Danish woman robbed in Chiang Mai by European-looking man

webfact

What kind of European? Northern European or Southern European? Spanish look very different from the Germans..

You might as well just say "some bloke" robbed her of her money. biggrin.png

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Farang" is a Thai word that has no place in an English news headline. It looks amateur. Can Thai Visa just use "foreign/foreigner", or perhaps "Caucasian" if referring to a person of fair or light complexion? "European-looking man" is also very imprecise, excluding "white" Americans, Canadians, Australians etc. as well as olive-skinned southern European and Mediterranean nationalities.

Man, you should teach this stuff. But how about all those French words in the "English" language" ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What kind of European? Northern European or Southern European? Spanish look very different from the Germans..

You might as well just say "some bloke" robbed her of her money. alt=biggrin.png>

You mean some poor bloke took more than she bargained for. Oh mi oh my I want to add a smiley face but I don't know how. How poor is that?

Just for my knowledge...

What does people from countries such as Russia, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Romania and Moldova, Croatia, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Ukraine and Belarus, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Kosovo, and Macedonia look like?

And people from the USA?

rolleyes.gif

My email notification: "Danish woman robbed by Farang man in Chiang Mai"

Why not "Farang woman robbed by European-looking man" ... or "Farang woman robbed by Farang man"?

There are millions of "European-looking" men in Australia, the United States of America and England.

Question: Who is writing these headlines?!

Answer: Someone who needs education.

Last time i checked, England was in Europe!

Is England in Europe? I guess it is separated by the English channel from Europe

"Farang" is a Thai word that has no place in an English news headline. It looks amateur. Can Thai Visa just use "foreign/foreigner", or perhaps "Caucasian" if referring to a person of fair or light complexion? "European-looking man" is also very imprecise, excluding "white" Americans, Canadians, Australians etc. as well as olive-skinned southern European and Mediterranean nationalities.

It sounds like bargirl English, low class or no class. How many "farang" use the word "farang" to each other in everyday conversation? Do you ever see Bangkok Post or The Nation give news stories headlines like "Farang worry about new visa restrictions"? It definitely has no place in professional news reporting. It should be avoided for the same reason that colloquial or potentially divisive words like "Yank", "gringo", "Pom" or "honky" would not be used.

I think that if you are going to be this picky about correct usage, you would have been better served to use the word 'amateurish' rather than 'amateur.' The latter is a noun, while the former is the adjective that describes the action of 'looks' in your sentence.

In fact, you may have been better served to just read the damn news story, taking the information it provided, and leaving it at that.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

I dealt with this case. The lady in question described the suspect as mediterranean, rather than European.

She wanted to help the man and offered to give him 200 baht. Then he turned around and demanded 10,000. He threatened her verbally, but did not physically touch her.

The girl was young and naive. Thailand is a lovely place, yet it pays to apply common sense sometimes. She concluded that with hindsight she should never have followed him...

Edited by TonyChiangMai

The fact she arrived at the shopping centre with him and left with him on a motorcycle is kind of odd.

Yes--that is a little 'odd' now isn't it--I already thought it strange that this 'happened in Shopping Mall' and no one noticed--very fishy.

What's wrong with the headline? It is known she is Danish as she reported the crime and obviously gave her nationality, and a "European looking" guy distinguishes the SOB so we know he is not Thai / Asian / Middle Eastern. All you guy get upset when there is a report about a French / British / American or whatever other western national with a middle eastern or otherwise NON EUROPEAN name committed a crime.

I think the headline is clear and serves the purpose - be careful of EVEN European looking person asking you to give him cash help.

Thank god somebody simplified this topic. Now sit back and watch every word of every sentence be over examined and misguided old men will have something to do all day.

People please it is what it is !!!! Farang girl got robbed by a guy she is sure is a European but incase she is wrong he is a faring anyway.

Why not "Farang woman robbed by European-looking man" ... or "Farang woman robbed by Farang man"?

There are millions of "European-looking" men in Australia, the United States of America and England.

"We don't knead ejucation, we have degrees.....and footages."

Is England in Europe? I guess it is separated by the English channel from Europe

From continental Europe, but still in Europe.

• Like 1

Denmark is also in Europe.

The headline "Danish woman robbed by Farang man in Chiang Mai" is crap.

The secondary headline "Danish woman robbed in Chiang Mai by European looking man" is also crap.

Perhaps Thai Visa should shut down for a week and force us all to get a life.

I know I wrote 'Thai Visa' when it probably should have been 'Thaivisa'.

However please don't correct me. My PC can only take so much PC in one day.

Oh dear. I'm using an iPad and so have to touch the screen to move the page up and down. Unfortunately I pressed the "like this" button on your post. Bu #%er! Sorry GuyL, no offence, but I don't agree with your comment, but was going to keep my opinions to myself.

Geographically, we're lumped in with the rest of Europe because our minds like to put things into boxes and to put labels on them.

Once John Cabot started the British Empire in 1497 when he discovered Newfoundland, and Henry VIII took us out of Christendom in the 1530s, we have been part of the English speaking world. Nothing against Europe: lovely people but we are British not European.

Apologies for being off topic.

Oh dear. I'm using an iPad and so have to touch the screen to move the page up and down. Unfortunately I pressed the "like this" button on your post. Bu #%er! Sorry GuyL, no offence, but I don't agree with your comment, but was going to keep my opinions to myself.

Geographically, we're lumped in with the rest of Europe because our minds like to put things into boxes and to put labels on them.

Once John Cabot started the British Empire in 1497 when he discovered Newfoundland, and Henry VIII took us out of Christendom in the 1530s, we have been part of the English speaking world. Nothing against Europe: lovely people but we are British not European.

Geographically, England is part of Europe, and that's an undisputable fact. Politically, England is still part of the European Union (although, it might not be the case one of these days), etc, etc. etc. Like it or not, English people are British, yes, but also European (and not American, Asian, African, Oceanian nor Antarctican).

Edited by GuyL

This bloke looks European? smile.png

crocodile-dundee.jpg

crocodile-dundee.jpg

He is of European ancestry and that's certainly what was meant by the use of the terms "European" and/or "Farang" in the news report.

Geographycally, England is part of Europe, and that's an undisputable fact. Politically, England is still part of the European Union (although, it might not be the case one of these days), etc, etc. etc. Like it or not, English people are British, yes, but also European (and not American, Asian, African, Oceanian nor Antarctican).
Hello GuyL

Thank you for your measured response. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Also we are off topic and no doubt the moderators are lurking. As I say I was going to keep my opinions to myself.

It is unlikely that there will ever be a referendum. This is because the Civil Service, and in particular the Foreign Office, is staunchly in favour of the European Union. Politicians, and governments of whatever colour, come and go. In Opposition they make various promises but it is the Foreign Office mandarins, who are there long term, who formulate policy on Europe. They know that an In/Out referendum would, more likely than not, result in a 'No'. Emotionally, the 'no' voters do not see themselves as European.

One can use geographical and political labels to say that we are European, but home is where the heart is, and, emotionally, that is not in Europe.

Anyway, I appreciate that you disagree, and it was interesting to hear your point of view.

I guess that I just need to be more careful when touching the screen on my iPad!

Edited by jukebox

crocodile-dundee.jpg

He is of European ancestry and that's certainly what was meant by the use of the terms "European" and/or "Farang" in the news report.

Geez, relax, I wasn't being serious .... you think I'd use a pic of a 'hollywood Aussie' to make a serious point ? (and it might interest you to know that I was born in Oz, though I don't wrestle crocs).

What's wrong with the headline? It is known she is Danish as she reported the crime and obviously gave her nationality, and a "European looking" guy distinguishes the SOB so we know he is not Thai / Asian / Middle Eastern. All you guy get upset when there is a report about a French / British / American or whatever other western national with a middle eastern or otherwise NON EUROPEAN name committed a crime.

I think the headline is clear and serves the purpose - be careful of EVEN European looking person asking you to give him cash help.

Crooks are crooks. They come in all sizes, shapes, and nationalities.

But wait a minute. Might be there is more than one con going on here.

"Withoon said Rosgaard and the man had been seen arriving at the shopping mall in Pa Daed area together and later left together on the same motorcycle." <$&*expletive>??? I wonder who's going to jail?

Edited by connda

crocodile-dundee.jpg

Geez, relax, I wasn't being serious .... you think I'd use a pic of a 'hollywood Aussie' to make a serious point ? (and it might interest you to know that I was born in Oz, though I don't wrestle crocs).

Don't be afraid, I've noticed (among other things) the smiley at the end of your comment. Actually, I was also replying in mine to the other TV member that you quoted in your own post.

But I am very disappointed to learn that you've never wrestled a croc so far, my Aussie friend! wink.png

Edited by GuyL