Thai exceptionalism - a myth or reality?: Opinion

webfact

I also am American and learned about Japanese internment camps in history class...as much s*** as America has caused throughout its history a lot of it (not all) is taught in school and anyone receiving a good education will be aware of America's "Dirty Laundry." As for this piece, utter hogwash, brainwashed, "tow the party line" BS. Thais being "super friendly" as a whole towards foreigners might be something that a naive new comer will feel, but stay here even just a few years you will soon see that the smile is really a facade for a deep seated antipathy towards foreigners amongst many Thais. I can understand the "Thai exceptionalism" feeling amongst the populace though, if you indoctrinated from such a young age to believe you are the superior center of the world then of course you are going to feel that way..

as a good friend of mine says "Critical thinking and Foresight are not attributes that can really be pinned to Thai people"

• Like 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the article.

It does not make being exceptional mean being superior. Each Nation is exceptional in one way or another.

The problem arises when they take there exceptionalism to mean better than rather than just different.

this is one of the complete failings in the education system. They teach them that they are not different they are superior to others.

It ends up reading like a Ripleys tourist show.

And 80% of then utterly irrelevant. My home country has a lot of curiosities (as does everywhere), not sure they need to be taught in school.

Note Cambodia's exceptional possession. Some Thais think Angkor belongs to them. Lol.

Edited by Thai at Heart

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think I once read something similar, only that was about the Aryan race.

Joe Stalin tried a similar approach in schools, his photo was on every wall, etc.

let's not forget Mao, The Jong il dynasty, Nicolae Ceacescu...photo on every wall

• Like 1

Joe Stalin tried a similar approach in schools, his photo was on every wall, etc.

Kim Dong Il has the same.

I wonder where the idea came from and when it was instituted?

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

ppmacready, on 19 May 2014 - 09:02, said:ppmacready, on 19 May 2014 - 09:02, said:
Utley, on 19 May 2014 - 08:40, said:Utley, on 19 May 2014 - 08:40, said:

"Thailand is rare among developing countries in never having been colonised and is the only country in Southeast Asia with this unique status."

And this is significant..............why?

The reason why no one colonised Thailand is, nobody wanted too!

Colonised ..NO, but controlled by another nation yes and let's not forget, Thailand, as such, only existed in more recent history, it's not that long ago that most of Thailand existed as separate identities as well as larger areas of Burma, Lao and Cambodia, something many Thais do not know, why, because they are not taught their "true" cultural heritage.

Edited by Rorri

I'm a bit perplexed as to why the mods posted an article that deals with the monarchy. For all other posters, the topic is off limits - don't start nothing, there won't be nothing.

Edited by Jawnie

I have actually heard a few Thais claim that Ankor wat belonged to them...on what pretext....oh you know because Siam controlled Siem Reap and Battambang for 100 years before it was seceded to the French to become the Khmer territory it rightfully was

by the way, what has become of the conflict for Preah Vihear temple? have the Thais finally realized that they are fighting a losing battle on this one?

Edited by Smurkster

binjalin, on 19 May 2014 - 09:16, said:

what a BS article on Thai nationalism which teaches Thais from a young age they are superior in every way when, in fact, I can't think of any scientific, artistic, technological or medical world-class contributions from Thailand... and, no, Pattaya Walking Street doesn't count

Glad you said it, now you can wear the flak and I won't...well said and 100% true.

never seen so much nonsense combined into one article.

and that is also an achievement.

I wouldn't term all article as nonsense.

There is a feature of Thai life described which is reflected in reality. But described too little. It is about Thai women.

Long time back, when I came to Thailand I started noticing facts which I consider ominous:

- more female drivers on the roads than males;

- more female students at the Uni's than males;

- more female vendors, shop owners, attendants than males;

- if you need help with English/Thai translation 9 out of 10 cases a female is more helpful than a male;

... and this is in a Buddhist country!..

As to the rest of the article - it is an achievement in kalbo123 sense.

And, please, do not forget that EVERYTHING changes. Can't say more within the constrains of this post.

The OP is also forgetting one dominant feature of Thai Education: THOU MUST NOT QUESTION! In other words it is not Education - it is indoctrination! Brainwashing!

Thailand is a male dominated society that is run by women.

I think u may find that virtually all of these female CEOs are Thai Chinese, so probably better to look at the culture of the Thai Chinese family to understand why women are trusted to.run businesses.

Attributing this to Thai culture is ridiculous.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

binjalin, on 19 May 2014 - 09:16, said:

what a BS article on Thai nationalism which teaches Thais from a young age they are superior in every way when, in fact, I can't think of any scientific, artistic, technological or medical world-class contributions from Thailand... and, no, Pattaya Walking Street doesn't count

Glad you said it, now you can wear the flak and I won't...well said and 100% true.

I think one was actually nominated for a Nobel prize once, but as another poster said it was probably because they were "out standing in their field"cheesy.gif

• Like 1

"Thailand is rare among developing countries in never having been colonised and is the only country in Southeast Asia with this unique status."

It is extremely significant to the Thai mentality and is probably the single major factor in their feeling of superiority over their SE Asia neighbours

Here are a few links relating to the good professor.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cehd/jandris/2011/05/olpd-prof-gerald-fry-delivers-education-reform-message-for-thailand.html

http://www.minnpost.com/minnpost-asks/2010/05/thai-population-polarized-bangkok-violence-rages

http://ianmasters.com/sites/default/files/mp3/2013mp3/bbriefing_2013_11_25c_gerald%20fry.mp3

Prof. Fry has done enough to have interesting things to say, though as with other posters I don't agree with everything. What I couldn't really understand is why he hasn't updated his university webpage since 2009. Good topic for a thread though!

Hardly the same!!! Come-on!!!

Hardly the same!!! Come-on!!!

Every house and public office gets a picture. What's the difference. I am not going into why its there and who came up with the idea in Thailand because I know the reason.

I find it hard to believe that this piece was written by a man who has a Phd from Stanford in education. This must be why the USA is falling behind other countries, poor education.

FryG-2003.jpg

Gerald Fry

Professor

B.A. Stanford University
M.P.A. Princeton University
Ph.D., Stanford University

Org Leadership, Policy/Dev
410D Wulling Hall
86 Pleasant St S E
Tel: 612/624-0294
[email protected]

• Like 1

BillyBobThai, on 19 May 2014 - 12:27, said:

I find it hard to believe that this piece was written by a man who has a Phd from Stanford in education. This must be why the USA is falling behind other countries, poor education.

FryG-2003.jpg

Gerald Fry

Professor

B.A. Stanford University

410D Wulling Hall

86 Pleasant St S E

[email protected]

I put him in the same boat as a certain "Ed" from Phuket, both gone past their use by date, and need to be controversial so they can see their name published, both seem to live on past glory.

Sorry if the use of "past" opposed to "passed" upsets the grammar Nazis, but even the dictionaries seem confused.

I think u may find that virtually all of these female CEOs are Thai Chinese, so probably better to look at the culture of the Thai Chinese family to understand why women are trusted to.run businesses.

Attributing this to Thai culture is ridiculous.

Forget which newspaper it was, but remember reading a few years back a piece about women taking over most customer-facing jobs. Not sure if I should have ended that sentence with "as well" in terms of relating to your post, but the author's point was that 20 - 30 years ago if you stepped into a bank, most of the tellers and staff were men. Walk into any Thai bank today and almost all of the employees are women.

Whether you want to attribute it to Thai culture or not, the fact that female Thais are far more empowered, financially and otherwise, than they were even a decade or two ago is undeniable. Between 1997 and today, while the number of married couples in Thailand has remained relatively steady, the number of divorced couples has nearly doubled.

I have to disagree on your inclusion of artistic contributions from Thailand, The Thais use natural materials to create intricate basket designs, fish traps, hand bags, just to mention a few. Their ability to envision and create the first mobile home-the knock down classical Thai house. Their ability in pottery is a wide variety from small plant clay pots to huge water vessels. And last but not least the temples; the signature buildings of Thailand. They are artisans of the highest order!

Edited by Tonawatchee

It is extremely significant to the Thai mentality and is probably the single major factor in their feeling of superiority over their SE Asia neighbours

The fact that the head of the Ministry of Culture would say that the reason they shot down a proposal to make English the official second language of Thailand because "some people" might wrongly assume Thailand had once been a colonized says pretty much all that needs to be said in terms of how strongly this is implanted into the Thai psyche.

• Like 1

The only sentence of worth to be taken from this hagiography is this

Each AEC nation and its citizens can take pride in what makes them exceptional without feeling superior and becoming ultra-nationalist.

but not to be read in the way he envisaged.

Ultra nationalism is encouraged and worn as a badge of pride by certain political movements currently trying to oust the caretaker government. Remember the accusations of cambodian gunmen and illegal immigrants paid to attend UDD rallies? abhisits posturings over Preah Vihear that cost his subordinates freedom? The old PAD, the new PEFOT, Prayuth, the list goes on..............................

FryG-2003.jpg

Gerald Fry

Professor

B.A. Stanford University

410D Wulling Hall

86 Pleasant St S E

[email protected]

Maybe he understands something you don't? Usually the case when we don't understand something. Nay, always the case.

The only sentence of worth to be taken from this hagiography is this

Each AEC nation and its citizens can take pride in what makes them exceptional without feeling superior and becoming ultra-nationalist.

but not to be read in the way he envisaged.

Ultra nationalism is encouraged and worn as a badge of pride by certain political movements currently trying to oust the caretaker government. Remember the accusations of cambodian gunmen and illegal immigrants paid to attend UDD rallies? abhisits posturings over Preah Vihear that cost his subordinates freedom? The old PAD, the new PEFOT, Prayuth, the list goes on..............................

I think having one of the more suggestible, compliant and naive populations should be added to the list.

I have to disagree on your inclusion of artistic contributions from Thailand, The Thais use natural materials to create intricate basket designs, fish traps, hand bags, just to mention a few. Their ability in pottery is a wide variety from small plant clay pots to huge water vessels. And last but not least the temples; the signature buildings of Thailand. They are artisans of the highest order!

Not sure if you're joking but everything you mentioned is not originally from Thailand.

I have to disagree on your inclusion of artistic contributions from Thailand, The Thais use natural materials to create intricate basket designs, fish traps, hand bags, just to mention a few. Their ability in pottery is a wide variety from small plant clay pots to huge water vessels. And last but not least the temples; the signature buildings of Thailand. They are artisans of the highest order!

Not sure if you're joking but everything you mentioned is not originally from Thailand.

Next it will be that Thailand invented automobiles and they dominate the industry through their companies such as Toyota and Nissan.