Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

Interesting I wonder how someone like me when I was working in Singapore and flying back on the weekends to Thailand would be treated under the laws mooted for August.

Offshore workers and many business people also fly in and out regularly and don't have tourist visas.

It would seem a bit silly if they were denied entry on the basis of coming to Thailand too often.

Off shore workers is another pretty good example. Other countries have restrictive visa policies to prevent large scale work migration. I find that questionable in general but Thailand doesn't even have this issue - so what's the reason here? I am trying to put myself in their shoes - what do they get out of it? Immigration perhaps a greater sense of control - but that's about it. Thailand's going to lose money, a small sum perhaps, but still lost. Is there a point?

I would recon they are tired of people living and working here illegally and some people who use the same VOA but are not working here will be thrown into the pot. Its tuff luck but do not blame immigration blame the people who have been living and working here on 30day or 15 day VOA. This has happened before on the 30 day VOA they even had a big business of forged stamps people didn't even leave the country for a stamp or didn't even make a border run as they would get a forged stamp or the tour company would take a stack of passports to the border for a fast stamp and then back to the long term tourist. They raided a lot of tour offices and confiscated the passports in the office

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having worked in Thailand as well as lots of other countries, why on earth would one want to work in LOS?

My wife just got her IR-1 visa to america and she will be granted her Green Card upon arrival. going through the paperwork was somewhat of a hassle but it was a relatively easy process. I much rather deal with the american immigration restriction than Thailand's immigration. This latest crackdown is a prime reason why

Adding that the process your wife went through is a one-time deal which "sorts" her for life, without ANY additional processes EVER.

thumbsup.gif

Sorry to bust your bubble but there will be a few more hoops to jump threw, a friend of mine married a Philippino 3 years later they were still having to do paper work and confirm her status in the states and that was only a couple of years ago

So fly in and out every 30 days won't be affected?

It will be effected in August 2014.

Correct.

It seems that as of 12 August border runs by air will also no longer be allowed.

What I was wondering in relation to this is how does/would immigration view flying in for a few days, then heading onto a neighboring country for a few days, back to Thailand for 2/3 days and then a couple of other neighboring countries for a week or so over a period of about a month or so, all done by air BUT note that the individuals doing this are using Thailand merely as a transit or "pivot" point due to being somewhat of an aviation hub in the region and generally flying on THAI. They are usually never in Thailand for more than a week at a time and thus never use the full 30 days of their visa exempt entries. I can't imagine officials would be trying to prevent this, but rather they would be looking more closely at traveler's passports to see whether they have been in Thailand for 29/30 days and then traveling in/out the same day or perhaps only spending one night away from Thailand - that kind of travel.

There is a difference between a legitimate tourist/business traveler like the first type I've described, and the second type. This despite both traveling into and out of Thailand by air.

It's interesting to see that they're already deporting people arriving by air in Phuket.

This situation is going to get ugly fast.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725414-russian-denied-entry-at-phuket-international-airport-over-visa-crackdown/?p=7808831

Firstly the lady was not deported,she was refused entry. And as mentioned (and linked to) in the same thread there is ample evidence that this young lady was working illegally in Phuket. She had the misfortune of providing her employment details on her LinkedIn page...So this, contrary to your intent, actually supports this threads topic - that Thai Immigration is trying to do something about foreigners working illegally and that they are well aware of foreigner's petty deceptions aimed at keeping themselves here and working. I believe there will be few issues for those here who respect the limitations of being a guest in Thailand, but for those in the grey area, hiding in the cracks may well have become much more difficult.

• Like 1

Anyone got current news from the land border crossings? . Are the border shuttles still running or shutting down? Other than than Mae Sot and just the one Russian lady at the airport (who was arguably an object lesson...) we don't seem to be hearing any reports of arrivals being turned back.

Edited by hawker9000

My wife just got her IR-1 visa to america and she will be granted her Green Card upon arrival. going through the paperwork was somewhat of a hassle but it was a relatively easy process. I much rather deal with the american immigration restriction than Thailand's immigration. This latest crackdown is a prime reason why

Adding that the process your wife went through is a one-time deal which "sorts" her for life, without ANY additional processes EVER.

thumbsup.gif

Conversely a mate of mine has been trying to get his Thai wife a simple visa for the USA for years ands has been repeatedly denied. They live and work out of KL, she has her own money and he earns big in the oil biz. Both have higher education, no criminal records, they provide evidence of return flights... His family is in NC and mom and dad are a doctor and lawyer - the country-club set... Why? Discretion of the Immigration Office is all the response they get.

Having worked in Thailand as well as lots of other countries, why on earth would one want to work in LOS?

thumbsup.gif

Sorry to bust your bubble but there will be a few more hoops to jump threw, a friend of mine married a Philippino 3 years later they were still having to do paper work and confirm her status in the states and that was only a couple of years ago

No bubble burst at all.

My Filipina wife did the same process Tanis' wife did and has stayed in the USA without ANY additional processes for the past 33 years (aka EVER). The same can be said for literally dozens of co-workers with the exact same experience. (yep, a lot of sailors have Filipina wives).

There's many reasons why the Green Card is sought after. The above is but one of the reasons.

;)

As usual these changes are not aimed specifically at Europeans, they are there or being implemented for a reason. We just don't really know what it is as has been said suspect Asean 2015.

Not really any different from the reasons behind not allowing "foreigners" to own land.

Oil field workers on legit turnarounds will likely not be affected as they have been away for some weeks before returning.

Decide to live long term in Indonesia and find out how easy it is there to get repeat visas, unless one lives in Batam!

Legitimate tourists will get "real" visas and if they don't have a job which limits holiday length they can buy up to 4 tourist visas should they decide during their holiday to whimsically leave and return.

I do feel for the "retired" people at the lower income end of the spectrum but many simply overstay and pay up 20 years later!

On a whimsical note I wonder if immigration pays a visit to funerals at the wat to ensure the departing has not overstayed?

Edited by VocalNeal

It's interesting to see that they're already deporting people arriving by air in Phuket.

This situation is going to get ugly fast.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725414-russian-denied-entry-at-phuket-international-airport-over-visa-crackdown/?p=7808831

Firstly the lady was not deported,she was refused entry. And as mentioned (and linked to) in the same thread there is ample evidence that this young lady was working illegally in Phuket. She had the misfortune of providing her employment details on her LinkedIn page...

She did a Homer Simpson with that bit of not thinking.

post-207942-0-14752300-1399873815_thumb.

When I'm doing something illegal, must remember not to advertise it for the world to see

• Like 2

So...come August Thailand can kiss goodbye to all the oil and gas and mining lads who fly in and out on month on, month off rosters?

That is possible, would be sad as most of those guys are actually good spenders. I could think of a solution for them.

Retirement visa age is also supposed to be increased to 55. That will make things even worse!

Somehow I doubt they will be affected. Seeing that they are not living on back-to-back 30 day visa exempt entries. Rather, my understanding is that these guys are coming to Thailand on 30 day exempt entries, spending lets say 29 days in Thailand, going back to work for a month or 6 weeks then coming back. These people are NOT visa runners and thus I don't see how they would be affected. It would be different if they were doing 2 or 3 back-to-back 30 day entries but seeing they are on 1 month on/off rosters I doubt it.

• Like 1

She did a Homer Simpson with that bit of not thinking.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

When I'm doing something illegal, must remember not to advertise it for the world to see

I feel that many farang here assume because they have been exploiting loop-holes so cleverly that Thai officials have no idea what is going on. It is the complete opposite. They know exactly what going on, its just they have, previously, chosen to do nothing about it. It reminds me of the police in our village. They appear to be doing very little and let 99% of things slide... but when you speak with them and press them about the village goings-on they know way more than the gossipy auntie down the road and are totally aware of all the nefarious activities in the village - they just choose a laissez-faire attitude until they have to do something!

• Like 1

Anyone got current news from the land border crossings? . Are the border shuttles still running or shutting down? Other than than Mae Sot and just the one Russian lady at the airport (who was arguably an object lesson...) we don't seem to be hearing any reports of arrivals being turned back.

I did a visa run yesterday (Sunday) to Malasia, nobody had any problems

Edited by philthebook

"From today visitors can only enter into Thailand via a land border once, after that they will be refused entry to the Kingdom"

Can this be right?

If you are a tourist staying in Thailand and you make a trip to Siam Reap pop back, and then go to Laos for a couple of days, you won't be able to come back into the kingdom??????

How difficult is it to get a Tourist visa. And then you have no problem with this trip.

Thailand offers visitors from several countries a visa-less entry. Many people who come to the region use thailand as a hub for their travels. This form if entry therefore is very convenient.

If you buy a tourist visa, quite apart from the cost, it expires as soon as you leave regardless of how long you have stayed...so a one month stay in Thailand with excursions to Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia could become a very costly exercise not to mention the red tape and time spent arranging the visas.

So fly in and out every 30 days won't be affected?

It will be effected in August 2014.

Correct.

It seems that as of 12 August border runs by air will also no longer be allowed.

How is that going to work? Will there be a minimum number of days you must leave the kingdom? I know a number of people that come for a month and go for a month throughout the year. Will they be effected?

Edit: And how do we know it will be affected Aug. 12th? Has there been an official statement or is this inside info?

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

"From today visitors can only enter into Thailand via a land border once, after that they will be refused entry to the Kingdom"

Can this be right?

If you are a tourist staying in Thailand and you make a trip to Siam Reap pop back, and then go to Laos for a couple of days, you won't be able to come back into the kingdom??????

How difficult is it to get a Tourist visa. And then you have no problem with this trip.

Thailand offers visitors from several countries a visa-less entry. Many people who come to the region use thailand as a hub for their travels. This form if entry therefore is very convenient.

If you buy a tourist visa, quite apart from the cost, it expires as soon as you leave regardless of how long you have stayed...so a one month stay in Thailand with excursions to Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia could become a very costly exercise not to mention the red tape and time spent arranging the visas.

Ah, but real tourists can use visa exempt entries.

Multiple re-entry permit?

thumbsup.gif

i never said it was easy or hassle free. There were many hoops we had to jump through and the waiting time was nearly unbearable. The last obstacle for us was me re-establishing "domicle" since I had lived in Thailand for seven years. The last package that I sent was nearly four inches thick with evidence that I was planning on moving back. It's not a walk in the park nor would I recommend anyone doing this on their own if they do not have an eye for detail or outside legal help. My point that I was trying to make is that American rules are black and white with very little gray area whereas Thai immigration rules are entirely in gray.

Can anyone confirm this apples to all nationalities? Me and my girlfriend read this over and we don't understand why it says "เช่น เกาหลี ฯลฯ" and specifically singles out Korea. We just called the Chiang Mai immigration office and they said we still get 4 entires x 30 days without a valid visa AND on the 11th 9:00PM at Mae Sai I was given 30 days (tourist visa expired on the 13th) and was told in no uncertain terms we get 4 entires at 30 days each. I'm getting suspicious this doesn't apply to all nationalities or they're profiling certain countries.

• Like 1

I did a visa run yesterday (Sunday) to Malasia, nobody had any problems

Is that a visa run with a multi entry visa or a border hop with a 30 day stamp ( not a visa ) in your passport ?

Can anyone confirm this apples to all nationalities? Me and my girlfriend read this over and we don't understand why it says "เช่น เกาหลี ฯลฯ" and specifically singles out Korea. We just called the Chiang Mai immigration office and they said we still get 4 entires x 30 days without a valid visa AND on the 11th 9:00PM at Mae Sai I was given 30 days (tourist visa expired on the 13th) and was told in no uncertain terms we get 4 entires at 30 days each. I'm getting suspicious this doesn't apply to all nationalities or they're profiling certain countries.

It applies to all nationalities eligible for visa exempt entries. Koreans was used as an example perhaps because they get 90 day entries byway of a bilateral agreement.

I don't think these new rules have gone fully into effect and it certainly would not be known about by every immigration officer you talk to.

It applies to all nationalities eligible for visa exempt entries. Koreans was used as an example perhaps because they get 90 day entries byway of a bilateral agreement.

I don't think these new rules have gone fully into effect and it certainly would not be known about by every immigration officer you talk to.

Chong Chom Border Crossing still wide open,for the moment.whistling.gif

That seems to be unclear. The directive says something like "targeted nationalities", without telling what these targeted nationalities are.

All the socialist-minded backpackers must now become ruthless capitalists!!! Money will solve many problems. This law enforced will get more money from people who overstay. 500 a day is good income. watch that fine go to 1,000 a day. Definitely the max of 20k is way too low. I predict that will go to 100k.

Maybe just 500 a day no limit. A limit just seems to reward people for overstaying a long time :P

That seems to be unclear. The directive says something like "targeted nationalities", without telling what these targeted nationalities are.

It never specially says all nationalities and I don't see where it mentions "targeted nationalities" (I don't see the word nationality repeated ever expect in the context of "Korea etc..." at the top). They did make it clear they are targeting visa runners however but I don't see where is places restrictions on certain kinds of visas etc... My Thai isn't great and there are words here I don't understand but it seems like this could apply to buying back to back visas. I'm going to make more calls and read this over with my girlfriend to make sure our reading is matching what people are saying here. Is the original poster Thai of fluent and did they translate this correctly for all of us?

They are following the new rule again at Mae Sot today (12th).

Thanks for posting an actual on-the-ground report. thumbsup.gif

So what is Thai immigrations doing, advising people to not cross the border?

Turning people (without visa's) away trying to leave Thailand so you don't get stranded in Myanmar. I got told to either fly out or go to Vientiane embassy for a tourist visa.