Military Coup - Chiang Mai

kjhbigv

To watch CNN, or BBC, you can install the free (no ads) browser extension Hola:

https://hola.org/

And then select a proxy in the U.S., the UK, or elsewhere, and watch.

It's working as of right now using BBB. And BBC World, BBC 1, etc., and Sky News are coming through on ThaiExpatTV's streaming service.

~o:37;

A proxy is only useful if the website you want was blocking Thailand

That is quite different than Thailand shutting down all outgoing queries

At that point no proxy will help you.

Also no need for installing any free apps as long as internet is active.

If in fact internet outgoing from Thailand traffic is cut no app will help either.

Watch News Asia online no proxy/app etc needed.

Lots of Thailand coverage

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/tv/live

Edited by mania

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No school tomorrow affects bangkok only or here as well? Kids are having a pre-celebratory dance so deciding to put them to sleep or not.

Announcement said "nationwide", but just heard that CMIS is still planning to be open. Nothing official.

My son is a teacher at one of the CM international schools, he just called to check, his supervisor confirmed all schools primary / high school / govt/. / pvt / whatever are ordered closed 23 to 25 May inclusive.

Sounds inadvisable to challenge these orders.

Exchange rate and economy affects CM residents so I post this here is ok I think/ hope:

"""

"It's back to the old days," said Christopher Wong, senior investment manager at Aberdeen Asset Management Asia in Singapore. "Probably with the military coming in there's a bit more stability. There may be a knee-jerk reaction ... but as the dust settles it is probably back to normal."

Thailand's SET index closed before the coup announcement, ending 0.2 percent higher. The index is up 8 percent this year. The baht weakened to 32.54 to the dollar after the coup announcement, from 32.38 earlier.""

-excerpt from reuturs app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What gives, its not even 10 yet and they "boarded up" every window with newspaper and turned off all the lights at my local 7-11

Standard operating procedure, automatic thoughts / automatic precautions about looting. Cover the windows so potential looters can't see what's actually inside.

I'm not suggesting there is any reason to indicate that looting is likely to happen.

No school tomorrow affects bangkok only or here as well? Kids are having a pre-celebratory dance so deciding to put them to sleep or not.

Announcement said "nationwide", but just heard that CMIS is still planning to be open. Nothing official.

My son is a teacher at one of the CM international schools, he just called to check, his supervisor confirmed all schools primary / high school / govt/. / pvt / whatever are ordered closed 23 to 25 May inclusive.

Sounds inadvisable to challenge these orders.

Couldn't they have had the coup in the school holidays? Thai schools just gone back. Which army department is issuing refunds for school fees?

Channel News Asia (184) on CTH is still showing mostly news about the coup but it's getting a bit repetitive. They say that Thai PBS is broadcasting via youtube. I assume that means they are just uploading video clips. All of the Thai stations are showing the same still logo and playing music.

Grin

My Channel News Asia is down...bah.gif

Channel News Asia (184) on CTH is still showing mostly news about the coup but it's getting a bit repetitive. They say that Thai PBS is broadcasting via youtube. I assume that means they are just uploading video clips. All of the Thai stations are showing the same still logo and playing music.

Grin

Yep, screen was frozen when I went back to the TV.

Grin

Yep, screen was frozen when I went back to the TV.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/tv/live

can watch the same live online

• Like 1

Just got this in email from kids school:

""

There is no school tomorrow due to the political situation in Bangkok and the military force has announced that all schools in Thailand to be closed from May 23rd to May 25th, 2014.

We are sorry for this inconvenience and please stay safe at home.

""

Both my internet lines went down for about 10 mins just now. I think there is a poss. it will get shut down at 10pm

Just saw some helicopters on the move and have heard numerous things. Big military briefing , something is afoot.

Twelve inches is a foot :)

• Like 1

""

There is no school tomorrow due to the political situation in Bangkok and the military force has announced that all schools in Thailand to be closed from May 23rd to May 25th, 2014.

""

We should note that in fact it's not only schools, but all educational institutions. Colleges and Universities too.

UN Irish Pub (Foreign Owned) cancelled tonights pub quiz and closing early. Zoe Bar (Foreign Owned) not open at all. Yummy Pizza (Foreign Owned) closed early.

As I drove home at 9.30 pm all the Thai bars in full swing and showing little sign of closing.

Says it all really doesnt it?!

Probably a bit early for any noticeable change. I would imagine the curfew is fairly loose, unlike the curfew we had in Los Angeles in 1992 when the police said "anyone caught out on the streets after curfew will be shot on sight. Shoot now, ask questions later." They were serious about it.

"Los Angeles in 1992"

What's your point? You're just adding this for effect and to look as thought you know what you're talking about... right?

Yes, sorry to add this off-topic bit, but I lived in LA for a majority of my life and was certainly there during the riots. I don't remember hearing that, or seeing that, as (tens? of) thousands of people were out in the streets, for several nights. If any authorities were shooting them, the death rate seems like it would be a huge bit larger, than it was! Maybe things have built up in your memory a bit, with some time?? Have we ever had such a curfew, with shooting on sight, ever, in the US??

""

""

We should note that in fact it's not only schools, but all educational institutions. Colleges and Universities too.

Are you sure CMU will be closed? I looked at their site and shows no announcements but the CMIS site does have an announcement.

I'm not an expert but wasn't there some stink about shootings of survivors after Katrina. Mistook many for looters.

Probably a bit early for any noticeable change. I would imagine the curfew is fairly loose, unlike the curfew we had in Los Angeles in 1992 when the police said "anyone caught out on the streets after curfew will be shot on sight. Shoot now, ask questions later." They were serious about it.

"Los Angeles in 1992"

What's your point? You're just adding this for effect and to look as thought you know what you're talking about... right?

Yes, sorry to add this off-topic bit, but I lived in LA for a majority of my life and was certainly there during the riots. I don't remember hearing that, or seeing that, as (tens? of) thousands of people were out in the streets, for several nights. If any authorities were shooting them, the death rate seems like it would be a huge bit larger, than it was! Maybe things have built up in your memory a bit, with some time?? Have we ever had such a curfew, with shooting on sight, ever, in the US??

did

^ An army official has just been on TV and said that if you have a ticket to fly the army will let you through, also if you have to go to hospital for an emergency.....how they are gonna tell if you really are ill or not I have no idea

I think most emergencies would involve an accident and there would be some sign of it or pain could be showing through. Not any thing to worry about.

It is now 11:20PM so if this is posted it will mean no curfew for the internet yet.