Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

It was just a couple of month ago that they raised the 15 days to 30 days for G7 countries and now it's that nobody can do this at all. It's like two people are fighting for control at the immigration department with different ideas on how things should be run.

This also leads to a barrage of questions

Are we still able to even go to Laos and get a double entry tourist visa?

Another forum on Thai visa said that Thailand won't let anyone leave without a flight out of the country. How are people supposed to get any paper work (I.E. work permit visa, ED visa, marriage, retirement etc etc) if we've already been in and out of the country visa exempt before?

This is going to lead to a high level of teachers leaving not wanting to jump through circles to work here, and create a larger amount of overstayers and illegal workers.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be short lived because it will affect long stay tourism and businesses relying on them. Flip flopping policies is a way of life in Thailand

It is quite possible that they will reverse it. In the meantime it will cause a lot of hardship for those without proper visas.

So fly in and out every 30 days won't be affected?

It will be effected in August 2014.

Correct.

It seems that as of 12 August border runs by air will also no longer be allowed.

Cambodia's going to get a lot busier later this year.

I had a triple entry tourist visa issued in the UK because i was just coming over for a few months as i expected to back to the UK within that time for work, the work has not yet started, there fore i am having to 'Milk' the system until my job starts.

Now in that period of time i have bought a house and spent over 400,000 baht here in Thailand, does that sound to you like milking the system or Thailand milking me of my hard earned cash?

Enough said!

Have you heard of the the 6 P's

Please tell the complete story "you bought a house" 400,000 is not even a drop in the ocean under 10,00 pounds - with that money why didn't you simply fly out get another visa at a cost of about 100 pounds - come on be up front you were going to "milk the system" until the Thais (who are not all water buffaloes) changed/updated/enforced the rules like they should.

This will be short lived because it will affect long stay tourism and businesses relying on them. Flip flopping policies is a way of life in Thailand

Hopefully they will at least go back to 3 entries that they were doing previously at some borders. That was fairly reasonable.

This is big news that will affect a lot of people.

Kudos to Thai visa for getting the info out there.

I wouldn't fancy being a border runner right now - that said, going in and out of Thailand every 30 days means you aren't a tourist anyway and are probably milking the system.

Immigration seem to be on one at the moment!

I know many people who rely on the border runs; however, I don't believe any of them were attempting to milk the system. They were unaware what they were doing was illegal. It seems odd that there is such an industry set up to support this practice andwhich advertise their services openly if, in fact, it was against the law.

This crackdown is actually advantageous to tourists on extended stays since it is much cheaper to apply for and receive a Visa than to make the monthly border runs.

Is it illegal? I thought it was just a loophole, thats all. otherwise there will be a lotos nervous tourists out there right now.

Why should a tourist be nervous??

This is big news that will affect a lot of people.

Kudos to Thai visa for getting the info out there.

I wouldn't fancy being a border runner right now - that said, going in and out of Thailand every 30 days means you aren't a tourist anyway and are probably milking the system.

Immigration seem to be on one at the moment!

Milking the system.....hmmm... if you are not a gangster and are a perennial tourist, (of that's a contradiction, but it's a matter to say), it means you are spending money in Thailand, perhaps supporting some gf (and her family), paying for your hotel, 7/11, taxis, etc...

This is not milking the system.

I know foreigners with proper work permit who transfer 90% of their money to Swiss accounts (not directly, they tell their customers to pay the orders by sending the money to Switzerland or Singapore): they are milking the system much more than the hippies who are lounging around , 99% of which are doing no harm.

Under the current situation of Thailand, I would rather make the regulation easier instead stricter, perhaps extend the retirement visa to everybody.

A people under 50 can have enough money to retire in a cheap country like Thailand.

Mate, I'm not sure what you are saying. Anyway why should Thailand become a place where under 50's can retire cheaply? This is South East Asia old son not The European Union!!

Who cares how much money you make.Swiss accounts or not...I certainly don't.

I realise that the system you may have grown up with has dealt you a bad hand with respect to your arrogance....but believe me the rest of the world doesn't work the same way. Stay in whatever EU country you are in...Please!!!

Let the guy alone...he has some good points. Not everyone is in your shoes, nor do they ever wish to be. We all live different life styles, travel when we wish. It is a privilege to stay in Thailand. Nobody I know is abusing the system. Many use visas and border crossings, others retire and stay forever (those are the ones that envy the freedom others have). I have never been threatened with prison, or fines for doing something illegal. Immigration has several tools/methods. There are not any secret worm tunnels to crawl through. They simply just decided to close one option that was available for travelers/frequent visitors.

And who is to say we residents here? The problem perhaps is your attitude...towards others who wish to come and go frequently...using several methods.

• Like 2

Oh dear!

I'm just caught in the middle of it now.

I have a legit Non Immigrant 90 days Visa expiring this coming May 13th.

A few days ago I pre-paid for a Visa Run, to Ranong, this coming Monday May 12ve.

And actually I just need a minimum 7 days extension since circumstances made that I am leaving (for good) for another country this Saturday May 17th.

What should I do now?

a- Go to the Visa Run anyway and risk it.

b- Get my money back from the Visa Run company and drive my motorbike to immigration office in Phuket Town this Monday and beg for an extension

Anybody got real official information to suggest?

TKS

You have a valid visa so are not effected at all by this change. Do your border run for a new entry.

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif I know for a fact that there are a number of what you could call "backpackers" who often fly into Thailand without a visa.

Then they go overland or by air to Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos; and return to Thailand by land (Bus from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh and then to Bangkok overland is a popular route).

Many of them never get a Thai visa, just assuming they will get a second visa free entry to Thailand at the border crossing from Cambodia into Thailand.

Many of them are going to be surprised.

From my experience many of them are young Europeans who haven't had to use a "visa" in the EU since the EU started and really don't know why they need a "visa" anyhow.

It might get interesting.

Those are not doing in/out visa run. They go to other countries and come back weeks later. Immigration is talking about back to back

It will be hardship for a lot of people and a lot of people will have to adjust their vacation plans.

Not so sure. I've worked with people from all over the world. Most get between 2 and 4 weeks vacation per year. Most plan their vacations . Don't think this will affect many genuine tourists at all. Older people with a lot more time off work will plan their vacation accordingly - usually through a travel agent.

This is all to do with the perpetual tourist/long term illegal resident.

So...come August Thailand can kiss goodbye to all the oil and gas and mining lads who fly in and out on month on, month off rosters?

I am pretty sure the new regulations apply ONLY to those doing back to back visa runs. If one has a 1 month break in between, i do not think this new regulations apply.

The oil and gas guys do month on, month off, so there will be 1 month between the visits, which is genuine, as oppose to someone doing monthly or 2 weekly runs

Not all oil and gas guys work a month on a month off. Some do 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off, 5 weeks on, 5 weeks off and 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off.

This will definitely affect quite a few of them.

• Like 2

Imagine there are very high numbers of philipino teachers here who rely on land border runs...will this affect them too?

and laos prostitutes hostesses but since they are serving "domestic market" they will probably get a creative treatment which files under ministry of no plobrems.

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif I know for a fact that there are a number of what you could call "backpackers" who often fly into Thailand without a visa.

Then they go overland or by air to Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos; and return to Thailand by land (Bus from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh and then to Bangkok overland is a popular route).

Many of them never get a Thai visa, just assuming they will get a second visa free entry to Thailand at the border crossing from Cambodia into Thailand.

Many of them are going to be surprised.

From my experience many of them are young Europeans who haven't had to use a "visa" in the EU since the EU started and really don't know why they need a "visa" anyhow.

It might get interesting.

Those are not doing in/out visa run. They go to other countries and come back weeks later. Immigration is talking about back to back

Incorrect I believe.

Hopefully this crackdown will be like many others, short lived. A lot of people legitimately working, studying, living, or touring here, do border runs occasionally between visas. They should be able to differentiate between someone doing it a few times, and someone doing it for 5 years.

THIS restriction has nothing to do with people who have a valid visa, they are after the dicks who abuse the system. More information about the individual can be gotten if that person applies and gets a valid visa, many criminals dont go this route for obvious reasons

• Like 1

Oh dear!

A few days ago I pre-paid for a Visa Run, to Ranong, this coming Monday May 12ve.

And actually I just need a minimum 7 days extension since circumstances made that I am leaving (for good) for another country this Saturday May 17th.

What should I do now?

b- Get my money back from the Visa Run company and drive my motorbike to immigration office in Phuket Town this Monday and beg for an extension

TKS

If you have a legit non imm 90 day and you only need 7 days extension go to your local immigration office pay 1900 baht and get a legal 7 day extension, no need to beg.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

about time it was sorted out..ASEAN 15..COMES TO MIND..THINK THIS IS THE REASON

???

You really believe Thailand will be admitted in 2015?

Thailand have only scratched the surface for requirements to join as full member.

• Like 2

It was just a couple of month ago that they raised the 15 days to 30 days for G7 countries and now it's that nobody can do this at all. It's like two people are fighting for control at the immigration department with different ideas on how things should be run.

Incorrect.

You can enter and get your 15/30 days as per the norm.

You just can't do it again. The time frame for not doing it again will probably end up being a month, then a week, then a few days.

Tourist Visas are very easy to get if you're a tourist.

If you're not, get a visa for the purpose of your stay, and if there isn't one then leave and move somewhere else where you are wanted.

:)

• Like 1

Oh dear!

What should I do now?

TKS

If you have a legit non imm 90 day and you only need 7 days extension go to your local immigration office pay 1900 baht and get a legal 7 day extension, no need to beg.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

CORRECTIMO

Maybe a 30 day for 8,500 baht too, but pure speculation hahahahahahahaahahahaha

It will be hardship for a lot of people and a lot of people will have to adjust their vacation plans.

No great hardship for a tourist to fork out for an Air Asia ticket.

I believe simply this is a way to boost the airlines, especially AA.

Only speculations but I think I remember hearing on Thai news that some MP's owns a lot of shares in AA.

I must admit my memory isn't completely 100% on this.

sounds like as long as you've have a suitable visa - not difficult - then you will be fine.

i agree that people 'living' here on back to back 30 day visa exemptions should be dissuaded from doing so.

if you cant be bothered to sort about the appropriate visa for yourself then thailand doesn't want you and neither do the vast majority of foreigners living here. coffee1.gif

Not really a matter of border runs.... or not wanting tourists to stay and spend the money.

Wet season coming up....tourism will slow down anyways.

Not to mention the political fiasco

And the bombings down south.

Tightening up immigration laws is not in their best interests..

I am thinking perhaps it is a knee jerk response by somebody trying to maneuver into a political seat. Might also be a way of preventing foreign military teams in crossing in and out during political unrest. It would sort of make more sense.

Again...Border crossing is just a tool. Many tourists do it. I get my visas, but from time to time, just cross the borders...especially if I have booked a flight after my visa expired...and do not wish to get another visa to be used for only a few weeks. I live half an hour from a border.

Does nothing except take away options.

Slippery, has it occurred to you that you are part of the problem? Doesn't sound like you are a tourist - more like a long term stayer using the system. I can understand your want to stay long term.

Can you understand the Thai Government need to want you to do according to their requirements?

Actually do have a visa, my friend. As well as a son and daughter in the Philippines. I fly out several times a year, get a six month visa, and do enjoy a trip in Laos or Cambodia

So as you can see, I am quite legit. And follow the rules. I do not work....I am a traveller, by default. Have been all my life. I do not maintain a home, bank, property nor do I work.

Your statement that I am the problem just is, simply put, ...garbage.

So let me gather my thoughts.............you have never worked,,,,,,,,you have been a traveller all your life........you have no home.....you do not use a bank.....have no property....yet you have two kids in the Philippines.......

Haha I have met many people like you... we called them Grotty Yachties........sail around the world on their little yachts thinking they are Robinson Crusoe on a boat. But really they were bludgeing tossers with a sea salt tan!!!!!!

???

Thailand have only scratched the surface for requirements to join as full member.

Somebody better tell the state run television that because they are touting Thailand as the capital of ASEAN and themselves as the voice of ASEAN.

???

Somebody better tell the state run television that because they are touting Thailand as the capital of ASEAN and themselves as the voice of ASEAN.

A couple of weeks ago, the other ASEAN countries mentioned that if the protests in BKK continues for long, it could make it difficult for Thailand to enter in full 2015.

Often genuine tourists who came in on a 30 day visa free entry stamp, decide to extend their holiday and do a visa run for an additional 15/30 days stamp. I hope it remains possible for them to do this, just once or even twice. These people should not be affected by this measure which is directed against people who reside in Thailand permanently without a proper visa. But maybe only practice will show how this pans out, unless authorities clarify further.

Mai Sai is a bad spot to be stuck at. Long and not too safe drive back to Yangon to get onto a plane. Good luck. I suggest city bus to Yangon. Private cars driving the back roads is not too safe in Myanmar.

Have some cash on you! biggrin.png

Who made it a must that you drive to Yangon>>>>> Tachalek has a airport.