BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Fairfield

Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

I think this measure is aimed at the "poor" foreigners as I called Immigration this week after the announcement in regards to Ranong who said that flying in and out is fine but obviously more expensive and presumably the Thai government makes money on tax (which often is not explained by airlines well as there are so many charges, security charge, Passenger fee etc) including in the ticket. Glad I am on my last Visa Run. Next month I am getting a Non-O for 2000Baht giving me 1 year and I only have to go to Immigration about 10kms away every ninety days and no fee. Hopefully my last ever Visa Run now I am 50 years old.

Edited by FiestyFarang

So...come August Thailand can kiss goodbye to all the oil and gas and mining lads who fly in and out on month on, month off rosters?

I don't think so. It will probably mean just a check to see if they just flew out the same day they returned.

It is to early to even speculate what those changes will be.

Ridiculous and unworkable. So if in Phuket I cannot then do a day trip to Singapore for banking or shopping?

Well, now the visa system is so complex that no one understands it. Not even the Thais.

What happens if you are a genuine tourist flying around using VOAs (Visa exemptions on arrival) and you pop over to Indo to surf a bit and then come back to Thailand and then pop over again.

It is all degenerating into the ridiculous...

Not ridiculous in the least.

For your example they would simply get a double or triple entry Tourist Visa. As they will be a tourist making two or three entries to Thailand.

The Visa Exemption is a great way Thais allow tourists to fly in, stay in Thailand for up to 30 days, then leave without needing to get a visa at all. A brilliantly effect system really, for what must be almost 99% of foreign tourists.

For those traveling around the region, simply get a double/triple entry Tourist Visa. :)

Fail to see anything anyway ridiculous about any of it. huh.png

Edited by Som wat
  • Like 2

So...come August Thailand can kiss goodbye to all the oil and gas and mining lads who fly in and out on month on, month off rosters?

That is possible, would be sad as most of those guys are actually good spenders. I could think of a solution for them.

Retirement visa age is also supposed to be increased to 55. That will make things even worse!

Spend their free time and money in Cambodia? Is that your solution? Changed to 55 sounds like rumor mongering.

Edited by rucus7
  • Like 1

Walen School can help you with your ED visas if you need help. Very reliable service and fair price for the quality of work we do. We have 11 branches in Thailand so there is one probably near where you live. You can also PM me.

Now here's a man who's going to do very well out of it! :D

Good on ya Mac! thumbsup.gif

Is this also effective at the airports? Or only land crossings?

I called Immigration earlier this week and air was fine. However this is a second rule and being a Saturday no one can check with Immigration. I think the rule is aimed at "poor" foreigners people that fly also presumably pay some tax to the Thai government although many airlines make it hard to see where the money goes under taxes, security charge, Passenger fee etc.

• Like 1

I have a motorcycle thats not Thai that I have to take out of the country, do they insist I fly it out ??

So a Nong Kai run to Laos for a 60 day plus the 30 day extension is still viable??

Yes.

Retirement visa age is also supposed to be increased to 55. That will make things even worse!

Where are you getting that rumor from???

I haven't heard any speculation along those lines.

We are playing in there back they can rules can change rules how and when they want and believe me if we were all not here they would not give a rats