Driving a small Thai motorcycle or scooter into Cambodia

Folks, I have to travelled over the Koh Kong border crossing on my motorcycle earlier this year with any issues. But would like to travel again with my Thai bike into Cambodia, but this time at the Prum crossing.

Does this border crossing allow motorcycles to cross once again, as it was reported that in June that all vehicles had been restricted from crossing the border?

With regards to Thai motorcycle and cars being allowed into Cambodia. Motorcycles can legally be driven throughout Cambodia. Whereas it is my understanding that the Thai cars CANNOT. Thai cars can be given a local permit in Koh Kong to drive in and around the town. The reasoning behind not permitting Thai cars to travel throughout Cambodia stems from the difference of righthand and lefthand drive differs. Obviously, no such problem with motorcycles...

I live close to the Prum border, so will check if vehicles are once again allowed to cross the border, but if somebody has done this crossing by bike recently please let me know?

Nope, that's not the reason. I now know why Thai vehicles are not supposed to leave the border areas. This is because there is no official agreement between Thailand and Cambodia on cross-border movement of private vehicles.

There is an official agreement only for commercial vehicles and there are some restrictions imposed there too as I have previously mentioned:

The agreement was implemented around 2012 I believe and allows for a quota, which at the time was 40 Cambodian trucks and buses and 40 Thai trucks and buses to enter each other's country every day. I'm not sure if the quota has since been increased, but even if it hasn't it probably hasn't been filled anyway.

The breakdown is as follows: of the 40 Cambodian commercial vehicles allowed to cross daily, 30 buses and 10 trucks may cross. For the Thais, it's the opposite (likely due to the greater importance on trade compared to tourism for the Thais) which is 10 buses and 30 trucks.

These buses and trucks all cross the main Aranyaprathet (Sa Kaeo)-Poipet crossing. I believe this may be the only crossing they are allowed to cross. Buses operate only on the Bangkok-Siem Reap and Bangkok-Phnom Penh routes. Trucks are permitted to drive as far as Phnom Penh. Thai and Cambodian buses operate the two routes on alternate days, meaning one day Thai buses are used for all 3 departures they have on these 2 routes daily and the next day Cambodian buses do the route. As far as trucks are concerned, I've never seen even one Cambodian truck inside Thailand but Thai trucks definitely head into Cambodia daily; I've now seen numerous ones plying the Poipet-Phnom Penh sector.

In practice the quota hasn't likely come even close to being filled, because at most 3 Thai or Cambodian buses cross between each other's country in each direction daily, since the the return journey on the same day will be made by a bus registered in the other country.

I can also confirm that since there is no agreement for private vehicles, this means that motorcycles are also officially NOT allowed to travel beyond the border province, nothing to do with the side of the steering wheel on a car, which obviously doesn't apply to motorcycles or anything like that. I have also been told at the Koh Kong border that my Thai motorcycle can only travel in and out of Cambodia the same way it came and can't leave Koh Kong province, so there you go.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Any update about entering Cambodia with Thai registered motorbike?

What documents needed?

Only green book, driver licence and passport?

Also I want to continue to Laos from Cambodia, would that be possible?

I need additional documents for that (except visa of course)?

Thanks!

Hello,

What documents needed?

Thanks!

OK, you can enter easily at Chong Chom/O'Smach or Had Lek (Khlong Yai)/Koh Kong (Cham Yeam). Cambodian customs might tell you not to leave the border province, just agree with that because once you're inside the country, no one checks and you won't have any problems.

Correct, you need the green book, your driver's licence (rarely checked, but certainly bring it anyway) and passport. Chong Chom might need photocopies of your motorcycle owner info and tax info pages, but you can always get these photocopies done at the border or nearby. Hat Lek no longer needs photocopies, they do everything electronically.

Cambodian visas on arrival are available for most nationalities at these borders. At the Lao/Cambodian crossing, Lao visas on arrival are also available for most nationalities. Similarly, most Thai/Lao crossings except Beung Kan/Paksan and Phu Doo offer VOA on the Lao side.

To enter Laos, you need a one page translation of your green book, available from the Land Transport Department in the province your motorcycle is registered in. This is called a "vehicle registration certificate" and is written in English. It costs 20 Baht and is valid for a year. The Lao side will ask for this instead of the purple book used for cars.

However, while riding a motorcycle into Laos is normally quite straightforward, you may be in for a disappointment if intending to go there in the near future. Apparently there has been a ban on the entry of motorcycles and bicycles enacted by the Lao government just in the last couple of days. There is some confusion as to whether it is being applied only at some border crossings, principally the Huay Kon (Nan province)/Muang Ngern (Saiyabuli) border where a couple of Thai riders have recently been refused, although there are reports it is being implemented nationwide. Apparently this policy will last until an official announcement is made by the Lao government. Note that motorcycles are not covered by the Thai-Lao cross border agreement and in the past, this crossing (as well as some others) have randomly refused entry to riders.

Check out the Facebook group below, or www.rideasia.net for more details.

https://www.facebook.com/indochina.trails/posts/951308715013233

Hello,

What documents needed?

Thanks!

OK, you can enter easily at Chong Chom/O'Smach or Had Lek (Khlong Yai)/Koh Kong (Cham Yeam). Cambodian customs might tell you not to leave the border province, just agree with that because once you're inside the country, no one checks and you won't have any problems.

Correct, you need the green book, your driver's licence (rarely checked, but certainly bring it anyway) and passport. Chong Chom might need photocopies of your motorcycle owner info and tax info pages, but you can always get these photocopies done at the border or nearby. Hat Lek no longer needs photocopies, they do everything electronically.

Cambodian visas on arrival are available for most nationalities at these borders. At the Lao/Cambodian crossing, Lao visas on arrival are also available for most nationalities. Similarly, most Thai/Lao crossings except Beung Kan/Paksan and Phu Doo offer VOA on the Lao side.

To enter Laos, you need a one page translation of your green book, available from the Land Transport Department in the province your motorcycle is registered in. This is called a "vehicle registration certificate" and is written in English. It costs 20 Baht and is valid for a year. The Lao side will ask for this instead of the purple book used for cars.

However, while riding a motorcycle into Laos is normally quite straightforward, you may be in for a disappointment if intending to go there in the near future. Apparently there has been a ban on the entry of motorcycles and bicycles enacted by the Lao government just in the last couple of days. There is some confusion as to whether it is being applied only at some border crossings, principally the Huay Kon (Nan province)/Muang Ngern (Saiyabuli) border where a couple of Thai riders have recently been refused, although there are reports it is being implemented nationwide. Apparently this policy will last until an official announcement is made by the Lao government. Note that motorcycles are not covered by the Thai-Lao cross border agreement and in the past, this crossing (as well as some others) have randomly refused entry to riders.

Great information, thanks!

Hello,

What documents needed?

Thanks!

Great information, thanks!

The latest word that I have received is that from now on, motorcycles entering Laos from any border will need to go through a travel agency. This means you need to make arrangements in advance, reportedly at least 30 days ahead of arrival. The cost is actually not too bad.

Thanks PhuketRichard. Much of the information I used came from that page and others linked to it. Seems like they are only enforcing rules at the Saiyabuli crossings. As usual, commie governments make life difficult by randomly changing the rules but not announcing them, confusing everyone and then a day later suddenly it's only at a few crossings.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone

Im dickie from Malaysia. I was plan for my trip from Malaysia to Thailand - Cambodia - Laos - Thailand - Malaysia with my 300cc modern vespa. Mostly i saw you guy is riding thailand bike. So im wondering, any problem if i ride malaysia bike?

I hope you guy can give me some tips for this road trip.

thank you

best regards

dickie

• 3 months later...

Reading this thread because I had thoughts of moving to Pattaya. The Visa situation is a pain there so I was thinking of splitting my time between pattaya and Cambodia. 

Would it be possible to buy a motorcycle in Thailand and drive it into Cambodia several times a year? Probably the koh khong border crossing. Would probably stay a few weeks at a time. 

If anyone does this let me know. Thanks

no problem BUT keep in mind u need make it sour light does not stay on.

Max u can keep out of  Thailand is 30days on tempxport

What about insurance? ur thai insurance is no good in Cambodia nor is ur thai license and having thai plates is another reason for the khmer cops to hassle u

3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

no problem BUT keep in mind u need make it sour light does not stay on.

Max u can keep out of  Thailand is 30days on tempxport

What about insurance? ur thai insurance is no good in Cambodia nor is ur thai license and having thai plates is another reason for the khmer cops to hassle u

Well im getting ahead of myself here because I have no Thai license at the moment. I am only eligible for tourist visas or exemptions right now. 

Can I buy a bike and get a license with that? Off to google I go...

I lived in thailand before but always rented bikes. Maybe it's better to base myself in Cambodia but from what I understand you can't ride cambo bikes into Thailand. That's no fun. 

12 hours ago, CLW said:

Thailand to Cambodia no problem. Your Thai driver licence is valid. Crossed Aranyaprathet, continue to Laos. Everything smooth. Going back to Thailand at Pakse - Ubon border.

your thai license is NOT accepted- even a 5 year one  ( even thou on the books they say it is) in Cambodia

PLUS u have no insurance for ur thai bike

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

your thai license is NOT accepted- even a 5 year one  ( even thou on the books they say it is) in Cambodia

PLUS u have no insurance for ur thai bike

I read that all ASEAN licenses are recognized throughout ASEAN. I guess you're saying the cops in Cambodia don't care and they want their tea money when they stop you. 

All ASEAN licenses are NOT accepted throughout ASEAN if by accepted you mean being to able to drive with it andn to needing a local license.

It may be the case that they are accepted in the sense that other countries will issue a local license without a driving test based on it. I know that my Cambodian acquaintances have been  able to get a Thai driver's license based on his Cambodian license (no driving or written test, just the vision tests) but could not drive legally in Thailand with only the Cambodian license.

I read that all ASEAN licenses are recognized throughout ASEAN. I guess you're saying the cops in Cambodia don't care and they want their tea money when they stop you. 

Correct.
I have the same information from the Thai department of Land transportation.
Got stopped in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.
Paid no tea money to the cops.

Thai Dept of Land Transportation unequivocally told me that Cambodian DLs are not valid for driving in Thailand. And friends inquiring in other parts of the country were told the same.

Perhaps there is some special "ASEAN licence" issued in some countries? Though the last I heard, the ASEAN countries had yet to agree to such a thing

http://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Economy/Economy/license

Cannot drive in Thailand with a Cambodian license that is in English.

But can get a Thai license issued based on that without driving or written test...but have to do that, can't just use the Camb license.

If it is not in English (as those issued some years back ate not) then cannot get a reciprocal Thai license, would have to go through same process as if no license.

In either case must get a Thai license.

Can I bring a Cambodia plated motorcycle into Thailand? 

Just trying to work out the logistics of splitting my time between Thailand and Cambodia. I would like to base myself in Cambodia due to the easy visa situation and then visit Thailand as much as possible. 

I guess I could bus it but what's the fun in that?!

• 1 year later...
On 5/19/2014 at 9:44 AM, phuketrichard said:

no problem,

make sure u have the motorcyle green book in your name to clear customs in Thailand.

going into Cambodia, they might charge you 100-500 baht but.... They let bikes in at Koh Kong, Poi Pet and Osmach

Few things;

your insurance is no good in Cambodia so be carefull, also YOU can not ride with your lights on in the daytime ( but you can ride without them at night)

If you go to Shv expect to be stopped and fined

reason you dont see lots on gt riders (many of whom are based in Northern Thailand ) is the roads are getting worse an worse in Cambodia an are heavliy travelled.

Even if u talk to guys that live there an ride, they are real carefull, On my travels i have seen a few Thai bikes but not many.

Laos is heaven for a motoryclist compared to Cambodia thumbsup.gif

So quick question... I have a Thai registered (in my name) Lifan 200cc enduro bike. Was thinking of doing a quick trip... only because it seems a fun idea... into Cambodia from here in Thailand. so here are my questions:

Need green book in my name... it is and I have. Do I need to go to Transport office for bike passport?

If I cover the headlight with something to shield light is that okay?

Insurance is arranged at the border (Cam side)?

Which crossing points do you recommend (stand by the ones you have already listed above)? Thinking one close to Siam Reap.

Many thanks.

So quick question... I have a Thai registered (in my name) Lifan 200cc enduro bike. Was thinking of doing a quick trip... only because it seems a fun idea... into Cambodia from here in Thailand. so here are my questions:

Need green book in my name... it is and I have. Do I need to go to Transport office for bike passport?

If I cover the headlight with something to shield light is that okay?

Insurance is arranged at the border (Cam side)?

Which crossing points do you recommend (stand by the ones you have already listed above)? Thinking one close to Siam Reap.

Many thanks.

I have done it two years ago with a 125cc Thai bike.
Yes, you need the green book and what you called bike passport. I can't remember the exact name of this document.
I drove from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet in one day and stayed overnight.
The next day border crossing at Poi Pet.
This border is an absolute mess.
Don't listen or trust anyone there.
Proceed straight to the Thai border control gate and tell them you want to cross to Cambodia.
They will process your temporary export documents for your motorcycle.
You need to have a few copies of your documents and maybe also a picture of you.
Then go straight to the Cambodia border under the bridge of the casino.
Right hand side you see the building for your visa on arrival and a little bit further a small shack where they stamp your visa and you get the immigration card.
I didn't mention anything about my motorbike though it was obvious because I was wearing full gear and had a helmet with me.
No one seemed to care about my motorcycle.
After stamping my visa I continued to Siem Reap.
Spent a few days in Cambodia and crossed further to Laos at the Don Det area / 4000 Islands.
This border was absolutely quiet.
They just finished a huge impressive customs building but almost no people there.
The customs officer first shocked me as he told me I can not cross the border.
Luckily he misunderstood that I came from the Laos side. In this case you need a permission from the Cambodian ministry of transport. He showed me two British BMW 1200Gs whose owners had to take a bus to Phnom Penh to get that document in person.
However, in my case crossing from TH to Cambodia and then Laos he said that's fine because there is some agreement.
Border crossing to Laos was also without any problems.
They were very friendly and not like their Cambodian counterparts who demanded often some dollars for stamps etc...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived