Who pays for Work Permit & Non-B?

Either, or.

That's something that should be mentioned when signing a contract. There's no law that the school has to pay for it. But considering your "low" salary, they should pay for it.

Ask them and you'll find out how welcome you really are. Good luck.

• Like 1

The details of who pays for what should be finalized before you sign a contract and be included in it.

It should be paid by the school, as it's a requirement to be a teacher.

Especially when making 15 K/month, as the OP had mentioned in another post

But my dog eats bones I don't.........

Either, or.

That's something that should be mentioned when signing a contract. There's no law that the school has to pay for it. But considering your "low" salary, they should pay for it.

That's right. However keeping in mind that, ultimately the employee has to take responsibity for his own immigration and labour status.

• Like 1

Some schools I worked for paid for all but overall seems rare. My last school paid for the work permit and the visa extension but I paid for the original visa which seemed fair as you should be on a non B or a non O to even be looking for work. Techinically it isn't usually allowed to look for work on a tourist visa.

But as others have said make sure that you finalize that before signing the contract.

I'm at my fourth school now. First paid for all, second when working for an agency, the agency paid for all. The third, in the beginning refused to pay, but a visit to the local temple must have changed their minds and then they did pay for both.

My school, where I've just recently started, doesn't have much experience with foreigners, but they pay me good money and I pay for both by myself. I'm making 5.5 K more money a month at this school, that I enables me to pay for both.

Might have to make another trip to the temple and talk to the monks and incoming ghosts, to change their minds. Time will show, but all in all, it should be paid by the school ,to show their appreciation to foreign teachers.

Cheers-wai2.gif

Mine pays for both the WP and the visa every year. As the money isn't very good, I made a point about it. I later found out some other teachers actually pay for their own. So, I guess it all depends on what you negotiate.

The details of who pays for what should be finalized before you sign a contract and be included in it.

For 15k a month he could probably get a Volunteer visa ;)

• Like 2

Our school always covers the cost of WP and extension as well, but it is my understanding that schools are not obligated to do so.

Same for me. I pay up front, hand in the receipts and get reimbursed for it. Nothing in the contract saying they are required to do so and don't think it is an absolute requirement by the schools, just policy.

Either, or.

That's right. However keeping in mind that, ultimately the employee has to take responsibity for his own immigration and labour status.

I've just recently changed schools. Took me a long time at my former school, that they finally paid for both.Now I'm making 5.5 K more/month and have to pay for it, but it's okay.

Better to pay for work permit and visa making decent money, than getting paid for it, but making shitty money in a shitty "World Shit Standard School" set up, with shitty colleagues, coming from a even more shittier country.

Excuse my language, might be in a shitty mode, it's Monday tomorrow. And I'm listening to shitty Eminem now.....

I apolgize for my Shitfullness.-thumbsup.gif

why don't you just get the shit out of a shitty country?? why stay ? this shit school as you claim makes your 'stay' here legal you shitty <deleted>. i know you don't want to leave the shitty country because you just love it so much

I understood the massage,as I've met his colleagues from a "even more shittier country" than Thailand.I blame shitty Eminem.-wai2.gif

A post with profanity has been removed along with replies. Here is the rule:

8) Do not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities or to incite useless arguments by avoiding troll activity.

Where I work, the employee is responsible to provide the visa for work and to assume all costs associated with getting the visa. The school will provide the paperwork. Once the visa has been obtained, the school pays for and takes care of the Work Permit and the provisional Teacher's License. If an employee gets a full TL, the employee must pay for that since it is their license. The provisional license covers the teacher working for one particular school.

The extension of stay in subsequent years is paid for by the school.

• Like 1

Either, or.

My previous school paid for my work permit, but when I was offered a job in another school, was granted another work permit and the school asked me to pay, I refused, so that was that.

My school pays for both. However many schools only pay WP.

I have heard an interesting one though, a friend of a friend had WP and Visa from a school - which had paid for both - she left country on holiday and forgot to get re-entry permit - she had to come back on visa exempt - they canned her.

My school pays for both. However many schools only pay WP.

I have heard an interesting one though, a friend of a friend had WP and Visa from a school - which had paid for both - she left country on holiday and forgot to get re-entry permit - she had to come back on visa exempt - they canned her.

Only two things are endless. Human stupidity and the universe. I'm not sure about the universe.

Albert Einstein

All right. Thanks for all the info.

I'm going to try my luck at getting the school to pay for my WP and Visa. Failing that - then just the WP.

Oh and thanks for the English lesson. I couldn't bear the thought of making that mistake again. ;-)

You must be joking ? Or is it 15k a week?

My agency will pay both.

I pay my own O visa happily though.

At 30-35k employer should pay both. I see it as a deal breaker. Must also do tje paperwork. If you must report, days not counted against you or they provide courier.

^^ no joke. Filipinos are paid Thai wages and NES were headed lower (than 30k). Maybe stabilizing due to politics and that it appears Thailand has depleted its seemingly endless source of 30k teachers.

I will not work for 30k

Then you have your start up costs and hidden expenses. If you did a tefl, amoritize that out at 3k a month. Some dodgy Directors force contributions, purchases, etc...mystery deductions.

Only a fool would come here to teach as a means of scraping a living

Thailand is for the 50 early retiree who has some cash or whatever to fall back on.

• 3 months later...

This morning, the Finance Dept. asked me to pay the 3,100 for the WP. (I had born all costs related to the B-Visa. That had been reimbursed in the past by a previous school as well).

The strange thing is, the school had paid for the WP. It was a complicated process, with the money being taken by the teacher who accompanied me weeks ago to the Labour Dept. to the lady in the finance Dept. who this morning asked for repayment.

The school lured me with a promise of a 12 months' contract. Now they won't pay for holidays and end the contract in March. What next?

Something tells me this is a common way of scamming foreign teachers. As a business expense, an employer gotta bear the cost IMHO. Hope someone knows the relevant Act. (The months without the WP, they also tried to deduct "750 B for SS". Yeah, right. That matched contribution (total: 1,500 Baht) wouldn't get matched nor would it be paid to the SS Administration. whistling.gif

"...they also tried to deduct "750 B for SS". Yeah, right. That matched contribution (total: 1,500 Baht) wouldn't get matched nor would it be paid to the SS Administration."

Easy enough to determine if the money is going to SS.

You will be given a SS card and told what hospital you are registered at. You don't get the card right away. After about a month, I think.

The SS offices I've had contact with have always been helpful.

If you have a doubt, ask them to check to see if you have been paying, They can do the check in the database in seconds.