Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a motorcycle thats not Thai that I have to take out of the country, do they insist I fly it out ??

I have already posted that it is now prudent for anyone relying on visa exemptions to ensure all or their assets are sold and bank balances transfer out of Thailand before doing a border crossing. This is just good sense to protect your own interests.

I predict a minor bank run in places such as Phuket as the oil and gas and mining guys take their money with them.

Edited by fatdrunkandstupid

Walen School can help you with your ED visas if you need help. Very reliable service and fair price for the quality of work we do. We have 11 branches in Thailand so there is one probably near where you live. You can also PM me.

Now here's a man who's going to do very well out of it! biggrin.png

Good on ya Mac! thumbsup.gif

I'm just helping if one needs help.

• Like 1

Mai Sai is a bad spot to be stuck at. Long and not too safe drive back to Yangon to get onto a plane. Good luck. I suggest city bus to Yangon. Private cars driving the back roads is not too safe in Myanmar.

Have some cash on you! biggrin.png

I think this measure is aimed at the "poor" foreigners as I called Immigration this week after the announcement in regards to Ranong who said that flying in and out is fine but obviously more expensive and presumably the Thai government makes money on tax (which often is not explained by airlines well as there are so many charges, security charge, Passenger fee etc) including in the ticket. Glad I am on my last Visa Run. Next month I am getting a Non-O for 2000Baht giving me 1 year and I only have to go to Immigration about 10kms away every ninety days and no fee. Hopefully my last ever Visa Run now I am 50 years old.

Non o multi is 5500 thb , 2000 is for 90 days

This would seem to be the same old sabre rattling 'crackdown' if they were serious then all land borders in the country would be strictly enforcing the rules at the same time for a few months, that would be an effective way to deal with those that abuse the system. I'm not sure whether it's by accident/incompetence or design but there's always a way here in Thailand.

I am glad that there always seems to be another option open, because even if you play by the rules and work within the system, you are at the mercy of Thai bureaucracy and could easily find yourself needing to do a border run. I am fortunate that I've been on a non immigrant B visa here for 6/7 years and I've never needed to do a visa run, but it's been a close run thing at times.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Retirement visa age is also supposed to be increased to 55. That will make things even worse!

Do you have a reliable source for this piece of information?

I can't find anything on google that supports your comment.

Retirement visa age is also supposed to be increased to 55. That will make things even worse!

Do you have a reliable source for this piece of information?

I can't find anything on google that supports your comment.

That is a rumour from the immigration, has been circulating for a while now. I am not sure but It used to be 55 already, they they reduced it to 50. Going back to 55 is quite possible. I am not an expert when it comes to retirement visas.

post-46756-0-87960400-1399712479_thumb.p

Edited by MacWalen

Looks like visa on arrival could soon be history.

People have to get a visa which makes more money for the bent officials.

Does anyone know how much a visa is these days?

May not be cancelled because it is about intercountry agreement. If Thailand cancelled one day, other countries may cancel their entry visa exemption for Thai citizens as well.

Well, it depends on the definition of border run in legal texts.

For example, exiting Thailand for Cambodia and going next to Lao, then coming back to Thailand. Is this considered as a border run?

Fascinating question. Try it, then post how it worked for you.

I sometimes wonder if Thailand wants visitors visiting the Kingdom if those who do these runs every month are given a hard time they will take their money and spend it somewhere else which in return will have an adverse effect on Thailand . I was under the impression that a single type visa was / would be available for Asian countries or have I been misguided. One rule that needs to be changed is that those people on extension of stay visas ( retirement ) should all be treated the same way why should a falang married to a Thai get away with only having to have 40,000 per month whereas a Falang married to a Falang has to have 65,000 every month !!!

Th married bloke saves 25,000 a month with less whoring!!!!!

• Like 1

People such as oil and gas guys wont want to waste their valuable time off travelling to an embassy in another country then waiting for a visa just so they can have their month off. These blokes will be lost to other countries such as Cambodia and The PI who still have sane and workable visa policies. Their departure will be a enormous financial blow to Phuket.

You really do spout the most stupid drivel imaginable. :huh:

No offense meant of course. :)

People such as oil and gas guys wont want to waste their valuable time off travelling to an embassy in another country then waiting for a visa just so they can have their month off. These blokes will be lost to other countries such as Cambodia and The PI who still have sane and workable visa policies. Their departure will be a enormous financial blow to Phuket.

wont be back to back will it ...as there will be a 2 week or one month break when they are working so if they are 2 week on 2 week off there is no continuence

• Like 1

Well, it depends on the definition of border run in legal texts.

For example, exiting Thailand for Cambodia and going next to Lao, then coming back to Thailand. Is this considered as a border run?

Fascinating question. Try it, then post how it worked for you.

Well, I'm just asking out of curiosity, as I don't even need it, being on non immi visa.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

changes nothing. I have friends who have been here years and have never once crossed any boarder for any visa extension.This is Thailand-have money- do as you please.This will only make those visa fixers a little more money and many local Thai vendors/businesses a little less.

I disagree. It changes much as there are many people working here sans work permits and have been using this method for staying here for years... might I say illegally. This is not a pay someone under the table type thing and get what you want. And a lot of these people who are doing this don't have money to pay visa fixers. They get on the van on go to Poi Pet and come back the next day.

Maybe you don't have friends that do this, but this doesn't mean that it changes nothing, as you say.

So...come August Thailand can kiss goodbye to all the oil and gas and mining lads who fly in and out on month on, month off rosters?

I don't see this affecting them, they are not travelling in and out on the same day...

I know a good number of them here on Phuket, and I have over the years seen them do dozens of in and outs up to Ranong and also down to Penang.

Hopefully this crackdown will be like many others, short lived. A lot of people legitimately working, studying, living, or touring here, do border runs occasionally between visas. They should be able to differentiate between someone doing it a few times, and someone doing it for 5 years.

I would ' t bet on it, soon there will be a non-elected gouvernment and with Suthep in charge things might even get worse.The elites want again absolute control to denen their Position and privileges.

• Like 1

Why would the Visa On Arrival be in jeopardy ?

The Visa Exempt Arrival on the other hand.................