Border run crackdown in full force at Thai-Cambodian checkpoints

Hmmm. So when was all this announced? Flying in a week today, and only just read about it. We spend about three to four months a year in Thailand during foreign university downtime, when I'm not working.The missus and kids have Thai passports, so no problem there, but since I stopped working in Thailand about ten years ago, I've never bothered with a visa. We have a house not too far from the border, so I just take the 30 days on arrival and pop over the border fortnightly until it's time to leave.

Anyway, too late to do anything about it now. We'll just have to see what happens when we get there.

you cant get a visa in a week?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. So when was all this announced? Flying in a week today, and only just read about it. We spend about three to four months a year in Thailand during foreign university downtime, when I'm not working.The missus and kids have Thai passports, so no problem there, but since I stopped working in Thailand about ten years ago, I've never bothered with a visa. We have a house not too far from the border, so I just take the 30 days on arrival and pop over the border fortnightly until it's time to leave.

Anyway, too late to do anything about it now. We'll just have to see what happens when we get there.

Not in Saudi Arabia you can't. They barely have diplomatic relations with Thailand. There's a kind of half-baked consulate (a mailing address basically) in Riyadh somewhere - and that's it. Getting a visa takes about a month. That's why I've never bothered.

Not in Saudi Arabia you can't. They barely have diplomatic relations with Thailand. There's a kind of half-baked consulate (a mailing address basically) in Riyadh somewhere - and that's it. Getting a visa takes about a month. That's why I've never bothered.

sounds like your first trip out should be to savannaket for a non -o

sounds like your first trip out should be to savannaket for a non -o

Well, as I say, we'll see what happens. I've been going over the same border checkpoint with and without a visa for 18 years, so unless they've suddenly changed all the staff........ If they have discretionary powers to refuse entry, I'm hoping they have the same discretionary power to just stick a stamp in a couple of times if I promise to get an O visa or whatever next time. But when was this all announced? When I was back in January nobody was talking about it.

As you are married to a Thai national, you can extend your stay in country once for 60 days - no matter which entry type (visa/ visa-exempt) for 1,900 baht.

Do at your nearest immigration office, check TV for requirements (I think your wife must accompany you).

Just a thought - you may have problems boarding a flight without a visa.

Edited by ParadiseLost

Credit to Thaivisa...for mentioning their sources!!

Something I find necessary to such an extend that it( source mentioning) has become the main reason to start reading a comment or publishment in the first place!

This is not only about the abuse of the visa system but also about deterring illegal working and identifying criminal elements, particularly those peddling drugs.

If you are a law abiding person then what is happening should hold no fears for you.

This is only what happens in Western countries in any case.

I am a law abiding person, upon whom this has a seriously worrying effect. There are many people in the same situation as me and we have never worked, peddled drugs or broken the law.

How will this work for the likes of people who work off-shore, and say come to thailand every 2nd month, and only require an entry stamp for the duration of their stay here?

It doesn't affect me, but im more curious than anything.

I do hope it helps sort out the illegals and the no hopers from coming/staying here, all in all it will contribute to a safer Thailand, again, i hope.

I know many foreigners who have made a life for themselves here- house, family, work. But they will have problems because of this. They are not criminals they are just stuck in a never ending trap. Given a chance they would help this country.

If, you have ever been in a typical Thai school you will know if your teaching English , a degree is worthless all that matters is wanting to make a difference.

How will this work for the likes of people who work off-shore, and say come to thailand every 2nd month, and only require an entry stamp for the duration of their stay here?

I do hope it helps sort out the illegals and the no hopers from coming/staying here, all in all it will contribute to a safer Thailand, again, i hope.

I know many foreigners who have made a life for themselves here- house, family, work. But they will have problems because of this. They are not criminals they are just stuck in a never ending trap. Given a chance they would help this country.

If, you have ever been in a typical Thai school you will know if your teaching English , a degree is worthless all that matters is wanting to make a difference.

Why would there be any problems for those people? If working they must have the right visa and work permit. So what's the problem then?

Why would there be any problems for those people? If working they must have the right visa and work permit. So what's the problem then?

youre joking right?

It doesn't seem to be affecting Lao citizens....yet. Two Lao friends of mine got their usual 30 day stamp in the last two days, with no indication that this was going to change.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Members of ASEAN basically get a free ride. wai.gif

Not true in the least bit, Vietnamese in particular have been mentioned regularly. And in my experience, they are subject to greater scrutiny than rich westerners or Japanese etc. For example, Vietnamese can not fly to Thailand without a return ticket and will ALWAYS be questioned about this when departing from Vietnam or some neighboring countries (except Myanmar, which doesn't care). Most westerners are not questioned.

Just recently there was some controversy about Vietnamese being forced to show 20,000 Baht and have their photograph taken with the money showing at Aranyaprathet immigration. A sign there also mentioned that Vietnamese (amongst others) will be targeted but most westerners will not be.

Filipinos can now no longer do multiple visa runs and may be prevented from doing any at all across to Cambodia and back.

Laotians have also been mentioned but being a direct neighboring country, they may attract less scrutiny unless they appear to be living on back-to-back tourist visas in Thailand with no clear purpose.

It doesn't seem to be affecting Lao citizens....yet. Two Lao friends of mine got their usual 30 day stamp in the last two days, with no indication that this was going to change.

Not true in the least bit, Vietnamese in particular have been mentioned regularly. And in my experience, they are subject to greater scrutiny than rich westerners or Japanese etc. For example, Vietnamese can not fly to Thailand without a return ticket and will ALWAYS be questioned about this when departing from Vietnam or some neighboring countries (except Myanmar, which doesn't care). Most westerners are not questioned.

Just recently there was some controversy about Vietnamese being forced to show 20,000 Baht and have their photograph taken with the money showing at Aranyaprathet immigration. A sign there also mentioned that Vietnamese (amongst others) will be targeted but most westerners will not be.

Filipinos can now no longer do multiple visa runs and may be prevented from doing any at all across to Cambodia and back.

Laotians have also been mentioned but being a direct neighboring country, they may attract less scrutiny unless they appear to be living on back-to-back tourist visas in Thailand with no clear purpose.

Very few, if any, Lao citizens living in Thailand are tourists or have visas. They live here legally by doing monthly in-out border runs and have been doing so for years.

Because many of them work outside Thailand.

Very few, if any, Lao citizens living in Thailand are tourists or have visas. They live here legally by doing monthly in-out border runs and have been doing so for years.

Sorry I meant back-to-back tourist visa exemptions. And as far as the Thai authorities are concerned, any non-citizen (whether Laotian or any other nationality) not working or studying in Thailand, basically anyone not in possession of a visa, even if appearing to live here, are classified as tourists. Light hearted immigration officers will ask if you live here and allow you to re-enter even if you are not in possession of a valid visa for your purpose of stay, the more grumpy ones will likely see you as something other than a tourist.

Doing monthly border runs is not illegal, but seems to be an abuse of the system.

I think going back to Laos for these runs will be seen as less of an abuse of the system because they are citizens of that country and when re-entering, will likely be seen as short term business visitors, tourists or other short term visitors (unless their travel history is scrutinized more closely). Anyway, just because not everyone has been questioned by immigration so far doesn't mean that they [Lao citizens] won't also be questioned sometime, as confirmed by reports here on TV, Bangkok Post and other sources. Time will tell.

I'm wondering if Lao citizens departing by air from Laos to Thailand are questioned about onward tickets. I recall that Thai visitors to Laos are requested to have onward or return tickets by check-in staff in Thailand, but Vietnamese passengers departing from Thailand to Laos by air may not be (western travelers either). I have also never been asked for an onward or return ticket when traveling by air from Laos to Thailand.This has been my experience when flying to/from Laos.

This is not only about the abuse of the visa system but also about deterring illegal working and identifying criminal elements, particularly those peddling drugs.

If you are a law abiding person then what is happening should hold no fears for you.

This is only what happens in Western countries in any case.

You're exactly right. Good points, well made.

Most of us having nothing to worry about

Nothing at all to worry about. I am looking forward to when they crack down on the real law breakers, those foriegners breaking the spirit of the Thai law

and owning property by various means. Seems a lot more serious than extending a holiday. We can all rejoice then.

Just kidding. We will never all rejoice.

People either break the law or they don't! It is black and white, the "spirit" of the law means nothing.

And you live where, in the house you bought your wife?

Sorry I meant back-to-back tourist visa exemptions. And as far as the Thai authorities are concerned, any non-citizen (whether Laotian or any other nationality) not working or studying in Thailand, basically anyone not in possession of a visa, even if appearing to live here, are classified as tourists. Light hearted immigration officers will ask if you live here and allow you to re-enter even if you are not in possession of a valid visa for your purpose of stay, the more grumpy ones will likely see you as something other than a tourist.

Doing monthly border runs is not illegal, but seems to be an abuse of the system.

I think going back to Laos for these runs will be seen as less of an abuse of the system because they are citizens of that country and when re-entering, will likely be seen as short term business visitors, tourists or other short term visitors (unless their travel history is scrutinized more closely). Anyway, just because not everyone has been questioned by immigration so far doesn't mean that they [Lao citizens] won't also be questioned sometime, as confirmed by reports here on TV, Bangkok Post and other sources. Time will tell.

I'm wondering if Lao citizens departing by air from Laos to Thailand are questioned about onward tickets. I recall that Thai visitors to Laos are requested to have onward or return tickets by check-in staff in Thailand, but Vietnamese passengers departing from Thailand to Laos by air may not be (western travelers either). I have also never been asked for an onward or return ticket when traveling by air from Laos to Thailand.This has been my experience when flying to/from Laos.

I agree that the situation is likely to change soon, or from 12 August. However, currently Lao passport holders are still getting their 30-day stamp at the Cambodian border to allow them to continue living in Thailand, or Pattaya/Chonburi/Rayong to be more specific.

Hi people,

I need your advice.

Monday 26th I will go to cambodia and will stay there for 1 week. The I like to come back to Thailand and stay another 3 weeks in Thailand. Then I will flight back home.

My passport is almost full. Space for a few stamps (no hole page but I have e-visa for cambodia)

After my last thai-tourist visa from cambodia i had one visa exemption (30days). Can I go back to Thailand for another 30 days visa exemption by land border crossing when I show my flight- ticket ?

How is the situation at border crossing had lek to cambodia?

Thanks in advance for your help

Tom

I prefer tourist visa but I really have no space in my passport !

I agree that the situation is likely to change soon, or from 12 August. However, currently Lao passport holders are still getting their 30-day stamp at the Cambodian border to allow them to continue living in Thailand, or Pattaya/Chonburi/Rayong to be more specific.

So you're talking about the Cambodian border? I was under the impression it was the Lao border, which is less strict. If anything, it would be better for Lao passport holders to start doing visa runs back to Laos.

Hi people,

I need your advice.

Monday 26th I will go to cambodia and will stay there for 1 week. The I like to come back to Thailand and stay another 3 weeks in Thailand. Then I will flight back home.

My passport is almost full. Space for a few stamps (no hole page but I have e-visa for cambodia)

After my last thai-tourist visa from cambodia i had one visa exemption (30days). Can I go back to Thailand for another 30 days visa exemption by land border crossing when I show my flight- ticket ?

How is the situation at border crossing had lek to cambodia?

Thanks in advance for your help

Tom

I prefer tourist visa but I really have no space in my passport !

You should be OK. Bring your e-ticket copy and/or itinerary and sufficient funds just in case. I think immigration are not unreasonable. If you talk to them and show them documents that suggest you are a legitimate traveller, they'll stamp you in for the normal period, not just 7 days. The ones getting only 7 days are the border runners with no proof to suggest they are traveling in Thailand as legitimate tourists.

So you're talking about the Cambodian border? I was under the impression it was the Lao border, which is less strict. If anything, it would be better for Lao passport holders to start doing visa runs back to Laos.

Cambodia is far more convenient for a monthly in-out border run for the hundreds of Lao citizens living in Bangkok, Pattaya and the surrounding cities.

• 4 weeks later...

Did another AirAisa visa run to KL last week,

Normally immigration don't speak when stamping the passport,

This time he said "You don't have a visa", I said "No"

He then stamped my passport and said "You have 30 days"

I could read that as "here you go, the normal 30 days exempt" or "you've got 30 days to sort your sh1t out, no more 30 days exempt"

Did another AirAisa visa run to KL last week,

Normally immigration don't speak when stamping the passport,

This time he said "You don't have a visa", I said "No"

He then stamped my passport and said "You have 30 days"

I could read that as "here you go, the normal 30 days exempt" or "you've got 30 days to sort your sh1t out, no more 30 days exempt"

You flew out from bangkok and came back the same day? how much were your costs? i'm needing to fly out too i think, as i have no other options .. stamp expires this saturday the 28th