Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

Hopefully this crackdown will be like many others, short lived. A lot of people legitimately working, studying, living, or touring here, do border runs occasionally between visas. They should be able to differentiate between someone doing it a few times, and someone doing it for 5 years.

One would hope that those who are studying or working here are doing so on the appropriate visa.

They are. But visas run out, people change jobs, change schools, move to different parts of the country, etc. It affects people who are between visas. Many do border runs for a couple months, while waiting for new paperwork.

You know it at least a couple of months before the visa runs out. It's not like they suddenly end and you didn't have a clue.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...come August Thailand can kiss goodbye to all the oil and gas and mining lads who fly in and out on month on, month off rosters?

I don't think so. It will probably mean just a check to see if they just flew out the same day they returned.

It is to early to even speculate what those changes will be.

Ridiculous and unworkable. So if in Phuket I cannot then do a day trip to Singapore for banking or shopping?

How many genuine tourists come to Thailand, go to Singapore for a day shopping and banking, and then return to Thailand for the remainder of their vacation? You may be the sort of perpetual "tourist" they are aiming at. Good luck in Indonesia with your 25 year visa anyways.

Looks like visa on arrival could soon be history.

People have to get a visa which makes more money for the bent officials.

Does anyone know how much a visa is these days?

People such as oil and gas guys wont want to waste their valuable time off travelling to an embassy in another country then waiting for a visa just so they can have their month off. These blokes will be lost to other countries such as Cambodia and The PI who still have sane and workable visa policies. Their departure will be a enormous financial blow to Phuket.

wont be back to back will it ...as there will be a 2 week or one month break when they are working so if they are 2 week on 2 week off there is no continuence

Impossible to say at this stage, who knows what ludicrous requirements will be imposed in August on the fly out fly in visa exemptions.

Edited by fatdrunkandstupid

Well, it depends on the definition of border run in legal texts.

For example, exiting Thailand for Cambodia and going next to Lao, then coming back to Thailand. Is this considered as a border run?

Fascinating question. Try it, then post how it worked for you.

Well, I'm just asking out of curiosity, as I don't even need it, being on non immi visa.

Quite amazing how you can get clueless responses...in fact...why respond at all, if it does not answer the question. I am hoping there is somebody that has tried this. I would not be the one to drop my laptop, run over to Cambodia, drive over all those horrible roads, and then cross back in from Laos, not knowing if they will be upset for my troubles.

anyways...much cheaper to fly in and fly out. How many times can you do that, I wonder?

can you do this back to back endlessly? Not a cost effective method...but I am just curious.

(please do not tell me to purchase several tickets and then try it out and report back)

Retirement visa age is also supposed to be increased to 55. That will make things even worse!

Do you have a reliable source for this piece of information?

I can't find anything on google that supports your comment.

That is a rumour from the immigration, has been circulating for a while now. I am not sure but It used to be 55 already, they they reduced it to 50. Going back to 55 is quite possible. I am not an expert when it comes to retirement visas.

I believe here isn't the right place to spread rumors. Even if it's might helpful for your business.

• Like 2

That translation seems to confirm that it is regarding back to back visa exempt entries. It should allow touring around Asia, with several visits to Thailand, but might need proof in form of ickets to home country to show your intend not to continue to live in Thailand.

But of curse hard to say how the different officers at the different borders will interpret the new directive.

• Like 2

Walen School can help you with your ED visas if you need help. Very reliable service and fair price for the quality of work we do. We have 11 branches in Thailand so there is one probably near where you live. You can also PM me.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ED visa scam is the next to come under the microscope. Not the genuine ED learners but the people who use it - ahem - shall we say - flexibly.

Possibly a Thai language test at regular intervals. That would sort the chaff from the wheat so to speak.

There are a lot of visa schools. You can usually tell by the price, if price is very cheap means no lessons or so bad nobody even expects u to attend, maybe 2-3 classrooms only, very few staff, opened recently, this kind of thing. Walen School has 11 branches, it is certainly not a scam so you don't have to worry about us. If you need quality teaching and reliable visa assistance come to Walen School!

Edited by MacWalen

About time this happened.

why ???

perhaps this guy does not live close to a border, which made this method so handy. I fly out each year, get a double entry...but heck yeah....I did some back to backs....why not?

So now, I have to stay overnight, stand in line, and end up staying anyways...

duh

I predict a minor bank run in places such as Phuket as the oil and gas and mining guys take their money with them.

As a mining guy I keep peanuts in my Thai accounts, my money is in Singapore. Most offshore workers do the same - Thailand isn't a place where smart people put their money.

As for me as I'm married to a Thai and come in and out on a multi non-O I'm not affected.

Retirement visa age is also supposed to be increased to 55. That will make things even worse!

That is a rumour from the immigration, has been circulating for a while now. I am not sure but It used to be 55 already, they they reduced it to 50. Going back to 55 is quite possible. I am not an expert when it comes to retirement visas.

Thanks for clearing that up. I hope the information you give on this forum about ED visas is based on facts and not on rumours.

Well... that day has finally come.

One wonders if immigration, in their usual farsightedness, has increased the capacity of neighbouring Thai consulates to deal with the huge influx of proper visa-seekers. Of course, each consulate has the autonomy to refuse to issue visas if the crowds prove too inconvenient for them. Expect chaos on your next visa run.

But don't blame immigration. That department has no power to give visas and no one stationed in consulates. Only the foreign ministry can give visas - and it cannot extend them. As you say, the foreign ministry can not only refuse visas for any reason, or no reason, it also has no connection with immigration.

It's pretty much the same in all countries.

But you are an expert on rumours?

Not an expert but if it used to be 55 it is possible it will be again 55 as the rumour goes. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure it out, does it?

What if I arrive in Thailand without visa, then I plan to go to Lao via land border and stay in Lao but don't come back to Thailand ???

In Mae sot they are saying they can't even leave Thailand !!

Perhaps, in my optimistic, personal, biased, self righteous opinion...

There may be a silver lining in these revelations. I hope, as Thailand is counted amongst 10 other viable retirement options (many of which cater to retirees and their hard earned cash reserves, maybe we will be permitted permanent resident status in the future...much the same as, for example, I did in the Philippines. Report just once a year.... no visa headaches/hassles. A little saved face for my efforts to enjoy the retired life here in Thailand. Making me more human, in the process.

• Like 1

But you are an expert on rumours?

Not an expert, but if it used to be 55 so it is not hard to imagine it can be 55 again as the rumour goes.

As a mining guy I keep peanuts in my Thai accounts, my money is in Singapore. Most offshore workers do the same - Thailand isn't a place where smart people put their money.

OW....although I am not disagreeing with you, as I work O&G and do keep my money in Singapore, think you will upset a lot of the TV faithful with that remark...laugh.png

• Like 2

What if I arrive in Thailand without visa, then I plan to go to Lao via land border and stay in Lao but don't come back to Thailand ???

Did I read this right? I cannot leave Thailand? Oh...good.

That is happening at border points right now.

Did I read this right? I cannot leave Thailand? Oh...good.

I don't know, in mae sot they are saying that they can't go to Myanmar expect if they take the plane -__-

I just don't know how the immigration officer know wether they will come back or not in thailand after their trip to myanmar

Someone requested a translation of the Thai text include in the article. My (unofficial) translation follows as a public service.

แนวทางปฏิบัติของ สตม.ในการตรวจคนเข้าเมืองของบุคคลสัญชาติเป้าหมาย เช่น เกาหลี ฯลฯ มีดังนี้

In practice, the Office of Immigration, in checking persons entering the country, for persons nationalities such as Korean, etc., shall be thus:

1.ห้ามมิให้ด่านชายแดนมีการอนุญาต Out-In ในลักษณะของ Visa run เพื่อให้ได้รับสิทธิในการอยู่ในราชอาณาจักรต่อเนื่องที่มิใช่เหตุผลเพื่อการ ท่องเที่ยว

1. Immigration stations are not allowed to permit Visa run-type Out-Ins that are intended to get the right to live in the Kingdom continuously, that are not for purposes of tourism.

2.กรณีเดินทางโดยอากาศยานหากตรวจพบว่าอาจเป็นการ Out-In ในลักษณะของ Visa run ให้ว่ากล่าวและแนะนำให้ผู้นั้นดำเนินการขอ Visa ให้ถูกต้องตามวัตถุประสงค์ของการเข้ามาในราชอาณาจักร แล้วอนุโลมให้เข้า ตั้งแต่บัดนี้จนถึงวันที่ 12 ส.ค.57 โดยทำเครื่องหมาย O-I ไว้บริเวณรอยตราประทับ และหลังจากวันที่ 12 ส.ค.57 เป็นต้นไป หากเจ้าหน้าที่ตรวจพบเป็นการ Out-In ให้ปฏิเสธการเข้าเมืองผู้นั้น

2. In the case of travel through airports, if the agent discovers that it might be a Visa run-type Out-In, the agent shall comment and advise the traveler to request a visa by the proper procedure to enter the Kingdom, then allow the traveler to enter. From the present until 12 Aug 2557, issue seal type O-I in the traveler's passport. After 12 Aug 2557, if the agent discovers Out-In, deny entry to the traveler.

หมายเหตุ หากผู้ปฏิบัติมีข้อสงสัยหรือพบปัญหาติดต่อ พล.ต.ต.ชิษณุพงศ์ ยุกตะทัต หรือ พล.ต.ต.ณัฐธร เพราะสุนทร รอง ผบช.สตม. แล้วแต่กรณี

Comment: If the practicing agent has questions or encounters problems, contact Police General Chisanuphong Yooktatat or Police General Natatorn Phrawsoonthorn, commanders of Immigration, depending on the case.

Thanks for that Lawrence