Thailand visa: Missing MH370 ‘behind visa run crackdown’. Fingerprints next?

Time for big overhaul...

Visa runs, it's a big joke and everybody is laughing at Thailand.

I think they should do away with this and provide a system where you went to immigration every 3 months to get your visa extended, proof of where you are living, proof of income from outside Thailand, police computer check, few question about what you do, maybe even allow for unpaid voluntary work on approved projects.

As for the 15/30 day runners, simple 90 days max in any 180, no leeway if you want more than 90 day get a visa.

• Like 1

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps they will manage to chase away a few thousand westerners, but there are people depending on these "tourists-residents". They need a place to stay, eat, be entertained, do their visa runs etc etc, so when the pinch is felt by the industries catering to these guys, there will be protests and policies reversed...again.

If Thailand is serious, they should do like singapore and many other countries, just allow a maximum of 90 days stay in total per year. That would effectively "kill" everyone working here without a work permit or residing on a tourist visa. The economic consequences would be severe many places, but if they truly want this to stop, then a 90 or 120 day limit is probably the way to go.

• Like 2

The people who create problems are not difficult to spot, just look at their face... So why the rest of innocent torists have to be punished because of monkeys that are easy to spot for anyone with a brain ???

post-52815-0-24636500-1399911279_thumb.j

When will the failed Thai Visa Administrators finally get around to the much-needed Post Of The Day feature so that we do not have to spend our valuable time combing the forums to find it?

Funny how this one little change gets people all fired up. The regulations do not say "You can not come to Thailand"

Some nationalities will get their visas on arrival, some nationalities will get the visa exempt, some nationalities will need a tourist visa......same as yesterday and the day before and last yer yada yada yada....

What you won't be able to do is get multiple visa exemptions back to back in prolonging your stay here in Thailand. So who really wants to stay in Thailand as a tourist for more than 30 days...really. If so you can hop across to Laos visit as a tourist for a few weeks, and come back. Not going to be a problem.

But it takes about ten seconds for an immigration officer to either look thru your passport or pull up your travel history to see that you are not a tourist. As such out you go.

Absolute blessing this is. It needs to stick around for about 6 months to clean house. Not sure where the degenerates and low lifes are going to end up though......most neighboring countries dont want them either.

• Like 1

well, the fingerprint thing makes sense but the visa runs don't. if criminals are using this avenue then it seems to be a good way to red flag potential suspects and quickly make a large data base of these people. many legit people have to do this from time to time between jobs. i think the visa crackdown is self defeating because they will diminish their ESL teacher pool of experienced teachers. Not to mention the money they spend sent from home and earned here alike.

• Like 1

Cambodia take fingerprints at the border.

Cambodia also has e-visa (visa for 30 days) and they make good money with it.

Thailand what is your problem?

Border fingerprinting ? I dont think so somehow cheesy.gif

why not the American's do it...the equipment to do this is not expensive/electronic and info just goes into the immigration data base they are already using, you already have your photo taken coming into Swampy, so implementation of this is not so difficult

Edited by tomhell

why not the American's do it...the equipment to do this is not expensive/electronic and info just goes into the immigration data base they are already using, you already have your photo taken coming into Swampy, so implementation of this is not so difficult

And even in Cambodia they take your prints, the Schengen area does so, with Asean coming I would appreciate they all do it. Give, the real scumbags and criminals, less and less refuge, in the end the majority will benefit.

And when it's shown that compelling potential Foreign criminals to get a visa doesn't actually result in a downturn in crime, will the Authorities then consider addressing the problem from another angle ? Stolen passports and forged documentation not being an occupation solely reserved for Foreigners !

Can't even identify crime without payments internally,,,,,,, let's not jump ahead of the game. ;)

Malaysia has the fingerprint machines as well. Malaysia immigrations is rather inconsistent in regards their use though.

I've noticed this too. A few Immigration officers want the thumb prints but the vast majority don't care.

It's nothing to do with information stored on the RFID chip on the UK passports though as I made my chip inoperable back in 2009 as the UK government lied to me about "It's only readable in a two metre radius".

I disabled the chip with a ball pen hammer and when I landed at Swampy, Immigration informed me that the RFID chip had a problem and I should replace my passport. It never happened.

You can thank your lucky stars, then, that you haven't (yet) had to take a one-way trip from Eefrow to Pentonville for tampering with your passport - assuming, of course, that you've been back to Blighty since 2009!

“But with fingerprints we can check and identify people. All the information will be linked through a central Immigration database.”

cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

is this the same 'database' they have the 300 signed photocopies of my passport, visa and work permit?!?!

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Yes, it takes the form of the stuffing material in immigration officers' seat cushions which are, of course, wirelessly inter-linkedcheesy.gifclap2.gif

First step. I think this country intends to keep squeezing and squeezing and squeezing until they force out most Westerners of whatever visa status. Both sides of the political debate want Westerners out. Anyone working here is seen as someone taking a Thai's money and job. And, as this policy shows, they can change the rules on a moment's notice. Retirement visa. Non-immigrant work visa? They could decide next week to kick everybody out of the country starting the next morning. And most Thais would probably celebrate.

It is certainly not nice that the rules have been changed without specific warning and horrible for those who have been stranded. However, I don't believe that Thailand is trying to force out all Westerners. It is more likely the usual overreaction to the global loss of face caused by the fiasco of the stolen passports used by those two passengers on MH370. I also doubt the veracity of the quote that says they are turning away all Westerners at Mae Sai not matter what visas they have. There is no reason to turn away people with proper multi-entry visas and I am sure they are not doing that.

As far as foreign workers are concerned there is no way to do as you suggest, given the labour shortage and the fact that foreigners account for approx 7% of the workforce. Compared to most farang countries Thailand still only makes a token effort to ask employers why they can't hire a Thai to do the job. There is no need to show evidence of job ads used to try to hire a Thai for the job, as is the case elsewhere. I don't see any signs that they are preparing to make non-working visas and extensions, e.g. retirement and marriage, more difficult. It seems likely that they are trying to stop people using transit and tourist visas to live in Thailand on a long term basis without legally working or being retired or married to a Thai. I would be surprised if this leads to anything else.

• Like 2

First step. I think this country intends to keep squeezing and squeezing and squeezing until they force out most Westerners of whatever visa status. Both sides of the political debate want Westerners out. Anyone working here is seen as someone taking a Thai's money and job. And, as this policy shows, they can change the rules on a moment's notice. Retirement visa. Non-immigrant work visa? They could decide next week to kick everybody out of the country starting the next morning. And most Thais would probably celebrate.

I have heard this reframe over the years so often I only laff when I hear it again. Do a bit of research and you will see that the Visa exempt entry has been clapped down on before with out a change in visa entries. Go pedal your doom and gloom else where

• Like 1

Westerners that have to do visa runs in order to stay long term in Thailand, the forever tourists, are of no benefit to the country or the ex-pats that are living here abiding by the system, and of course these people can be a threat to national security for obvious reasons, it`s only common sense that we cannot have foreigners entering and leaving the country at will without being tagged or properly vetted.

What's wrong with "expats abiding by the system"?

Good, it`s about time these measures were put into place and now that the types of security of Thailand is being scrutinised by the International communities, means these new rules are here to stay.

This will make it much more difficult for criminals and possible terrorists to use Thailand as a bolt hole and a base for them to stay uncover, plus it will cut down the amounts of those of little wealth that have to hassle here to gain incomes and the undesirables.

We can expect to see a lot less undesirable farangs that have no legitimate reasons to remain here long term in the future and Thailand will be a safer country for it.

BJ what's your legitimate reason for being here?

It makes no difference why I am here, the point is that I and many other ex-pats living in Thailand qualify to stay long term under the imposed terms and conditions of the Thai Immigration Department and this is really what it`s all about.

Our family home and land is owed legitimately, I am not working illegally, I am not running any businesses illegally and my and many other ex-pats lifestyles here in Thailand does not affect others because we are not abusing the system or trying to find loopholes to bypass the system. I for one are one of the ex-pats here who cannot be blamed for causing even more tightening up of the visa regulations.

Like it or lump it, because that`s the way it is, plus the way I live in Thailand going via the proper channels to extend my visa every year means that the law is on my side and presently still welcome here with respect and left alone, and that`s the way I like it and want to keep it that way.

Westerners that have to do visa runs in order to stay long term in Thailand, the forever tourists, are of no benefit to the country or the ex-pats that are living here abiding by the system, and of course these people can be a threat to national security for obvious reasons, it`s only common sense that we cannot have foreigners entering and leaving the country at will without being tagged or properly vetted.

BJ, I don't have any interest in why you are here, it's just interesting that you appear to have far more legitimate reasons than others to be here, so you say. I find it strange, given that you have been here such a long time, and are obviously of great importance, that you still haven't got your PR or citizenship. Your statements, as always are often blanket generalisations, which you like to use to support your sense of superiority.

I have no objection to the rule implementation, I am currently here legitimately as are a great many posters on this site and have all the correct documentation, pay tax etc, etc...however, the flip flopping of the rules and often impulsive changes are a warning to all that one day you may be here legally and the next it could be changed, without any warning.

My own feeling is that Thailand could make some changes which make it a win win for all concerned, but there are, as always too many knee jerk reactions. Let's see what happens over the coming 6 months, likely to change again before then. As for national security threats, I think that would be a very, very small percentage of foreigners coming into the country, but then I may be wrong.

• Like 1

If you plan to stay in Thailand for an extended period of time, then get a proper Visa. Too many people have been circumventing the visa laws and it's about time that new rules are brought into affect.

Will that stop the trade in stolen passports?

If you plan to stay in Thailand for an extended period of time, then get a proper Visa. Too many people have been circumventing the visa laws and it's about time that new rules are brought into affect.

• Like 1

BJ, I don't have any interest in why you are here, it's just interesting that you appear to have far more legitimate reasons than others to be here, so you say. I find it strange, given that you have been here such a long time, and are obviously of great importance, that you still haven't got your PR or citizenship. Your statements, as always are often blanket generalisations, which you like to use to support your sense of superiority.

I have no objection to the rule implementation, I am currently here legitimately as are a great many posters on this site and have all the correct documentation, pay tax etc, etc...however, the flip flopping of the rules and often impulsive changes are a warning to all that one day you may be here legally and the next it could be changed, without any warning.

My own feeling is that Thailand could make some changes which make it a win win for all concerned, but there are, as always too many knee jerk reactions. Let's see what happens over the coming 6 months, likely to change again before then. As for national security threats, I think that would be a very, very small percentage of foreigners coming into the country, but then I may be wrong.

It's always the ones with little money that pretend to have big money. Definitely an English Ponce. It's always said in the UK that the working classes have more in common with the Aristocracy than the middle class, because the middle classes always end up disappearing up their own <deleted>.

• Like 1

+1

Man I get a kick out of these do-gooders. Just mind your own business. You'll much better off.

• Like 2

Good, it`s about time these measures were put into place and now that the types of security of Thailand is being scrutinised by the International communities, means these new rules are here to stay.

This will make it much more difficult for criminals and possible terrorists to use Thailand as a bolt hole and a base for them to stay uncover, plus it will cut down the amounts of those of little wealth that have to hassle here to gain incomes and the undesirables.

We can expect to see a lot less undesirable farangs that have no legitimate reasons to remain here long term in the future and Thailand will be a safer country for it.

BJ what's your legitimate reason for being here?

It makes no difference why I am here, the point is that I and many other ex-pats living in Thailand qualify to stay long term under the imposed terms and conditions of the Thai Immigration Department and this is really what it`s all about.

Our family home and land is owed legitimately, I am not working illegally, I am not running any businesses illegally and my and many other ex-pats lifestyles here in Thailand does not affect others because we are not abusing the system or trying to find loopholes to bypass the system. I for one are one of the ex-pats here who cannot be blamed for causing even more tightening up of the visa regulations.

Like it or lump it, because that`s the way it is, plus the way I live in Thailand going via the proper channels to extend my visa every year means that the law is on my side and presently still welcome here with respect and left alone, and that`s the way I like it and want to keep it that way.

BJ, I don't have any interest in why you are here, it's just interesting that you appear to have far more legitimate reasons than others to be here

I bet he still has to report every 90 days!

Absolute nonsenses. Yes, celebrate until they realize their source of income has just left the building and they have to go back to working in the rice fields and their m-bikes, cars, homes are repossessed and over priced land is worth F-all again. I hope that day comes soon. F-Thailand...I'm out!!! After 12 years...had enough!!! Singapore, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Indo, PI? Anywhere but here. Also, cant wait for the real-estate bubble to burst in the "tourist areas". Loads of greedy c-nts will lose their ass(sets). LMAO!!! Should have invested in gold??? Over and Out!!!

When are you leaving? I don't experience so much flatulence these days, since I gave up Western food, but I'm sure I could push one out to celebrate your departure.

• Like 1

Doesn't Cambodia already do this as well?

Yes - very efficiently with very modern equipment.

But then they also offer on-line visas and encourage people to stay......... just saying! whistling.gif