BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

'Stray rocket' obliterates Yasothon house

They are very crude devices, no INS here, and the smaller ones can be seen being launched out of people's hands, usually while drunk, which 2 years ago in my village (40km Sth of Yaso) cost a teenager 3 fingers when it exploded in his hand and they still continue to do it ... amazing Thailand, amazing people.

They are very crude devices, no INS here, and the smaller ones can be seen being launched out of people's hands, usually while drunk, which 2 years ago in my village (40km Sth of Yaso) cost a teenager 3 fingers when it exploded in his hand and they still continue to do it ... amazing Thailand, amazing people.

Oh dear,how is he going to open a bottle of lao khao now ?

2006 featured the most amazing accident in Yaso. That year was at the height of thai rak thai and taksin and instead of the usual bang fai meun and larger bang fai saen there was a thai rak thai sponsored bang fai laan that was the biggest one ever launched by far. There was a very long wait with much fanfare before the rocket was finally ignited by an electric bolt on the launchpad. It hesitated for a few seconds before turning on the packed crowd and flew barely over everyone's heads. According to the lapers next day it demolished a puncture repair shop at a gas station narrowly missing the pumps. The repair guy, thankfully, was in the loo at the time.

An amazing festival , completely bonkers and very dangerous.

1998 was the real tragic year however. There had been no major accidents for many years and in my naivety i took a school party with a colleague up to the festival. We had a wonderful time that no one has ever forgotten not least for the reason that our lives were spared. I decided it was getting too late for a timely return to Bangkok so around half past one we took our minibus back home to Krung Thep. Some minutes after leaving a bang fai saen turned on the crowd and killed four people instantly just where we had been standing. I told my headmaster on our return that i would never take schoolchildren to the festival again, though some years later, in 2006 i took a party of teachers! Bang Fai festivals are held all over the north east...stand well back!