BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
elvaman

Moving To Chiangmai

My rent has been 5,000 baht for the last 4 years...

Sawadee krup Ajarn

:o

I'm very new to all this - but subscribe to the advice "Better to ask dumb questions than to make dumb mistakes".

You quote rent at 5,000 baht - that is the MONTHLY rent, right?

LoongJohn

.._

> You quote rent at 5,000 baht - that is the MONTHLY rent, right?

Of course. Chiang Mai is cheap, but not that cheap that it could be yearly.. :o

Note that I'm paying 5000/mo as well. Big 3 bedroom 4 bathroom + maid room 2 storey house in a popular compound. (Don't like compounds, but at this price for a nice house I'm not complaining).

> You quote rent at 5,000 baht - that is the MONTHLY rent, right?

Of course.  Chiang Mai is cheap, but not that cheap that it could be yearly.. :D

Note that I'm paying 5000/mo as well.  Big 3 bedroom 4 bathroom + maid room 2 storey house in a popular compound.  (Don't like compounds, but at this price for a nice house I'm not complaining).

Yes, there really are quite a few good deals still to be found on houses for rent...In my mubaan (Tanawan), Most of the smaller houses are advertised for around 7,000 baht, fully furnished, with phone and air....I know of 4 that I've looked at personally.. I like the older muubaans, mostly because they usually have lots greenery and big shade trees...The new mubaans with big houses sitting in naked lots just looks hot and uninviting to me.

The first time I found a house, soon after I first arrived, I went out with a tuk-tuk driver who could speak for me, and read the for rent signs for me...That landed me a beautiful place off Suthep road, just across from cmu...That area still has some good deals for the creative and motivated house hunter. Rent prices in CM have remained very stable over the last 10-15 years, in my experience.

There is also an agent who advertises in CityLife (I think). I think it's now called Chiang Mai Habitat, and the guy's name is Teera. Nice guy, energetic, but not pushy. He's the one who showed us those 7,000 baht homes (We drove around the muubaan and found our gem for 5,000) Sorry, I can't remember his phone #...

Oh, and part of the reason my rent remains cheap is because I volunteered to pay a year in advance, every year. Landlords love that, but get to know your landlord first, before that kind of committment, I'd suggest. I also do any needed repairs myself. I take good care of their house because it's my Home...:o