Moving To South Thailand

Spider

Sawassdee.

Hello all. I have just joined this forum hoping that some of you here can give me advice on a few things. We are moving to South Thailand soon(September)We are planning to stay for a year. Is it easy to find a house for rent? We are interested in Nakhon Sithammarat and Trang provinces. I would appreaciate it if any of you who have a link to share regarding house rental. We are a family of 4. What's the rent for

a 3 or 4 bedroom house in these provinces like?High speed internet access is important for us. Is it available there?

We have 2 kids ages 5 and 7. We are planning to homeschool my 7 year old daughter and put her younger brother in a local Kindergarten. Does any of you know the procedure for enrolling a child(foreigner) in kindergarten there? What kind of kindy are available?

My daughter is intersted in learning Thai classical dance. Does any of you have info on this?

Thank you.

Sawassdee.

Hello all. I have just joined this forum hoping that some of you here can give me advice on a few things. We are moving to South Thailand soon(September)We are planning to stay for a year. Is it easy to find a house for rent? We are interested in Nakhon Sithammarat and Trang provinces. I would appreaciate it if any of you who have a link to share regarding house rental. We are a family of 4. What's the rent for

a 3 or 4 bedroom house in these provinces like?High speed internet access is important for us. Is it available there?

We have 2 kids ages 5 and 7. We are planning to homeschool my 7 year old daughter and put her younger brother in a local Kindergarten. Does any of you know the procedure for enrolling a child(foreigner) in kindergarten there? What kind of kindy are available?

My daughter is intersted in learning Thai classical dance. Does any of you have info on this?

Thank you.

Houses are available but have never heard of any agents in Nakhon. 3-4 bedroom detached houses with garden run about 4-6000 a month. You should link up with one of the long term farang in town to guide you through the possibilities when you get here. Be careful, some people dealing without sound advice have been way over charged.

Most areas in town have ADSL and some of the moo-baan also have it. With kids you are probably better of in one of the out of town moo-baans, much quieter and more child friendly.

There are many private kindergarten in town. As for enrolling I doubt there will be any problems, just pay the fees. There is a 5 year old Anglo-Australian girl at my moo-baan going to one, no problems getting her in. As for classical Thai dancing, should not be a problem finding classes or teachers here, know a couple.

Need any other info PM me.

Sean

Sawassdee.

Thank you.

Houses are available but have never heard of any agents in Nakhon. 3-4 bedroom detached houses with garden run about 4-6000 a month. You should link up with one of the long term farang in town to guide you through the possibilities when you get here. Be careful, some people dealing without sound advice have been way over charged.

Most areas in town have ADSL and some of the moo-baan also have it. With kids you are probably better of in one of the out of town moo-baans, much quieter and more child friendly.

There are many private kindergarten in town. As for enrolling I doubt there will be any problems, just pay the fees. There is a 5 year old Anglo-Australian girl at my moo-baan going to one, no problems getting her in. As for classical Thai dancing, should not be a problem finding classes or teachers here, know a couple.

Need any other info PM me.

Sean

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your advice. I will pm you. Just found out what moo-baans are. :o I'm sure gonna have a hard time communicating over there.

Gisele also lives in Nakhon, you might give her a PM as well.

Hi sbk. Thanks for your response. Actually,now we are thinking about finding a place in either Patthalung or Trang province. Anyone knows about housing in these area? I'm just gonna homeschool my 2 kids and try to find some local kids their age as playmates. I would like to pm Gisele too to find out what's the house rental in Nokhon is like. I don't mind living in Nakhon though both my husband and I prefer the coast of Trang.

Hi sbk. Thanks for your response. Actually,now we are thinking about finding a place in either Patthalung or Trang province. Anyone knows about housing in these area? I'm just gonna homeschool my 2 kids and try to find some local kids their age as playmates. I would like to pm Gisele too to find out what's the house rental in Nokhon is like. I don't mind living in Nakhon though both my husband and I prefer the coast of Trang.

PM me and I can give you info on Trang. But generally houses are 3-4 thousand.

PM me and I can give you info on Trang. But generally houses are 3-4 thousand.

Hi Meme, thanks for your response. 3-4 thousand is not bad. I will pm you.

Spider,

Maybe consider Nakon and/or Trang, but Patthalung in my opinion is a bit too much in the 'unrest' provinces. In both Nakohn and Trang it's also probably easier to integrate with other (few) westerners around, in case you're interested in that at all.

Spider,

Maybe consider Nakon and/or Trang, but Patthalung in my opinion is a bit too much in the 'unrest' provinces. In both Nakohn and Trang it's also probably easier to integrate with other (few) westerners around, in case you're interested in that at all.

Limbos,

Has there been any incident of 'unrest' in Pattalung?

I live in gated community, 2 story, 3 bath, 3 bedrooms rent for about 6000 baht, there are plenty of new construction around Nakhon. I don't know of any agent.

My 12 year old daughter goes to a school with a good English program,

http://www.sss.ac.th/epm/epmathayom.html

What brings you to the South?

Thanks Gisele,

My husband will be doing a research on music in local folk thetre. Thanks for the link. I will look at it eventhough I have decided to just homeschool my 5 year old boy too.

I wouldn't say Phattalung is anything like the unrest provinces. I have only ever found it to be very friendly, though also very quiet. Their is some beautiful scenery there too and it is so far relatively untouched tourism wise

I wouldn't say Phattalung is anything like the unrest provinces. I have only ever found it to be very friendly, though also very quiet. Their is some beautiful scenery there too and it is so far relatively untouched tourism wise

Thanks for your comment tingnongnoi. I appreciate it very much. Have a nice day.

Thanks for your comment tingnongnoi. I appreciate it very much. Have a nice day.

no problem your welcome. I haven't spent a huge amount of time there, but have made about 3 trips now and have loved it every time ive been. My partner is from Phattalung though so have been made very welcome by her family and friends.

no problem your welcome. I haven't spent a huge amount of time there, but have made about 3 trips now and have loved it every time ive been. My partner is from Phattalung though so have been made very welcome by her family and friends.

We made a trip to Pattalung last summer. It's a nice place. We prefer Nakhon but also like Pattalung because of its location,sort of in the centre of all the areas where my husband will be doing his research. We are not sure yet either Nakhon or Pattalung. We will decide once we get there.

My wife is from Phatthalung, so I have been there several times. In fact we even had a traditional Thai wedding there. It is a quiet province that tends to get flooded every year sometime between October and December. I have never been there during those months so I can't say how bad it is, but I know my wife says her village (about 20 km South from Phatthalung town) always gets flooded. In fact, when she was young, her parent's house was washed away. It was rebuilt and we even built a new taller (on cement pilings) bungalow behind their house as a place for us to visit.

The town of Phatthalung is quite nice. Last year when I was there I was told that they will be building a Lotus Tesco near the town. Last summer there wasn't any western fast food places like McDonalds, KFC, etc. For that we needed to drive to Trang which is a beautiful but somewhat dangerous 1 hour drive over a mountain range.

I rarely see other farang around, but I did see more last time than ever before. In fact, the next door neighbor is married to a Swiss guy and living in Switzerland most of the year. The area has some nice waterfalls that you can swim in. It also has Buddhist temples in caves. In the center of town is a tall limestone mountain with caves in it. They have friendly monkeys that you can feed. They won't hurt you unlike the monkeys they have in Lopburi (North of Bangkok). Another nice attraction is the large lake that is a bird refuge about 5 km from the town.

When I need more action, more shopping options, or western food, I go to Hat Yai. There are busses that run between Phatthalung and Hat Yai regularly.

You may find Phatthalung a bit too Thai for you. As for me, I only stay about a week at a time when I visit. We currently live in the USA, so we only make visits there.

My wife is from Phatthalung, so I have been there several times. In fact we even had a traditional Thai wedding there. It is a quiet province that tends to get flooded every year sometime between October and December. I have never been there during those months so I can't say how bad it is, but I know my wife says her village (about 20 km South from Phatthalung town) always gets flooded. In fact, when she was young, her parent's house was washed away. It was rebuilt and we even built a new taller (on cement pilings) bungalow behind their house as a place for us to visit.

The town of Phatthalung is quite nice. Last year when I was there I was told that they will be building a Lotus Tesco near the town. Last summer there wasn't any western fast food places like McDonalds, KFC, etc. For that we needed to drive to Trang which is a beautiful but somewhat dangerous 1 hour drive over a mountain range.

I rarely see other farang around, but I did see more last time than ever before. In fact, the next door neighbor is married to a Swiss guy and living in Switzerland most of the year. The area has some nice waterfalls that you can swim in. It also has Buddhist temples in caves. In the center of town is a tall limestone mountain with caves in it. They have friendly monkeys that you can feed. They won't hurt you unlike the monkeys they have in Lopburi (North of Bangkok). Another nice attraction is the large lake that is a bird refuge about 5 km from the town.

When I need more action, more shopping options, or western food, I go to Hat Yai. There are busses that run between Phatthalung and Hat Yai regularly.

You may find Phatthalung a bit too Thai for you. As for me, I only stay about a week at a time when I visit. We currently live in the USA, so we only make visits there.

Hi Donx, thanks for your lengthy reply. I appreciate it very much. We visited Patthalung last summer too. Yes, it's a nice place. I don't mind if it's a bit too Thai. We don't go to fast food restaurants other than pizza parlor, so it does not matter whether Pattalung has any western fast food restaurants or not. The bird refuge sounds good. How do one get there? Just go or do we need to hire a boat/guide? Thanks Donx. Have a nice summer.

Hi Donx, thanks for your lengthy reply. I appreciate it very much. We visited Patthalung last summer too. Yes, it's a nice place. I don't mind if it's a bit too Thai. We don't go to fast food restaurants other than pizza parlor, so it does not matter whether Pattalung has any western fast food restaurants or not. The bird refuge sounds good. How do one get there? Just go or do we need to hire a boat/guide? Thanks Donx. Have a nice summer.

I can't remember the way exactly, but you basically go toward the big lake (go east from town) and follow a road that goes north along the lakefront. It was about a half hour drive if I remember correctly. Where we went there was a house for the Thai Queen on the water. We just hired a long boat that took us around. I am sure there are boats for hire near the lake access closer to Phatthalung. Several times I have eaten at the restaurants that line the lakefront close to town. Its a wonderful way to relax and enjoy the local specialty of spiney king prawns that come from the lake.