Why is residency so expensive?

20k Baht for residency is a ridiculous amount, it's really out of proportion. To get a residency in a country like Holland you will be paying maybe a couple of hundred of euros (depending on you situation) and you will be getting A LOT for it - social security, permission to work for a very decent salary, access to high quality education etc.

So what where you getting here in Thailand, again? wink.png

Oh, and for members of European Union the fee is 53 Euros....

A little more than a couple of hundred Euro's

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2012/04/the_netherlands_criticised_for.php

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20k Baht for residency is a ridiculous amount, it's really out of proportion. To get a residency in a country like Holland you will be paying maybe a couple of hundred of euros (depending on you situation) and you will be getting A LOT for it - social security, permission to work for a very decent salary, access to high quality education etc.

So what where you getting here in Thailand, again? wink.png

Oh, and for members of European Union the fee is 53 Euros....

A little more than a couple of hundred Euro's

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2012/04/the_netherlands_criticised_for.php

Well, you are right, the prices went up a little, so now it's between 350 and 1200 Euros (non EU residents). Still very low compared to Thailand's 5k euros with no real benefits. Only benefit is that you don't have to worry about the visa.

So my argument stands smile.png.

Edited by Cezar

Perhaps another question is what do you get for your money? Would Thai foreign residents like to chime in with a list of benefits so we can understand why one would invest the time and money in applying, and waiting for the application to process. Three years and a minimum of 95,700THB seem high but let's see what one gets for this investment.....

You have the legal right of permanent abode in Thailand...so you can give up your visa running...rolleyes.gif

Three years and a minimum of 95,700THB seem high but let's see what one gets for this investment.....

seems to me, you think your doing them a favour by investing....think you have this concept the wrong way round.....as with getting PR in any country...they are asking What are you doing for "us"...

The way I am thinking is what do I get for paying 95700THB and spending three years waiting. The list thus far includes only not having to do the visa run every year.

If you are making a visa run every year you would not qualify any way. You have to be on extensions of stay for 3 years.

If I could qualify for it I would a apply for it and happily pay the 95,770 baht to get it, But since I am not working I don't. I have everything else needed.

Not having to do extensions and 90 day reports for the rest of my life is enough for me. Especially when I get older. Another thing I would never have to worry about getting a new passport again unless I wanted to leave.

Just out of interest, for the 3 year qualifying period for permanent residency (or citizenship if married to a Thai) when you say continuous how does it work if you change jobs within that period? For example, if you switch jobs after 1 year and then have to cancel your extension of stay but you get a new visa and extension of stay 2-3 weeks later? Does that mean the chain has been broken? So would that mean that an unbroken 3 year stay period would have to be 3 years at the same job or at least, if you do change jobs all the paperwork has to be done within the country?

Yeap....see link below on thread discussing the costs of a US green, amounts up to USD 20k are mentioned, so if Thailand works out to about USD 6k, its significantly cheaper in Thailand...wink.png

That amount is an outlier -- you have to compare against the typical amount that is paid which is less than half of that.

In Canada you get a free pass on the Reading Railroad if you have $250,000.00 - thats immigration only - no guarantee of citizenship. residency is seldom talked about - likely with a work permit or grandma and grampa come to Canada.

I don't mean to sound stingy, but for the last 31 years I have just renewed the annual visa on the basis of marriage. The process takes a couple of hours at Immigration, including the wait, if you have the documents. 1,900 Baht. It used to be 1,000 Baht. I've never seen the point of getting a Residency Visa, which used to cost 50,000 Baht and then 150,000 Baht under the table apparently. If my wife dies, then I'll apply for an employment visa or get married again.

A good and not so far away place to check it out is Singapore's residency rate. Please update us.

No (significant) fees in getting a Singapore PR & the minimum amount of time you need to be resident here before you can apply is only 6 months, but that's the kicker, if you're not resident here (I.e. Working or have s$20Million in the bank for an investment visa), you can't apply.

Think you should check again what other countries charge and then get back to us.

in Germany fees charged are one month's gross salary of the German partner.

sorry, i mixed up things! the fees i mentioned are for citizenship of the non-German partner wai2.gif

Edited by Naam

A good and not so far away place to check it out is Singapore's residency rate. Please update us.

No (significant) fees in getting a Singapore PR & the minimum amount of time you need to be resident here before you can apply is only 6 months, but that's the kicker, if you're not resident here (I.e. Working or have s$20Million in the bank for an investment visa), you can't apply.

you can't obtain Permanent Residency in Singapore just after working there 6 months!

you can't obtain Permanent Residency in Singapore just after working there 6 months!

Naam,

I believe there are lots of posters on this thread who don't know the difference between being allowed to reside in country long term and being given permanent residence (PR) ...they are not the same thing

One suspects after 6 months in Sing you can get a residence permit, not permanent residence, and you can maintain your Singapore residence permit for as long as you are working.?

Proper PR gives you legal right of abode, without out having to comply with specified conditions to remain in country.

In other words, Typically you have all the rights of citizen, but you don't have the passport and your not allowed to vote, although saying this Thailand's PR program doesn't quite do this...

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Think you should check again what other countries charge and then get back to us.

Make that other comparable countries.

I would say being on the path to land ownership rights is a valuable status for some? Or must we all be condescending?

• Like 1

a friend of mine who was resident and worked in Singapore for 21 years retired last year and as retiree has to renew his residence permit every three years. he has applied for PR but was told that the chances to obtain PR are quite low.

• Like 1

Yeap....see link below on thread discussing the costs of a US green, amounts up to USD 20k are mentioned, so if Thailand works out to about USD 6k, its significantly cheaper in Thailand...wink.png

http://www.trackitt.com/uk-discussion-forums/i485-eb/485270521/how-much-it-cost-to-get-a-green-card

An in ratio of averages earnt ??

But still.. I dont think of it as expensive, its the other clauses and conditions that make it difficult.

Cant you get instant PR with a 40 mil investment ?? You used to be able to as a buddy on Phuket did it.

They are not all expensive though.

My Resident Visa in the Philippines cost me $1,400 plus. $20,000 term deposit in a bank which stays there for the period the visa is valid for.,This is a LIFETIME VISA, I have a Resident Card, and never report to Immigration.

Malaysia my second home, buy 2 homes legally, import one luxury car tax free, etc etc..

As I am now into my 4th year extensions, I really should look into this more..

Once given (with the implication of 'permanent') should you divorce you retain it correct ??

Are they actually giving any out in practice ?? I mean its all well and good 'in theory' but if they are 'on hold' for the last few years its irrelevant anyway no ?? And do you have to pay to apply or only if granted.

"correct if I am wrong, this is not legal permanent residence, this is a long term visa, a legal PR doesn't need a visa to live in a country or term deposits in banks"

Well I do have Legal, Permanent Residence.,Yes, I have a Visa for it but it is a LIFETIME visa and I have a Resident ID card. To my way of thinking,this meets the definition of legal permanent residence.

I can see no other easy way of getting Permanent Residence if you are a foreigner, even if you marry a local you still get a Permanent Resident Visa.

As a matter of interest I have a British passport and for over 50 years I have had Permanent Residence in Australia with a Visa that has to be renewed every five years.

I have had Permanent Residence in Australia with a Visa that has to be renewed every five years.you say, this is not correct my friend

my wife is a PR of Australia the PR is for life you only renew your re-entry visa every 5 years

I still come back to my previous post & another post I made re the topic of PR in LOS.

The information I received was that it was a no-go w/o a current WP. OA ("retirement visa") - NO -GO!

The paperwork - ridiculous.

Time - same -10 years.

"Tips" - I detest.

As per a previous poster, is it REALLY worth the effort given the above?

Of course, I would grab one if the task was not so great - 3 month checkup, 12 mth extension - not a gigantic task - BUT, I would be happy to do without.

OK.. So I am to understand the rules are one thing but the implementation may be another.

Do they actually give PR, to people who dont have an income here ?? Guys married to Thais and on many years extensions ?? Or is it they accept the application (and fee) but you remain at the bottom of the pile ??

OK.. So I am to understand the rules are one thing but the implementation may be another.

Do they actually give PR, to people who dont have an income here ?? Guys married to Thais and on many years extensions ?? Or is it they accept the application (and fee) but you remain at the bottom of the pile ??

They will not accept your application unless you meet all the requirements. Info here: http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=residence

For marriage to a Thai ministerial regulation says one thing but reality is another.

You must of been working here with a work permit, paying taxes and be on extensions of stay for 3 years.

The minimum income shown in the regulations is 30k baht and that can be your wife's or a combination.but in reality it must be yours only and at least a 50k (higher some reports) income.

OK so again a total non starter.. What the rules say and what the rules really mean huh ?!?

Its a shame.. I would willingly pay some taxes.. And I dont think the 9x something k a lot for a lifetime free of visa hassles.. I would even jump through some hoops and make sure my thai was more conversational.

In retrospect some form of shell business employing myself and paying some taxes seems like less of a bad way to do it than it did back then.

That is the correct amount unless you are married to a Thai. Plus there is an 7600 baht fee for the application.

Residence certificate (TM. 16)

• For shared investment or special investment: 191,400.- Baht
  • For employment or expert: 191,400.- Baht
  • For foreigner married to Thai national: 95,700.- Baht
  • For foreign head of family taking care of children of Thai nationality: 95,700.- Baht
  • For spouse of foreign resident in the Kingdom: 95,700.- Baht
  • For children of foreign resident in the Kingdom or of Thai nationals:
    • Underage: 95,700.- Baht
    • Adult: 191,400.- Baht

From: http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=fee

However, there were TV articles last year that claimed the large fee had been dispensed with, leaving only an application fee.

Oh Yes, in the US, there are fees, but not anywhere near $1000 (32,000 Baht)...

Once given (with the implication of 'permanent') should you divorce you retain it correct ??

Correct, once your granted legal PR in Thailand you have legal right of abode irrespective of whether you get divorced,

PR is not tied into any T&C's provided you don't something really naughty to give them grounds to revoke your PR. (and these would be quite serious offenses BTW) and would need to go to a court.

You only pay the 7600 baht application fee. Then you pay the fee for residence certificate after approval.

After you have residency getting divorced dose not change anything.

Good point - many other countries require that you pay the whole lot up front and you lose it all if your application is declined.

I still come back to my previous post & another post I made re the topic of PR in LOS.

The information I received was that it was a no-go w/o a current WP. OA ("retirement visa") - NO -GO!

The paperwork - ridiculous.

Time - same -10 years.

"Tips" - I detest.

As per a previous poster, is it REALLY worth the effort given the above?

Of course, I would grab one if the task was not so great - 3 month checkup, 12 mth extension - not a gigantic task - BUT, I would be happy to do without.

Why on earth would you grab one, even if they gave them away for free?

You don't even like it here. You say that it's like an oven, nothing to do in the daytime, etc.