Thailand visa: Missing MH370 ‘behind visa run crackdown’. Fingerprints next?

The existing rules were not imposed because without a massive increase in manpower alone they were not enforceable. Heaven knows how it will be done come August 12th when it included air travel too! Airlines such as AirAsia are not going to be happy when check in staff have to guess what the immigration officer at the other end will do regarding entry.

• Like 1

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doesn't Cambodia already do this as well?

Yes Cambodia does finger printing in the capital at the airport.

...and at land borders between Vietnam and Cambodia. I can'y comment on land borders between Thailand and Cambodia but I assume the Cambodians also have fingerprint scanners there also.

Yes Cambodia does it at all borders, land and airport (and presumably the seaport at Sihanoukville too).

Give me a 1 year visa and I will show.

1) I have income from abroad only and can support myself.

2) Clean criminal record in Thailand and my home country.

3) Pretty much anything else, I got nothing to hide.

Just give me a chance to stay here.

What's stopping you getting a 1 year visa now ?

Properly same as me below 50 sad.png no way to get a 1 year visa down here

As said previously Ed Visa....you want to stay here go learn the language, it can only help and your get a 1 year visa to boot

May be i am crazy, but how does missing plane, stolen passports relate to visa runs?

So a stolen passport is ok if they get a tourist visa?

I am pretty certain, those dealing with stolen passports do not do visa runs and pretty certain some locals are involved in the trade

Actually those foreigners involved in the trade may very well be doing visa runs as I doubt there would be a non-B visa or extension of stay issued for "trading of illegal documents". The only other possibilities would be that foreigners involved in the trade are all on overstay and thus subject to arrest and deportation if caught for that alone, working without a work permit (that's an obvious one) or the least likely one: only Thais are involved in the trade.

Cleaning up illegitimate people by not allowing them to do back-to-back visa runs should help in getting some criminals to leave Thailand as it's Thailand's status as an easy place to enter and stay that has been exploited by foreign criminals for years, if not decades so yes, MH 370 is relevant and if I can even back up what I've just stated - numerous documentaries, follow-ups etc. on Channel News Asia have cited these factors as reasons as to why the stolen passport trade has been able to flourish in Thailand, mainly in Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya. However, this crackdown is only part of the solution. Actively stopping the trade by arresting the individuals involved, Thai and foreign and imposing heavy penalties including tough prison sentences, will help even more.

• Like 1

"""If you plan to stay in Thailand for an extended period of time, then get a proper Visa"

Is it that easy to get a 60/90 day visa in a neighbouring country? I often read on the internet stories from guys who have been knocked back and had to rely on a 30 day re-entry. It seems to be a bit if a lottery as to where you go and the response you get

The problem with this new change is that, like all things in Thailand, local officials will put their own interpretation on it. There will be no consistency or certainty and the process will descend into chaos and no one will want to admit that their interpretation is incorrect.

• Like 2

Border fingerprinting ? I dont think so somehow cheesy.gif

why not the American's do it...the equipment to do this is not expensive/electronic and info just goes into the immigration data base they are already using, you already have your photo taken coming into Swampy, so implementation of this is not so difficult

Malaysia does it (take fingerprints) and did it help MH370? Get rid of the corruption and clarify the visa rules. Would be such a simple task and a great income source for the government.

First step. I think this country intends to keep squeezing and squeezing and squeezing until they force out most Westerners of whatever visa status. Both sides of the political debate want Westerners out. Anyone working here is seen as someone taking a Thai's money and job. And, as this policy shows, they can change the rules on a moment's notice. Retirement visa. Non-immigrant work visa? They could decide next week to kick everybody out of the country starting the next morning. And most Thais would probably celebrate.

Absolute nonsenses. Yes, celebrate until they realize their source of income has just left the building and they have to go back to working in the rice fields and their m-bikes, cars, homes are repossessed and over priced land is worth F-all again. I hope that day comes soon. F-Thailand...I'm out!!! After 12 years...had enough!!! Singapore, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indo, PI? Anywhere but here. Also, cant wait for the real-estate bubble to burst in the "tourist areas". Loads of greedy c-nts will lose their ass(sets). LMAO!!! Should have invested in gold??? Over and Out!!!

To me, it's not quite so dire. But you've been here longer than I have. In a few more years, I could feel exactly like this, if Thailand remains inconsistent, unreliable, and ever malleable in its attitude towards foreigners. I do think that it is precisely this unreliable attitude towards expats, tourists (and, yes, visa runners) as well as foreign manufacturers that is hurting the place so mightily.

• Like 2

First step. I think this country intends to keep squeezing and squeezing and squeezing until they force out most Westerners of whatever visa status. Both sides of the political debate want Westerners out. Anyone working here is seen as someone taking a Thai's money and job. And, as this policy shows, they can change the rules on a moment's notice. Retirement visa. Non-immigrant work visa? They could decide next week to kick everybody out of the country starting the next morning. And most Thais would probably celebrate.

Absolute nonsenses. Yes, celebrate until they realize their source of income has just left the building and they have to go back to working in the rice fields and their m-bikes, cars, homes are repossessed and over priced land is worth F-all again. I hope that day comes soon. F-Thailand...I'm out!!! After 12 years...had enough!!! Singapore, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indo, PI? Anywhere but here. Also, cant wait for the real-estate bubble to burst in the "tourist areas". Loads of greedy c-nts will lose their ass(sets). LMAO!!! Should have invested in gold??? Over and Out!!!

To me, it's not quite so dire. But you've been here longer than I have. In a few more years, I could feel exactly like this, if Thailand remains inconsistent, unreliable, and ever malleable in its attitude towards foreigners. I do think that it is precisely this unreliable attitude towards expats, tourists (and, yes, visa runners) as well as foreign manufacturers that is hurting the place so mightily.

Hold on, stolen passports = visa crackdown... I'm lost, isn't stolen passports related to crime and police. How about a crackdown on lazy police work. Getting a decent investigation on any crime in Thailand by police is like trying to find a bar girl who actually means it when she says I love you.

Visa crackdown = less passport theft... Reminds me of the solution to all the road deaths.

It will be very interesting to see how it does effect tourism or people who are staying longer term by crossing back and forth.

I think that the Thai authorities are saying the right things, they need to control people coming in and out, working illegally and abusing the system. But like so many things in Thailand they are going the wrong way about tackling the problem.

It is already a pain to get a non immigrant visa and work permit so the checks are in place i think. From what I can see the main problem is corruption,,

I was in the immigration office just before the year end getting my new visa after getting my work permit was approved for another year. it was right before new year (western new year) and while sitting there I saw literally dozens of hampers, gifts and "envelopes" being delivered directly to the officers on the immigration desks.

They were stockpiling the stuff in an office just next to the waiting room, the door was open and it was full, completely full of boxes, hampers, drink etc,,

You have to ask why. I know in the UK you speak to a faceless individual behind a glass screen who quite simply follows procedure to the nth degree. No favors, no "I will see what I can do",, just the procedures.

in my old line of work gifts of this magnitude would never be allowed as it would be seen as inappropriate.

So, my point is.. Whilst there are people who are willing to bend the rules or even potentially break the law and get you what you need by greasing their palm, all the crackdowns in the world are never going to close the loopholes and minimize the risk of criminals getting in and out.

I am willing to bet that there will still be illegal visa run companies going strong in the next couple of months,, someone will take the money,, this is Thailand after all.

I'm surprised by all these gifts given that when I tried to offer my own "gift" of money to an immigration officer it was refused. Of course I wouldn't try that again, but I'm just saying. Or maybe I should have offered a sterling silver pen instead, lol.

What's stopping you getting a 1 year visa now ?

Single and under 50.

So am I and I got a 1 year visa. It's not that difficult, but it may require you to return to your country of record to obtain it.

What type of visa did you obtain?

"So Thailand is being watched by other countries because the passports went missing in Thailand. And Immigration [in Bangkok] felt they had to do something about this. Yes, we have to do it.

By "it" does he mean enforce the law?

I don't think we need to worry about that, they need our money too much.

I'm not quite so sure, anymore. This country seems determined to follow a course of economic folly. Sure, these visa runners are low lying fruit and make for lots of publicity and not much initial economic impact. But, as some have noticed in the other thread on this in the visa forum per se, it will effect tourists who are using Bangkok, dare I say it, as the hub of their vacation to several countries in SE Asia. And the general anger building up in Thai society towards each other will likely eventually find a soft target at easily identifiable minorities in Thailand, especially those perceived as wealthy and those who receive salary on a Western pay scale--forgetting that these Westerners often have bills they must continue to pay back home in dollars or other currencies where the cost of living is much higher.

Yeah with my 25K AU a year I'm freaking rolling in it lol. Most farangs here are low paid teachers and don't work for international companies.

So am I and I got a 1 year visa. It's not that difficult, but it may require you to return to your country of record to obtain it.

What type of visa did you obtain?

non o multy in my home country smile.png but has to travel home every time

"So Thailand is being watched by other countries because the passports went missing in Thailand. And Immigration [in Bangkok] felt they had to do something about this. Yes, we have to do it.

By "it" does he mean enforce the law?

Maybe by "it" he means look the other way for 1000 baht?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Border fingerprinting ? I dont think so somehow cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

why not the American's do it...the equipment to do this is not expensive/electronic and info just goes into the immigration data base they are already using, you already have your photo taken coming into Swampy, so implementation of this is not so difficult

Doesn't Cambodia already do this as well?

Yes Cambodia does finger printing in the capital at the airport.

You also get finger printed entering Cambodia @ Poipet!!!

Good, it`s about time these measures were put into place and now that the types of security of Thailand is being scrutinised by the International communities, means these new rules are here to stay.

This will make it much more difficult for criminals and possible terrorists to use Thailand as a bolt hole and a base for them to stay uncover, plus it will cut down the amounts of those of little wealth that have to hassle here to gain incomes and the undesirables.

We can expect to see a lot less undesirable farangs that have no legitimate reasons to remain here long term in the future and Thailand will be a safer country for it.

• Like 1

“But with fingerprints we can check and identify people. All the information will be linked through a central Immigration database.”

cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

is this the same 'database' they have the 300 signed photocopies of my passport, visa and work permit?!?!

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Edited by dharmabm

Good, it`s about time these measures were put into place and now that the types of security of Thailand is being scrutinised by the International communities, means these new rules are here to stay.

This will make it much more difficult for criminals and possible terrorists to use Thailand as a bolt hole and a base for them to stay uncover, plus it will cut down the amounts of those of little wealth that have to hassle here to gain incomes and the undesirables.

We can expect to see a lot less undesirable farangs that have no legitimate reasons to remain here long term in the future and Thailand will be a safer country for it.

wow, oh really? well aren't you mister so high and mighty? and just how desirable do you find yourself, if you don't mind my asking?

• Like 2

In Yala Province – which includes the Su’ngai Golok crossing into Malaysia, Pol Col Preemadet Sarakul seemed to be taking a different tack. “Actually, Yala Immigration is checking and doing the same action [as other crossings], such as checking the blacklist.

It'll be news to the residents of Sungai Golok if their town has moved to Yala.

BJ what's your legitimate reason for being here?

• Like 1

Do you have ADHD? There are many easy, inexpensive and legal ways to get a one year visa. Just go through the posts or go to a visa consultant.

• Like 1