Thailand visa: Crackdown banning 'walk-in visa runs' to begin August 13

". In my country when completing the paperwork, there is no need for doing anything every 3 months. When you get your permanent residency OR get married, there is no limit for stay. And you are entitled for social security."

Same in the Philippines, Resident Retirement Visa,is a LIFETIME visa, no reporting, no extensions, no exit permit. In six years I have never been to immigration office at all.

In Australia my friends Thai wife qualified for residency after two years here, she has medical coverage, never reports to anyone and can become a citizen and get an australian passport if she wants. A bit of a difference to the way her husband is treated by the Thai government !!

Yes it is true.

It is hard to get to Australia but at least you can stay under normal logical conditions not doing those stupid reporting visits. which did not solve their problems with illegal workers who actualy did not do any reporting hahahah.

Thailand become more and more hungry for our money wrong way.

why not just make more places to extend visa without hours spent waiting in the huge crowds.

Having more offices could bring them more money directly from our pockets.....

But they have to learn another decade to learn this.....for now they just will punish people who just did even one visa run in the past ....

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go home we don't need you here is my best advise.[/i]

How is that advice? Go home we don't need you here?

i think what he means is, if u get a proper visa, hey no worries, if you playing the system and tell them you are a tourist, but stay more the lets say six months, then u deserve everything u get. im married, have a home here, a business too.i need to follow the rules, so why dont tourists???? go figure.

if u have nothing to hide, the visa rules are very clear.

". In my country when completing the paperwork, there is no need for doing anything every 3 months. When you get your permanent residency OR get married, there is no limit for stay. And you are entitled for social security."

Same in the Philippines, Resident Retirement Visa,is a LIFETIME visa, no reporting, no extensions, no exit permit. In six years I have never been to immigration office at all.

In Australia my friends Thai wife qualified for residency after two years here, she has medical coverage, never reports to anyone and can become a citizen and get an australian passport if she wants. A bit of a difference to the way her husband is treated by the Thai government !!

Yes it is true.

It is hard to get to Australia but at least you can stay under normal logical conditions not doing those stupid reporting visits. which did not solve their problems with illegal workers who actualy did not do any reporting hahahah.

why not just make more places to extend visa without hours spent waiting in the huge crowds.

But they have to learn another decade to learn this.....for now they just will punish people who just did even one visa run in the past ....

i really dont see the problem, every 90 days, only 4 times per year, i go to town, do my 90 day report, 15 min, and its done.

whats so hard about that??

Quick Question Everyone- I'm coming over on a 3 entry tourist visa; am I going to have problems with this kind of visa just going over the boarder and coming back when I have the re-entries already?

I would be careful....

Better to prepare yourself with some cash in pocket bigger then $500 doll to be safe and some address where you going.

I did same last year every month on my 4/1 working contract for more then six month and now I am potentially the one who could be denied entry.

Mate get visa in consulate in your own country and pay for it ....better to be safe then sorry (anyway it will cost you less then potential trouble). You can not trust those people here anymore.

There is a big spanner in the works - Russians, Koreans and Brazilians get 90 days visa exemption straight up. They are generally the ones with the issues. Those on 30 days visas, generally don't have time to play up in between visa runs!!! So all this chat about 30 day runners is a waste, when the problem is these 90 days guys who really are playing up.

Russians get 30 days, not 90 days.

Sorry Mario,

I thought that it was 90 days, but I checked again and found it wasn't. Sorry for the confusion.

90 DAYS
1. Argentina
2. Brazil
3. Chile
4. Republic of Korea
5. Peru

Thank you.

Seems people are not very bright here. It is the immigration official that will decide if you are trying to live in Thailand off these border runs. You come in and out same hour, same day and he feels your doing this to get extra days in Thailand and not for tourist reasons he denies entry. So some of you need to wake up and visit for a few days before returning to Thailand. And stop crying the blues, it's about time they crack down on those who try to work here illegally. Glad to see this happen. Thailand does not owe you anything and it's have no affect on the economy from these cheap people who do these border runs. Also some here need to wait up to the fact that if you have a visa of any type it doesn't affect you. Can people get that through their heads. Go home we don't need you here is my best advise.

Mango Bob, why are you so angry? Did someone piss in your coffee this morning?

Cross border traffic is key to many local economies on both sides of the borders. By this announcement, you must take into account the "foreigner locals" from across the border that come into Thailand to shop, deliver goods, or visit families. And reality should hit home, let's see ALL of the border countries deny Thai's access to their countries. Let's even escalate this into building a new BERLIN wall around Thailand or a KOREAN demilitarized zone and prevent families from seeing each other at all. How far do you really want to take this.....

Now talk ASEAN, why establish these rules at all when they will clearly be outdated by the rules associated with the AEC agreements.

But then we all really know the truth about how the Thai people really think......"it's the Thai way or the highway".

Re Post #91 and UN UDHR Article 13 'Right to Freedom of Movement" only applying to citizens of Thailand residing within Thailand:

Immigrants are directly affected by this freedom due to the fact that they have entered a new nation intending to settle there. If they are not allowed into that nation, or the government in any way restricts movement within their new society, then clearly this is in violation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as well as the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

http://www.hrea.org/index.php?base_id=148

Yes , you're right .

I loved this country but because of my suspicious mind never trusted visa conditions here.

How can you trust anything and anyone in such corrupted country????

They have not idea what means human rights. 55555

Principle of those here are ; MY OWN RIGHTS and as long as I am on the ruling top.

Meanwhile, human rights tribunals such as the European Court of Justice have numerous times uphold that a state has the right to deny people entry.

makes you wonder who is in the right about mentioned article.

I believe article 13 reffer to movement inside a country, not between countries. it certianly does not give me a right to travel to, let alone settle in, the county of my choice.

I just quoted the UN UDHR Article 13 and a Comment from an international Human Rights NGO. Go talk to them.

Well, in any event, the hysteria and fear-mongering caused by this alleged "12-August-Deadline" will surely create a flurry of activity amongst all classes of bottom feeders - -

1.) I will bet business is suddenly booming for all of those "Visa Attorneys" who use the Thai immigration system to milk cash from foreigners...

2.) There has to be a certain amount of concern for lost earnings by the Visa-run and van-driver guys who normally take a full bus load of folks to the land border crossings on various 15 and 30-day cycles... That is an entire industry, and there is a lot of back-handing, and under-the-table cash that has always moved inexorably from foreigner to Thai... and many of those Thais wear uniforms... so this rule, if enforced, will become very unpopular with your average Somchai Booncoon immigration cop who may work at a land border crossing.

3.) What if many foreigner "Resident Visa Runners" simply leave Thailand? The bar ladies and other Thais who depend on a "certain class" or a "certain type" of foreigner are already starving, and their lot in life won't get any better.

4.) If the door really slams shut after 12-August, how many marginally viable, and/or downright "poor falang" will simply transition from "Resident Visa Runners" to "Resident Over-Stayers"?

5.) Are you ready for all of the scams? They are going to come out of the woodwork, and there will be bottom feeders of all stripe advertising "special connections" in exchange for cash...

6.) Lastly, just imagine some poor Filipino guy or Russian girl, who is working here illegally, and they just can barely afford the 15-day and/or 30-day border runs, but they have tried to keep their visas current. Just imagine the extortion opportunity if many of them go on permanent overstay. Imagine all of those suddenly under-employed van drivers, (and the big guy on Suk Soi 71) Those guys have the passport details of everyone who has ever used their visa run and visa application services. If you're a foreigner caught up in that mess, (..and especially if your old Non-"B" from Glasgow perhaps wasn't quite real to start with..) You've got to be nervous that all of your personal details are well-known to the visa intermediaries and to their cop friends... Surely there is a scam and/or an extortion opportunity somewhere in all of that.

I'm glad that I'm personally on the sidelines taking all of this in as "entertainment", but I genuinely feel sorry for those who will almost certainly get caught up in all of this mess.

JD

Seems people are not very bright here. It is the immigration official that will decide if you are trying to live in Thailand off these border runs. You come in and out same hour, same day and he feels your doing this to get extra days in Thailand and not for tourist reasons he denies entry. So some of you need to wake up and visit for a few days before returning to Thailand. And stop crying the blues, it's about time they crack down on those who try to work here illegally. Glad to see this happen. Thailand does not owe you anything and it's have no affect on the economy from these cheap people who do these border runs. Also some here need to wait up to the fact that if you have a visa of any type it doesn't affect you. Can people get that through their heads. Go home we don't need you here is my best advise.

Mango Bob, why are you so angry? Did someone piss in your coffee this morning?

Cross border traffic is key to many local economies on both sides of the borders. By this announcement, you must take into account the "foreigner locals" from across the border that come into Thailand to shop, deliver goods, or visit families. And reality should hit home, let's see ALL of the border countries deny Thai's access to their countries. Let's even escalate this into building a new BERLIN wall around Thailand or a KOREAN demilitarized zone and prevent families from seeing each other at all. How far do you really want to take this.....

Now talk ASEAN, why establish these rules at all when they will clearly be outdated by the rules associated with the AEC agreements.

But then we all really know the truth about how the Thai people really think......"it's the Thai way or the highwa

it has nothing to do with neighbouring countries, only with the bums who come here on a 30 day VISA FREE entry and stay for a year. thats the issue, nothing else. and im certain his coffee was nice and had no piss in it.

Couldn't agree more. I have had to pay for the appropriate Visa & WP for the last 7 years. It really gets me going when you know people that are clearly living here with out the correct paperwork.

A visa is not hard to get anyway, just get one like the rest of us!

Sorry could you point me in the direction of this easily obtainable visa. Thanks.

I live here permanently, am under 50, financially independent, not working, not married.

Currently on an ED visa and no I am also not interested in learning Thai.

As for not wanting me here, I more than pay my way and receive nothing from Thailand. Its a one way cash flow into Thailand.

• Like 1

So if I get a tourist visa at the embassy (say at Vientiane) I would be fine doing the visa runs? From the text it seems that they are only cracking on people who don't get the tourist visa before entering. Would anything change for someone who was doing the process by getting multi-entry tourist visa?

Couldn't agree more. I have had to pay for the appropriate Visa & WP for the last 7 years. It really gets me going when you know people that are clearly living here with out the correct paperwork.

Sorry could you point me in the direction of this easily obtainable visa. Thanks.

I live here permanently, am under 50, financially independent, not working, not married.

As for not wanting me here, I more than pay my way and receive nothing from Thailand. Its a one way cash flow into Thailand.

u live here permanently but u dont want to lear thai???

is that about thai or what??

if you lived in france, you would not learn french??

very strange statement.

Not that it's my cup of tea, but what the heck is the problem with some guy (who's self-funded, not a criminal, not working, not attending classes, not married, no family in Thailand, under 50, entirely solvent but not a fatcat investor...) simply wanting to live in Thailand? What kind of visa SHOULD he have? No argument that back-to-back 30d exemptions aren't really proper, but back-to-back tourist visas aren't really either. Just not to be allowed (until he turns 50); that's it? What problem does such a person pose for Thailand, Thais, or other foreigners? If you're inclined to say Thailand just doesn't want him as a resident and that's its right, fine. But then don't try and make the case that this is anything beyond simple exclusionary/protectionist policy. Thailand certainly has the right to make & enforce such policies, but don't try & persuade me that it's some big moral issue in the same class with criminal activity, welfare fraud, sex tourism, etc, AND that Thailand doesn't have much more attention-worthy problems it should be concerning itself with.

Yes it is true.

i really dont see the problem, every 90 days, only 4 times per year, i go to town, do my 90 day report, 15 min, and its done.

whats so hard about that??

And at the end of the year.. The whole hoopla..

And should your wife die, as mine did.. Where are you then ?? Or you have a divorce ?? Or any other life change..

Not that it's my cup of tea, but what the heck is the problem with some guy (who's self-funded, not a criminal, not working, not attending classes, not married, no family in Thailand, under 50, entirely solvent but not a fatcat investor...) simply wanting to live in Thailand? What kind of visa SHOULD he have? No argument that back-to-back 30d exemptions aren't really proper, but back-to-back tourist visas aren't really either. Just not to be allowed (until he turns 50); that's it? What problem does such a person pose for Thailand, Thais, or other foreigners? If you're inclined to say Thailand just doesn't want him as a resident and that's its right, fine. But then don't try and make the case that this is anything beyond simple exclusionary/protectionist policy. Thailand certainly has the right to make & enforce such policies, but don't try & persuade me that it's some big moral issue in the same class with criminal activity, welfare fraud, sex tourism, etc, AND that Thailand doesn't have much more attention-worthy problems it should be concerning itself with.

totally agree with ur post. but thai law is what it is.

im not saying its morraly right, its just the law.

and yes, as u have presumed, they dont want us here, another reason to tick all the boxes.sad but sooo true.

I'm sorry as a guy from a third world country, who goes to western countries never to return back without any paper or money and then leech of off on social welfare.

We are hypocrites....My country India is the worse, millions of Indians are living illegally in the west and no problemo and many have made a good life going to west even illegally...but when a western guy tries to do the same playing by rules even ...he is burdened with all sorts of visa rules

Thailand, Philippines, China, SEAsian countries love to leech of off on the west but don't extend the same privilege .....In my experience, sometimes we just gel with the place, our DNA just syncs with the place we were not born in....but unfortunately, western guys are not afforded the luxury..

Some guys from west....Just love Thailand...Rich or poor, they would just sync in with Asian countries, They feel their DNA coming to life again...many folks in Asian countries feel the same when they go to the west....Visa's have been a bane to humanity for 100s of years now.....Humanity must be allowed to travel and settle in where ever the F*k we want...

These government politics and bureaucracy is killing human soul slowly....People are really frustrated and on the edge living in their own shitty countries...They want to move out, explore and be free....Allow them please

This is ridiculous, new age, poppycock. Don't assert the suicide of the west as a righteous standard and that should be projected as some universal model because you "feel" your DNA's somehow connected to a place. You have no idea about your DNA- it's pure want. Grow up. The West's absurd, unbridled, lawless immigration destroys nations! At least Thailand is wise enough to not be agreeably led to the slaughter at the alter of new age "we are one" nonsense. Thailand is smart to preserve their national identify, as best they envision it, or implement it.

You sir, are not a hypocrite- people who do as you propose are criminals. Illegal is illegal, irrespective that you "feel;" utter rubbish! Find Mango Bob's Post; get a visa or go home. (I'm so sick of people asserting their "feeling" something constitutes an objective requirement that others participate in their drama and delusion. Follow the law. Your feeling stops at the place between us where the law exists).

petitio principii, I'm afraid.

Which makes your delusion far more worrying than any you might try to ascribe to him.

Whew, fortunately your signature repudiates best what you ascribe to me: "You are never "entitled" to your opinion. Your beliefs are not beliefs about you; they are beliefs about our world. Your beliefs should be your best available estimate of the actual way things are - anything else is simply a lie."

The above quote only contrasts yet another poster, like me, who has "beliefs about our world." They are in fact my "best available estimate of the actual way things are." However, I'd never ascribe to others the presumption they "lie." Insofar as I've acted in accordance with your own declaration to the world- your signature block- it is far more curious that my "beliefs" are delusions or "worrying."

In any event, with no requirement that "huddled masses" actually need to even basically assimilate in the west, it doesn't take great statistics to project a Balkanization of Varying countries nor the dissolution of host cultures. We may disagree this is a good or bad thing, but I don't think we should entitle ourselves to facts that don't exist. Protective immigration policies are a first duty of an assembled government, along with defense, etc. Had I the chance to write my earlier post over I would have chosen softer words. I generally don't intend to hurt another and if I did to starchild, I wish I hadn't. Yet these are my "beliefs about our world."

NOTE: My premise supports my conclusion a priori. There's no circular reasoning present. Check your fallacies of logic.

Edited by arjunadawn

You might want to consider rephrasing the "permanently" part. You are also here illegally by not complying with your ED visa by stating you have no interest in learning Thai. I'm sure you would have stated something different when you applied for the ED visa. Misleading statements on Government documents can be taken quite seriously.

In answer to JudgeDredd; Yes, your friend will be stuffed after 12 Aug if they enforce this. I think you need to be clear on the distinction between visa exemption or "walk-in" visa as they call it above, and visa status. All your friend needs to do is get a Tourist Visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate. This is what the Thai ruling is trying to encourage - the getting of a visa if you want to keep coming back.These are valid for 30 or 60 days (with 2 entries on the 60 day visa). So your friend can still visit but needs a proper visa rather than the visa exemption status. If your friend is as rich as you say he is, I'm sure an extra night in Singapore or Hong Kong will not do him any harm while he waits for a Tourist Visa.

well i don't think so. the guy has money so he will pay someone and the plobrem will become no plobrem (ed visa, extension based on sickness, even non-immigrant o's multiple entries can be obtained if not married - i got one some years ago!). that's the farce about thailand. they enforce on one level but the rest remains same-same. corruption abounds so there will be plenty of alternatives, exceptions, back doors, etc. conclusion: wake me up when thai law enforcement can be taken seriously ... in the year 2087 (AD).

Whichever way any of you want to cut it, or accuse Thailand of unprofessionalism or whatever, surely, if you want to reside in a Country anywhere in the World, you should be prepared to take the trouble to get a proper bona fide Visa which entitles you to live there.

You should not be entitled to live in a Country which is not your Country, as against visit it for a holiday, without getting the necessary paperwork and authority.

If this legislation gets rid of the cheapskates who get our respective home Countries a bad name here, then good !!! Well done Thailand!

On one level, I agree with you but, on the other hand, there are some people who do not "fit" the regs.

I, for example, am just over 50, but have no pension. I do, however, have residual income from a UK company that I own. That doesn't fit the regs. I maintain two visas, one for the WP and one in case there are snags with the WP. Technically I can't get an O visa on that basis due to the new regs at the UK conslates/embassy. I am German, but was born and raised in the UK (long story) and I don't know if the consulates in Germany have different instructions. IOW, let's just be careful before we slag off people doing the B2B tourist visa runs. Sure, some may well be the "ne'er do wells" as some may characterise them, but there are more than a few who just don't match the One Size Fits All regs.

Is it even possible to hold two visas at the same time? I thought that when one was issued the other was automatically invalid. Could be wrong though.

totally agree with ur post. but thai law is what it is.

im not saying its morraly right, its just the law.

and yes, as u have presumed, they dont want us here, another reason to tick all the boxes.sad but sooo true.

I used to own rental properties. It was the financially solvent, responsible, law-abiding, play-by-the-rules tenants I LOOKED for!! I'd have certainly made no money turning qualified applicants away for arbitrary reasons and leaving my units vacant.

You might want to consider rephrasing the "permanently" part. You are also here illegally by not complying with your ED visa by stating you have no interest in learning Thai. I'm sure you would have stated something different when you applied for the ED visa. Misleading statements on Government documents can be taken quite seriously.

This is exactly the issue, there is no legal alternative.

There is really no good reason for there not to be.

Edited by kevkev1888

Ouch!!

Well, in any event, the hysteria and fear-mongering caused by this alleged "12-August-Deadline" will surely create a flurry of activity amongst all classes of bottom feeders - -

1.) I will bet business is suddenly booming for all of those "Visa Attorneys" who use the Thai immigration system to milk cash from foreigners...

2.) There has to be a certain amount of concern for lost earnings by the Visa-run and van-driver guys who normally take a full bus load of folks to the land border crossings on various 15 and 30-day cycles... That is an entire industry, and there is a lot of back-handing, and under-the-table cash that has always moved inexorably from foreigner to Thai... and many of those Thais wear uniforms... so this rule, if enforced, will become very unpopular with your average Somchai Booncoon immigration cop who may work at a land border crossing.

3.) What if many foreigner "Resident Visa Runners" simply leave Thailand? The bar ladies and other Thais who depend on a "certain class" or a "certain type" of foreigner are already starving, and their lot in life won't get any better.

4.) If the door really slams shut after 12-August, how many marginally viable, and/or downright "poor falang" will simply transition from "Resident Visa Runners" to "Resident Over-Stayers"?

5.) Are you ready for all of the scams? They are going to come out of the woodwork, and there will be bottom feeders of all stripe advertising "special connections" in exchange for cash...

6.) Lastly, just imagine some poor Filipino guy or Russian girl, who is working here illegally, and they just can barely afford the 15-day and/or 30-day border runs, but they have tried to keep their visas current. Just imagine the extortion opportunity if many of them go on permanent overstay. Imagine all of those suddenly under-employed van drivers, (and the big guy on Suk Soi 71) Those guys have the passport details of everyone who has ever used their visa run and visa application services. If you're a foreigner caught up in that mess, (..and especially if your old Non-"B" from Glasgow perhaps wasn't quite real to start with..) You've got to be nervous that all of your personal details are well-known to the visa intermediaries and to their cop friends... Surely there is a scam and/or an extortion opportunity somewhere in all of that.

I'm glad that I'm personally on the sidelines taking all of this in as "entertainment", but I genuinely feel sorry for those who will almost certainly get caught up in all of this mess.

JD

Finally someone is talking........

I am very sorry not for those who afford to be here but for those who will suffer more then before and was living in this country having a little hope that they can stretch the time to have just a little longer more hope for some possibilities survive and helping own families in poorer countries.

I would actually add on more point in your blog.....

Do you imagine how many fellas I know who are under retirement requirements and having already "one leg" here in Thailand having girlfriends fiance and even new born kids from this mix relationship???? That's only I know....

What happened to those relationships when things start to get worsen with entry here. I know....because one of them just is packing and coming here from Australia to sell his car and condominium in case and in time he can sell all of this not loosing to much.....He has girlfriend too for last 2 years ....do you think he cares same much about her now?????

Question is ...how many orphans and crying woman will be here when we decided to find another country to live???

No problem -- for the Person described above you should go for the 2.5 Reason for Extension 10 million baht investment. That's the kind of under age 50 well-heeled person no marriage, no job, etc. they want. Note that in 777/2551 Police Order the amount was raised from 3 million prior to 2006 to 10 million baht so if anything they're going in the opposite direction from what you think should be the norm.

tourist numbers are down

and now this

another nail in the coffin

one can hope that tourism increases in neighbouring countries and deceide not to visit thailand anymore

if it is to keep out people working illegally, who says that this category does not prefer to not obay any laws and just overstay and pay the 20k baht to avoid any other fuzz

Not that it's my cup of tea, but whathe the heck is the problem with some guy (who's self-funded, not a criminal, not working, not attending classes, not married, no family in Thailand, under 50, entirely solvent but not a fatcat investor...) simply wanting to live in Thailand? What kind of visa SHOULD he have? No argument that back-to-back 30d exemptions aren't really proper, but back-to-back tourist visas aren't really either. Just not to be allowed (until he turns 50); that's it? What problem does such a person pose for Thailand, Thais, or other foreigners? If you're inclined to say Thailand just doesn't want him as a resident and that's its right, fine. But then don't try and make the case that this is anything beyond simple exclusionary/protectionist policy. Thailand certainly has the right to make & enforce such policies, but don't try & persuade me that it's some big moral issue in the same class with criminal activity, welfare fraud, sex tourism, etc, AND that Thailand doesn't have much more attention-worthy problems it should be concerning itself with.

No problem -- for the Person described above you should go for the 2.5 Reason for Extension 10 million baht investment. That's the kind of under age 50 well-heeled person no marriage, no job, etc. they want. Note that in 777/2551 Police Order the amount was raised from 3 million prior to 2006 to 10 million baht so if anything they're going in the opposite direction from what you think should be the norm.

A person can be quite self-sufficient and no burden on the economy whatsoever without having to invest $300,000+US that he'll have a heckuva time ever getting back out of Thailand again.. Again, Thailand well within its rights to impose such an arbitrary requirement, just don't start going on about it's being any sort of moral issue. I can easily see such an investment being ruled just from a due diligence perspective.

Edited by hawker9000