Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

I read in the Bangkok Post this week that, due to the massive decline in tourists, TOT and other agencies are going to require hundreds of millions of baht to start a new 'Visit Thailand Campaign'...

Introducing a clamp down of non-status visitors might be a good thing but the timing of it looks....well....daft!

it looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and these are the kind of problems you get when you don't have a functioning government.

but in practical terms, this "crack down" will not affect the vast majority of legitimate tourist's, the ones that this really affects are those actually living in Thailand full time without a proper visa and claiming to be a tourist, which they are not.

If you read what they are upto, if you can prove to immigration you are legitimate tourist, eg hotel bookings, air tickets, itineraries etc, you will not have a problem...

Thousands of present tourists do not have onward air tickets, itineraries or booked accomodation, as they like to wander about Thailand, border hop to visit Angkor Wat etc etc. On a different forum, I like to tell newbies to just go with the flow, and that there is no need to book accomodation.

Given that today's backpacker is tomorrow's flashpacker, it is a foolish official indeed that pisses them off. Remember that a satisfied tourist might tell a few people, but an angry one will tell everyone.

• Like 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most negatives were towards rumour-spreading with no factual basis (50-55) btw...

To me it comes across as unsolicited advertising (again, fully understanding that he is paying the site admin for this privilege). Why not start a searchable thread expounding the virtues of the school, its curriculum, and its potential visa benefits? Those curious, or in need of these services would be targeted, rather than randomly cold-calling posters in quasi-relevant threads.

What's wrong with a bit of useful promotion? It's a win-win situation and I suppose you don't know he's a sponsor on here. At the end of the day, this forum is a business. If it wasn't making money it wouldn't be here offering the public a valuable source of information... and to make money it requires sponsors.,

Get off his back - he has a very good school and a lot of people who read this would be unaware of the option of an education visa. The fact that he's here right at the start of this news shows he's on the ball.,

Huh? My post was not in any way 'getting on his back' and as I stated in my post which you quoted, I know quite well that he is a sponsor. Weird.

With comments such as: "to me it comes across as unsolicited advertising" and "why not start a searchable thread....."

That's a fair bit of "getting on his back".

I think most negatives were towards rumour-spreading with no factual basis (50-55) btw...

To me it comes across as unsolicited advertising (again, fully understanding that he is paying the site admin for this privilege). Why not start a searchable thread expounding the virtues of the school, its curriculum, and its potential visa benefits? Those curious, or in need of these services would be targeted, rather than randomly cold-calling posters in quasi-relevant threads.

What's wrong with a bit of useful promotion? It's a win-win situation and I suppose you don't know he's a sponsor on here. At the end of the day, this forum is a business. If it wasn't making money it wouldn't be here offering the public a valuable source of information... and to make money it requires sponsors.,

Get off his back - he has a very good school and a lot of people who read this would be unaware of the option of an education visa. The fact that he's here right at the start of this news shows he's on the ball.,

Huh? My post was not in any way 'getting on his back' and as I stated in my post which you quoted, I know quite well that he is a sponsor. Weird.

With comments such as: "to me it comes across as unsolicited advertising" and "why not start a searchable thread....."

I think he had a fair point. If you are going to represent yourself as a respectable school that offers quality Thai language courses and can assist with applications for ED visas then surely the place to make posts about your services is in threads about learning Thai, not threads about immigration crackdowns. Otherwise it looks like you are actually just offering a visa service and incidentally, you can study Thai as well if you like.
  • Like 1

No, the first one was a politely stated personal opinion (which is the purpose of this forum), the second was a genuine suggestion towards better targeting his audience rather than the method he is using now which seemed to be garnering criticism and irritation from some members.

With all the posts which have been truly bashing this site sponsor, and ignoring the fact that in your first swipe at me you accused me of not knowing he was a sponsor even though I clearly stated I did understand that in my second sentence, I just find it weird you singled mine out, which is, at worst benign and at best helpful feedback...

It really wouldn't bother me at all if every third post was a sponsors advertorial as my computer has the ability to scroll past posts I have no intention of reading.

How will this affect a certain visa waiver FIFO type who comes 5 or 6 times a yeay staying one week to 3 weeks at a time? I usually stay "Out of Kingdom"at least 6 weeks.

Edited by arunsakda

The key word is In-Out. They look for people living (and working) contiously in Thailand on visa exempt entries. Not for someone who regularly stays in Thailand, but not coninously and claerly doesn' live here.

The key word is In-Out. They look for people living (and working) contiously in Thailand on visa exempt entries. Not for someone who regularly stays in Thailand, but not coninously and claerly doesn' live here.

Hope so. I have thought about this actually for a while, first of all I want to get the Yellow Book for my condo, get a drivers license and maybe a vehicle. But I have never had more than the 30 day stamp. Too young for a "retirement" visa. No time too study Thai/ED. If necessary I would seek a multiple entry tourist visa but initially would be a huge hassle for me as I travel constantly and require my passport for work.

Right now it feels my whole lifestyle is in under assault!

Wouldn't it be more productive to enforce the law and pay traditional illicit workplaces a visit, instead of pushing the problem to Thai embassies around the World and upsetting the life of genuine long term (non-working) visitors.

Joe-blow scuba diving instructor can easy apply for a tourist visa and continue working without a work permit.

• Like 2

So after 12th August Visa Runs will not be available by Air as well..............So how long do you you need to be away from Thailand before presenting yourself again for a Visa Exempt entry......??

They (Immigration) are trying to identify people who use visa exemptions to enter the country and stay here (live) for one month then leave and return again on a visa exempt entry.

Those people are highly likely to be financing their life in Thailand by working illegally.

If they were to pay to fly out and stay away for a couple of days, do you honestly think the immigration people won't still figure out that they are living in Thailand; and as a result suspect them to be working illegally?

I guess it depends how much money a person makes whilst working illegally here.

Someone working as a teacher without a work permit probably doesn't have the cash or the available time to spend even a few days each month flying to Singapore, or some other country, staying in a hotel then flying back after a short break.

Someone who works online and makes anything from 0 to 100's of thousands of baht a month, can probably easily afford to spend a week every month on shopping and party trips to any number of cities in Asia.

Whilst these new rules may affect some legitimate tourists, the real target is not tourists but people living here (and working illegally).

As many have already said, the rules here are out of date for the modern connected world, but I'm not holding my breath for the Thai Immigration to start allowing Digital Nomads to live here and work online.

It would be superb if they had an annual quota for these digital nomads. Allow say 10,000 solo entrepreneurs that work online to get a work permit and a valid visa each year. The application process could require that the applicant show x number of years of website / traffic / revenue or something..... The fee could be a flat fee. 60,000 baht per year wouldn't be too bad and that would add 600 million baht a year to the Immigration coffers.

• Like 1

So fly in and out every 30 days won't be affected?

If you have too many stamps in your passport they will think you live in Thailand so they will refuse you to enter. But you could always go too your home embassy and ask for a new passport.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The key word is In-Out.

Like I said in another thread. People are realy kidding themselves if they think that they will not be affected on a multiple entry non imm or tourist visa. Visa runs on multi-entry visas are not in the spirit of immigration policy. The authorities didn't create multiple entries so people could walk over the bridge and turn back around.

People on multi-entry visas will likely be the next hit.

• Like 2

So after 12th August Visa Runs will not be available by Air as well..............So how long do you you need to be away from Thailand before presenting yourself again for a Visa Exempt entry......??

They (Immigration) are trying to identify people who use visa exemptions to enter the country and stay here (live) for one month then leave and return again on a visa exempt entry.

Those people are highly likely to be financing their life in Thailand by working illegally.

If they were to pay to fly out and stay away for a couple of days, do you honestly think the immigration people won't still figure out that they are living in Thailand; and as a result suspect them to be working illegally?

Someone working as a teacher without a work permit probably doesn't have the cash or the available time to spend even a few days each month flying to Singapore, or some other country, staying in a hotel then flying back after a short break.

Someone who works online and makes anything from 0 to 100's of thousands of baht a month, can probably easily afford to spend a week every month on shopping and party trips to any number of cities in Asia.

Whilst these new rules may affect some legitimate tourists, the real target is not tourists but people living here (and working illegally).

As many have already said, the rules here are out of date for the modern connected world, but I'm not holding my breath for the Thai Immigration to start allowing Digital Nomads to live here and work online.

It would be superb if they had an annual quota for these digital nomads. Allow say 10,000 solo entrepreneurs that work online to get a work permit and a valid visa each year. The application process could require that the applicant show x number of years of website / traffic / revenue or something..... The fee could be a flat fee. 60,000 baht per year wouldn't be too bad and that would add 600 million baht a year to the Immigration coffers.

Thank you for your reply but you haven't answered the point I made !!

I'm suggesting that after 12th August perhaps a month away will ensure Immigration believe that you dont indeed live within Thailand ??

I read in the Bangkok Post this week that, due to the massive decline in tourists, TOT and other agencies are going to require hundreds of millions of baht to start a new 'Visit Thailand Campaign'...

Introducing a clamp down of non-status visitors might be a good thing but the timing of it looks....well....daft!

it looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and these are the kind of problems you get when you don't have a functioning government.

but in practical terms, this "crack down" will not affect the vast majority of legitimate tourist's, the ones that this really affects are those actually living in Thailand full time without a proper visa and claiming to be a tourist, which they are not.

If you read what they are upto, if you can prove to immigration you are legitimate tourist, eg hotel bookings, air tickets, itineraries etc, you will not have a problem...

Thousands of present tourists do not have onward air tickets, itineraries or booked accomodation, as they like to wander about Thailand, border hop to visit Angkor Wat etc etc. On a different forum, I like to tell newbies to just go with the flow, and that there is no need to book accomodation.

Given that today's backpacker is tomorrow's flashpacker, it is a foolish official indeed that pisses them off. Remember that a satisfied tourist might tell a few people, but an angry one will tell everyone.

True and in any case, Thailand could follow what China does and ask for hotel bookings or an invitation letter from a locally based expat or Thai citizen inviting that person to Thailand (although that process occurs when you apply for your visa not at the border). However, I suspect that's not going to happen. Instead, it's not difficult for even a backpacker to show some evidence of funds or have some idea about where he/she is going to stay. So I suspect not much will change as a result of these changes. Also, most backpackers are hardly even going to be questioned at immigration, only the long term visa runners will be.

Can any body try and get a handle on the number of people who may be affected by this ??

How many people might be living here and reliant on back to back and tourist visas. ??

On my trips up to Maisai / Tachileck I reckon about 300 westerners cross that border every day, but it could be double that.

Must be more than that for border crossings near Pattaya.

Any informed guesses as to how many people affected by these new rules ???

Thank you for your reply but you haven't answered the point I made !!

I'm suggesting that after 12th August perhaps a month away will ensure Immigration believe that you dont indeed live within Thailand ??

Chivas, my point was that if you are not living here then they probably won't mind you going out and back in after a few days, so long as you can show that you are only here for a few months out of the year.

If however you are *living here* then how likely is it that you can afford to live one month in Thailand then fly somewhere else for a month, before coming back in and starting again. And if you did do one month in, one month out where would you say you were living??

I'm lucky, I have family in Macau so not only is it a cheap flight for me, but I don't have to pay for accommodation, food or drink (and I get to see my awesome family). So I spend between 3 - 10 days a month in Macau.

However, I've been caught in this net because as there is no Thai consulate in Macau and as I'm a Brit, I've just been coming in for 30 days at a time on the visa exemptions for the past 8 months.

I was of course aware that I (and to a degree also Immigration) were flexing the rules but no-one ever questioned me coming in (or going out) and the RTP law pertaining to visits specifically does not mention any limit on how many times you can come in or how much time you can spend here as a tourist....

Until they decided to change it the other day.....

I fly out on the 23rd and had intended to fly back in on the 26th (of this month), now I'm going to have to take a side trip to Hong Kong and try to get either a 60 day Tourist visa or possible apply for a Non B as I'm (fingers crossed) in the process of setting up a business and the lawyer is working on my work permit.

I'm slightly concerned that immigration will look at my 7 visa exempt stamps and want to know what I've been doing here all this time..... Not sure how I explain it has taken me that long (actually longer) to find the right business and partners to start a company in Bangkok.

I guess to answer your question, I don't know (I wish I did) but logic would dictate if you don't look like you've been living in Thailand (and as a result maybe working) then you should be ok.

It's a pity they (immigration) don't have a help desk people can visit to ask "am I going to have problems?" with of course an amnesty for anyone who might have broken their new rules, so the person can go and fix their status

Can any body try and get a handle on the number of people who may be affected by this ??

How many people might be living here and reliant on back to back and tourist visas. ??

On my trips up to Maisai / Tachileck I reckon about 300 westerners cross that border every day, but it could be double that.

Not that I have any first hand knowledge (as I'm not a teacher), but my friends who are say that almost every school has a couple of Filipina teachers who do border runs every 15 days and that all those girls will be stuffed as the schools do not get them work permits.

I'm guessing this new ruling will cause issues for thousands of people living here and relying on visa runs.

The key word is In-Out.

Like I said in another thread. People are realy kidding themselves if they think that they will not be affected on a multiple entry non imm or tourist visa. Visa runs on multi-entry visas are not in the spirit of immigration policy. The authorities didn't create multiple entries so people could walk over the bridge and turn back around.

People on multi-entry visas will likely be the next hit.

This is one of the scenarios I expect later in the year. It's a logical progression when you think about it.

First they stop people doing visa exempt exits/entries, that will of course make no difference to anything, to believe otherwise would be idiocy. Then they will look at the tourist visa exit entries and conclude that those who were previously doing visa exempt runs every 15 or 30 days have now moved over to using tourist visas.

If they ban people from doing back to back tourist visa entries that's when the shit will really hit the fan as it will affect a lot of people who are living here whether they're working or not this will be a huge number of people. Unlike the people who do border runs every month the group of people who use tourist visas and regular foreign travel back to Europe/US, etc includes the unmarried non working independently wealthy under 50's of which there are a lot.

The immigration department down in Cambodia are probably hiring and training people to issue those 1 year business visas right now in anticipation of the influx of new residents.

• Like 1

Not that I have any first hand knowledge (as I'm not a teacher), but my friends who are say that almost every school has a couple of Filipina teachers who do border runs every 15 days and that all those girls will be stuffed as the schools do not get them work permits.

I'm guessing this new ruling will cause issues for thousands of people living here and relying on visa runs.

A filipina friend of mine just mentioned the same thing. There are many of them who do the in out visa exempt and tourist visa thing. Feel terrible for them.

• Like 1

It appears you can only stay up to 90 days in any 6 month period.

[ Furthermore, foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry. ]

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html

It appears you can only stay up to 90 days in any 6 month period.

[ Furthermore, foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry. ]

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html

Dated April 10th, 2012..

The elephant in the room question is how will the many foreigners who have run bars and businesses in Thailand for years face the prospect of seeing the end draw near?

In Phuket there has been a surge in the last several years of Russians running business's which have forced out the locals.

There is a huge black market and money operation running with Farangs who are in Thailand on back to back tourist visas with no legal right to be in the Kingdom. And just like Spain 20 years ago there is a big criminal element washing their,money in Thailand

This is one of the scenarios I expect later in the year. It's a logical progression when you think about it.

First they stop people doing visa exempt exits/entries, that will of course make no difference to anything, to believe otherwise would be idiocy. Then they will look at the tourist visa exit entries and conclude that those who were previously doing visa exempt runs every 15 or 30 days have now moved over to using tourist visas...

They started looking at people with back-to-back tourist visas many years ago. Some examples:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9VURQaX0U83Ape5w_5J3Am5XDJvNawOxbinS9SeY53E?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uKGsCwqzFz8tqaHoh1fHLm5XDJvNawOxbinS9SeY53E?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gCvAyJf4w84u5VQDPYlKVG5XDJvNawOxbinS9SeY53E?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pOZN6LL58Jzw-nVQ_Kw03W5XDJvNawOxbinS9SeY53E?feat=directlink

changes nothing. I have friends who have been here years and have never once crossed any boarder for any visa extension.This is Thailand-have money- do as you please.This will only make those visa fixers a little more money and many local Thai vendors/businesses a little less.

Unfortunately I agree with you.

First they stop people doing visa exempt exits/entries, that will of course make no difference to anything, to believe otherwise would be idiocy. Then they will look at the tourist visa exit entries and conclude that those who were previously doing visa exempt runs every 15 or 30 days have now moved over to using tourist visas...

They started looking at people with back-to-back tourist visas many years ago. Some examples:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9VURQaX0U83Ape5w_5J3Am5XDJvNawOxbinS9SeY53E?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uKGsCwqzFz8tqaHoh1fHLm5XDJvNawOxbinS9SeY53E?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gCvAyJf4w84u5VQDPYlKVG5XDJvNawOxbinS9SeY53E?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pOZN6LL58Jzw-nVQ_Kw03W5XDJvNawOxbinS9SeY53E?feat=directlink

It looks like they mean business this time. Limited tourist visas are being issued to people in various consulates and embassies in the Asian region for some time now. When this spreads to Europe and the US things will become difficult for people who travel the world picking up visas in far away places where there are less restrictions.

First they're coming for the 'low hanging fruit', those using multiple visa exempt entries to live here. Next up will be the people who use tourist visas to continuously live here.

The reason given for these actions are that they're looking for criminals and illegal workers - I suspect this is merely a diversionary tactic, an excuse if you will. I read somewhere that 90% of back to back visa exempt 'long stayers' are supposedly working illegally - I don't believe that figure for one minute. It's an outright lie.

After they come for the 'tourist visa' permatourists who knows what's next but I have a feeling it won't stop there.....The intent is clearly to reduce the number of foreigners residing in the country.

I'm thinking the ED visa system will be targeted, then maybe the retirement system would be up for a review.

I'm sure this process will take some time but they appear to have been collecting figures over time and have a clear objective as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by ukrules

Apparently also the ED option will be made much more difficult:

BANGKOK: -- MAY 5

The Ministry of Eduction (MOE) yesterday announced new, stricter requirements for Education visa extensions.

New application forms for education visa extensions have just been released.
The new requirements are:

1. Two year visa history of the student now required (currently only required for applications submitted in Bangkok)

2. Extra documents required
• Proof of income. (to see if the student can support themselves and not work illegally)
• Reason for long stay in Thailand, if extended time in Thailand prior to application. (to check the student is not just a visa runner who cannot get any more tourists visas.)
Pending applications must be resubmitted using the new forms.

So much for all those thinking they can run to Whalen

• Like 1

My understanding about these new rules is that they were taken upon the pressure of the US after the M370 fly problem where they found that 2 people had faked passport.

It seems that people who are doing visa runs are very hard to localize in case of they make trouble. Other visas are asking your address, picture of you at this address and rental agreement.

But visa runners are on the wild and this applies to many criminals.

Thailand wants to be sure where you are living and that's why they want you to have a proper visa in order to oblige you to give a proof or residency.

I don't think they will touch the retirement and students visa for now, because they provides more information about you and where you are staying.

In the event they make the retirement visa and ED visa harder to extend, expect having more people staying totally illegally with no visa at all, or have an explosion of arranged wedding with all the business around, like in a lot of western countries.

Edited by nikkoid66

Apparently also the ED option will be made much more difficult:

BANGKOK: -- MAY 5

The Ministry of Eduction (MOE) yesterday announced new, stricter requirements for Education visa extensions.

New application forms for education visa extensions have just been released.

The new requirements are:

1. Two year visa history of the student now required (currently only required for applications submitted in Bangkok)

2. Extra documents required

• Proof of income. (to see if the student can support themselves and not work illegally)

• Reason for long stay in Thailand, if extended time in Thailand prior to application. (to check the student is not just a visa runner who cannot get any more tourists visas.)

Pending applications must be resubmitted using the new forms.

So much for all those thinking they can run to Whalen

Old news, see this thread, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691465-stricter-requirements-new-application-forms-for-ed-visa-extensions/

In the event they make the retirement visa and ED visa harder to extend, expect having more people staying totally illegally with no visa at all, or have an explosion of arranged wedding with all the business around, like in a lot of western countries.

Which will then make getting marriage extensions harder. It's already a lot of paperwork. Only those who have a legitimate Thai children are likely to be left relatively safe and even then the amount of money you need to have on you bank account can be raised to levels that keep most out.

This all could be just because of the current political tensions are making everybody grumpy, foreigners are an easy target. That said, it has been quite stable for a number of year, the police order for extensions is from 2008.

My understanding about these new rules is that they were taken upon the pressure of the US after the M370 fly problem where they found that 2 people had faked passport.

It seems that people who are doing visa runs are very hard to localize in case of they make trouble. Other visas are asking your address, picture of you at this address and rental agreement.

But visa runners are on the wild and this applies to many criminals.

This makes no logical sense.. It was a story the Phuket news put up, and then stuck to despite the boss of immigration clearly stating it was about farangs living here on 30 days stamps.

In the case of the flight 370 passports.. They were stolen on Phuket, posted to malaysia, and doctored and used outside of Thailand.. How exactly does this have any benefit in this timeline ??

Secondly, if the aim is to catch people using passports that are not their own, surely the aim is to see those passports as frequently as possible ?? to make them use them and cross borders over and over. The more they are used, the more they have a chance of being discovered no ?? They have a passport number database, every border runners passport goes through that database, so the more often this has to be done the greater the chance of catching them.

Hence the 370 story was a knee jerk conclusion by a hack paper and they then didnt admit it.

In Pattaya you can get ED visas for 18000 baht , valid 1 year . You can learn any language , I can understand that immigration want to check if you can afford living here as well , but no big deal if you keep some money in a Thai account.

They can't refuse you to learn a language.