Straw Bales

seedy

Straw bales certainly in Europe were made simply to stack in barns for food for cows, pigs,horses etc because it is simply too cold and wet to grow it all year round.

It could be that the factor here is cows, its not worth it to bring in a baling harvester for a few cows here and there.

Great idea though, the true eco house.

Would that be the type that you mesh up everywhere then apply mud as the wall finish.

Hope you don't smoke!

Would that be the type that you mesh up everywhere then apply mud as the wall finish.

Basically pour a slab, and have the rebar in the slab extend vertical from the slab about a meter. Place straw bales on rebar, around outside wall. Frame door and window openings with lumber. Cover with chicken wire, then plaster inside and outside.

Wall aprox 60cm thick, very vermin resistant. Plaster wall fire resistant.

I would use concrete posts outside a verandah circling the house, and support the roof with them. So the house walls just have to support themselves.

If you want to get fancy, use a string trimmer and round off the corners, build in a recess in the straw wall before plaster.

Basically pour a slab, and have the rebar in the slab extend vertical from the slab about a meter. Place straw bales on rebar, around outside wall. Frame door and window openings with lumber. Cover with chicken wire, then plaster inside and outside.

That is all wrong! Straw should never be in contact with the slab or it will get wet and be ruined. Not only that there needs to be a high stem wall below the first course. The rebar you speak of can also be a vapor source that causes condensation and rot. Chicken wire is not to be used on this wall system. You can slap it in if you want, but professional bale builders don't do this for good reasons. You seem very new to this method and I would suggest more research before you go this route.

There are several things to be especially concerned with when using strawbale in Thailand. First, you must take extra precautions against rot in the wet season and termites that will munch all the straw. Also keep in mind in order to have a durable outside plaster wall lime is needed. In Thailand, the correct type of lime for this application is not available anywhere which means each time a strong rain occurs your plaster protection will be eroded exposing the straw to rot.

Now the good side. Rice straw is considered a good quality straw to use. And strawbales are sold most places in rural Thailand; something like 30 baht a bale. In places like mine the locals just burn their rice straw in a heap because the terrain is too steep for baling machinery. So I made a hand baler to make my own bales for free.

post-63956-0-56443100-1400630022_thumb.j

• Like 1

That is all wrong!

Operative word 'Basically'

Just posted a quick down-and-dirty synopsis. Left out the plastic barrier on the slab, as well as many other things.

Thank you for your post.

They generally burn straw around here also and it is flat. We have three haystacks which is unusual, very good for mulch, not much good for cattle.

Let's see some pictures of your project please .

Edited by cooked

If you whant some straw bales,let me know I am in central lopburi ,some one wanted some in bkk last year I talked to a guy near me he said about 50-60 bart/ bale to send to bkk,transport cost,it will come on a pick up, about 200 bales.

I have seen a house near here make of mud type bricks,but I have my doubt's about straw,humidity, rats.

Also keep in mind in order to have a durable outside plaster wall lime is needed. In Thailand, the correct type of lime for this application is not available anywhere which means each time a strong rain occurs your plaster protection will be eroded exposing the straw to rot.

Found this lime supplier - Golden Lime Company Nonthaburi

Supply quick lime and hydrated lime