Has Chiang Rai been affected by the imposition of martial law?

Rotweiler

We have seen nothing unusual here at all. Had to run into City today - nothing unusual/different there either. Only thing noticeable was that some channels seem offline. Considering the channels in question, 'tis a good thing (imho).

Anyone notice anything out of the ordinary here?

• Like 1

We just returned from a day of running errands in town and you wouldn't known there was anything going on in Bangkok if you hadn't read about or seen it on the news. Not like the old days when there would be nothing but marching music on the radio. Then again, I can't remember the last time I listened to the radio in the car, with bluetooth and the like these days. I believe this is number eight for me, though technically they say it is only marshal law. The big one in 1973 was slightly before my time.

• Like 1

If anything, I thought that there may have been less traffic today. The BIB were noticeable by there absence though... Or was is camouflage?

Since the original melee in 1932 (?Jon) when the BIB sided with the navy and lost, not only the battle but face for all time. Historically, they always seem to take on a low profile when the "squaddies" move in.

• Like 2

There were police road blocks/check points coming out of CR going toward Wiang Chai last night about 8.45. No idea what this was about as the Thai driver dealt with the police, they seemed very friendly. No idea how common such a thing might be as I'm new to Thailand

I lived here during the last martial law and reign of the military and I was concernd and my Thai wife told me DO NOT WORRY

we live our life as usual and we do not let us upset whats going on in BKK.The men in brown where less visible and more polite IMO

We just leaving for down town and expect nothing has changed .We been living over 10 years here.

Edited by hardy1943

There were police road blocks/check points coming out of CR going toward Wiang Chai last night about 8.45. No idea what this was about as the Thai driver dealt with the police, they seemed very friendly. No idea how common such a thing might be as I'm new to Thailand

As for checkpoints there are the fixed location ones which may or may not be manned when you pass, like those on the way to Mae Sai. Then there is a roving group that sets up at random locations on different days.
I bump into these guys more often, so I made a point of chatting for a few minutes on a slow day, now one guy in particular always remembers and either smiles and waves me through or I may stop and ask how he is doing.
During big holidays there are a few additional temporary checkpoints set up to check for drunk driving. I have always found these guys cheerful and polite, which is remarkable considering the heat and pollution they have to deal with.
  • Like 1

We have seen nothing unusual here at all. Had to run into City today - nothing unusual/different there either.

What were you expecting? These things tend to center in Bangkok even when it's an all out coup and remain fairly subdued. Maybe you were expecting violent, bloody scenes like these when they staged the last (or was it last but one) coup?

news-graphics-2006-_626728a.jpg

thailand_600.jpg

• Like 1

Technically, I believe the martial law declaration applies to all of Thailand. Practically, except in cases where some sort of political activity is ramping up, I think it's mainly just going to affect Bangkok. And even here, it seems mainly a matter of some jeeps parked at large intersections here & there, providing photo ops for the media and passersby. Where a rally has been planned or is in progress, obviously the presence will be greater. As always, it appears to be something to which foreigners can easily give a wide birth (and common sense would dictate that they should).

Not saying this can't change. But it all seems fairly quiet & benign at the moment.

• Like 1

Having been through two full ones (91 and 06) and what appeared close to something far worse (2010), not expecting anything more than what is actually occurring. My son has not even had his leave cancelled.

What were you expecting? These things tend to center in Bangkok even when it's an all out coup and remain fairly subdued. Maybe you were expecting violent, bloody scenes like these when they staged the last (or was it last but one) coup?

• Like 1

Come on Rot, you knew that new Topic wouldn't fly. This makes it official, 8 coups for me. We didn't even find out until we got home from our drive along the Mekong.

The barflies seem to be moaning about the curfew but I remember liking the fact I didn't need to hang around till the wee hours to find a girl to take me home. It had a tendency to speed the dating process along quite nicely.wink.png

[...]

The barflies seem to be moaning about the curfew but I remember liking the fact I didn't need to hang around till the wee hours to find a girl to take me home. It had a tendency to speed the dating process along quite nicely.wink.png

Then you must have been a very han sum man back in the day, eh, Village Farang.

And I imagine there was only a limited supply of han sum man -- shame on you, taking advantage of the situation.

• Like 1

[...]

And I imagine there was only a limited supply of han sum man -- shame on you, taking advantage of the situation.

It probably had just as much to do with me being very young and speaking Thai, because I certainly didn’t have any money back then. It is hard to describe what things were like back in the 70s and 80s as a young single guy, who some may have called handsome. Very different times.

• Like 2

As someone pointed out 8 coups is not really correct as I guess I tend to include the attempted Coups like when they tried to oust Prem. They ended up not being successful, but there were still tanks in the streets and nothing but marching music on the radio. The attempts were just as interesting as one waited around for news as to which side prevailed. Generally if you couldn't consolidate power in the first 48 hours then you had failed.

[...]

It probably had just as much to do with me being very young and speaking Thai, because I certainly didn’t have any money back then. It is hard to describe what things were like back in the 70s and 80s as a young single guy, who some may have called handsome. Very different times.

Perhaps a handsome man from a Pablo Picasso poiint of view :D

• Like 1

Humble apologies, VF. It's only 3 for me - all with the same degree of "noticeability" (yes, certainly the spelling police will object, but.....) - ZERO.

As someone pointed out 8 coups is not really correct as I guess I tend to include the attempted Coups like when they tried to oust Prem. They ended up not being successful, but there were still tanks in the streets and nothing but marching music on the radio. The attempts were just as interesting as one waited around for news as to which side prevailed. Generally if you couldn't consolidate power in the first 48 hours then you had failed.

• Like 1

Only thing I have noticed is that my brother in law who sells meat and leaves home at 2 am every morning was allowed to do everything he had to to get it to the market and could sell it there but is not allowed to do the veery early morning (3am- 8am) deliveries to the hotels restaurants etc. he supplies.

• Like 1

Yes Harrry, their is a waiver for persons handling/selling perishable goods. It was clarified in one of the announcements early evening yesterday.

Hopefully, your BIL will escape capture and penal servitude on some barren island.

Yes Harrry, their is a waiver for persons handling/selling perishable goods. It was clarified in one of the announcements early evening yesterday.

Hopefully, your BIL will escape capture and penal servitude on some barren island.

Yes..though there may be some that think it would be a good thing if he did not evade capture.

He was permitted to get things to the market and sell there but he was not permitted to do the deliveries that he does between three and six to the restaurants and hotels he usually suppplies so i guess they ggot a late start with their food.

tauraunts

Edited by harrry

It's usually very quiet here where I live by 10 pm anyway

Did notice police pickups going past a lot tonight ,perhaps to check bars and suchlike were closed on time

Other than that its nice and quiet as usual

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Plain-clothes police were grabbing people in the mall today.

Two big police trucks and other vehicles were outside.

My wife thinks they were loading red shirts, based on the yelling and commotion.

There were also guards, with mirrors on a stick, looking under all vehicles entering the mall.

Edited by rijb

Excuse me, but which Mall are you talking about? At which time? We are at the Central Plaza if you are talking about. There now and have been most of the day. Sitting at Chester's atm - NOTHING happening here.

Where are you?

Plain-clothes police were grabbing people in the mall today.

Two big police trucks and other vehicles were outside.

My wife thinks they were loading red shirts, based on the yelling and commotion.

There were also guards, with mirrors on a stick, looking under all vehicles entering the mall.

30 meters away, then. Nothing now.

They were fast. Didn't see any guns or uniforms - just a walkie talkie. They dragged a guy away sitting at a table next to us. He resisted. But, he was outnumbered. And we saw others loaded into a 'paddy wagon'. The rest of the customers (including us) kept their heads down or looked the other way. Except for a Thai woman at another table. She was mad, stood up and told everybody to remember this.

Edited by rijb

We stopped by the Mall for awhile this afternoon but didn’t notice anything unusual at all. It was pretty crowded though. I guess there was a very brief power outage just as we were leaving.

Edited by villagefarang