Hua Hin: Soi Bindhabaht bar owner arrested for drug dealing

Here is a rebuttal of sorts..

The only way anyone can act in such a manner is if they are being controlled by the police or a higher authority, the fact that a group of desperate and vulnerable young men are used for this purpose is simply to direct attention away from the fact that the real criminals are not on show... and you fell for it.

Hmmm...every day I walk by numerous construction sites that are filled with "desperate and vulnerable young men" from Myanmar and Laos. All of these workers made a conscience choice to pursue their dreams and livelihoods through legal means and hard work. The Africans are strong and healthy and speak English...I do not see them as victims as you describe.

The Africans specific to Lower Sukhumvit Area have chosen illegal pursuits--of their own free will.

What exactly did I fall for? I got the part you don't like cops.

Well, to be honest that's a fair response. I agree with virtually everything that you say except that I really don't know if the street drug dealers specific to Sukhumvit are there of their own free will or not. I think you would agree that they are being controlled, and if you are in that kind of business free will is not the norm.

For sure some of them are just plain criminals, I just honestly don't think that applies to all of them.

I don't dislike cops who do their jobs, clearly the cops on Sukhumvit road are not doing their jobs. Perhaps they are involved, perhaps they are scared to to anything and in that sense victims themselves.. who knows.

All I'm saying is that it's an illusion to think that it's Africans selling drugs on Sukumvit, sure it may be Africans who are employed to be at the front line, but the business is not being run by Africans, I'm convinced of that.

Hmmm...every day I walk by numerous construction sites that are filled with "desperate and vulnerable young men" from Myanmar and Laos. All of these workers made a conscience choice to pursue their dreams and livelihoods through legal means and hard work. The Africans are strong and healthy and speak English...I do not see them as victims as you describe.

The Africans specific to Lower Sukhumvit Area have chosen illegal pursuits--of their own free will.

What exactly did I fall for? I got the part you don't like cops.

In fairness, Africans are limited in respect to opportunities for legal employment in Thailand. There is a small cultural obstacle termed endemic prejudice that prevents Africans from being considered for many legal jobs. That doesn't mean it justifies drug dealing, but it goes a long way in explaining why many Africans are pushed to the edges of Thai society.

However there are also a lot of Africans in Thailand that are not peddling drugs. Go to Chanthaburi for example, and you will see lots of Africans trading gem stones. Look at most football teams in Thailand and they have two or three African players on their books.

The thing is, the Sukhumvit Scum have sadly given Africans a bad name in general. The last few times I have waked along Sukhumvit have been offered drugs from Africans, it's a joke that the BIB are not having a crackdown on that lot.

• 2 weeks later...

"The article cannot even get his name correct, despite including a photo of his passport page. What hope is there for the other details.

Remember, there is a big difference between being arrested and convicted. Give this man the respect he deserves at this stage, he's an alleged drug dealer.. that all.

It's entirely possible that he was not involved, think about this scenario: If the ladyboys were selling drugs and being controlled by the lady then even if the man was not involved he would probably be arrested and end up in the photo... I'm not suggesting this is what happened because just like everyone else commenting here, I don't know."

Yes you are right, if you look carefully at the picture, you can see the black man is leaving, he has nothing to do here.

Sorry Buddy.. If he is Black, he is a drug dealer.. What else would he do in Thailand????? Really... oh.. internet scam... Pimp... what else do black people do in Thailand.. mmmmmm kill people....