The reason for the trip was that the youngest kid suffered from asthma especially during the western winter. The Thai climate turned out to be a miracle cure for the kids asthma, so they extended their stay to 60 days by passing one of the land borders during their stay.

Can anybody honestly claim they abused Thailand's visa exempt system and should be forced to travel through Bangkok's traffic (twice) and do a round-trip flight to extend their stay?

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 1