Why is residency so expensive?

I read the following line on TV regarding Residency :

Approval of a residence permit (payable on receipt of residence book) – 191,400

Is that really 191,400 Baht ?

Why is this so expensive? other countries dont charge big bucks for residency or is this figure incorect ?

w00t.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the correct amount unless you are married to a Thai. Plus there is an 7600 baht fee for the application.

Residence certificate (TM. 16)
  • For shared investment or special investment: 191,400.- Baht
  • For employment or expert: 191,400.- Baht
  • For foreigner married to Thai national: 95,700.- Baht
  • For foreign head of family taking care of children of Thai nationality: 95,700.- Baht
  • For spouse of foreign resident in the Kingdom: 95,700.- Baht
  • For children of foreign resident in the Kingdom or of Thai nationals:
    • Underage: 95,700.- Baht
    • Adult: 191,400.- Baht

From: http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=fee

• Like 1

Whether or not THB 191400 is a lot of money to pay for a residence permit in Thailand I will leave unsaid but there are of course a lot of other countries which charges "big bucks" for residence permits.

In Dubai for example if you purchase a property for at least around THB 9m, you can apply for a residence permit which costs THB 160k for the first two years with an annual fee of THB 11500 after that.

Charging at least a quite high amount of money for residence permits of course has the advantage of bringing in some extra revenue, but also filters out people who aren't of good financial standing and hence might not be of much use to the host country.

• Like 1

Think you should check again what other countries charge and then get back to us.

Yeap....see link below on thread discussing the costs of a US green, amounts up to USD 20k are mentioned, so if Thailand works out to about USD 6k, its significantly cheaper in Thailand...wink.png

http://www.trackitt.com/uk-discussion-forums/i485-eb/485270521/how-much-it-cost-to-get-a-green-card

Mine was 25,000 baht in them days 2002, based on married to Thai national, but had to have 10 years non stop O Imm. of stay.

After that, it was this first time in 17 years that they lifted the fee btw, and cut the waiting time also.

Now days it is only 3 years and then you can apply.

However, the Dems do not give out PR's by the way, as we all have seen.

Win

Edited by Kan Win
  • Like 1

Perhaps another question is what do you get for your money? Would Thai foreign residents like to chime in with a list of benefits so we can understand why one would invest the time and money in applying, and waiting for the application to process. Three years and a minimum of 95,700THB seem high but let's see what one gets for this investment.....

Peace of mind and a stepping stone to citizenship should one want it. And that is harder to value.

The pedants will be along shortly however to do the per year calculation and decide it is too expensive as they sit in the van on the way to their 50/50 visa run... ;)

• Like 2

They are not all expensive though.

My Resident Visa in the Philippines cost me $1,400 plus. $20,000 term deposit in a bank which stays there for the period the visa is valid for.,This is a LIFETIME VISA, I have a Resident Card, and never report to Immigration.

Think you should check again what other countries charge and then get back to us.

e.g. In Australia the latest budget plans for a visa fee for family reunion visa for parents is to increase to A$75k each person, with a cap of 2150 visas issued per year.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/05/21/parent-visa-changes-budget-fine-print

Edited by simple1

Perhaps another question is what do you get for your money? Would Thai foreign residents like to chime in with a list of benefits so we can understand why one would invest the time and money in applying, and waiting for the application to process. Three years and a minimum of 95,700THB seem high but let's see what one gets for this investment.....

You have the legal right of permanent abode in Thailand...so you can give up your visa running...rolleyes.gif

Three years and a minimum of 95,700THB seem high but let's see what one gets for this investment.....

seems to me, you think your doing them a favour by investing....think you have this concept the wrong way round.....as with getting PR in any country...they are asking What are you doing for "us"...

• Like 2

I'd like to get residency at some point. I left after 2.5 years, and I heard it's 3. But there are probably a lot of other requirements to get it. I'd like it just for the peace of mind for staying here and building a life. I wouldn't want to get married and have the visa be one of the reasons why.

They are not all expensive though.

My Resident Visa in the Philippines cost me $1,400 plus. $20,000 term deposit in a bank which stays there for the period the visa is valid for.,This is a LIFETIME VISA, I have a Resident Card, and never report to Immigration.

correct if I am wrong, this is not legal permanent residence, this is a long term visa, a legal PR doesn't need a visa to live in a country or term deposits in banks

In some place PR gives you all the benefits of "citizenship" but without the passport or the right to vote...but you can do everything else

I read the following line on TV regarding Residency :

Approval of a residence permit (payable on receipt of residence book) – 191,400

Is that really 191,400 Baht ?

Why is this so expensive? other countries dont charge big bucks for residency or is this figure incorect ?

w00t.gif

Approval is the problem, not the fee.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Yeap....see link below on thread discussing the costs of a US green, amounts up to USD 20k are mentioned, so if Thailand works out to about USD 6k, its significantly cheaper in Thailand...wink.png

http://www.trackitt.com/uk-discussion-forums/i485-eb/485270521/how-much-it-cost-to-get-a-green-card

You just compared Thailand with the US? same same eh??

I wanna see comparison with Cambodia, that would be more like it.

• Like 2

It is NOT that simple!

In a previous post, I sought information regarding eligibility for PR!

I suggest that, nowadays, walking on water is much easier.

Of course, some posters asserted that they were "special". I did not seek info from the Thai govt. A work permit - a prerequisite - therefore, current OA (retirement visa)holders are ineligible!

My recollection, the waiting time was around a DECADE!

If you discover a short-cut (or whatever), I am very interested!

You have the legal right of permanent abode in Thailand...so you can give up your visa running...rolleyes.gif

Three years and a minimum of 95,700THB seem high but let's see what one gets for this investment.....

seems to me, you think your doing them a favour by investing....think you have this concept the wrong way round.....as with getting PR in any country...they are asking What are you doing for "us"...

The way I am thinking is what do I get for paying 95700THB and spending three years waiting. The list thus far includes only not having to do the visa run every year.

I am a permanent resident of Japan. There are no significant fees to obtain residency, and no bank deposit is required. Because I am not married to a Japanese national, I had to be in Japan for 10 years before I could apply. I think I had to show that I paid taxes for the last couple of years... whatever forms I had to present, I remember that it wasn't actually that hard to get. I think foreigners who have married a Japanese national can apply for permanent residency after 3 years of living in Japan, but I'm not sure.

Edited by timmyp

It is NOT that simple!

In a previous post, I sought information regarding eligibility for PR!

I suggest that, nowadays, walking on water is much easier.

Of course, some posters asserted that they were "special". I did not seek info from the Thai govt. A work permit - a prerequisite - therefore, current OA (retirement visa)holders are ineligible!

My recollection, the waiting time was around a DECADE!

If you discover a short-cut (or whatever), I am very interested!

to be honest I don't think they are many countries that would offer an retiree legal permanent residence anyway, most forms of PR want the immigrants to contribute to society/country, work, pay taxes etc and besides some countries have age restrictions for legal migration, if your over a certain age you will not be accepted...

• Like 1

"correct if I am wrong, this is not legal permanent residence, this is a long term visa, a legal PR doesn't need a visa to live in a country or term deposits in banks"

Well I do have Legal, Permanent Residence.,Yes, I have a Visa for it but it is a LIFETIME visa and I have a Resident ID card. To my way of thinking,this meets the definition of legal permanent residence.

I can see no other easy way of getting Permanent Residence if you are a foreigner, even if you marry a local you still get a Permanent Resident Visa.

As a matter of interest I have a British passport and for over 50 years I have had Permanent Residence in Australia with a Visa that has to be renewed every five years.

Argh - just as I thought. So even though I have (a fair amount) invested and have been on an O-A for the last couple of years (since I turned 50), there is no way I would qualify for a PR. My only option is to do the time (and learning), and go for citizenship (or keep extending my Retirement visa) ?

• Like 1

There is a quota each year for each country , preference is given to people who have been working in Thailand for some time .

I believe that retirees stand little chance of getting permanent residency .

As a Briton going to reside in Italy , I had no difficulty . I had to apply for residency by three months showing I had sufficient income to live ,

alternatively a contract to work . The initial permission lasted 5yrs , then one has to re-apply ; all being well , I was granted residence in perpetuity .

But not so in Thailand . I think they have a point Thailand could easily be flooded with foreigners .

"correct if I am wrong, this is not legal permanent residence, this is a long term visa, a legal PR doesn't need a visa to live in a country or term deposits in banks"

Well I do have Legal, Permanent Residence.,Yes, I have a Visa for it but it is a LIFETIME visa and I have a Resident ID card. To my way of thinking,this meets the definition of legal permanent residence.

I can see no other easy way of getting Permanent Residence if you are a foreigner, even if you marry a local you still get a Permanent Resident Visa.

As a matter of interest I have a British passport and for over 50 years I have had Permanent Residence in Australia with a Visa that has to be renewed every five years.

OK in terms of the Philippines, if for some reason they changed the terms and conditions or did away completely with what you currently have, could you remain in the Philippines permanently ?...if the answer is no, then you cant be a Legal Permanent Resident of Philippines, as if you where they couldn't kick you out...

I understand what you have is in effect "Permanent Residence" and the result is the same as legal PR, but they are not quite the same

On the Aussie one, I think you may be getting confused over terminology...if your Aussie PR, then it cant be visa you have in your PP it could be a residence permit in your PP that confirms your an Aussie PR, but this is not a visa, you don't need to get permission from an Aussie immigration officer to enter the country because you have legal right of abode in the same way a tourist would.

I may be sounding pedantic but there is a difference between having permanent residence in country and being a permanent resident of a country, legal PR confers right of abode, while having permanent residence means you can stay as long as you want provided you comply with the terms and conditions the country sets...eg money in the back, annual fees, whatever that may be.

20k Baht for residency is a ridiculous amount, it's really out of proportion. To get a residency in a country like Holland you will be paying maybe a couple of hundred of euros (depending on you situation) and you will be getting A LOT for it - social security, permission to work for a very decent salary, access to high quality education etc.

So what where you getting here in Thailand, again? ;)

Oh, and for members of European Union the fee is 53 Euros....

Residency in Thailand is expensive and basically useless because one still has to apply for a work permit if he wants to do anything,which involves another 25000 Baht or so......

since when is a work permit THB 25k ?..its not