Immigration boss confirms the Out-In visa run is dead

I hope they have more luck with the finger scanners than the had here in Cambodia.

They started scanning a couple of years ago. All 10 fingers of tourists that hardly speak any English, by guys that hardly speak a word of English. Huge frustration, much shouting, enormous queues.

Result: the scanners are still there but haven't been used for a year

Nonsense, they were taken at arrival and departure, not even 2 weeks ago. Pretty straight-forward, but maybe I'm used to get my prints taken..w00t.gif

Where? Not in Siem Reap. I have gone in and out 6 times this month alone, not once were my fingerprints taken. They still take them in Poipet, I don;t know about PP, but in SR they stopped. I live here and fly frequently, why would I say it if it weren't true.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All very confusing. "In and out", yes but what time-limit? I give an example, I am planning a 6-7 week holiday in November. There is a good chance I would not stay all the time in the Kingdom. My plan is after 2 weeks, to do a tour in Burma/Myanmar, for 6 days. Then go back less then 30 days to Thailand. Could that already put me in "trouble"?

If I just apply for a tourist-visa and stay in the Kingdom all the time, that would be no problem.

Just explain all that when you apply for your double entry tourist visa in the Thai embassy/consulate in your country. smile.png

A Single entry Tourist Visa is appropriate for that itinerary, as you get permission for 30 days on your return.

Question:

On some occasions do visa runs from Laos to Thailand. I enter and exit Thailand on same day. I know several people in Vientiane who do same.

Will we be affected?

Likely not, as you have a credible tourism plan. :)

Many expats have lived here for years, on a small pension say 800 to 1200 $ a month. Those guys have used or abused the system. Some don't have a option, since then don't meet the 800.000 Baht requirement for retirement visa, nor age requirement age 50 up.

For those who want to take a short trip to another country and return to Thailand,

Re Entry Permit can be had at Immigration offices and Airport.

ED visa had crackdown before, so only genuine people who actually attend class and improve their Thai, should apply.

I find the 'timing' of this restriction to be odd. 50 countries have issued Travel Warning, tourist numbers are down.

Add this in/out restriction to the equation, and we will see less than average tourist numbers, this summer.

If more mayhem demonstrations in Bangkok streets, it will be more than quiet.

However Thailand have more lifes than a cat, so doom sayers should not celebrate yet.

• Like 1

I hope they have more luck with the finger scanners than the had here in Cambodia.

They started scanning a couple of years ago. All 10 fingers of tourists that hardly speak any English, by guys that hardly speak a word of English. Huge frustration, much shouting, enormous queues.

Nonsense, they were taken at arrival and departure, not even 2 weeks ago. Pretty straight-forward, but maybe I'm used to get my prints taken..w00t.gif

Where? Not in Siem Reap. I have gone in and out 6 times this month alone, not once were my fingerprints taken. They still take them in Poipet, I don;t know about PP, but in SR they stopped. I live here and fly frequently, why would I say it if it weren't true.

Entry and Exit in Phnom Penh, it's the same scanner they use now at embassies for the Schengen Visa. In PNH, either I got perfect prints the first time, or they don't care much as long there is something on their screens. At the embassy they took a few scans until they got a perfect print.

How would this have prevented 2 passengers boarding the missing plane on dodgy passports that were "recycled" in Thailand ?

Maybe a closer inspection of the facts will show you that the passports were stolen in Thailand and the bookings were made n Thailand and the immigrants were in Thailand and doing visa runs to extend their stay till arrangements were made for their travel

This honestly doesn't seem too much different than what has been going on for years, only this time the in and outers will definitely not be welcome. I remember back when I was here on tourist visas the discussion was always about which embassy or consulate was the friendliest or most difficult, and yes, places within the region really tightened up...but it still was and is possible to use agents in Phnom Penh or elsewhere to obtain multiple or single entry tourist visas. I always wondered why anyone wanting to stay here long term wouldn't make the effort to go to a proper consulate or embassy and get a real visa that allowed them to stay longer rather than going back and forth across the border every two weeks, just makes no sense at all. I don't read the new law as having any affect on tourist visas or on those with them, as they are bonafide visit documents. I would highly doubt that anyone going out for 3 days on a double entry tourist visa will not be stamped back in for their second entry coming back. Those who do not have a visa will be the ones affected. It doesn't take that much of an effort to play by the rules and pay some cash and get the appropriate paperwork...it always has been and always will be quite easy.

• Like 2

Blacklisted for visa runs w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gifw00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gifw00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif

"If we believe their purpose in coming to Thailand is not what they say it is, then we will order them to leave and they will be blacklisted. They will not be able to return to Thailand, ever."

How about that?!

You are trying very hard today, if immigration reads this site the penny might finally drop..................coffee1.gif

or someone simply gathers all the postings together and sends em off to immigation.

All very confusing. "In and out", yes but what time-limit? I give an example, I am planning a 6-7 week holiday in November. There is a good chance I would not stay all the time in the Kingdom. My plan is after 2 weeks, to do a tour in Burma/Myanmar, for 6 days. Then go back less then 30 days to Thailand. Could that already put me in "trouble"?

If I just apply for a tourist-visa and stay in the Kingdom all the time, that would be no problem.

Just explain all that when you apply for your double entry tourist visa in the Thai embassy/consulate in your country. smile.png

A Single entry Tourist Visa is appropriate for that itinerary, as you get permission for 30 days on your return.

If he wants to leave Thailand and come back after a week or so -- he needs a double entry

Entry and Exit in Phnom Penh, it's the same scanner they use now at embassies for the Schengen Visa. In PNH, either I got perfect prints the first time, or they don't care much as long there is something on their screens. At the embassy they took a few scans until they got a perfect print.

Fair enough. As I said, I don't know about PP. SR is way busier and the finger-scanning thing was a farce. You are right, I had my fingers scanned for a German passport and they were fussy like heck. I somehow doubt that Khmer immigration officials work to the same standard.....

The black list threat seems pretty horrible if it's just based on their "opinion" about a person. I can see that in case of an arrest and evidence proven. Imagine if it happened to you and it wasn't true especially if you are settled with lots of property here. This kind of hard core tactic should be really troubling to ALL foreigners here, no matter how totally legit you think you are. You might think this isn't about you, but to immigration you're just another SUSPECT, and don't forget that.

---------------

Blacklisting and forever banning some of the out-and-out criminals can only be a good thing.

I see several people bleating about being "respectable", owning property, etc -- If they are such pillars of society they will have no problem in getting a triple-entry tourist visa from their home country, which can be made valid for over a year using the immigration office in Thailand to get the extensions, etc.

But what happens if u r respectable, owning property etc., with a triple entry tourist Visa, which I use, to come every Winter? If they now start asking questions on re-entry at the border and u tell the truth about staying at property u own or rent with your 'girlfriend', or even renting a property alone, can they legitimately say: "Well that means u r not a tourist then", and refuse re-entry. Is it legal for a 'tourist' to rent a property in Thailand.? Are we, to be safe, going to have to be dishonest and give a false itinery or hotel address?

As I understand it from many previous posts -- people with a proper visa in their passports will not have a problem. The increased enforcement is for "out-in" visa runners who do not have a visa and rely on the permit-to-enter stamp.

As has been said many times -- the rules have not changed .. all that is happening is that they will actually be enforced.

• Like 2

I believe they should be hooked into Interphol and US Fingerprint Data Bases.. For those who are legally in the country with a proper visa and/or extension there should be an ID Card issued to them with a five year maximum time frame, buy it one time and cut out all this sorry Visa Extension every year.

The other good side is they may catch some of these crooks, terrorist, human trafficers.

The toilet in Thailand needs to be flushed from time to time.

Jerry

It never ceases to amaze me how many foreigners rush to take the side of throw the baby out with the bath water Thai immigration police policies. In my view, it's a pathetic variation of the Stockholm Syndrome. You are not as superior as you think. Perhaps you think you are a "credit to the farang kind" but you might be surprised how you are REALLY viewed here. Tomorrow it might be you caught up in some roughshod enforcement, and you might lose a lot!

Most of them are geezers with nothing better to worry about.

• Like 1

I believe that the ED mill language schools will be thriving now. Immigration will probably make them their next target for "undesirables".

We can only hope so. How about having the schools take and report attendance weekly, report those that are not attending, and deporting those missing too many classes ... and if too many students get deported, the school looses its license. Seems fair.

David

Edited by Genericnic

But what happens if u r respectable, owning property etc., with a triple entry tourist Visa, which I use, to come every Winter? If they now start asking questions on re-entry at the border and u tell the truth about staying at property u own or rent with your 'girlfriend', or even renting a property alone, can they legitimately say: "Well that means u r not a tourist then", and refuse re-entry. Is it legal for a 'tourist' to rent a property in Thailand.? Are we, to be safe, going to have to be dishonest and give a false itinery or hotel address?

AFAIK, this whole debacle is NOT about people with tourist visas. It's about people doing VISA-EXEMPT (no-visa) entries.

It's the VISA-EXEMPT people they're talking about scrutinizing.

If you're holding a legitimate tourist visa, you shouldn't have any problem with Immigration.

However, depending on the Thai Embassy/Consulate on where you obtain your tourist visa, they have varying policies about how many/how often they're willing to issue them, especially at some of the countries bordering Thailand. But if you're getting the tourist visa at your home country outside Asia, I'd say it's unlikely to be a problem there either.

• Like 1

I think like many countries people should have the correct Visas. This is not strange but normal practice. Fingerprinting is an excellent idea anywhere, not just airports but ID Card, banks etc.

Why not Tattoo them also.................Oh thats been done before hasnt it!!

I believe they should be hooked into Interphol and US Fingerprint Data Bases.. For those who are legally in the country with a proper visa and/or extension there should be an ID Card issued to them with a five year maximum time frame, buy it one time and cut out all this sorry Visa Extension every year.

The other good side is they may catch some of these crooks, terrorist, human trafficers.

The toilet in Thailand needs to be flushed from time to time.

Jerry

Jerry,

If you strike out your own words, what are you really trying to say?

• Like 1

does earning money via the internet count as illegal working? I see many who are too young to get a retirement visa but earn good overseas income as programers etc. I have no worries with my retirement visa. The only thing that sucks about it is you have to be old to get one!

• Like 1