Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

A post with a link to the Bangkok Post has been removed from view. We are not allowed to have links to their site. Apologies.

If you want to see the article, just Google:

Thai immigration clamps down on visa runs

wai2.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought I would post a song which aptly describes the situation many of us will find ourselves in very soon. Hopefully it will bring a smile before the inevitable tears which are sure to follow....And don't forget...to buy that "One Way Ticket" ...Cheers

Ridiculous and unworkable. So if in Phuket I cannot then do a day trip to Singapore for banking or shopping?

You can get a re-entry permit for such a trip

They are available for all visa types.

Ridiculous and unworkable. So if in Phuket I cannot then do a day trip to Singapore for banking or shopping?

Allow me to specify: can buy a re-entry permit, for the privilege.

BUY? its called a fee, Immigration is not a charity service,

But welcome to skip it and just obtain a new visa for 10 times thatthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

BUY? its called a fee, Immigration is not a charity service,

But welcome to skip it and just obtain a new visa for 10 times thatthumbsup.gif

Still buzzing around ?

Yes, one buys visas, permits and all that in Thailand. How come a cynical person like you can't call things with their name I wonder.

Oops forgot to add you to ignore list. Doing it now.

Well, it's a good suggestion, especially for people who are living on border runs. Walen didn't make this new rule, they are just informing people there is an alternative, one that would let them learn Thai and in the long run probably save them money. It's a very long thread and no one is going to read through every post, so the occasional update seems very reasonable to me.

I think most negatives were towards rumour-spreading with no factual basis (50-55) btw...

To me it comes across as unsolicited advertising (again, fully understanding that he is paying the site admin for this privilege). Why not start a searchable thread expounding the virtues of the school, its curriculum, and its potential visa benefits? Those curious, or in need of these services would be targeted, rather than randomly cold-calling posters in quasi-relevant threads.

What's wrong with a bit of useful promotion? It's a win-win situation and I suppose you don't know he's a sponsor on here. At the end of the day, this forum is a business. If it wasn't making money it wouldn't be here offering the public a valuable source of information... and to make money it requires sponsors.,

Get off his back - he has a very good school and a lot of people who read this would be unaware of the option of an education visa. The fact that he's here right at the start of this news shows he's on the ball.,

...and what about the policy of only 2 tourist visas in your passport? We retired, under 50 pensioners go back West?

Get a new passport.....

IMO getting new passports is just too desperate. Surely there's a good chance your previous visas will be recorded on the immigration data base?

I had to get a new one for my wife once, which proved very useful, but I only did it because I accidentally put it in the washing machine, and it didn't come out all that clean.biggrin.png

A new Australian passport is easy to get - it just costs more each time you lose it, until they start asking lots of questions when it starts to look suspicious - maybe your 3rd time. They have a price list up on the wall at the consulate. I certainly wouldn't want to go through all the trouble of getting new Philippine passport though - that's a real hassle and takes at least a month.

Edited by tropo

IMO getting new passports is just too desperate. Surely there's a good chance your previous visas will be recorded on the immigration data base?

Yeap they will be, lest not forget they also have a photo of your smiling face as well, a new pp not really going to help...all they need is your name, DOB and your photo and can see very quickly who you "are"

Edited by Soutpeel

I think most negatives were towards rumour-spreading with no factual basis (50-55) btw...

To me it comes across as unsolicited advertising (again, fully understanding that he is paying the site admin for this privilege). Why not start a searchable thread expounding the virtues of the school, its curriculum, and its potential visa benefits? Those curious, or in need of these services would be targeted, rather than randomly cold-calling posters in quasi-relevant threads.

What's wrong with a bit of useful promotion? It's a win-win situation and I suppose you don't know he's a sponsor on here. At the end of the day, this forum is a business. If it wasn't making money it wouldn't be here offering the public a valuable source of information... and to make money it requires sponsors.,

Get off his back - he has a very good school and a lot of people who read this would be unaware of the option of an education visa. The fact that he's here right at the start of this news shows he's on the ball.,

Huh? My post was not in any way 'getting on his back' and as I stated in my post which you quoted, I know quite well that he is a sponsor. Weird.

I read in the Bangkok Post this week that, due to the massive decline in tourists, TOT and other agencies are going to require hundreds of millions of baht to start a new 'Visit Thailand Campaign'...

Introducing a clamp down of non-status visitors might be a good thing but the timing of it looks....well....daft!

it looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and these are the kind of problems you get when you don't have a functioning government.

• Like 1

...and what about the policy of only 2 tourist visas in your passport? We retired, under 50 pensioners go back West?

Get a new passport.....

I had to get a new one for my wife once, which proved very useful, but I only did it because I accidentally put it in the washing machine, and it didn't come out all that clean.biggrin.png

A new Australian passport is easy to get - it just costs more each time you lose it, until they start asking lots of questions when it starts to look suspicious - maybe your 3rd time. They have a price list up on the wall at the consulate. I certainly wouldn't want to go through all the trouble of getting new Philippine passport though - that's a real hassle and takes at least a month.

If you are a dual citizen it's so easy. You just do a passport swap and re-enter Thailand using a different passport. It also makes applying for visas easy - never use the same passport too many times. Consultates and embassies, at least Thai ones do NOT have a database that tells them whether visas have been applied for in other locations or using different passports. They rely on the old-fashioned flip through of your passport instead. So if you apply with another passport (as a dual national) it might appear that you haven't applied for any visas at all. In any case, there is no 2 tourist visa in passport rule. It's more likely that a specific embassy/consulate will hesitate to keep on issuing new tourist visas if you have already got 2 or 3 in a row (particularly 2 entry ones).

I would not advocate "losing" your passport deliberately though. It's too much effort required to get it replaced, costs extra, attracts more questions from embassy officials and to get your immigration status fixed up (i.e. getting a police report done, and going to immigration to replace your stamps etc.) As a dual national I never replace the passport I am traveling on in the same country, unless it's my home country. If I enter say Thailand on passport A, I replace passport B in Thailand (assuming it's come time for renewal). If passport A also requires renewing, I fly to Vietnam and enter Vietnam with passport B and replace passport A there. That way there is no messing around with immigration, which saves time, money and hassle. I did that before in 2012. However, I didn't travel anywhere specifically for the purposes of renewing my passports either - it just so happened that I was in Vietnam where I was working so I replaced one passport first there and a few months later when I flew to Thailand during my time off the time came to replace another passport so I did a switch and replaced that one in Bangkok.

Unfortunately someone with only one nationality doesn't have that advantage and will be forced to replace their passport wherever they are, should it become full or close to expiry.

Already immigration does notice people using two passports with the help of their database, now it will be even easier to spot. They will be introducing finger printing at borders.

• Like 2