Huge fire burns down old riverside market in Bang Phli, Samut Prakan

webfact

Old floating market fire

5-21-2014-10-27-07-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

SAMUT PRAKAN: -- A huge fire Tuesday night burnt down part of the 150-year-old floating market in Bang Pli district of Samut Prakan province.

The fire at Talad Nam Boran floating market located by the Klong Samrong canal happened at about 9.30 p.m. after a cooking gas tank leaked and exploded.

The wooden bridge which was built parallel to the canal caught fire and quickly raged to the wooden row shop houses.

Residents started to flee from their homes when the fire spread quickly as strong wind help to fan it.

More than 20 fire engines rushed to the scene but could not get access to the market due to its narrow entrance.

Firemen have to drag their fire hoses along the small lanes to get to the fire.

The fire raged for an hour before it could be kept under control.

More than 50 wooden houses were gutted.

Police were investigating the cause but initially they suspected gas leak from a cooking gas tank and explosion was the cause.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/old-floating-market-fire/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-21

Flames engulfed 150-year-old maritime market in Bang Pli

SAMUT PRAKAN, 21 May 2014 (NNT) – A 150-year-old maritime market in Bang Pli District, Samut Prakan Province was gutted by fire last night.

The market, which consists of about 50 wooden structures and buildings crammed together in a small area of 150 square meters, quickly caught fire and spread as harsh winds helped propel the blaze.

Firefighters and fire trucks faced difficulty to reach the blaze due to the market’s condensed structural layout. They were only able to contain the blaze, preventing it from spreading beyond the market. The fire was completely put out after 2 hours.

The ancient maritime market is located near Luang Pho To Temple on Samrong Canal in Bang Pli Yai Sub-district, Samut Prakan Province. Officials are currently investigating the cause of the blaze.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rqyBfPGGLw.web
-- NNT 2014-05-21

• Like 1

Wonder if there happens to be a developer interested in the land.

coffee1.gif

"after a cooking gas tank leaked and exploded."

Worrying if an accident. The same happened on Soi Rang Nam in BKK around 6 months ago.

I never liked being around these old gas canisters. Even less so when Thais are involved with them.

coffee1.gif

Sorry for the loss.

NGO, please go check out in the planning office id someone have lodged a riverside condo plan?

Maybe Yingluck's SC Asset? I only say MAYBE.

They'd have picked the wrong place the market being located on a canal.

Sorry for the loss.

NGO, please go check out in the planning office id someone have lodged a riverside condo plan?

When I was reading the article I wondered if there would be a dimwitted comment blaming Thaksin.. Not quite Thaksin but congratulations for taking the opportunity to turn a disaster impacting hundreds of local people into a halfwitted dross political statement

He only said MAYBE..........put your toys back in your pram!!

Sorry for the loss.

When I was reading the article I wondered if there would be a dimwitted comment blaming Thaksin.. Not quite Thaksin but congratulations for taking the opportunity to turn a disaster impacting hundreds of local people into a halfwitted dross political statement

Any hole is a goal I guess but is there ANY reason to mention anything related to the current political situation in a topic like this? Really?

• Like 2

It does make one wonder what 2.2 billion baht could go to, to start construction of a gas piping system (the Western way), instead of everybody having to contend with WWII gas-bottle types, sometimes carried 8 at a time on a 'moped'. High-speed train to the north, needed for quick get-aways when not going to parliament, or some sane supply of cooking and washing facilities in all Thai homes? I know which I'd prefer.

Then again; the Western way is not our uncle.. so we'll happily maintain 14th century practice, thanks, and pocket the taxes as landlords of the poor. bah.gif

There's nothing inherently dangerous about gas tanks. This fire was the result of negligence, until Thailand starts holding negligent parties responsible (rather than just making the richest person pay), this will continue.

I ride my bicycle all around Bangkok, and that is one thing that always comes to mind,

"how would a firetruck or ambulance get here if needed?-".

How many people continue to die just because of poor planning or just too

lazy to do any planning? A sad situation indeed. RIP and condolences wai.gif

Last night when I went to bed I smelt smoke. What is in fire AGAIN? I thought.

Morning saw the news.

I live very close to there and liked those place.

Really sorry for those place, was unspoiled market with a nice feeling and lot of true smiles.

It does make one wonder what 2.2 billion baht could go to, to start construction of a gas piping system (the Western way), instead of everybody having to contend with WWII gas-bottle types, sometimes carried 8 at a time on a 'moped'. High-speed train to the north, needed for quick get-aways when not going to parliament, or some sane supply of cooking and washing facilities in all Thai homes? I know which I'd prefer.

Then again; the Western way is not our uncle.. so we'll happily maintain 14th century practice, thanks, and pocket the taxes as landlords of the poor. bah.gif

There's nothing inherently dangerous about gas tanks. This fire was the result of negligence, until Thailand starts holding negligent parties responsible (rather than just making the richest person pay), this will continue.

I didn't say there was anything 'inherently' dangerous about gas bottles, did I?

I guess you never lived in a country where gas comes quite safely to homes, underground, unsighted, and doesn't cause major blows (in 99.99999% of cases).. unless one is pissed, and forgets to turn the gas off, and is therefore a negligent party.

Are you for improvements, or sacastic autism? coffee1.gif

Sorry for the loss.

Heavens, is it dimwit volunteer day?

Up on Cripple Creek she sends me

If I spring a leak she mends me

I don't have to speak, she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one