Fishing Bangkok And Pattaya

roy deacon

I have just updated my web site for venues for fishing in Pataya and Bungsan.I have now added directions on how to get to Bungsan from Pattaya and from Bangkok.I hope this is helpfull to anybody that wishes to go there.

The web address is http://bungsanlanlake.netfirms.com

If any body has other fishing venues or web sites please contact me and I will try and add them.This is one sure way to beat the tour operators who are expensive and will not tell you how to get to these places

• 3 months later...
I have just updated my web site for venues for fishing in Pataya and Bungsan.I have now added directions on how to get to Bungsan from Pattaya and from Bangkok.I hope this is helpfull to anybody that wishes to go there.

If any body has other fishing venues or web sites please contact me and I will try and add them.This is one sure way to beat the tour operators who are expensive and will not tell you how to get to these places

Hi Roy, this is Ray. I'm from australia and i'm a keen fisherman. I was just wondering if it was a good idea to bring my own fishing equipment with me or do the charter boats offer good fishing rods and tackle?

I'm very keen to take on some big fish and i have the equipment to do that.......what is your opinion on this? I would really appreciate any help you can give me and any guidelines on how much it costs to hire rods and stuff like that.

Can you recommend any really good fishing locations for some big fish?

For big carp and catfish you need very strong rods, GT popper fishing rods are ideal. Reel should be 6500 Baitrunner with 40lb mono. If you use braid you will need a shock leader.

Using UK carp rods and 3500 baitrunners is not a good idea. It's very bad for the fish, you will have to fight the fish much longer, consequently larger fish will often die from exhaustion.

If you really wanna have fun, go into the jungle fishing for giant snakeheads with frog lures.

This is the best fishing in Thailand.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Dear Roy,

I've been looking through your website, you are a real credit to the sport and yourself. The gallery 'WOW' !! Poses with some mighty fish - I especially like the Mekong Carp you caught. It is great for me to learn from such a highly experienced angler like yourself.

Myself, I fish on a regular basis in Thailand but I would never compare myself to someone of your talents - you have certainly shown the world how 'going it alone' really pays off big time. I personally have only ever fished with guides and to be honest I am worried about my health - I get terrible aches and pains from playing fish that average 50lb+ all day long.

Due to health factors I had to stop fishing for Mekong catfish, reading your website has been like a gift from God for me. I never even realised that Bungsamran had fish as small as the ones shown in your gallery, and as a fellow angler I beg for you to give me the recipe for these small cats.

However - I was very dissapointed to read your warning about Mr.Tee. He is a very kind man with amazing ability to catch catfish averaging 50lb all day long. This incident has been totally blown out of proportion - many Thai men play and fool around in this style it is not meant in any perverted manner and means nothing whatsoever. It can easily be miss-read by guests in Thailand or anyone who does not understand Thailand or the Thai way. People make miss-judgements this is human - much like the bar where you are often seen with ladyboys in arm.

To respectfully correct a few mistake I noticed on your website - here is a list of things you will learn from:-

Mekong carp - Actually it is a Siamese carp

'Yet another carp' in your gallery is acutally a Rohu or Indian carp to be specific about this species.

Bungsanlan - is incorrect. Bung mean 'lake' - Sam Ran means 'leisure\luxuy' But your mistake is common because 'R' is pronounced as an 'L'.

The price per rod is not 500B - it is now 1000B - bungalow between 800-2000 per 12 hours

With all of this money you are saving by 'going it alone' I expect your website to have a face lift and I highly recommend purchasing a camera with great zoom functions to really show off those giants you keep catching.

Keep up the good work and cut out the CARP you talk.

Your biggest fan - the big fish man.

Did you eat those big catfish ?

• 8 months later...

This thread and associated link to website, has got to be the best advert Ive ever seen for taking up a guiding service anywhere!

I laughed my ass off when I read it, and looked at the "site". Bigfishman your sense of humour man! Wish I could write like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Is there any decent and free places to fish in Bangkok. Is Mae Nam Chao Phraya decent. If so, what parts?

Also, what kind of bate or lure would you recommend?

I live near Saphan Mai, Bangkok. There are a couple of fishing parks near my home, that I've used before.

The fishing is mainly for Mekong Catfish (Plaa Suaii, I think?)

bait used, is scented bread mix, moulded into a big ball.

Cost for a days fishing is around 150-200 baht including bait.

• 4 months later...

As everyone else, I'm looking for some good places to fish. I'm actually interested in fishing for Barramundi or Snakehead or large Tilapia. I prefer fishing with lures. I read on a couple of Thai websites about a couple of private ponds for Barramundi fishing. One is called Boon Mar and is somewhere near Chachongsaeo but specific directions were not given. The other is 15 minutes driving from the new airport in Bkk, again specific directions not given. Does anyone out there know of these two places and exactly how to get there. I want to drive myself and don't want to pay the high price for a guide to take me there.

• 1 month later...

hi there

well you are going to hate this posting

Boonma Ponds is only open to tour companies, it is not open to the general public.

the other one close by is nongs I dont know the number for that one but I will track it down for you, I only fish boonma as the barra there are stunning, nongs I think is open to the public and is alot cheaper.

you could try some of the smalller local lakes as they often have types of snakehead in them, they are normaly about 50 - 100 baht a day

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Roy,

I've been looking through your website, you are a real credit to the sport and yourself. The gallery 'WOW' !! Poses with some mighty fish - I especially like the Mekong Carp you caught. It is great for me to learn from such a highly experienced angler like yourself.

Myself, I fish on a regular basis in Thailand but I would never compare myself to someone of your talents - you have certainly shown the world how 'going it alone' really pays off big time. I personally have only ever fished with guides and to be honest I am worried about my health - I get terrible aches and pains from playing fish that average 50lb+ all day long.

Due to health factors I had to stop fishing for Mekong catfish, reading your website has been like a gift from God for me. I never even realised that Bungsamran had fish as small as the ones shown in your gallery, and as a fellow angler I beg for you to give me the recipe for these small cats.

However - I was very dissapointed to read your warning about Mr.Tee. He is a very kind man with amazing ability to catch catfish averaging 50lb all day long. This incident has been totally blown out of proportion - many Thai men play and fool around in this style it is not meant in any perverted manner and means nothing whatsoever. It can easily be miss-read by guests in Thailand or anyone who does not understand Thailand or the Thai way. People make miss-judgements this is human - much like the bar where you are often seen with ladyboys in arm.

To respectfully correct a few mistake I noticed on your website - here is a list of things you will learn from:-

'Yet another carp' in your gallery is acutally a Rohu or Indian carp to be specific about this species.

Bungsanlan - is incorrect. Bung mean 'lake' - Sam Ran means 'leisure\luxuy' But your mistake is common because 'R' is pronounced as an 'L'.

The price per rod is not 500B - it is now 1000B - bungalow between 800-2000 per 12 hours

With all of this money you are saving by 'going it alone' I expect your website to have a face lift and I highly recommend purchasing a camera with great zoom functions to really show off those giants you keep catching.

Its easy to sit on your big fat ass and take the piss out of someone who's made an effort to help fellow anglers. Its obvious you are just taking a cheap shot as a tour operator and want to keep on ripping off freshly arrived tourists. Instead of discouraging people who try to help just big butt out. What a contrast with the other tour guide who posts. He's a real help. You are a disgrace.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Thai fishermen,

Please let me introduce myself: I am a 50 years old engineer from Spain moving to Rayong for a few years to develop a project concerning AAT business. Considering I am a fishing adict (fishaholic?) I am very concerned in preparing my fishing options once there.

Currently I only practice boat fishing at sea however I am fascinated with your exotic (for me) way of fishing artificial lakes and ponds under a hut with drinks from the close cantina. In Spain fish is not owned privately and all available are savage. In other hand, fishing sweet water there is a lot more harder: Far spots, hard access and very few catches. In de past I had any points against fishing farm fish, however I am very open minded and if that is fun for Thai fishermen, sure it is fine also for me.

Initially I will be in a hotel at Pattaya from 10th February. If anybody can help me by completing the list of fishing options from Pataya started by Roy, including all kind of sea fishing except game fishing (I do not like game fishing when I am not the skipper) I will be very grateful and owe you one.

I do not mind to pay for fishing, guides or boat hire, however I am not rich so I will appreciate that your suggestions focus to middle class fishermen going fishing every weekend, not just to rich tourists spending his only annual adventure.

Best regards,

• 1 year later...

Dear Roy,

Its easy to sit on your big fat ass and take the piss out of someone who's made an effort to help fellow anglers. Its obvious you are just taking a cheap shot as a tour operator and want to keep on ripping off freshly arrived tourists. Instead of discouraging people who try to help just big butt out. What a contrast with the other tour guide who posts. He's a real help. You are a disgrace.

LOL LOL LOL! LMAO!!!

Hi Roy, this is Ray. I'm from australia and i'm a keen fisherman. I was just wondering if it was a good idea to bring my own fishing equipment with me or do the charter boats offer good fishing rods and tackle?

I'm very keen to take on some big fish and i have the equipment to do that.......what is your opinion on this? I would really appreciate any help you can give me and any guidelines on how much it costs to hire rods and stuff like that.

Can you recommend any really good fishing locations for some big fish?

G'day Ray, im an aussie too. check our website out www bedrockguesthousebargrill com . We organise fishing charters and we are on the east coast opposite Koh Samet Island. U can see some of the fish from our night charters in our gallery . cheers Mark email me if you have an interest

brgds Mark