Russian denied entry at Phuket International Airport over 'visa' crackdown

webfact

Its only one side of the story. The other? We will never get to know.

So assuming her LinkedIn profile is true, and she was working without a visa or a work permit, what other side of the story might there be? I might suggest that Immigration were lenient and she was lucky not to have been arrested and sent off to Immigration remand prison. They didn't even deport her back to Russia.

• Like 1

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm trying to understand her timeline of visa-runs:

After arriving in Phuket in October, Ms Sgibneva left to get a three-month tourist visa in November. She then completed a visa run in February. Subsequently, she left the country on March 21 for a visa run, then again to visit friends in Kuala Lumpur on March 30 and April 18.

- Arrives sometime in October, (presumably by air ==> 30 day visa exempt)

- Leaves within that 30 days to get a 3-month tourist visa

- 3 month tourist visa expires sometime in February and she does (I assume) a 15-day visa-run to Ranong

- Another Ranong visa-run on March 21st (so she must have been on overstay) - gets 15 days

- Leaves (assume by air) to visit friends in KL, not on overstay

- Returns from KL on unknown date, will get 30 days visa-exempt

- Goes again (assume by air) to KL to visit friends, not on overstay

Now unless immigration know something about her that we do not know (criminal etc), it looks like she did 2 visa-runs to Ranong, (one on overstay), and left Thailand well within the validity of her subsequent visa exempts.

So why was she denied entry at the airport???

Because she's a known (or strongly suspected as being) 'working girl'?

Not saying she is, but there's an awful lot of single Russian girls in Phuket who are. She was lucky she was arrested at the airport where she could get a flight quickly. If she'd been refused entry at Ranong, where on earth would she go?

How do you know the Phuket police haven't been keeping an eye on her and other girls, using the re-entry as an excuse to get rid of them bit by bit, without having to go through all the faff of arresting them and doing all the deportation paperwork?

Just as well Pattaya doesn't have an international airport ...

Yes, she was working but not as you describe. Please read the thread.

Having trawled my way through this meandering thread, yes, you are quite right, and I apologise for any slur I may have cast on this young lady.

Having said that, she was pretty daft putting herself on LinkedIn and for not having a notion of what the visa rules were ...

• Like 1

Friends I know work 6 months on 6 months off, under enforcement of the rules these people can no longer enjoy there time off work in Thailand even though they have condo's or rented houses. What are their options ?

Why can they no longer enjoy Thailand? 6on/6off is ideal for double entry visa. Or did you mean they can no longer enjoy Thailand by exploiting the border-run loop-hole?

At the moment visitors on an 1 month on/off and who is traveling back and forward to Thailand is not the target (for now).My understanding is that this crackdown is for the back to back visa runs at the land borders and the similar ones by air to the neighbouring countries ?

I don`t see how a tourist coming here every second month from abroad to enjoy the sun is exploiting "the border run loop hole" coffee1.gif ??

Meanwhile, thousands of Burmese work on constructions sites here everyday. biggrin.png

Difference is their employers or maybe the workers themselves hand over some money to immigration without making any complaints and problem solved.

This Russian woman refused to withdraw the 20,000 Baht. Whilst I would have initially also shown the presence of money in my bank account to the officers if I were in the same situation, if they wanted to see actual cash there would have been no argument - I would have bolted to the nearest ATM and displayed my cash pronto, even if it meant making a cash advance on my credit card (which is something I don't like doing but for an immigration official of course I would do it).

A recent thread here on TV about Vietnamese being asked to do the same at the Aranyprathet/Poipet border upon entering Thailand was met with a complaint to a Vietnamese newspaper and a Vietnamese memo to the Thais to "stop it" which I think was rude and none of Vietnam's business. Thailand has every right to impose financial requirements on foreign visitors if they see fit. If this lady doesn't have the funds to live in Thailand, then she shouldn't be in Thailand. Same with the Vietnamese visitors in that story - no funds or insufficient funds = no entry I'd say. I hope that the Thai officials won't be lenient and follow the Vietnamese request, which as I just said...is none of their business. If she has the funds, then let her in, but in this case it seems a case of rudeness, not having sufficient funds and a possible recent overstay as some other posters have noted definitely didn't help her cause.

"I would have bolted to the nearest ATM and displayed my cash pronto" - the Russian lady is smarter than you.

The would have kept your 20,000 baht and deported you anyway. She probably knew that. The Russians know all the scams. They are smarter than you think.

Anyway, I am sure she will be back soon. :)

I believe the shit may well hit the fan over this incident and the inevitable others which will follow.

I hope she's already notified the Russian Embassy about this as I believe she was singled out for being a Russian. If she wasn't a russian it wouldn't have happened.

Note to Mariia when you read this - please contact your Embassy to make an official complaint about this incident.

So you are saying that they refused her entry because she was Russian and not because she was in violation of numerous laws?

Note to Maria when you read this - please follow the rules.

That's the point, the rules are enforced as one sees fit, plus they are informally changed every so often.

A joke immigration occurrence in a joke country...shocking news.

Rules are rules , if you decide to ignore them, prepare to pay the price .

If they decide to enforce if it not, it's still the rules .

The only joke is expecting to get away with it all the time .

You will find , in any country , immigration, customs or police, have discretion , but the rules are the same , people get annoyed when they don't use discretion , but the rules have not changed , their discretion has just changed.

It's simple , have the correct documentation. Nothing to worry about then.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Friends I know work 6 months on 6 months off, under enforcement of the rules these people can no longer enjoy there time off work in Thailand even though they have condo's or rented houses. What are their options ?

Why can they no longer enjoy Thailand? 6on/6off is ideal for double entry visa. Or did you mean they can no longer enjoy Thailand by exploiting the border-run loop-hole?

At the moment visitors on an 1 month on/off and who is traveling back and forward to Thailand is not the target (for now).My understanding is that this crackdown is for the back to back visa runs at the land borders and the similar ones by air to the neighbouring countries ?

I don`t see how a tourist coming here every second month from abroad to enjoy the sun is exploiting "the border run loop hole" coffee1.gif ??

How did you manage to neglect the fact that we were specifically talking about 6on/6off peeps?

1on/1off is a very different matter. No one, that I am aware of, has any issue with the 30 days in/30 days out guys...

Like a few people on this forum, I work offshore (in Africa) on a 28 day rotational basis, returning to Bangkok every other month. I enter the country without any visa (Canadian citizen) and stay less than 30 days but return again a month later. Currently, I am offshore and returning again at the beginning of June and I am now concerned that the officials will take a look at my passport activity and deny me entry. Technically, I am not a visa runner but I do live in Thailand (earning my money elsewhere) and bank in Thailand.

Does anyone know if this "crackdown" will affect us offshore rats rotating in and out of the country?

Depends if your a Go Go dancer or not.................w00t.gif

• Like 1

Fair enough that you should have enough funds to live, 20,000 baht they said... but in cash, on you? That's not right.

Who carries 20k around with them?

Anyway, a wake up call indeed.

I do as well as many others.

Kurt

Its only one side of the story. The other? We will never get to know.

So assuming her LinkedIn profile is true, and she was working without a visa or a work permit, what other side of the story might there be? I might suggest that Immigration were lenient and she was lucky not to have been arrested and sent off to Immigration remand prison. They didn't even deport her back to Russia.

I was thinking along the same lines. The news report quoted in the OP, respectively what Ms Sbigneva told the reporter, does not indicate what Ms Sbigneva was doing during her apparently rather long allegedly touristic stay in Thailand and where the money to cover her cost of living came from. It is this information that the immigration officer would have been primarily interested in. The lesson we can learn from this episode is that if a foreigner claims to be a long-term tourist in Thailand she should be prepared to prove that tourism is the sole purpose of her stay in the country.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

How did you manage to neglect the fact that we were specifically talking about 6on/6off peeps?

1on/1off is a very different matter. No one, that I am aware of, has any issue with the 30 days in/30 days out guys...

Youre the one stating : " 6on/6off is ideal for double entry visa".........whatever your intecion was.

I'm sure the Phuket bar girls have raised hell over twenty-something year old farang women lapping up the remaining crumbs of eligible farangs males on the island.

Most of the chitter chatter on this channel are from people saying OMG what am I going to do now? I just spent all my money on last weekend's blowout. Getting a proper visa should be your first priority not booze, drugs or girls but you are too bloody stupid to get it. Accusing all Russians of being prostitutes or gangsters may make you feel better but it's not going to get YOU anywhere. As far as the Oil and Gas guys are concerned they are sensible enough and have enough money to get the right visas. These "crackdowns" come and go and they are aimed at YOU idiots that can't be bothered to plan ahead and keep some money for a rainy day. So email Mummy and ask for an early Xmas present because you are trapped in Thailand by the "EVIL" Thai immigration and you're going to end up in immigration jail with standing room only.

A linkedin profile proves nothing. Most people lie on their CV / résumé and the Linkedin profile is just like a public CV.

I'll bet she gets a new tourist visa in KL this week and is back in Phuket before the weekend.

If she was working illegally then she would be well advised to stay away from that diving place.

I believe the shit may well hit the fan over this incident and the inevitable others which will follow.

I hope she's already notified the Russian Embassy about this as I believe she was singled out for being a Russian. If she wasn't a russian it wouldn't have happened.

Note to Mariia when you read this - please contact your Embassy to make an official complaint about this incident.

So you are saying that they refused her entry because she was Russian and not because she was in violation of numerous laws?

Note to Maria when you read this - please follow the rules.

I wonder how many non Russians have been deported at the airports since this crackdown started...

Your timeline is off. This incident is not directly related to the current land crossing issue. This is a simple case of an individual failing to follow numerous requirements of entry:

--Not having a "return/onward ticket"

--Not having "Proof of sufficient funds"

Both of these are required by most every country in the world.

"Both of these are required by most every country in the world." Except America. We don't even require a picture ID to vote. That would be discrimination. If your legal or illegal immigrant in America do we know where you live or require you to report? Hell no! If you come to America and break our laws what do we do? We offer you citizenship, put you on the dole and give you and Obama phone. (As long as you vote democrat. 555) My beloved America is now the laughing stock of the world. Soon America will collapse from the weight of its own largess and foolishness. Personally, even though it's a pain in the ass, I support Thailands strict immigration laws. I wish they'd make an exception for me, but I understand why they are so strict. There is something to be said for Xenophobia. It keeps the race and culture relatively intact. Thai Rak Thai (And a few Farangs, like me.) That's what I say 555

A linkedin profile proves nothing. Most people lie on their CV / résumé and the Linkedin profile is just like a public CV.

I'll bet she gets a new tourist visa in KL this week and is back in Phuket before the weekend.

If she was working illegally then she would be well advised to stay away from that diving place.

Yes many people lie on their CV. But they lie to gain something. Not the opposite ;)

• Like 1

Actually, old chap, the age for retirement visa is 55, not 50. Don't give the youngsters false hope!

Incorrect.

The age was reduced to 50, a decade and a half ago (approx)

Correct, although rumours going around that it may well go back to 55.

But look who is talking about that. Then you understand why he like this rumour to spread ;)

Not having a go but.

While your learning thai and not doing visa runs all is good .

But when you've finished studying thai language .

Unless your over 50 (, retirement visa )

Your back to square one with a grasp of Thai language .

Which in all honesty can only be used in thailand.

So basically it's a break from visa runs.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You can learn Thai for 5 years... then you switch to learning German for 5 years... so you can do that for 10 years. It's 20,000 Baht for the whole year usually.

Edited by ve741

Not having a go but.

While your learning thai and not doing visa runs all is good .

But when you've finished studying thai language .

Unless your over 50 (, retirement visa )

Your back to square one with a grasp of Thai language .

Which in all honesty can only be used in thailand.

So basically it's a break from visa runs.

You can learn Thai for 5 years... then you switch to learning German for 5 years... so you can do that for 10 years. It's 20,000 Baht for the whole year usually.

Like I said it's a break from visa runs.

Not bad 20K for a year and learn the language.

And 5 years.

But I think there is and will be a major crackdown on all visas.

Now they are gearing up for asean

Let's face it its a lonely place here when you don't know a word.

If you wish to live here on a long term basis.

I taught myself thai over 20 odd years listening to the music. Watching the news etc.

Learning German .not for me thanks.

There are university courses taught in English. I know Rangsit University does. There are probably others too. I'm sure Mr. Walen will correct me if I am mistaken but it is actually called a Study Visa I believe so you can study anything. Learn to fly a helicopter or race a Moto GP bike. There are schools for basically everything.

I'm quite perplexed about this story. Oh not about the Russian woman, but the whole story. When I want to go to LOS each year I apply for a tourist 2 month visa. I must send them a photo of my return air ticket. But until last time they never asked me to furnish financial proof. Then I had to show that I had a MONTHLY INCOME of 2000 euros. That is 88000 baht. Just for a 2 month tourist visa!!! When I do my yearly visa run to Penang I don't have to show anything, but then they probably have all the info on their computer. I certainly don't run around with my air ticket nor loads of cash on me.

NedKellyLives

I went to Aus. about 4 years ago for a month. I went on an interpreting job. I got the 6 month visa in 5 mins with a little firm who looks after that. Got to Brisbane (after eternal problems with Qantas). My visa didn't have my second name on it. Had to call the boss. I didn't have an Aus passport but I did have the right accent. I was shepherding two hysterical Frenchwomen (whom I was very keen to hit over the head) and no one asked us about our financial situation. Mind you, both Immigration and Customs both said with lots of grins.......Thank God it's you and not us.

Then I had to show that I had a MONTHLY INCOME of 2000 euros. That is 88000 baht. Just for a 2 month tourist visa!!! When I do my yearly visa run to Penang I don't have to show anything, but then they probably have all the info on their computer. I certainly don't run around with my air ticket nor loads of cash on me.

this is what a friend of mine who is retired there told me a few days ago

But here is the very interesting thing I found out. Despite the fact that I had photo copies of my pension 1099 tax report from last year to prove I had that income coming in every month, and I had photo copies of my monthly USA bank statement showing the regular rent income coming from my rental property, and I had photo copies of other savings, etc., all showing an income stream of more than the minimum required 65,000b to show to the USA/American Embassy so they would notarize the income verification form necessary to get my visa extension at Thai Immigration..it turns out the people at the USA/American Embassy didn't even LOOK at the photo copies I'd made and prepared so diligently for proof. No, I just filled out a simple form saying I make "$blah-blah-blah income per month" (more that 65,000b in US Dollars), signed it and then they signed and stamped it as "notarized and verified by the US/American Embassy". In other words, I could have written any vaguely realistic damn dollar amount over that 65,000b per month minimum I'd wanted to put on that form and THEY WOULD HAVE SIGNED AND NOTARIZED IT. I didn't even show them my "proof". They didn't even ask for it. Just sign, stamp and approve.[/size]

Now, I suppose it is possible the guy at Thai Immigration might have asked me to show HIM the proof of that income...but he didn't. All he wanted to see was that I indeed did have the stamped verification form letter from the US/American Embassy saying that they'd seen the proof and were satisfied with it...although they hadn't. As I've asked around since that day a couple of weeks ago, I found out that every US retiree here tells the same story; the US/American Embassy will just verify and stamp whatever amount you put on that form and then the Thai Immigration will accept that verified form as proof that you've got the income. No need to put anything in a Thai bank account. No need to actually HAVE that minimum income stream coming in. Just thought that might be useful information for anyone fretting over having the proper monthly income stream or the Thai bank account deposits. Turns out in the real world, in the real Thailand, it doesn't much matter at all. Just go to the US/American Embassy, put whatever monthly income dollar amount you want on the form, they'll stamp and verify it and then take that notarized letter to Thai Immigration to extend your visa.