Russian denied entry at Phuket International Airport over 'visa' crackdown

webfact

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These are not new rules, all that's happening is that Thai immigration is now enforcing the rules and its been a long time coming

Isn't that the truth~

As usual, enforcement has always been the weak link.

So you let the dog crap in the house for 20 years, and then you all of a sudden, wake up, and kick it...

not a sharp tool technique

• Like 2

I'm trying to understand her timeline of visa-runs:

After arriving in Phuket in October, Ms Sgibneva left to get a three-month tourist visa in November. She then completed a visa run in February. Subsequently, she left the country on March 21 for a visa run, then again to visit friends in Kuala Lumpur on March 30 and April 18.

- Arrives sometime in October, (presumably by air ==> 30 day visa exempt)

- Leaves within that 30 days to get a 3-month tourist visa

- 3 month tourist visa expires sometime in February and she does (I assume) a 15-day visa-run to Ranong

- Another Ranong visa-run on March 21st (so she must have been on overstay) - gets 15 days

- Leaves (assume by air) to visit friends in KL, not on overstay

- Returns from KL on unknown date, will get 30 days visa-exempt

- Goes again (assume by air) to KL to visit friends, not on overstay

Now unless immigration know something about her that we do not know (criminal etc), it looks like she did 2 visa-runs to Ranong, (one on overstay), and left Thailand well within the validity of her subsequent visa exempts.

So why was she denied entry at the airport???

Indeed, something doesn't make much sense. Maybe there is more to the story than we are being told at this stage.

Nobody was to be denied at the airport until August according to the official documents from Immigration.

Still think its a strange treatment. Ok i know about these money rules etc but they have never been enforced unless there s suspiscion. And anyway she FLEW in from another country. That alone should make her elligble according to the new rule. I thought walk in was not to be allowed?

Great idea. So you got jet skis and tuk tuk scams. Political violence. Earthquake. Start of the rainy season. Let s harras some tourists!

I believe the shit may well hit the fan over this incident and the inevitable others which will follow.

I hope she's already notified the Russian Embassy about this as I believe she was singled out for being a Russian. If she wasn't a russian it wouldn't have happened.

Note to Mariia when you read this - please contact your Embassy to make an official complaint about this incident.

Yep. This will be the begining of all Russian and western tourists deserting Thailand causing economic collapse which will bring Thailand to it's knees.

• Like 2