Thailand visa: Crackdown banning 'walk-in visa runs' to begin August 13

(.......)

My main gripe is the lack of consistency in rules, the way there is no system of appeal, and where border guards make it up on the spot and are backed up by seniors in face saving instead of corrected to the system (see the case of the french family who came through phuket immi without a tsamp, went back to point this out, then got arrested and charged and deported) and the way in which these rules change monthly, without notice or planning.

But secondly any system must have logic, not just some patchwork adhoc system of badly designed rules. If Thailand wants high value economic contributors to bring money into the country and spend it, which is something the TAT spend billions to do I think, then they shouldn't treat those same people as criminals when they dont break any laws, dont work inside the country, etc. If Thailand genuinely doesnt want those economic advantages, then by all means, refuse them visas and send them away. But they cant have it both ways, they cant want the money but not the visitors. Its not a send us the cash and leave it at the airport proposition.

I fail to understand, why those with suitable assets (make it double retirement if they like) cant show 1.6 mil in the bank each year, and prove they are retired under 50. What possible issue does this cause Thailand ?? Why is someone 50 and a day, ok to retire, when hes maybe pinching pennies, when someone who is 40 and a multi millionaire, not good for Thailand.

Wheres the logic ??

There is an appeal possible to being denied entry and to also to being deported.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when someone who is 40 and a multi millionaire, not good for Thailand.

someone like this would have little problem remaining in Thailand, THB 10 million investment visa....easy

for a 40 year who is a multi-millionaire, springing USD +/-300k to stay on a long term visa, should present little problem then, but one suspects most 40 year old multi-millionaires, wouldn't make their permanent home in Thailand anyway

(.......)

My main gripe is the lack of consistency in rules, the way there is no system of appeal, and where border guards make it up on the spot and are backed up by seniors in face saving instead of corrected to the system (see the case of the french family who came through phuket immi without a tsamp, went back to point this out, then got arrested and charged and deported) and the way in which these rules change monthly, without notice or planning.

But secondly any system must have logic, not just some patchwork adhoc system of badly designed rules. If Thailand wants high value economic contributors to bring money into the country and spend it, which is something the TAT spend billions to do I think, then they shouldn't treat those same people as criminals when they dont break any laws, dont work inside the country, etc. If Thailand genuinely doesnt want those economic advantages, then by all means, refuse them visas and send them away. But they cant have it both ways, they cant want the money but not the visitors. Its not a send us the cash and leave it at the airport proposition.

I fail to understand, why those with suitable assets (make it double retirement if they like) cant show 1.6 mil in the bank each year, and prove they are retired under 50. What possible issue does this cause Thailand ?? Why is someone 50 and a day, ok to retire, when hes maybe pinching pennies, when someone who is 40 and a multi millionaire, not good for Thailand.

Wheres the logic ??

There is an appeal possible to being denied entry and to also to being deported.

While the appeal may be possible on paper.. I think anyone who has been here any time knows how they close ranks and deny the facts.

Hell the french family mentioned, who were totally innocent, were told to sign false statements implicating themselves and that the immigration came and arrested them, while the fact is the french family went back to the airport to innocently 'clear it all up'.

So please.. Lets stick to the real world.

when someone who is 40 and a multi millionaire, not good for Thailand.

someone like this would have little problem remaining in Thailand, THB 10 million investment visa....easy

for a 40 year who is a multi-millionaire, springing USD +/-300k to stay on a long term visa, should present little problem then, but one suspects most 40 year old multi-millionaires, wouldn't make their permanent home in Thailand anyway

To be honest.. I dont like the idea of tieing up 10 mil for such low returns.. Multi millonaire aint what it used to be !! Thats potentially 1/6th of thier assets.

I would rather just employ myself to do nothing for +- 100k a year.. Its legal, I can be paid to do nothing, and I can make a damn lot more out of 10 mil a year than 100k.. Even with the couple of percent of Thai bonds added in. Plus as a side bonus of you pay yourself enough your on the naturalization ladder longer term. Win win all round over the investor class. 3 mil was IMO about where the numbers made sense, tieing up 100k usd isnt cause for concern.

Edited by LivinLOS