What to do if you miss your BTS stop?

Hal65

If I miss my BTS stop, and the next terminal is a higher rate, am I able to just circle around to the other train and go back? Or do I have to go to the counter, pay the higher rate for the stop I got off on, and then go back?

Go back.. to your stop.. the price is paid when you exit. Theoretically you could go to the end of the line and back to your original stop and still pay the lower fare.

I might do that actually, just to see what Mo Chit, Bearing, and Bang Wa look like :-)

Edited by Delta223
  • Like 1

You can get off at that station if you so choose, they will ask you to pay the difference.

Makes a change to the London underground, when i have bought the wrong ticket and offered to pay the difference when leaving the station, only to find out its an offence and penalty fare.

I'm glad I never do stupid stuff like missing my stop. Well, so far this morning anyway.

I've done it- no smartphone involved. Just went to the next stop, didn't go through the turnstyle, and hopped on a train going the other way. No biggie.

If I'm going a long way and really want a seat, I've occasionally taken a train "upstream" to a less crowded stop where I'm guaranteed a seat. I'm old and creaky enough to feel justified.

There is apparently a time limit for how long you can dawdle, but I'm not exactly sure how long that is.

In fact, I'm sure there are some enterprising students (and office workers) that swap tokens mid-ride to game the system by appearing to take shorter rides than they really did. The savings could add up to a hefty chunk if they do it 5 days a week for years on end.

Edited by impulse

Go back.. to your stop.. the price is paid when you exit. Theoretically you could go to the end of the line and back to your original stop and still pay the lower fare.

There is a time limit for your journey between two stops. Not exactly sure how long though.

Give it ago, try to get to Mo Chit to Bearing and then back to Saphan Kwai.

Let us know what happens (something to do on a boring Sunday afternoon or what!)

obviously, all tickets issued on the BTS network contain GPS tracking devices monitored by a team of 1000 BTS surveillance officers... if you cheat the system (even unintentionally) by taking an extra 1 stop ride without paying the extra 5 baht, the system will activate the ticket's in-built electric shock mechanism that will kill you instantly

BTS......NSA

Both are 3 letters. Confuses a lot of people...

• Like 2

obviously, all tickets issued on the BTS network contain GPS tracking devices monitored by a team of 1000 BTS surveillance officers... if you cheat the system (even unintentionally) by taking an extra 1 stop ride without paying the extra 5 baht, the system will activate the ticket's in-built electric shock mechanism that will kill you instantly

They don't kill u in public anymore, but have opened several "camps" along Sukhumvit, Pattaya and Phuket where young ladies will encourage you to drink yourself to death.

• Like 1

Granted, that was a weird question. It's worth pointing out, however, that there is a 60-minute time limit between the time you first validate your ticket and the moment you insert it in the turnstile once you reach your destination.

Yes, that's right, you can sit and enjoy the AC for up to two hours going back and forward as long as you get of at the station you paid for.

In fact, I'm sure there are some enterprising students (and office workers) that swap tokens mid-ride to game the system by appearing to take shorter rides than they really did. The savings could add up to a hefty chunk if they do it 5 days a week for years on end.

Now how would that work? Please enlighten us.

Cant believe anyone who knows anything about subways or skytrains anywhere in the world would ask such a question

I've been on transit systems where you had to exit the platform (and pay again) to hop a train in the opposite direction. In those cases, the OP would have been charged extra for going further, then had to pay again to return to the correct stop.

BKK isn't one of them.

A perfectly reasonable question. Shame they don't have compassion and empathy testing for passports, before turning their citizens loose on the rest of the world, eh, mrtoad?

you cant get away with this. you either name it or it doesnt exist. we got ppl from all over and ppl who have been to all over too who can verify it. till then its BS,

Edited by Cheeby Luva

Makes sense. To many dirty farang milking the system. They should know they're guests here no matter how much taxes they pay or how many decades they've lived here or if they read Thai and Pali better than the Saharat himself. All in jest :P Edited by BudRight

Cant believe anyone who knows anything about subways or skytrains anywhere in the world would ask such a question

I've been on transit systems where you had to exit the platform (and pay again) to hop a train in the opposite direction. In those cases, the OP would have been charged extra for going further, then had to pay again to return to the correct stop.

BKK isn't one of them.

A perfectly reasonable question. Shame they don't have compassion and empathy testing for passports, before turning their citizens loose on the rest of the world, eh, mrtoad?

you cant get away with this. you either name it or it doesnt exist. we got ppl from all over and ppl who have been to all over too who can verify it. till then its BS,

Yup. In the 26 posts before yours, we have heard from people who have tried every single transit system in the world.

Matador007 got it right. It's not tough to game the system. Though I'd have chosen starting at the terminal stations and going one stop short of the terminal stations on the other end.

And just to make it extra hard to catch us, I'd get off the train and swap tokens at Asoke on Mondays, Nana on Tuesdays, Ploen Chit on Wednesdays, etc. Then each would get back on their respective trains and continue their journeys- paying only for one stop. A couple of guys could save about 60-80 baht each, every day. In a year, that's 15,000-20,000 baht each. Not insignificant where minimum wage is 300 baht per day.

And exactly why some transit systems make you pay each time you get on and off. To prevent just this kind of scheme, in areas where tickets go in the tens of USD, not tens of baht.

I'll let you stretch your Google and Wikipedia skills and figure out which. Here's a hint- I've only ridden mass transit in the USA, Korea, Japan, China, Russia and Thailand. That eliminates 80-90% of them.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1