work permit denied

My statement about their actual salaries was quite accurate. How much they can extort in extra tutoring is up to them. PS: we need an NES, 30 contract hours per week, visa "assistance" provided. 15K per month. Please respond with CV, if interested. Light skinned candidates from third world countries will be considered; 9,000 per month. Must possess Masters in TESOL or equivalent.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My statement about their actual salaries was quite accurate. How much they can extort in extra tutoring is up to them. PS: we need an NES, 30 contract hours per week, visa "assistance" provided. 15K per month. Please respond with CV, if interested. Light skinned candidates from third world countries will be considered; 9,000 per month. Must possess Masters in TESOL or equivalent.

No, it wasn't.

Hi all,

have been informed by the school today that my application for a work permit has been denied, because I am not a qualified teacher, enough though it's a private primary school and I'm from England.

What grounds? No TCT provisional teaching permit or teacher license?

Normally you are required to have a degree and a TEFL certificate.

Okay. Then bloody well stick to that - just like to the requirement of a TOEIC score of 600.

Truth be told, you likely found cases of teachers who can barely engage in small talk and those with fake degrees. Some guys, if they were at the university, then I'm Catholic!

Or take the medical - how come some need x-rays and blood work, while countless others just have their hearts listened to for 10 seconds?!?

Anything goes - or not. Can't say. But one thing is clear, it's a festering mess!

This could be the school's way of telling you to go away rather than an immigration decision. Just saying.......how many visible tattoos do you have; are you clean cut; do you own a pair of dress slacks, shoes, a tie and a dress shirt?

Peculiar way of telling a person to go away ...by offering him a job even without the permit.

For the record, there are schools which never ever bother with any of the requirements. Forget the B-Visa - no assistance given, even if you pay for everything. They just don't bother with a n y of that. B-Visa, WP, TCT, ... Has anyone heard of a director getting into trouble over this? No one? Go figure!

But there was a guy who ended up in the IDC in Bangkok. But he had pissed off his director... The illegal foreigner gets fined 100 k, the employer 10 k. That tells a lot, doesn't it?

You do not need a TEFL, only a degree for the waiver. But if you are non-native speaker you need to do an English proficiency test.

How come there are folks teaching who weren't a single day at a university?

One of those had to sign his own book because he wasn't a teacher at the tender age of 20. Big deal - he was doing exactly the same job as other foreign teachers. Just saying. And yes, the TCT was involved. But at Immigration, when it came ot changing his Visa, the officer let him stew in his own juices for like 2 hours. Objected to an earring laugh.png

As long as people could get visas to stay in Thailand the TCT and Work Permit situation were subject to manipulation. The visa situation, however, is getting a lot more difficult than it was in the past.

Being British does not guarantee that your accent or grammar are in any way good enough to model the language for young learners. The fact that you have not bothered to study for certification in your chosen career demonstrates that you are not really a teacher. You are casual day labourer and only deserve the same level of reward for your work as other members of Thai society. That is to say a very low wage and little security. Entering a classroom without the necessary skills is robbing the students of their time, enthusiasm and opportunity to have a real learning experience. Go back to university, get the needed skills and then begin the long had process of learning your trade. Good Luck

Where and how do people get so brainwashed? Do you realize how many rural Thai schools have never had an NES, never will, and the kids will graduate with NO English at all?

Did your mother and father and siblings have a PHD in English education? No? Well then, it is impossible that you ever learned to speak English, innit?

In our native countries we were born into total immersion from family, friends and neighbors and we were fluent at a very early age.

Only after becoming fluent did we get a real education about grammar and spelling when we started school. AFTER.

Thailand teaches this backwards and many kids who can't speak English can read and write it, up to a point. But they don't know what they are reading and writing to the extent that they know how it sounds. They certainly never become fluent.

I would far rather see a willing, motivated but untrained NES teacher spending a lot of time with those kids than to have them NEVER be exposed to the language at all. A Thai teacher who can't speak English is "qualified" to teach it. Humbug. I say load up the schools with wholesome, willing, energetic NES's to immerse the kids in spoken English...

And then if you can find them, let the "qualified" English teachers follow up with the details of grammar, more speaking to teach grammar and all that entails.

For some reason some people want to deprive the kids of "anything" because it isn't "everything" and it's the kids who lose out.

Edited by NeverSure

I have been asked to teach at my local school and I have told them I wont start without work permit, licence etc...I have a non o visa being married to a thai but immigration told me I must have a B visa only to be able to work..can you work legally on a non o visa ???...I would love to know , some people say yes others say no...I don't have a degree but I have a TEFL certificate ....I could of started work yesterday but iam hanging fire to see if the school will sort out any thing for me.......ps there was also a lady from Camaroon who was having an interview for the 2nd job at the school and when I asked her about her visa status...she showed me her passport, her tourist visa ran out on sept 13 th last year...I told her she needs to leave the country and have 20000 bht overstay fine ready to pay....she thought I was joking....

You can get a Work Permit if you have O based on marriage.

I have found that many Labour Department offices are unaware of this.

We employ 3 teachers in exactly the same O situation as you.

Yes you can work if you have an O visa based on being married to a Thai citizen. Its more complicated than a retirement visa but has 2 distinct advantages - you are allowed to work and you only have to show income of 40,000 Baht per month

What's complicated about it? I have one and thought it was very simple.

From what I remember it's a case of more paperwork and that's what others have said as well. After I got married I went for an O visa based on marriage instead of retirement because there was a chance I'd need a WP and for obvious reasons you can't if your supposed to be retired.

There's certainly more paperwork to get my wife a visa for the UK than it was when she was my girlfriend.

I have been asked to teach at my local school and I have told them I wont start without work permit, licence etc...I have a non o visa being married to a thai but immigration told me I must have a B visa only to be able to work..can you work legally on a non o visa ???...I would love to know , some people say yes others say no...I don't have a degree but I have a TEFL certificate ....I could of started work yesterday but iam hanging fire to see if the school will sort out any thing for me.......ps there was also a lady from Camaroon who was having an interview for the 2nd job at the school and when I asked her about her visa status...she showed me her passport, her tourist visa ran out on sept 13 th last year...I told her she needs to leave the country and have 20000 bht overstay fine ready to pay....she thought I was joking....

You can get a Work Permit if you have O based on marriage.

I have found that many Labour Department offices are unaware of this.

We employ 3 teachers in exactly the same O situation as you.

The Bangkok Labour Dept. knows non imm O visa TW or extension of stay based on TW allows a WP. Maybe some places in the sticks don't know, or do, but want to mess with you.

As for OP, he should have had the school apply for a WP for a trainer or some such. If you apply with the occupation teacher, it gets tricky apparently.