Fishing Tackle in Thailand

Muli

I am new in this forum because I move to Chiang Mai for two years in July.

Do I have to move my whole freshwater fishing tackle from Europe or can I get all this stuff there? If so is there something I should bring with? Are the stores comparable to Europe or US?

Is there anything else I have to consider?

I brought my fishing gear from Canada but now I buy every thing in Thailand .

One of my best friends in Thailand owns the biggest fishing stores and distributor in Thailand .

Chances are if you buy fishing gear in Thailand he was the main distributer

His main store is in nontaburi and is massive anything you can think of . His store is as big as any I have seen in the USA or Canada

He distributes all the brands we can get in Canada Europe USA and at a better price .

He has taken me fishing and what a experience he is a avid fisherman to.

Unbelievable fishing experiences with him

Bring your Euro fly fishing gear. You can scrounge some fly gear here, but not any kind of selection.

If you use PVA bags, bring a lifetime supply. Also, if you use a weighing sack and a sheet to keep your fish from damage while you're handling them- bring it.

If you're addicted to a specific brand (Shimano, Daiwa, Penn, Abu) , it will probably cost significantly more here, but generally available. I have migrated away from most of the brands as others are offering great stuff a lot cheaper if you're careful.

Everything else, I buy here.

One of my best friends in Thailand owns the biggest fishing stores and distributor in Thailand .

His main store is in nontaburi and is massive anything you can think of . His store is as big as any I have seen in the USA or Canada

He distributes all the brands we can get in Canada Europe USA and at a better price .

Could you PM me his contact information please, including website if he has one. I am looking for a good supplier and found Seven Seas in BKK to be lacking staff with any personal experience or even minimal English skills. They also seemed to be out of stock on most items I was interested in. I live in Chumphon area and there is not much here to speak of either. Thanks!

Hi William,

Where exactly is the store in Nontaburi, if you don't mind me asking. I'm always up for a new place to browse, and I haven't been to any shops over that way at all.

Thanks,

steve

A lot of things are advertised on Thai web sites but when you order they never seem to have it.

Fishing in Chiang Mai is very unique and you will need gear like the Bait Runner to properly fish. This is because of the unique locking drag that it has. Good raided line is hard to find.

I am not here to get him business but I will get the English spelling of his location and from maps to and PM thiose who want it

I know he distributes to many stores every were in Thailand Even the north and south.

Most of his staf do not know English but the store is big with a massive selection with prices to

Fishing in Chiang Mai is very unique and you will need gear like the Bait Runner to properly fish. This is because of the unique locking drag that it has. Good raided line is hard to find.

What is the unique item in Chiang Mai

If you are fishing for the big ones that can range from 20-60 kg then you have to be prepared. Further with Baitrunner reels you don't have to hold the rod all the time.

where do you fish the big ones?

Are there only fishing parks or is it possible to fish in the wilderness?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In Chiang Rai at Doi Hang Fishing Park, saloon and grill we have a reasonable amount of gear. We are planning to expand what we have.

For sure you need the bait runner to handle the big ones.

Here in bkk many of the anglers going for the big ones have given up on bait runners and moved on to accurate or jigging master since a few years.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In Chiang Rai at Doi Hang Fishing Park, saloon and grill we have a reasonable amount of gear. We are planning to expand what we have.

For sure you need the bait runner to handle the big ones.

bait runners have been about for years in the uk for carp fishing, chuck out and wait,

but i wouldnt say you needed them!

ive been a carp fisherman for years, and do have bait runners, but you can also buy a good sound large capacity reel and just slacken the front or rear clutch,

give you the same result, only plus with baitrunner is that when you pick the rod up and wind is disengages the baitrunner,

if you slacken the clutch you would have to re set it,

i brought all my carp and course fly gear with me, and if im ever on a job in the uk i bring tackle back with me, split shot PVA bags ect

We use the bait runner reels mostly in Bo Saeng, Chiang Rai fishing for the big fish. As you do not want to hold on the the rod all day the breaking system allows you to lay it down so when the fish hits you can grab the rod and set the hook. The record for this lake is 65 kg. I have caught one of the Mekong catfish that weighed 25 kg. Last year 3 of us fished for 3 days there and landed 984 kg. You have to release the fish. At my age this about did me in. Since then we just fish for 2 days per trip.

The water is too cold for productive fishing now and we have to wait until about the first of March before it starts up again. I can hardly get them to eat fish food.

At our fishing park in Chiang Rai the lakes are full of rods and reels. The Thais lay their rods down and a big pla suwai hits the bait and puts into orbit. Can't wait until I drain the next time to open a second hand tackle store.

• 5 months later...

A lot of things are advertised on Thai web sites but when you order they never seem to have it.

Don, with due respect you are making a rather sweeping statement for someone who is relatively new to bait runner reels and Bo Sang fishing lake. A bait runner type reel is not an essential piece of kit for Bo Sang, or indeed anywhere else. However, it is certainly useful in some situations.

I have fished Bo Sang on numerous occasions and have never used a bait runner reel. Neither, have I had my rod and reel pulled into the lake by a fish. You, using your bait runner reel can’t claim the same as I recall. And you are not alone. These reels need to be set at the correct tension for this not to happen.

Let me further enlighten you, the term bait-runner was first used by Shimano in 1987 so they have been around in the UK and Europe for a very long time and strictly speaking it is a Shimano brand name. These types of reels are in effect, free runner reels, and the technology was developed by Shimano. Basically the free runner facility is a second clutch allowing the user to set the reel in free spool with adjustable drag pressure depending on what you are using it for. Moving the winder handle or knocking the set lever off puts the reel back into gear.

Archived