Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

Oh dear!

I'm just caught in the middle of it now.

I have a legit Non Immigrant 90 days Visa expiring this coming May 13th.

A few days ago I pre-paid for a Visa Run, to Ranong, this coming Monday May 12ve.

And actually I just need a minimum 7 days extension since circumstances made that I am leaving (for good) for another country this Saturday May 17th.

What should I do now?

a- Go to the Visa Run anyway and risk it.

b- Get my money back from the Visa Run company and drive my motorbike to immigration office in Phuket Town this Monday and beg for an extension

Anybody got real official information to suggest?

TKS

If you have a legit non imm 90 day and you only need 7 days extension go to your local immigration office pay 1900 baht and get a legal 7 day extension, no need to beg.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you are near Patong there is an immigration shack just north of Bangla on the Beach Rd side. its open fro 10-3 pm weekdays

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about those whose visa runs out then they do a border run (once) to extend their visa by 15/30 days before going to Laos/Cambodia/malaysia/myanmar etc to get a new visa? are those affected. many do a VOA run at least once before going for their visa at a Thai Embassy.

Often genuine tourists who came in on a 30 day visa free entry stamp, decide to extend their holiday and do a visa run for an additional 15/30 days stamp. I hope it remains possible for them to do this, just once or even twice. These people should not be affected by this measure which is directed against people who reside in Thailand permanently without a proper visa. But maybe only practice will show how this pans out, unless authorities clarify further.

This is actually going to affect those the most because they will have to cross stay overnight and then return

Often genuine tourists who came in on a 30 day visa free entry stamp, decide to extend their holiday and do a visa run for an additional 15/30 days stamp. I hope it remains possible for them to do this, just once or even twice. These people should not be affected by this measure which is directed against people who reside in Thailand permanently without a proper visa. But maybe only practice will show how this pans out, unless authorities clarify further.

This is actually going to affect those the most because they will have to cross stay overnight at minimum and then return

This is actually going to affect those the most because they will have to cross stay overnight and then return

Well..yet to see until someone did it..To me it doesn't allow either..

Edited by CP3

rolleyes.gif I know for a fact that there are a number of what you could call "backpackers" who often fly into Thailand without a visa.

Then they go overland or by air to Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos; and return to Thailand by land (Bus from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh and then to Bangkok overland is a popular route).

Many of them never get a Thai visa, just assuming they will get a second visa free entry to Thailand at the border crossing from Cambodia into Thailand.

Many of them are going to be surprised.

From my experience many of them are young Europeans who haven't had to use a "visa" in the EU since the EU started and really don't know why they need a "visa" anyhow.

It might get interesting.

Those are not doing in/out visa run. They go to other countries and come back weeks later. Immigration is talking about back to back

Incorrect I believe.

Yes the "Current" focus is on back-back same day same hour Visa runners

• Like 1

Looks like visa on arrival could soon be history.

People have to get a visa which makes more money for the bent officials.

Does anyone know how much a visa is these days?

People such as oil and gas and mining guys wont want to waste their valuable time off travelling to an embassy in another country then waiting for a visa just so they can have their month off. These blokes will be lost to other countries such as Cambodia and The PI who still have sane and workable visa policies. Their departure will be an enormous financial blow to Phuket.

Do you think that the Oil/Gas guys are so fat drunk and stupid so as not to look into getting a visa before they depart the country in which they are employed ? I don't think there are to many countries without Thai embassy or consulate services available. This will not be a problem for the oil/gas guys....... I know ........ only if they want to make it one.

We had four weeks planned in Chiang Mai then two in Vietnam and one in Cambodia, and then back to BKK for a week. Looks like this is not possible without a visa now. Might just cut out BKK altogether.

It might still be possible if you can show that you fly to your home country on your last entry to Thailand. The trnaslation states the purpose of the rule and they don't intend to prevent cases like yours.

Retirement visa age is also supposed to be increased to 55. That will make things even worse!

Do you have a reliable source for this piece of information?

I can't find anything on google that supports your comment. 555+

What if I arrive in Thailand without visa, then I plan to go to Lao via land border and stay in Lao but don't come back to Thailand ???

In Mae sot they are saying they can't even leave Thailand !!

Did I read this right? I cannot leave Thailand? Oh...good.

That is happening at border points right now.

At some border crossings with Myanmar the problem is that you can not travel far into Myanmar. There is only one alternative at some crossings, like Mai Sai and Mae Sot, and that is to return to Thailand after entering Myanmar.

At these land crossings you are not allowed to leave with a visa exempt entry as you will by default return to Thailand.

• Like 1

So...come August Thailand can kiss goodbye to all the oil and gas and mining lads who fly in and out on month on, month off rosters?

I don't think so. It will probably mean just a check to see if they just flew out the same day they returned.

It is to early to even speculate what those changes will be.

Thanks for the updates UbonJoe.

I had a triple entry tourist visa issued in the UK because i was just coming over for a few months as i expected to back to the UK within that time for work, the work has not yet started, there fore i am having to 'Milk' the system until my job starts.

Now in that period of time i have bought a house and spent over 400,000 baht here in Thailand, does that sound to you like milking the system or Thailand milking me of my hard earned cash?

Enough said!

How is Thailand milking you?

• Like 2

i wonder what brouhgt this on?

decide to hit the Farangs!

One suspects the farangs who work in Thailand illegally, live here long term and do 30 day turnarounds, in effect they are taking the p*ss out of the system, so these things will happen

Yep..it is those younger "english professors" that fall in love, and overstay... just pushing everything to the limit with immigration. Hiding out, teaching english, and..."how evil can it get"....doing border runs every month.

nothing to do with being evil......the visa wavier system is intended for tourists from certain countries, not for living and working in Thailand, one suspects the 'English professors" have had a good run, now its time to pay the piper....

if you are living/working here long term do it properly and don't take the p*ss out the system and get some sort of visa...

I've worked here in Thailand for nearly seven years and these border runs have saved my bacon several times due to the incompetence of agencies and schools trying to process work permits and teacher's license. The ones that will be most affected by this dumb rule enforcement are those who are trying to work here legit. What about those who are fired by their school for whatever reason? What recourse do these teachers have other than packing up their bags and going back to their home country? I just love the double standards that Thais employ against foreigners and I love their apologists. Fortunately, I am going back to America next week.

• Like 1

What if I arrive in Thailand without visa, then I plan to go to Lao via land border and stay in Lao but don't come back to Thailand ???

In Mae sot they are saying they can't even leave Thailand !!

Did I read this right? I cannot leave Thailand? Oh...good.

That is happening at border points right now.

At some border crossings with Myanmar the problem is that you can not travel far into Myanmar. There is only one alternative at some crossings, like Mai Sai and Mae Sot, and that is to return to Thailand after entering Myanmar.

At these land crossings you are not allowed to leave with a visa exempt entry as you will by default return to Thailand.

Assuming this. Even someone goes to Myanmar and stay overnight and come back, apparently the Thai immigration will not allow. The best option will be to go to other border points.

Oh dear!

I'm just caught in the middle of it now.

I have a legit Non Immigrant 90 days Visa expiring this coming May 13th.

A few days ago I pre-paid for a Visa Run, to Ranong, this coming Monday May 12ve.

And actually I just need a minimum 7 days extension since circumstances made that I am leaving (for good) for another country this Saturday May 17th.

What should I do now?

a- Go to the Visa Run anyway and risk it.

b- Get my money back from the Visa Run company and drive my motorbike to immigration office in Phuket Town this Monday and beg for an extension

Anybody got real official information to suggest?

TKS

You are not affectted by this.

You have two options:

- make the border run

or

- ask for a 7 day ex"extension" at immigration for 1,900 baht

Hopefully this crackdown will be like many others, short lived. A lot of people legitimately working, studying, living, or touring here, do border runs occasionally between visas. They should be able to differentiate between someone doing it a few times, and someone doing it for 5 years.

I am sorry but your post makes no sense - if one is legitimately working, studying, living or touring then you will have the correct vise and you will also ensure it is renewed at the correct time. If there is a delay with your visa and you are genuine IMMIGRATION will grant you a temporary.

Do not post claptrap like this some unsuspecting person might believe it - where do I tick the unlike button forDP25 and as a previous legitimate said "About Time".

Not my fault you have problems with reading comprehension. The important part in that comment, is do border runs occasionally between visas. Large numbers of people who normally have legitimate long term visas and work permits, sometimes do border runs for a couple months while waiting for paperwork to get a new visa. Large numbers of legitimate tourists do them as well. People change jobs, they move, they change schools, etc and the new paperwork for these things in Thailand is not always quick to get. Their work permit expires, hence their visa expires the same day, and then they wait for paperwork for their new job, and do a couple border runs while waiting. It is a huge hassle now under these new regulations since they will have to leave the country for a few days to get a tourist visa, and then leave again when their paperwork comes in. When instead they could just target people living LONG TERM (ie every month for 6 months or something), instead of tourists or those just doing it a couple times because their new job is slow giving them the correct paperwork.

DP25 no problems with comprehension but please apply the 6 P's Preparation and Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance -

I initially came to Thailand in 1982 to teach at the Royal Thai Military Technical Training School located in Soi 30 Bangkhen but freely admit I did not move here permanently until 2003/4

I commuted to Nong Khai 4 times a year even though I was on a Cat O Multi Entry Non Immg visa I only mention this to highlight I have never in all this time personally experieced the scenarios you mention - I am sure they can be avoided with an ounce of forethought.

There will be genuine cases but Immigration are not "Water Buffaloes" and will give you a fair go if you are up front - but in my opinion the scammers are in the majority and are now crying foul.

Hello, I don't really understand the milking the system comments either seems a bit of a generalisation. I am booked to fly in next week and planned on staying my 30 days then traveling by land to Cambodia staying there for a month then returning via land for my last month!

If i'm correct in my understanding of what I read this will not be possible sadly! Could somebody please advise me of what my best and reasonably priced options are. Thanks

Hello, I don't really understand the milking the system comments either seems a bit of a generalisation. I am booked to fly in next week and planned on staying my 30 days then traveling by land to Cambodia staying there for a month then returning via land for my last month!

If i'm correct in my understanding of what I read this will not be possible sadly! Could somebody please advise me of what my best and reasonably priced options are. Thanks

You shouldn't have a problem If you don't need a VISA to enter Cambodia. Probably bcaz of no proper instruction from above, the Thai immigration at Myanmar borders don't allow anyone from leaving(without Myanmar visa), since everyone need a VISA to enter Myanmar and so by default, they take everyone without Myanmar visa as border runners.

And more and more posts where people are seeking advice after 10 + years of overstay....

Admins, please "create" such a forum, as it's already a topic almost every day/hour.

I's suggest to create some different sorts of them

1. Those who'd just forgotten to renew their visas for more than 20 years.

2. Those who didn't know that they need a visa to stay here.

3. "Teachers" working for agencies, who were told that they wouldn't need such a thing.

4. Those guys who fell in love with a hooker and never found their way back, where they came from.

5. Those foreigners who like to blackmail others for not having a work permit, but are on a long long overstay

6. Those foreigners on ED visas, who all in a sudden decided to start to learn Thai after 23 years.

7.Those foreigners who bought houses, cars, buffaloes, motorbikes and other stuff for their spouse, but had no more money to do visa runs.

8. Those foreigners who "play" deaf and blind and ask for some money for their organization.

9. Those foreigners who can't read, nor understand any rules that are made.

10. Those TVF members who're politely asking how to leave the country by paying 20 K,without prison time, just to come back on a new passport.

Great list don't need a forum you have given Immigration their bucket list they will hopefully work on eliminating these problem children ASAP.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Still think there is something down the pipeline to enable a permanent residency status... for those individuals who just stay forever in Thailand. Reporting in every 90 days.........wow. What is that all about? Even places as backwater as the Philippines has a permanent residency card and report only once a year. (I have one...and as such am not residing in Thailand year round)

I thought long stay would be something you can define...such as setting up a household, buying a condo or car, opening a bank account, getting a drivers license, marrying here, etc.

For lack of that, I consider myself a frequent visitor..and yes, a tourist. I do all the tourist stuff......visit temples, stay in hotels, visit neighboring countries, eat the spicy food on the street....just like that guy on television...but without snakes and frogs.

Reading through the visa forums, it is self evident that the majority of people who wish to extend their stay on a whim...perhaps to have an extended itinerary of travel covering every single province in Thailand., should enjoy some options on staying a bit longer than the usual tourist. Perhaps 8 or 9 months. To contradict several posts....I know several people who have been on the road even longer than that I have a good pension and am doing exactly that. I wish to come and go often.....so what is suitable for me would not be suitable for a guy who got married, paid for the house and car, and stays in one spot.

Basically, the self righteous "Permanently stuck in Thailand" do nothing except look down their noses at backpackers, adventure seekers, and those with itchy feet, yearning to look at exactly how green the grass actually is on the other side of the hill. Spontaneous people do exist.

If we fail to fit in your narrow box of rules and ethics, and tend to use any legal means available to ensure we do not violate any immigration procedures, then I must also fail to understand your enthusiasm for limiting the rest of us to one border run.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

You will not have a problem because you will flying in and then leaving overland for a month and then you will be entering by land.

The way the translation reads they don't count air and land entries as being the same. Plus they will be looking for those leaving and entering the same day,