Military Coup - Chiang Mai

kjhbigv

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All the international TV stations are shut down. Is the Internet next?

Could well be. I just heard a bbc 'news at ten' broadcast which would have had the current authority's hair stand on end - comments on it drove a coach and horses roughshod over the taboo of taboos.

Channel News Asia (184) on CTH is still showing mostly news about the coup but it's getting a bit repetitive. They say that Thai PBS is broadcasting via youtube. I assume that means they are just uploading video clips. All of the Thai stations are showing the same still logo and playing music.

Grin

^ An army official has just been on TV and said that if you have a ticket to fly the army will let you through, also if you have to go to hospital for an emergency.....how they are gonna tell if you really are ill or not I have no idea

• Like 1

I hear from several people that 10 pm the internet will go down..

This is plain silly. Do these several people have hotlines to the army commanders??? Personal phone lines? Coz everythign else is off, and they're not telling us in advance what they are doing, they are just doing it.

• Like 2

Don't panic! (How can I change the font to nice big friendly letters?)

Oops, just announced on the radio that all schools nationwide will be closed tomorrow. Until 25th.

(edited to add detail)

Edited by CMMCB

i think i'm going to go to the ATM and get some cash now. could be a run on the banks in the morning and ATM's could be empty.

Can you enlighten us why you think that? Is your reasoning that the baht may weaken or what? Makes no difference to a Thai unless they convert it to another currency.

If the ATM is empty, just go in the bank.

I don't think any Thai's are thinking the same, why would they?

• Like 1

This is plain silly. Do these several people have hotlines to the army commanders??? Personal phone lines? Coz everythign else is off, and they're not telling us in advance what they are doing, they are just doing it.

Someone said that it was broadcast on Australian TV, but with no exact shutdown time.

To watch CNN, or BBC, you can install the free (no ads) browser extension Hola:

https://hola.org/

And then select a proxy in the U.S., the UK, or elsewhere, and watch.

It's working as of right now using BBB. And BBC World, BBC 1, etc., and Sky News are coming through on ThaiExpatTV's streaming service.

~o:37;

• Like 1

No school tomorrow affects bangkok only or here as well? Kids are having a pre-celebratory dance so deciding to put them to sleep or not.

Announcement said "nationwide", but just heard that CMIS is still planning to be open. Nothing official.

Can't believe all the panic and speculation.Its just another coup,no 19, in fact.

Channel News Asia, to give them credit, has had

an excellent coverage with experienced journo's on the ground in Bangkok reporting live and while it might seem repetitive not everyone turns on and off at the same time.

As expected its the top news story on International media and there will be the usual travel warnings which countries do

to cover their own backsides ie "don't say you wern't warned.

People catching flights in Bangkok have been given passage and the airport is well guarded

No doubt in the coming days more will be revealed but people should just settle down.Running to banks etc is just ridiculous,I expect all shops,banks and businesses will be open tomorrow as normal.Maybe not schools as parents will have concerns.

• Like 2

To watch CNN, or BBC, you can install the free (no ads) browser extension Hola:

https://hola.org/

And then select a proxy in the U.S., the UK, or elsewhere, and watch.

It's working as of right now using BBB. And BBC World, BBC 1, etc., and Sky News are coming through on ThaiExpatTV's streaming service.

~o:37;

As long as they don't flick the switch on the Internet! blink.png

Both my internet lines went down for about 10 mins just now. I think there is a poss. it will get shut down at 10pm

Just saw some helicopters on the move and have heard numerous things. Big military briefing , something is afoot.

If you look at the main coup thread there were the same rumors about 9pm.

No school tomorrow affects bangkok only or here as well? Kids are having a pre-celebratory dance so deciding to put them to sleep or not.

Announcement said "nationwide", but just heard that CMIS is still planning to be open. Nothing official.

Update to this: CMIS not now planning to open, I'm hearing. Sorry for any confusion.

There is no way the internet could be turned off. Too much of global and local business relies on it to function, like banks, stores etc. And they do not want to disrupt too much of ordinary life. I remember that when the Dem govt was under siege they shut off ATMs and the resulting furore from the public got that decision changed fast. So maybe a few irritations for a few days is what we must expect.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1