Thailand visa: Missing MH370 ‘behind visa run crackdown’. Fingerprints next?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First step. I think this country intends to keep squeezing and squeezing and squeezing until they force out most Westerners of whatever visa status. Both sides of the political debate want Westerners out. Anyone working here is seen as someone taking a Thai's money and job. And, as this policy shows, they can change the rules on a moment's notice. Retirement visa. Non-immigrant work visa? They could decide next week to kick everybody out of the country starting the next morning. And most Thais would probably celebrate.

Thats why it is better to rent than to buy anything expensive here. We never know what comes next.

Today's Bangkok Post has a major article and editorial on the changes. It argues in favour of ending "visa runs" but laments the poor treatment of those with long stay visas, specifically the need to have re-entry approvals rather than something like the HK system. Worth a read.

Dont understand how the missing plane relates to lost passports and that relates to visa runs... Anyway just get the correct visa its easy enough.

Sent from my c64

Later immigration Boss statements said this had nothing to do with the missing flight.

It appears something the Phuket News jumped on, made into a story, then repeated in a second op-ed, without any quotes or basis in fact.

This is about people using tourist visas and visa exempt entries (specifically it would seem Koreans, russians, vietnamese) to stay in Thailand long term and potentially work. The problem is there is no strict definition of what makes a long term tourist into a resident, and no really clear visa class available for those who work outside of Thailand just bring money here.

ED visas, Investor Visas, and the Elite card scheme are all potential solutions.

i would also like to know more about this, i am also in the oil and gas business, working 28-30 days away and come back to Thailand for just under 4 weeks... I am renting a place , for which myself and my girlfriend stay in Phuket, so would like to know how this would affect me.. Surely not exceeding 28 days and leaving the country for this length of time wont make any difference??? would like some genuine info so i can start to make visa plans

ED Visa Multiple entry stamp. Come and go as you please but leave at least once every 90 days.

Very hard to get a 1 year multiple entry ED without attending a proper full time university program these days.

The 90 day language school one doesnt allow you to 'come and go as you please' as it has to be extended, on time, every 90 days.

ED visas, Investor Visas, and the Elite card scheme are all potential solutions.

Given what has happened in the past with the investment visa and Elite card, the ED visa is the only one that makes sense.

What has happened? According to very recent reports, the Elite card is still sold and honored. No negative news or report about investment visa.