Thailand visa: Missing MH370 ‘behind visa run crackdown’. Fingerprints next?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One could suggest that they 'clamp down' on the theft of passports in Phuket, rather than tarring everyone with the same brush, but I suppose that would smack too much of hard work.

And perhaps tread on important people's toes.

BTW, I wonder if this is also already trickling into other immigration functions. Just last week, I went in for my 90 day. Usually the immigration officer glances at it, rips off the bottom part, and staples it in my passport. This time, she took it to a computer and spent four or five minutes looking something up, then went to a printout and checked through that. I had no idea why a process that usually takes about 30 seconds stretched out to almost 10 minutes. Maybe this is the reason?

Edited by zydeco

Border fingerprinting ? I dont think so somehow cheesy.gif

why not the American's do it...the equipment to do this is not expensive/electronic and info just goes into the immigration data base they are already using, you already have your photo taken coming into Swampy, so implementation of this is not so difficult

Doesn't Cambodia already do this as well?

• Like 2

BTW, I wonder if this is also already trickling into other immigration functions. Just last week, I went in for my 90 day. Usually the immigration officer glances at it, rips off the bottom part, and staples it in my passport. This time, she took it to a computer and spent four or five minutes looking something up, then went to a printout and checked through that. I had no idea why a process that usually takes about 30 seconds stretched out to almost 10 minutes. Maybe this is reason?

Because all the data they have on you is computerized these days on a central database , as is your 90 day check in, one of these days, if you haven't done your 90 day report they may catch you out at the airport and want money off you.

• Like 2

I think they started attacking the issue from the wrong side, they should be looking to implement systems procedures so that you can make sure that the person you are dealing with matches the passport (i.e. fingerprint) - the first time someone enters you try to get more information on them. Then trying to gather profile information about that individual to see if they are security issues that person (The US can access [without NSA help tongue.png] the Canadian fingerprint database, Wants & Warrants etc.). Even if this information is not immediately available - i.e. monthly .... you can add the results to the profile so that it is on hand for the next entry/exit. It can also be used to speed the processing..... you go in and scan the passport, scan your fingers and it prints a "exit" stub which queues people according to criteria (those that are overstay get routed to a different line, those that are blacklisted get held, and the rest go through by just handing in the ticket and matching passport and stamped out.

Less people manning exits, means more people available for processing entries.

Edited by cacruden

Border fingerprinting ? I dont think so somehow cheesy.gif

why not the American's do it...the equipment to do this is not expensive/electronic and info just goes into the immigration data base they are already using, you already have your photo taken coming into Swampy, so implementation of this is not so difficult

Doesn't Cambodia already do this as well?

Yes Cambodia does finger printing in the capital at the airport.

• Like 2

First step. I think this country intends to keep squeezing and squeezing and squeezing until they force out most Westerners of whatever visa status. Both sides of the political debate want Westerners out. Anyone working here is seen as someone taking a Thai's money and job. And, as this policy shows, they can change the rules on a moment's notice. Retirement visa. Non-immigrant work visa? They could decide next week to kick everybody out of the country starting the next morning. And most Thais would probably celebrate.

I don't think we need to worry about that, they need our money too much.

• Like 2

First step. I think this country intends to keep squeezing and squeezing and squeezing until they force out most Westerners of whatever visa status. Both sides of the political debate want Westerners out. Anyone working here is seen as someone taking a Thai's money and job. And, as this policy shows, they can change the rules on a moment's notice. Retirement visa. Non-immigrant work visa? They could decide next week to kick everybody out of the country starting the next morning. And most Thais would probably celebrate.

I don't think we need to worry about that, they need our money too much.

I'm not quite so sure, anymore. This country seems determined to follow a course of economic folly. Sure, these visa runners are low lying fruit and make for lots of publicity and not much initial economic impact. But, as some have noticed in the other thread on this in the visa forum per se, it will effect tourists who are using Bangkok, dare I say it, as the hub of their vacation to several countries in SE Asia. And the general anger building up in Thai society towards each other will likely eventually find a soft target at easily identifiable minorities in Thailand, especially those perceived as wealthy and those who receive salary on a Western pay scale--forgetting that these Westerners often have bills they must continue to pay back home in dollars or other currencies where the cost of living is much higher.

• Like 2

entry stamp doesn't bring any money to the state, getting a tourist visa at consulates costs around $30/piece, and much more for other visas.

on top of it - flying in/out, instead of crossing land border, bring up to 25% of the airfare in taxes.

Edited by londonthai
  • Like 2

Give me a 1 year visa and I will show.

1) I have income from abroad only and can support myself.

2) Clean criminal record in Thailand and my home country.

3) Pretty much anything else, I got nothing to hide.

Just give me a chance to stay here.

What's stopping you getting a 1 year visa now ?

• Like 1