The Best Steak

MissAnge

I am looking for a nice place for dinner where I can get a great steak! I don't really want to go to an English pub style place, prefer a nicer restaraunt... want to take my boyf for his 30th bday, and it's the only farang food that he'll go for!

(we're in bangkok by the way.... any suggestions welcome!)

Neils Tavern (not English Pub type place but very nice restaurant with attentive service) has set the standard for non hotel steak in Bangkok for 35 years and believe is still considered the best place outside of a hotel setting. For hotels people have had good words for JW Marriott.

Last night i took the missus to a French Resturant called Indigo. It's opposit The Irish Exchange Pub in Convent Road. We shared the prime rib for 2, with spuds and 2 sauces... was excellent.

I found the resturant in a book called "where to eat in bangkok", which is published every 2 months, sold in most book stores for 80baht.

This is what the book says about this perticular resturant...

An authentic French brassiere housed in a charmingly restored house seductively located on a small soi near Silom Road.

We did pig out, both had seafood starters, lobster soup and salmon with potato saled, 2 glasses of wine and the mian. Cost just short of 3k baht, exspensive but was a real treat.

If this is out of your budget, PM me and I'll give you a few other suggestions, otherwise, I highly recomend buying the book!

Have a great time!

Hi there Listenup, it seems that he might have to have a couple of birthday dinners!

i will keep an eye out for that book, sounds great.... (if only i didn't have to wait for birthdays to get my bloke to go out for a nice dinner with me! he says that there is nothing more romantic than sen lek naam for 20 baht!)

Last night i took the missus to a French Resturant called Indigo. It's opposit The Irish Exchange Pub in Convent Road. We shared the prime rib for 2, with spuds and 2 sauces... was excellent.

I found the resturant in a book called "where to eat in bangkok", which is published every 2 months, sold in most book stores for 80baht.

An authentic French brassiere housed in a charmingly restored house seductively located on a small soi near Silom Road.

We did pig out, both had seafood starters, lobster soup and salmon with potato saled, 2 glasses of wine and the mian. Cost just short of 3k baht, exspensive but was a real treat.

If this is out of your budget, PM me and I'll give you a few other suggestions, otherwise, I highly recomend buying the book!

Have a great time!

you don't say where you're from...if you are from the US does the prime rib compare favorably?

Have a great time!

you don't say where you're from...if you are from the US does the prime rib compare favorably?

I'm from the UK. Prime rib was good, but can get better at home for sure. Not sure if the Thai's understand the importance of hanging etc.

Outback Steakhouse Siam but bit pricey. Cheaper to fly to Brisbane and have a good steak there. Well almost :o

I've often wondered about this place, just how pricey is it? What would you think the bill would hit for 2 small starters and 2 steak dinners (who am I kidding, 2 desserts as well! :D )

I am looking for a nice place for dinner where I can get a great steak! I don't really want to go to an English pub style place, prefer a nicer restaraunt... want to take my boyf for his 30th bday, and it's the only farang food that he'll go for!

(we're in bangkok by the way.... any suggestions welcome!)

The "Prime" at the Hilton has great steaks:

This topic has been discussed a couple of weeks ago....make a search for the best steak in bangkok or somthing like that...didn't know that there are so many recommendable places.

btw...my favourite is still the Fogo Vivo in the Interconti. Great Steaks and very nice ambience!

New Yorker @ The JW Marriott in Sukhumvit Soi2.

Must be the biggest and freshest steak around.

Never liked Neil's Tavern,so artificial.

Definitely New York Steakhouse would be #1 in bangkok if your budget isn't limited. I have enjoyed this restaurant many times and its consistently good.

Madison in the Four Seasons would come a close 2nd and not as expensive as New York Steakhouse either.

Both have fantastic wine lists.

Outback Steakhouse Siam but bit pricey. Cheaper to fly to Brisbane and have a good steak there. Well almost :o

I've often wondered about this place, just how pricey is it? What would you think the bill would hit for 2 small starters and 2 steak dinners (who am I kidding, 2 desserts as well! :D )

2000-2500 for 2 without alcohol. Special happy hours include 500ml draught beer for 135 baht. I think the prices are mid-range, you'll see a lot of families in there.

If you want a comprehensive guide to eating out in bangkok, Thailand tatler magazine publishes one on an annual basis, comparing restaurants of all qualities in all locations and with prices from 500 baht/person to 5000+ baht/person, there is something for everyone. I have recently bought a copy of their 2006 edition and from my experiences so far its quite accurate.

New Yorker @ The JW Marriott in Sukhumvit Soi2.

Must be the biggest and freshest steak around.

Never liked Neil's Tavern,so artificial.

Definitely New York Steakhouse would be #1 in bangkok if your budget isn't limited. I have enjoyed this restaurant many times and its consistently good.

Madison in the Four Seasons would come a close 2nd and not as expensive as New York Steakhouse either.

Both have fantastic wine lists.

The chef from the steakhouse at J.W. Mariott is now at Prime in the Hilton.

Well this one is bugging me. I am not a big fan of steak but there is a place on the east side there half way between the Don Muang Airport and Future park shopping mall. Has a cow infront. The steaks there were pretty good. Now if only I could recall the name :o

Well this one is bugging me. I am not a big fan of steak but there is a place on the east side there half way between the Don Muang Airport and Future park shopping mall. Has a cow infront. The steaks there were pretty good. Now if only I could recall the name :o

Chokechai Steakhouse; the main branch is near Mualek. Personally I have always found their local steaks to be cut too thin for proper cooking.

I have never tried their Imported steaks however.

Patrick

Have a great time!

I'm from the UK. Prime rib was good, but can get better at home for sure. Not sure if the Thai's understand the importance of hanging etc.

Wouldn't hanging for a long time in this climate equate to too much bacteria?

Have a great time!

Wouldn't hanging for a long time in this climate equate to too much bacteria?

Hanging in a cooler meadish. :o

Hanging refers to aging and is done under controlled climate conditions. The humidity and temperature are regulated. It can be done as easily in Thailand as anywhere else. 30 years ago a lot of prime rib was dry aged, that is hung in a cooler at approximately 38 degrees Fahrenheit for 28 to 32 days. This procedure accounted for about 15% loss of weight due to moisture loss. Now most aged prime rib is aged in plastic wrap to avoid the weight loss. Prime rib that is less than 30 days old is inedible.

If you want the long explanation when an animal is killed under good circumstances (bad circumstances produce an odd PH factor that makes the beef only fit for sale at a grocery store, they call it red box beef) rigor mortis sets in almost immediately and it becomes tough and hard. The natural enzymes (rotting factor) in the meat after death begin to tenderize it and after about 30 days at between 38 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit it is ready to eat. More than that and you begin to smell a rotting smell when it is cooked and eaten.

Chokechai Steakhouse; the main branch is near Mualek. Personally I have always found their local steaks to be cut too thin for proper cooking.

Patrick

Thank you Sir :D

Hanging refers to aging and is done under controlled climate conditions. The humidity and temperature are regulated. It can be done as easily in Thailand as anywhere else. 30 years ago a lot of prime rib was dry aged, that is hung in a cooler at approximately 38 degrees Fahrenheit for 28 to 32 days. This procedure accounted for about 15% loss of weight due to moisture loss. Now most aged prime rib is aged in plastic wrap to avoid the weight loss. Prime rib that is less than 30 days old is inedible.

If you want the long explanation when an animal is killed under good circumstances (bad circumstances produce an odd PH factor that makes the beef only fit for sale at a grocery store, they call it red box beef) rigor mortis sets in almost immediately and it becomes tough and hard. The natural enzymes (rotting factor) in the meat after death begin to tenderize it and after about 30 days at between 38 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit it is ready to eat. More than that and you begin to smell a rotting smell when it is cooked and eaten.

whatever the technical details I'm talking about meat roasted very rare and that can be cut with a fork...I don't like beef much but a good prime rib I'd pay generously for...

either that or a sebben elebben hotdog...doan' even got to use forks on dose muthahs...

The closest you are going to get although I think it is only USDA choice is http://www.lawrysonline.com/theprimerib_in...al_gen_info.asp

Unless you want to have the prime rib shipped from the states. In that case you can try Buckhead beef in Atlanta which is owned by Sysco. They will dry age a prime rib given 45 days notice. I would imagine you could have it air freighted to Bangkok.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Minburi' post='786819' date='2006-06

Patrick

Chokchai steaks are ok and cheap by comparison, but as said they are cut too thin really which seems a shame. Bonus is you could take your own bottle of whisky there ....

Also recommend the Outback in Siam Discovery..... good thick, tasty and if you order rare it comes rare.... not as fancy as some but it was definitely a good steak.

coops

• 4 weeks later...

The best steaks in Thailand, by far, is Fireplace Grill over by Gaysorn in the basement of the Holiday Inn. Puts the Marriott NY steakhouse to shame.

Chokchai - should be ashamed of themselves for even being labeled as a steakhouse, utter disgrace.

A good USDA or Aussie tenderloin at Fireplace will cost you about 1600-1800 bht.

Edited by mobiryder

Don't think I'm being patriotik please,as I am a friend of his, but I think the best t bone I have eaten in Thailand is at the Farang Connection in Surin. A 500gm Charoloi t bonesteak, with salad starter, garlic bread, glass of red wine is only 550 baht. Look out for the 250gm Argentinian Sirloin as well at 350 baht. I believe most of the steaks there come from Yorkies in Pattaya.

Don't think I'm being patriotik please,as I am a friend of his, but I think the best t bone I have eaten in Thailand is at the Farang Connection in Surin. A 500gm Charoloi t bonesteak, with salad starter, garlic bread, glass of red wine is only 550 baht. Look out for the 250gm Argentinian Sirloin as well at 350 baht. I believe most of the steaks there come from Yorkies in Pattaya.

Hi Jarno........................................not seen you for a bit. How do you know I have not changed my supplier? No, you're right of course. Our T-bones ( and the rest except Argentine) come from Yorkies. Argentine steaks come from Belucky. Looking at the price of steaks in BKK I might have to hoik my prices up a bit, although at the moment 350 for a steak is far to much for my locals. They know a little Thai place in town where you can get shoe leather for only 70 baht a throw.