Thailand visa: Crackdown banning 'walk-in visa runs' to begin August 13

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really understand why people like the 38 year old friend of yours think they have or should have a right to stay just because they have a bit

of cash in the bank.

If he wanted to work, open a business and employ people, pay taxes and genuinely contribute in a meaningful way there would be legitimate routes to stay, and even PR and citizenship if he wanted it.

Too many people here seem to have the attitude - I have cash, am white, and therefore entitled.

Maybe it would help if one with some money could come to Thailand for investing and paying taxes while retaining the investment in their true name and having rights, not just vexation. As it happens in the civil countries of the world.

It is you and the other that liked your trite false and sad post that comes with an attitude, namely the one of old, retired pompous Thai apologists that are happy to be exploited.

Edited by paz

Not that it's my cup of tea, but what the heck is the problem with some guy (who's self-funded, not a criminal, not working, not attending classes, not married, no family in Thailand, under 50, entirely solvent but not a fatcat investor...) simply wanting to live in Thailand? What kind of visa SHOULD he have? No argument that back-to-back 30d exemptions aren't really proper, but back-to-back tourist visas aren't really either. Just not to be allowed (until he turns 50); that's it? What problem does such a person pose for Thailand, Thais, or other foreigners? If you're inclined to say Thailand just doesn't want him as a resident and that's its right, fine. But then don't try and make the case that this is anything beyond simple exclusionary/protectionist policy. Thailand certainly has the right to make & enforce such policies, but don't try & persuade me that it's some big moral issue in the same class with criminal activity, welfare fraud, sex tourism, etc, AND that Thailand doesn't have much more attention-worthy problems it should be concerning itself with.

Evidence showing that you are covering your cost of living in Thailand with money brought in from abroad may satisfy the consul that you are not working illegally in Thailand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not that it's my cup of tea, but what the heck is the problem with some guy (who's self-funded, not a criminal, not working, not attending classes, not married, no family in Thailand, under 50, entirely solvent but not a fatcat investor...) simply wanting to live in Thailand? What kind of visa SHOULD he have? No argument that back-to-back 30d exemptions aren't really proper, but back-to-back tourist visas aren't really either. Just not to be allowed (until he turns 50); that's it? What problem does such a person pose for Thailand, Thais, or other foreigners? If you're inclined to say Thailand just doesn't want him as a resident and that's its right, fine. But then don't try and make the case that this is anything beyond simple exclusionary/protectionist policy. Thailand certainly has the right to make & enforce such policies, but don't try & persuade me that it's some big moral issue in the same class with criminal activity, welfare fraud, sex tourism, etc, AND that Thailand doesn't have much more attention-worthy problems it should be concerning itself with.

First they are starting with the 30 day visa exempt entries.

There's no guarantee that a couple of months later they won't move on to the people who are 'abusing' the tourist visas and apply some arbitary limit.

India does something like this to actively prevent people from living there all year.

And presumably your income is paid outside Thailand and no taxes are paid in Thailand ? Doesn't sound like you are contributing much more than the oxygen thieves.

He does pay tax, and more:

1. VAT on goods and services he buys in Thailand. In some parts of Thailand there is also a local municipal sales tax, I believe.

2. Excise tax on some items, eg alcoholic beverages.

3. On imported items, the customs duty included by the importer in the sales price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

"“However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least six months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 10,000 baht per person "

So a tourist only needs 10.000 bht a month , while somebody retired needs 65.000 bht pr month . blink.pngblink.png

Well what a hot topic, emotions and feelings all being thrown around

This should really be a non topic, all Thailanf is trying to do, quite corectly is stop people exploiting the system

There are many varieties of visas available, and like the UK, USA and Australia Thailand is saying get your paper work in order or go home, absolutely correct

I have lived here for nearly seven years always with proper legal visas and had no problems

Thailand is very considerate to those who play by the rules, and taxation of personal income for foreignors is probably the lowest in the world

If you do not like it move on, Thailand will survive without you,

• Like 1

"“However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least six months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 10,000 baht per person "

So a tourist only needs 10.000 bht a month , while somebody retired needs 65.000 bht pr month . blink.pngblink.png

where does it say THB 10k/m ? it says per person, besides the 65k/m is for extension of stay, your not comparing apples with apples...

and taxation of personal income for foreignors is probably the lowest in the world

not by a long shot....above a certain threshold Thai Tax is very high

The top rate is only 35% isn't it? Not that high (although certainly not the lowest in the world by a long stretch).

Edited by inthepink

I don't see what the big deal is. Now you just have to go to an embassy/consulate outside of Thailand and apply for a tourist Visa, which will either get you a 3 month or 6 month stay depending on whether you get a double. I'm not sure why people who live here were willing to trek to a border every 15/30 days for a re-entry. What a waste of time. If your worried about not being granted another Visa after multiple attempts, then fly to a country that's not neighbouring Thailand and apply there.

Edited by Future3000

and taxation of personal income for foreignors is probably the lowest in the world

not by a long shot....above a certain threshold Thai Tax is very high

The top rate is only 35% isn't it? Not that high (although certainly not the lowest in the world by a long stretch).

Maybe not high in comparison with some of the western countries, but regionally, its high in comparison with the like of HK or Singapore for PIT

The rich 38 year old american will have to find somewhere else to live for 90 days every 180 days. Spain or italy is most likely a nice place to stay.from march to june.

México. One can stay there for 180 days, no issues.

Cambodia. One can stay there forever, 1 year at a time for less than US$300 a year and no documents required. Or perhaps if you are willing to give the government a large "donation" then citizenship can be granted quite easily too. Also, being next to Thailand is quite convenient too...

You should not be entitled to live in a Country which is not your Country, as against visit it for a holiday, without getting the necessary paperwork and authority.

Respect my Authority! Former East Germany was the place to be for your kinds of f***s.

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 2

Seems people are not very bright here. It is the immigration official that will decide if you are trying to live in Thailand off these border runs. You come in and out same hour, same day and he feels your doing this to get extra days in Thailand and not for tourist reasons he denies entry. So some of you need to wake up and visit for a few days before returning to Thailand. And stop crying the blues, it's about time they crack down on those who try to work here illegally. Glad to see this happen. Thailand does not owe you anything and it's have no affect on the economy from these cheap people who do these border runs. Also some here need to wait up to the fact that if you have a visa of any type it doesn't affect you. Can people get that through their heads. Go home we don't need you here is my best advise.

That was most probably the most hateful post I have read in a long time.

"Go Home"... are you serious.

Some people need to stick their "Godly" heads back up their...............

Posters like this are not even worth engaging. best ignored.

• Like 2

I don't see what the big deal is. Now you just have to go to an embassy/consulate outside of Thailand and apply for a tourist Visa, which will either get you a 3 month or 6 month stay depending on whether you get a double. I'm not sure why people who live here were willing to trek to a border every 15/30 days for a re-entry. What a waste of time. If your worried about not being granted another Visa after multiple attempts, then fly to a country that's not neighbouring Thailand and apply there.

Fabulous posting.

"if you're worried".. then "fly around", "a little further".

All that doesn't "wast time", and probably is free to your eyes ?>

Sponsoring the airline industry for the privilege of back-to-back visa, sure you're thinking ahead.

biggrin.png

That actually makes sense, in a Thai way. You can't understand, because you're not Thai. But you can find an apologist here any time of the day.

Seems people are not very bright here. It is the immigration official that will decide if you are trying to live in Thailand off these border runs. You come in and out same hour, same day and he feels your doing this to get extra days in Thailand and not for tourist reasons he denies entry. So some of you need to wake up and visit for a few days before returning to Thailand. And stop crying the blues, it's about time they crack down on those who try to work here illegally. Glad to see this happen. Thailand does not owe you anything and it's have no affect on the economy from these cheap people who do these border runs. Also some here need to wait up to the fact that if you have a visa of any type it doesn't affect you. Can people get that through their heads. Go home we don't need you here is my best advise.

Hey Mango Bof- Just because you are most likely a criminal who worked illegally until you fortuitously found a legal venue do not go assuming that everyone is. I have never worked a day in Thailand in fifteen years. It has been contracts outside the country. People such as yourself whose primary gratification is capriciously slandering others are the ones who should hit the road. Nothing but a bunch of useless, rightous poseurs who could not care less about ethics.

I have never worked a day in Thailand in fifteen years. - ???????

In answer to JudgeDredd; Yes, your friend will be stuffed after 12 Aug if they enforce this. I think you need to be clear on the distinction between visa exemption or "walk-in" visa as they call it above, and visa status. All your friend needs to do is get a Tourist Visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate. This is what the Thai ruling is trying to encourage - the getting of a visa if you want to keep coming back.These are valid for 30 or 60 days (with 2 entries on the 60 day visa). So your friend can still visit but needs a proper visa rather than the visa exemption status. If your friend is as rich as you say he is, I'm sure an extra night in Singapore or Hong Kong will not do him any harm while he waits for a Tourist Visa.

Absolutely right! And while applying for the visa, they'll have an opportunity to ask the right questions about how he is supporting himself and where his money comes from. Should be easy to answer if he's not working illegally.

Thailand doesn't have the resources to run around raiding scuba diving schools and checking working status of foreigners. That's why their system is a pretty simple case of making you check in regularly with immigration or cross the border regularly so your status can be checked. Even PRs have to check in annually.

I think it's all pretty sensible and any country in the world will do its best to ensure that people who work there have the proper status and pay their taxes. No big scandle here, just a lower cost enforcement approach for a country that has a lot of land borders and a lot of foreigners working under the radar.

Consecutive tourist visas isn't even possible in most western countries, so thailand is actually pretty light on about these things.

And from a beurocractic point of view, what's the difference on paper between the profile you are suggesting and the profile of a foreigner who is working illegally if all your doing is crossing a border and getting a stamp?

Tourist visas are not that hard to get, they're just tracked better and gives them an opportunity to ask the right questions.

It is protectionist... protecting jobs for thais and making sure people are in the system and paying taxes.. and so it bloody well should be. EVERY other country that finds itself a desirable place to live does the same and EVERY western country has a much higher burden of proof!

and as for "Thailand doesn't have much more attention-worthy problems it should be concerning itself with" ... umm, not if you're the department of immigration, no.

Wowww....in the same post you manage to insult the people who disagree with you ( I am not saying I do and I am not saying I don't either): well telling them that they are not very bright is an insult somehow, condemn the one making the visa runs as they all are seeking to work illegally ( have you thought about the persons who can't be bothered going back home because the only ties they have are with this country and, somehow cannot find a way to get a proper visa to stay even though they have the money to go by but not enough to live here and making expensive trips to their home countries) treating them as international unwanted roamers. Not to forget the youngsters, which you obviously are not, who take a break from their studies or for other reasons, and want to use their time travelling on a budget...the list is long and, of course, doesn't mean that none of these "runners" are not legit ( could even be the majority of them)

Last you are making yourself the voice of Thailand: I am sure one gains to know you but, actually, this not the brighter sight of yourself you are showing.

I guess some of us should show more understanding towards those persons before passing judgment without knowing their cases. Mind you, it is so easy to shoot in the dark, sitting on one's porch staring at the stars

Edited by alyx

Yes I must say I was surprised to read about this. I am affected by this, I am 39 yrs old, working all around the world, living in Thailand on visa-on-arrival for 11 yrs. I am a fly-in, fly-out global employee, and there are many of me here in Phuket. I am not married. So realistically I am not entitled to any form of non-immigrant visa, although I was able to obtain a non-O in the past when Thai Consulates were looser.

I have a lot to lose from this, if it continues to be enforced. I have a condo here, a car, 2 golfclub memberships. I have never worked here (I earn damn good money abroad), have no intention of ever working here, and I have to say I am concerned. My only hope is that this is just another short-lived weed-out of the teachers, tourguides and other oxygen thieves (timeshare sales) and in a few weeks we are back to business as usual.

You could apply for a 1 year multi-entry visa rather than existing on visa exemptions. Surely you could get a non-O for visiting friends who are here legally - as in local Thais and legal ex-pats.

seams verry clear for me.

I have non imigrante O and pay up to 10000.00 bath every 90 days for stay with my lady and my children. The 10000.00 baht is for bus transport duk duk visa to Laos transport in Laos hotel and food and then in the end visa for Thailand and transport back to my home..

From the original poster - - "..The order, posted in Thai (click here), states that the new rule is to come into effect at all immigration checkpoints – including airports – after August 12.."

My status - - I am age 65, retired, condo owner, and I get an annual retirement extension from immigration, no problem.

But - - What about my best friend's status? This is his profile - -

** Age 38

** American

** Wealthy

** Condo Owner here in Bangkok, has local banking, and calls Thailand "home".

** He is "functionally retired" (does not work) (but he is less than age 50)

** He currently flies in and out every 30 days; He stays one or two nights in Hong Kong, Singapore, or Bali, and he then returns through Swampy Boom, and he's been doing that for 5-years.

** He fits the profile that Thailand allegedly prefers - - Wealthy, clean-cut, dresses smartly, no tattoos, piercings, or other trashy appearance.

** On the other hand, he is not married. He rents a different high-end "escort" every so often, but he does not frequent bars. He doesn't precisely fit the negative "sex-pat" image.

** He does not drink, nor smoke, nor use drugs.

** He's never been in any trouble anywhere, zero criminal record.

What should my friend do? Is he at risk after August 12th ?

I suppose that he could use one of the many Thai Attorney Visa Services, and get a fresh one-year Non-O or Non-B every year, but that seems to really be illegal, given that most of these services mail your passport off to some Thai embassy for you.

Or, I suppose that he could form a Thai corporation, and pretend to work as a "consultant", and get a Work Permit, but again, he doesn't work, and he doesn't want to be forced into telling lies and cheating the system.

So - - What should my friend do? Is he at risk after August 12th ?

Thanks,

JD

speek to your freind he have to go to Thai embassy for make tourist visa there he can get double touris visa for 2000.00 baht 4 month 1 visa 60 days then go to Cambodia and get Cambodia visa and open up for they last 60 days also 4 mounth. In the Thai embassy they can tell about what he have to do because you are not a tourist if you get to many tourist visas. hope that can help you....

Edited by beowolf2012

Fabulous posting.

"if you're worried".. then "fly around", "a little further".

All that doesn't "wast time", and probably is free to your eyes ?>

Sponsoring the airline industry for the privilege of back-to-back visa, sure you're thinking ahead.

At the same time as holding down an international contracting job outside of the country..

Yes I must say I was surprised to read about this. I am affected by this, I am 39 yrs old, working all around the world, living in Thailand on visa-on-arrival for 11 yrs. I am a fly-in, fly-out global employee, and there are many of me here in Phuket. I am not married. So realistically I am not entitled to any form of non-immigrant visa, although I was able to obtain a non-O in the past when Thai Consulates were looser.

I have a lot to lose from this, if it continues to be enforced. I have a condo here, a car, 2 golfclub memberships. I have never worked here (I earn damn good money abroad), have no intention of ever working here, and I have to say I am concerned. My only hope is that this is just another short-lived weed-out of the teachers, tourguides and other oxygen thieves (timeshare sales) and in a few weeks we are back to business as usual.

You could apply for a 1 year multi-entry visa rather than existing on visa exemptions. Surely you could get a non-O for visiting friends who are here legally - as in local Thais and legal ex-pats.

I think you are using 5 year old data on how to get a Non-Imm O visa. This year the rules are that you need to be married and have a certain amount to of money sitting in a Thai bank account.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Where is still handing out friends and family non imm Os ??

I thought that all went a few years ago.

Wait. It says foreigners will still be allowed 3 entries on visa exemption status. Weren't those banned a few days ago?

that 3 exsrptions is in rule until August 12 after that get a visa from Thai embassy got it.....