Thai Immigration is determined to prevent abuse of visa exceptions

How can i show onward travel tickets for all three entries !!!??? I can show a ticket that i fly back to europe after 6 month. Is this enough ???

Yes, onward travel tickets for all 3 entries are really not required.

Although I also don't think this will be an issue, you do need to understand that a multiple entry visa's purpose is to make multiple visits within the validity of the visa. It is not intended to be used back to back. Extensions of stay are designed to stay in the country longer periods of time. So if immigration really wants to crackdown on visa / exemption abusers, then they could ask for return ticket at each entrance with a travel date before the permission to stay date

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said it was?

And to my recollection a Russian female was denied entry recently even after attempting to show her bank balance and offering to buy an onward ticket there and then.

I posted earlier that I was questioned extensively and that ,my passport was passed up the line to a senior official. I pointed out that the vast majority of the stamps in my passport were short stay - when I did that the tension lessened, Once I handed over my onward flight details dated 18 days in advance I was stamped in immediately.

I pointed out that the fact that my passport is virtually full may have been a factor in me being targeted. I am a genuine tourist, I don't live in Thailand. I have had one double entry visa in the past, even then I vacated before the visa ran out.

I was not standing there with multiple back to back visas and border runs. I am not who they are looking for.

Some of you guys are going to show up with the exact profile that they are looking for. Years of back to to back tourist visas, border runs, the lot. Some of you may present yourselves with a combination including Non-O. Anyway, let's not be stupid or dramatic about it.

You know, and it it may well apply to you TT69, that you have been living in the Kingdom. If any immigration officer at the border decided to have a look you're in bother. What you think and what will be are two totally different things. Just wait until the snowbirds arrive - if immigration continue with any level of increased scrutiny a lot of people are in for a shock.

So I say do not present yourself with a tourist visa without a 90 day exit flight booked. You only need one as you have not activated the second one yet anyway. Come the second one, repeat. For all it costs for a flight, especially one booked three or four months in advance, why would you not err on the side of caution?

For genuine tourists not being in possession of a return/onward ticket will not be an issue. For people trying to cheat the system, like the girl in your example, suspected of working illegally, a suspicion that proved correct, it might be.

So even in those cases entry will not be denied because they're not in possession of an onward ticket, but because they're cheating the system.

There has always been a requirement for tourists on visa-exempt to prove onward travel.

I am suggesting that people with tourist visas should err on the side of caution.

You say not - I say up to you.

I have told you my experience on Saturday - Soutpeel has told you his experience yesterday.

If you haven't traversed the border recently - I suggest a bit of silence is in order. We all know how lax the old regime was - you will be seeing daily reports of people being interrogated soon.

I have traveled last month, so easily after the announcement of stricter checks.

Nothing wrong with getting more information by asking people. Why do you even mention visa exempt, we're not talking about that here, so better to not confuse the issue.

And no, you're not 'suggesting', you're claiming people are giving bad advice when they say an onward/return ticket is not necessary with tourist visa for genuine tourists.

Did you read the topic title? "Prevent abuse of visa exceptions."

I just had a quick scan of my passport - twenty three entries to Thailand - 19 by flight, 4 by land. 21 of those arrivals have been visa exempt. Two on tourist visas. I have never been questioned by at the border before.

Bang on topic I was questioned on Saturday. Visa exempt entry - "why are you here?" - then passport passed to a senior immigration officer.

Producing my onward flight details resulted in an immediate approval to enter.

...................................................................................................................................................

Anyone disbursing information based upon what the embassies say is not acknowledging two realities.

The embassies have never controlled the borders. - Visas being granted and the border police agreeing to entry into the Kingdom are two different things. It has always been thus.

The second and more brutal reality is that they are now stopping and questioning people - me on Saturday, Soutpeel yesterday - and I'm pretty sure we are not the only two guys questioned this week.

I was pulled due to the amount of stamps in my passport - Soutpeel can speak for himself - I lay you odds he was the same. though.

So I don't care what the embassies say - if you have a track record of visits to Thailand, arrive at the airport with an onward flight booked. Visa exempt or Tourist Visa - I don't care.

Err on the side of caution.

If they are getting tighter already - it's going to be tasty on August 12th.

Not sure where to post this so will put it in here:

I did do my 3rd back to back border crossing last saturday on Hat lek.

I have couple tourist visa's on my passport and 30 day extend each of them. 2 land crossing stamps with 60 days extend.

Departed:

They did use more time than normally and they did want to know how long will I stay in Cambodia, I answered just 1 day. They also asked do I have family in Thailand and I did answer yes (because I have) then they did again use more time to look my passport. Then another officer did come to me and say that I need to get visa if I wanted to stay in thailand longer time and my answer was, yes and that's why I'm flying on next tuesday to Lao to do visa (what I'm not planing to do on this point but on future yes...) No questions about fly ticket just little talk about Lao etc.

Cambodia they did try to get extra 300BHT from visa Total 1300BHT because going back to Thailand on same day what I refused to pay and no questions asked.

Arrived:

After stamping on Cambodia and arriving back to Thailand no questions asked just stamped my passport with 14 days stamp.

Who said it was?

And to my recollection a Russian female was denied entry recently even after attempting to show her bank balance and offering to buy an onward ticket there and then.

I posted earlier that I was questioned extensively and that ,my passport was passed up the line to a senior official. I pointed out that the vast majority of the stamps in my passport were short stay - when I did that the tension lessened, Once I handed over my onward flight details dated 18 days in advance I was stamped in immediately.

I pointed out that the fact that my passport is virtually full may have been a factor in me being targeted. I am a genuine tourist, I don't live in Thailand. I have had one double entry visa in the past, even then I vacated before the visa ran out.

I was not standing there with multiple back to back visas and border runs. I am not who they are looking for.

Some of you guys are going to show up with the exact profile that they are looking for. Years of back to to back tourist visas, border runs, the lot. Some of you may present yourselves with a combination including Non-O. Anyway, let's not be stupid or dramatic about it.

You know, and it it may well apply to you TT69, that you have been living in the Kingdom. If any immigration officer at the border decided to have a look you're in bother. What you think and what will be are two totally different things. Just wait until the snowbirds arrive - if immigration continue with any level of increased scrutiny a lot of people are in for a shock.

So I say do not present yourself with a tourist visa without a 90 day exit flight booked. You only need one as you have not activated the second one yet anyway. Come the second one, repeat. For all it costs for a flight, especially one booked three or four months in advance, why would you not err on the side of caution?
For genuine tourists not being in possession of a return/onward ticket will not be an issue. For people trying to cheat the system, like the girl in your example, suspected of working illegally, a suspicion that proved correct, it might be.

So even in those cases entry will not be denied because they're not in possession of an onward ticket, but because they're cheating the system.

There has always been a requirement for tourists on visa-exempt to prove onward travel.

I am suggesting that people with tourist visas should err on the side of caution.

You say not - I say up to you.

I have told you my experience on Saturday - Soutpeel has told you his experience yesterday.

If you haven't traversed the border recently - I suggest a bit of silence is in order. We all know how lax the old regime was - you will be seeing daily reports of people being interrogated soon.

I have traveled last month, so easily after the announcement of stricter checks.

Nothing wrong with getting more information by asking people. Why do you even mention visa exempt, we're not talking about that here, so better to not confuse the issue.

And no, you're not 'suggesting', you're claiming people are giving bad advice when they say an onward/return ticket is not necessary with tourist visa for genuine tourists.

I just had a quick scan of my passport - twenty three entries to Thailand - 19 by flight, 4 by land. 21 of those arrivals have been visa exempt. Two on tourist visas. I have never been questioned by at the border before.

Bang on topic I was questioned on Saturday. Visa exempt entry - "why are you here?" - then passport passed to a senior immigration officer.

...................................................................................................................................................

Anyone disbursing information based upon what the embassies say is not acknowledging two realities.

The embassies have never controlled the borders. - Visas being granted and the border police agreeing to entry into the Kingdom are two different things. It has always been thus.

The second and more brutal reality is that they are now stopping and questioning people - me on Saturday, Soutpeel yesterday - and I'm pretty sure we are not the only two guys questioned this week.

I was pulled due to the amount of stamps in my passport - Soutpeel can speak for himself - I lay you odds he was the same. though.

So I don't care what the embassies say - if you have a track record of visits to Thailand, arrive at the airport with an onward flight booked. Visa exempt or Tourist Visa - I don't care.

If they are getting tighter already - it's going to be tasty on August 12th.

Actually mine was more to do with my work status in Thailand, and yes I work in Thailand and do have a WP and have done so for the last 14 years, the point is they are paying attention to who is coming and going and yes it certainly appears they scrutinising people coming in to determine their reason for being in Thailand

Hi, im Italian and on saturday i'll leave from Italy to Thailand without visa (just 30 days stamp on arrival), i'llstay one night in bkk, the day after i leave again to china and stay there 15 days.

After that, can I have some problem when i come back from china to thailand?

(ps I have already 3 or 4 "30 days stamps" had in dec2013-march2014)

More than likely.

No way you'll have any problems. I have stayed for far longer periods in Thailand than you on a combination of non-Bs and visa exempt entries/tourist visas and I'm not currently experiencing any problems though I'm always a bit worried. I do however have flight bookings and sufficient funds, though I've never been asked to show them.

For someone who is simply "transiting" a day in Thailand you will certainly not have any problems whatsoever. So no need to worry.

Anyway, the number of entries is not nearly as important as the length of stay on each entry or in other words, the length of stay outside of Thailand - have you been spending more time in Thailand than outside, especially on tourist visa exemptions? Clearly not from what you've stated.

You right but when i will come back from china im planning to stay in thailand until end of september, so around one months and half.

What d u think? I can do "visa run" for 30 days stamp or i better if i do a standard tourist visa in thailand embassy in Kunming in China?

Finally Italy is on G7, maybe is something different, usually we can have always 30 days stamp by land

If you can obtain a visa in Kunming I'd go for that. I've applied for a tourist visa there in the past and I have assisted a friend from Sri Lanka, which wasn't easy I must add, but he received his visa the next day and the officer automatically processed a tourist visa rather than the transit visa we requested.

Poor advice, and that is going to backfire on someone.

The embassy does not require and return ticket as part of the application process. SiamLegal advise having a funded return ticket booked -

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thailand-tourist-visa.php

Someone is going to turn up here in August with a valid tourist visa and on a one way ticket. And they will be denied entry.

What the embassy says is irrelevant - immigration are going to grab the passport from the hand and pour over the visitors profile. They're going to be looking for a history of lengthy stays and multiple entries.

They're then going to look at the visitor in the eyes and say "what are you doing in Thailand?" - then the sweat will start. And at that point the visitor will not be able to show an onward travel plan. And that will be it.

There will then be a bloodbath topic started on this forum - where it will be pointed out that the management repeatedly gave out wrong advice. Get this straight once and for all -

It doesn't matter what the embassy says - the border police will decide.

And they will decide based upon the profile of your passport. I would go as far as to advise those of you with dozens of Thai entry stamps to go get a new passport. Luckily for me my passport is nearly full so when I next present myself here it will be blank.

You know, it wouldn't have bothered me if I had been denied entry on Saturday. I would have gone back to Hong Kong and had a great time. For others, showing up here after a days travel and with limited funds - getting deported would be devastating.

Do not show up here without onward travel plans.

You were denied entry on Saturday?! More details please.

Anyway, immigration officers are people and you can talk with them. Even if you don't have an onward ticket but you have access to sufficient funds you can tell immigration that you will buy an outbound ticket once inside the country. You'll give some local airline or travel agent some income by doing so. I don't think immigration will just tell you to f*** off without giving you a chance to present your case. If you are really a drifter though, chances are you haven't got any recourse and may be deported. However, I still don't believe very many people are or will be deported...Thai immigration has had the power to deport foreigners they see as not being fit to enter the country for ages and I'm quite sure they have used that power in the past too. Obviously due to the current "crackdown" more and more people are stepping forward to detail their experiences, but I still don't believe that it's a new thing for Thai immigration to deport foreigners because it definitely isn't.

Who said it was?

That Russian woman was actually working illegally in Thailand and was caught. Just because she attempted to show a bank balance didn't help. She was working illegally and that's what this crackdown is all about.

whistling.gif Let me just try this one more time,

For those of you who have to travel regularly out and into Thailand on a long term visa.

(For example, shift workers that are married to a Thai and live here on their work schedule breaks).

There has been the option for a long time (years) of purchasing a multi re-entry permit that has the same expiration as your long term visa.

So, let's just suppose you get a one year Non O visa that let's you stay in Thailand for one year.

At the same time you purchase a multi re-entry permit for 3900 baht

The visa you have is good for one year, The multi entry re-entry permit also allows you unlimited (that's why the call it multi) exits and re-entries to Thailand for the period of that visa.

Now. let's say, that your visa expires after a year and you renew it.

You also get a new multi re-entry permit at the same time for another 3900 Baht.

Can you see the logic of that?

rolleyes.gif

It also works (I believe, anyhow) with double entry and triple entry tourist visas.

The re-entry permit is good for the length of the associated visa.

I believe you can get multi entry and exits that way as long as the visa is till valid.

Just make sure you write in the re-entry permit number and put next to it the words re-entry permit on your entry card on arrival.

One of the visa experts ..... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Wrong. The multi-entry re-entry permit allows you an unlimited number of re-entries into Thailand for the period of your current permission to stay, not for the duration of the validity of your visa.

In chronological order:

1. You get your visa at a Thai consulate.

2. You travel to Thailand and get an arrival stamp showing your permission to stay.

3. You get a re-entry permit from your local immigration office. This is valid for re-entry until the date shown on the re-entry permit, which is identical to the expiration date of your permission to stay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

so in effect a multiple re-entry permit could be used in conjunction with a 60 day tourist visa ? allowing you to come and go as you please for 60 days and the visa remains intact - is that correct

I was always under the impression a multi re-entry permit was only applicable to an extension of stay based on retirement - marriage or spousal

A Multi entry Type O allows as many exits - entries as the visa is valid

Interesting

I have a question about the re-entry permit and the 30 day extension of stay added to the 60 day granted upon entry with tourist visa: If you get a re-entry permit during your initial 60 days stay and then proceed to extend for 30 days, will the re-entry permit stop at the original expiration ? Which would mean you have to get another re-entry for the 30 day extension ?

Re-entry permits are surprisingly expensive.

I have a question about the re-entry permit and the 30 day extension of stay added to the 60 day granted upon entry with tourist visa: If you get a re-entry permit during your initial 60 days stay and then proceed to extend for 30 days, will the re-entry permit stop at the original expiration ? Which would mean you have to get another re-entry for the 30 day extension ?

Re-entry permits are surprisingly expensive.

As soon as you do the 30 day extension the the existing re-entry permit would no longer valid because you would have a new permit to stay date.

A re-entry permit would need to be used before you do the extension. When you do they extension you could get another re-entry permit that would be equal to the permit to stay you have from extension that would include any remaining days you have left from the 60 days..

They do seem to be really paying attention to who is coming and going into Thailand, I came through swampy yesterday as was "questioned " as regards my "status" in Thailand even though I am on a WP/extension of stay and have been for many years

I'm taking this as an indicator of things to come. You clearly had all the correct visas and work permit yet they still scrutinised you.

Lets say you had the same or similar long term visas but no work permit, I wonder if things would have turned out the same.

There's a lot of people coming in on B visas who live in Thailand all year long. Everyone on this forum has been telling them that things will be just fine and dandy when this crackdown starts, I'm not so sure.

They do seem to be really paying attention to who is coming and going into Thailand, I came through swampy yesterday as was "questioned " as regards my "status" in Thailand even though I am on a WP/extension of stay and have been for many years

I'm taking this as an indicator of things to come. You clearly had all the correct visas and work permit yet they still scrutinised you.

Lets say you had the same or similar long term visas but no work permit, I wonder if things would have turned out the same.

There's a lot of people coming in on B visas who live in Thailand all year long. Everyone on this forum has been telling them that things will be just fine and dandy when this crackdown starts, I'm not so sure.

Let's put it this way something has changed, in 14 years I have only ever been "questioned" once before, at DM airport years ago was pulled aside and taken to an office as they said the stamp's in my PP from the one stop were fake, resolved pretty quickly when I pulled out my original WP and my business card with Thai address on it etc and they backed off pretty quickly and was sent on my way

I too have wondered what will happen if someone is living here full time only on a non-imm B with no WP, as far as I am aware the purpose of that visa is to explore business opportunities in Thailand, obviously some cant be doing that year in year out

I did hear a rumour and stress it was a rumour that there where plans a foot to require someone landing on a non-imm B was required to at least have a temporary WP, "sponsored" by the host organisation in Thailand, I do know some of the MNC's already do this and if some from overseas is coming to visit the offices in Thailand they apply for a temp WP, its only a letter issued by imm/DOL and can be issued within 1 working day and person concerned needs to have a B visa

The embassies have never controlled the borders. - Visas being granted and the border police agreeing to entry into the Kingdom are two different things. It has always been thus...

Thanks for sharing your well informed thoughts and experiences.

My passport looks very similar to yours - too many visa waiver entries to count (with many maxed out stays) and 2 or 4 tourist visas. I've always had a return ticket, but most often that return date was well beyond the expiration date of the current visa or waiver. I can always show sufficient funds, I carry traveler checks for this purpose, but thus far have never been asked by the Thais (other countries yes, but rarely).

I've never worked in Thailand, and do not intend to. All the years I've spent in Thailand have been for one reason only, and that has been to see as much of the country as possible. It has been a wonderful experience! In two weeks, I will (hopefully) fly to Bangkok from Los Angeles and enter Thailand on a visa waiver. I have been out of Thailand for the last two months. I then plan, after being in Thailand for a week or two, on flying to India. I plan on buying my ticket to India once I get to Bangkok, as I have done numerous times over the years. I have a ten-year tourist visa for India, which allows visits of six months on each entry. My return ticket to Los Angeles from Bangkok is in January. Do you foresee me having a problem, either boarding my flight to Thailand in Los Angeles, or with Thai immigration upon arrival in Bangkok? I have been carrying $2,000 US in traveler checks as proof of funds in the past, but can increase that amount. I am a US citizen traveling on a US passport. Any suggestions you make will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Edited by xray

I'm on a vacation trip to Vegas this week and for the first time in my life I was stopped at immigration at a US airport. They asked me all sorts of questions for 20 minutes. I was tired after a 15 hours flight from Bangkok via Seoul but I tried to be friendly even if it was hard.

So this officer asks me about why I stay in Thailand for so long since I'm a EU citizen . He was not happy with my honest replies so had to show him my house book in Thailand so he could see I had investments in Thailand. None of his business , I'm on vacation to have a good time in Vegas . Very strange really , never expected I would be in trouble for being a tourist in the US. They searched all my luggage , I had some herbal capsules with me , ginseng , and the label was written in Thai so he asked me to open it .

Well finally they would let me go but this was a very stressful experience . If I wasn't so calm I would probably have been in more trouble.

Edited by balo

I'm on a vacation trip to Vegas this week and for the first time in my life I was stopped at immigration at a US airport. They asked me all sorts of questions for 20 minutes. I was tired after a 15 hours flight from Bangkok via Seoul but I tried to be friendly even if it was hard.

So this officer asks me about why I stay in Thailand for so long since I'm a EU citizen . He was not happy with my honest replies so had to show him my house book in Thailand so he could see I had investments in Thailand. None of his business , I'm on vacation to have a good time in Vegas . Very strange really , never expected I would be in trouble for being a tourist in the US. They searched all my luggage , I had some herbal capsules with me , ginseng , and the label was written in Thai so he asked me to open it .

Well finally they would let me go but this was a very stressful experience . If I wasn't so calm I would probably have been in more trouble.

Don't feel too bad about it. They do it to US citizens as well. They are equal opportunity jerks. The main reason I am not looking forward to a trip back in October.

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

whistling.gif Let me just try this one more time,

For those of you who have to travel regularly out and into Thailand on a long term visa.

(For example, shift workers that are married to a Thai and live here on their work schedule breaks).

There has been the option for a long time (years) of purchasing a multi re-entry permit that has the same expiration as your long term visa.

So, let's just suppose you get a one year Non O visa that let's you stay in Thailand for one year.

At the same time you purchase a multi re-entry permit for 3900 baht

The visa you have is good for one year, The multi entry re-entry permit also allows you unlimited (that's why the call it multi) exits and re-entries to Thailand for the period of that visa.

Now. let's say, that your visa expires after a year and you renew it.

You also get a new multi re-entry permit at the same time for another 3900 Baht.

Can you see the logic of that?

rolleyes.gif

It also works (I believe, anyhow) with double entry and triple entry tourist visas.

The re-entry permit is good for the length of the associated visa.

I believe you can get multi entry and exits that way as long as the visa is till valid.

Just make sure you write in the re-entry permit number and put next to it the words re-entry permit on your entry card on arrival.

One of the visa experts ..... please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you have a one year multi-entry visa, you don't need a re-entry permit!!!! Bad advice.

FWIW I am a UK national but live in Malaysia and visit Thailand often, like every month, always on Exempt stamps and mostly stay for 5-10 days, but recently had a 30 day stay. Last year I had a tourist visa that was extended 30 days while I studied Thai. My passport is almost full, mostly of Thai entry / exit stamps. I drive in most times but have flown when visiting friends in Phuket, but even now I prefer to drive to Dannok and coach across. More flexible.

I crossed the land border at Sadao 10 days ago and the I/O spent a long time going through the passport. After a while he asked me where I was going and why, told him visiting friends, learning more Thai and staying around 10 days. Only thing he said was need to make new passport next time because very little space in old one (trying to milk every bit of space from it before I shell out for renewal 5555). Then he just said welcome back to Thailand.

Like a few others I was concerned that this clampdown might impact on me and I still consider myself to be a legit tourist, albeit frequent. Albeit it's just one experience it does seem that they are targeting just out/in and those considered to be abusing the system. Maybe the fact that I cross from Malaysia helps, and they can see I have a Malaysian 10 year resident type visa (called a long term social visit pass), and that I do spend most of my time there, getting a legit visa when I stay longer.

So I suppose it will depend where you enter from and what your profile is. But those concerned that genuine frequent travellers will be impacted may not have need for concern.

I'm in a position to make a non-imm o visa as and when I've found somewhere I'd be happy to stay and split my time between Malaysia and Thailand but at the moment it'd be the wrong visa IMO. It may make things easier if the exempt situation becomes more difficult but I see no point in getting a non o when I spend 70-80% of time out of Thailand. Hopefully they will appreciate that some people can still be legit tourists despite wanting and being able to come often. Indeed, many Malaysians cross the border to Dannok for 2-3 days every 2 weeks on exempt stamps. Being forced to go the non o route now would really be forcing the inappropriate use of a visa IMO.

Edited by Pick of Penang

FWIW I am a UK national but live in Malaysia and visit Thailand often, like every month, always on Exempt stamps and mostly stay for 5-10 days, but recently had a 30 day stay. Last year I had a tourist visa that was extended 30 days while I studied Thai. My passport is almost full, mostly of Thai entry / exit stamps. I drive in most times but have flown when visiting friends in Phuket, but even now I prefer to drive to Dannok and coach across. More flexible.

I crossed the land border at Sadao 10 days ago and the I/O spent a long time going through the passport. After a while he asked me where I was going and why, told him visiting friends, learning more Thai and staying around 10 days. Only thing he said was need to make new passport next time because very little space in old one (trying to milk every bit of space from it before I shell out for renewal 5555). Then he just said welcome back to Thailand.

Like a few others I was concerned that this clampdown might impact on me and I still consider myself to be a legit tourist, albeit frequent. Albeit it's just one experience it does seem that they are targeting just out/in and those considered to be abusing the system. Maybe the fact that I cross from Malaysia helps, and they can see I have a Malaysian 10 year resident type visa (called a long term social visit pass), and that I do spend most of my time there, getting a legit visa when I stay longer.

So I suppose it will depend where you enter from and what your profile is. But those concerned that genuine frequent travellers will be impacted may not have need for concern.

I'm in a position to make a non-imm o visa as and when I've found somewhere I'd be happy to stay and split my time between Malaysia and Thailand but at the moment it'd be the wrong visa IMO. It may make things easier if the exempt situation becomes more difficult but I see no point in getting a non o when I spend 70-80% of time out of Thailand. Hopefully they will appreciate that some people can still be legit tourists despite wanting and being able to come often. Indeed, many Malaysians cross the border to Dannok for 2-3 days every 2 weeks on exempt stamps. Being forced to go the non o route now would really be forcing the inappropriate use of a visa IMO.

I would actually think driving across the border would be your best bet because as you would be driving a Malaysian car across, immigration would naturally assume you reside in Malaysia (without even looking at your passport) and assume you are leaving soon, as that's what all tourists/business people who drive cars from neighboring countries into Thailand do - they enter for a short time then leave again. Their cars are also only allowed temporary admission, usually 30 days.

I have just crossed back from Had Lek at the Thai-Cambodian border. The same official who stamped me in on 11 Jun also stamped me out less than two weeks later and then stamped me in again a couple of days ago. His memory must be poor as he couldn't seem to remember me on the two subsequent visits, but he did ask me a few questions, like where I'm going, what I'll be doing and happily stamped me back in. Immigration officers in Thailand these days are finally learning how to speak with foreign travelers (at least that's the directive they've been given) whereas previously they were mostly surly, quickly stamped your passport and let you in or let you leave. As you say I think many people are becoming more worked up than they should be.

I continue to hear unusual stories though, including about how a group of Filipino teachers on non-B visas with work permits (apparently) were arrested at the Nong Khai border while trying to leave Thailand, just one day before their visas expired. They were heading to Vientiane to obtain new non-Bs for the same school. Apparently a couple of Germans and one other nationality were also in the mix, but most were Filipino. They spent a couple of nights in IDC before their embassies could bail them out. Sounds like a fishy story to me but you hear a lot in light of the current situation.

Confirmation , visa run today at Ban parakat in our group from 7 farang 1 refused 15 days and given 7 days because already 2 back to backs 15 days .... so beware no visa holders, myself Non O , no remarks no questions .

Seems they take it serious , and that shall not become better after 2 august ..with further rules

My wife just came back from Bangkok immigration , they told her she can't get a non O so she can piggy back on my retirement visa . The reason given is that I don't have a work permit . She is 41 and not old enough for the retirement visa and is from Myanmar . They said I should go to the USA embassy but didn't tell me why . Have income and 800, 000 + baht here in Kbank .

Does anyone have a retirement visa with a foreign wife here on their retirement visa ? I always thought a retirement visa was better than a work permit .facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

My wife just came back from Bangkok immigration , they told her she can't get a non O so she can piggy back on my retirement visa . The reason given is that I don't have a work permit . She is 41 and not old enough for the retirement visa and is from Myanmar . They said I should go to the USA embassy but didn't tell me why . Have income and 800, 000 + baht here in Kbank .

Does anyone have a retirement visa with a foreign wife here on their retirement visa ? I always thought a retirement visa was better than a work permit .facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Do you have an extension of stay you got from immigration. Or a visa (OA possibly) of some kind that you got from an embassy or consulate..

She can only get a dependent extension if you have an extension from immigration. If you do have an extension she would first need a non-o visa obtained from an embassy or consulate.

Ranong FYI

I had not been following the immigration situation much - my bad!

Today I went to the Andaman Club Pier in Ranong to do a visa run - second entry on a triple entry tourist visa and was surprised when they insisted I produce an airline ticket out of the country. I said I was traveling with no set schedule and to Malaysia as well - hence the multiple entry visa issued in the USA, but they seemed determined. I had been here before on a 3 year education visa that ended Sept of last year, but to the states and elsewhere in interim. I now know I am pushing my luck, trying to hold on until I am 50 to get my retirement visa. I'd sure hate to be kicked out for 5 years when I am so close to 50.

Anyway, random babbling from an old gal who just wanted to pass on a heads up about Ranong. Ultimately I gave up and drove over to the other pier. They at least understood my travel plans were not set with an outbound ticket yet, but still had me write up an itinerary, sign it... I am scared to even try to use my third entry if I veer off what they had me write. On my return they strip searched my camera bag as well.

BTW: I am legitimately retired - just not 50 years old yet - and not taking anyone's job. Work holds no interest for me.

Edited by NolaK

Ranong FYI

I had not been following the immigration situation much - my bad!

Today I went to the Andaman Club Pier in Ranong to do a visa run - second entry on a triple entry tourist visa and was surprised when they insisted I produce an airline ticket out of the country. I said I was traveling with no set schedule and to Malaysia as well - hence the multiple entry visa issued in the USA, but they seemed determined. I had been here before on a 3 year education visa that ended Sept of last year, but to the states and elsewhere in interim. I now know I am pushing my luck, trying to hold on until I am 50 to get my retirement visa. I'd sure hate to be kicked out for 5 years when I am so close to 50.

Anyway, random babbling from an old gal who just wanted to pass on a heads up about Ranong. Ultimately I gave up and drove over to the other pier. They at least understood my travel plans were not set with an outbound ticket yet, but still had me write up an itinerary, sign it... I am scared to even try to use my third entry if I veer off what they had me write. On my return they strip searched my camera bag as well.

BTW: I am legitimately retired - just not 50 years old yet - and not taking anyone's job. Work holds no interest for me.

It's a Ranong only thing, actually not written in any law or regulation ever.

Some other borders are doing differently but to the same effect -make it hard even for those that have a visa-, e.g not allowing to cross without a Myanmar visa, wanting to see cash, etc. And other borders again are not doing anything different than ever. For sure Thailand is a country that leave ample room to each Immigration local commander initiative.

Edited by paz

• 2 months later...

Not sure where to post this so will put it in here:

I did do my 3rd back to back border crossing last saturday on Hat lek.

I have couple tourist visa's on my passport and 30 day extend each of them. 2 land crossing stamps with 60 days extend.

Departed:

They did use more time than normally and they did want to know how long will I stay in Cambodia, I answered just 1 day. They also asked do I have family in Thailand and I did answer yes (because I have) then they did again use more time to look my passport. Then another officer did come to me and say that I need to get visa if I wanted to stay in thailand longer time and my answer was, yes and that's why I'm flying on next tuesday to Lao to do visa (what I'm not planing to do on this point but on future yes...) No questions about fly ticket just little talk about Lao etc.

Cambodia they did try to get extra 300BHT from visa Total 1300BHT because going back to Thailand on same day what I refused to pay and no questions asked.

Arrived:

After stamping on Cambodia and arriving back to Thailand no questions asked just stamped my passport with 14 days stamp.

I did do 4th back to back border run couple weeks go and e60 day family xtension on weekend. Nothing have change vs pre Junta.