Military Coup - Chiang Mai

kjhbigv

LATEST NEWS RE CHIANG MAI......According to CM Citynews this morning, (connected to City Life Magazine) and well respected, the curfew has NOT been lifted and remains 10pm til 5am. The article (you can find it online) says that fake documents have been made from papers relating to the 2006 coup suggesting that the curfew has changed to midnight until 4am., but that this is NOT the case.

The article goes on to say that dire final warnings have been issued to bars and clubs to adhere to the curfew or else big trouble!

Only reporting what I just read 5 minutes ago. Its all over Facebook as well. Please dont shoot the messenger on this one!!

Just taken from CityNews FB

Radio announcement: tomorrow curfew lifted(ish) from midnight to 4am. Better but still curfew...

https://www.facebook.com/citynewschiangmai?hc_location=timeline

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

City news article is a day out of date I think. They probably haven't up loaded the latest article on new times.

Bangkok post web site would be much more reliable source to trust in

Further update !! I think Citylife got this wrong (not for the first time!). Apparently its now reported on Thai National News, Bangkok Post and The Nation that its relaxed from today the 28th to Midnight until 4am.

I think we can take it that those sources more likely to be correct than Citylife. Great! Thursday Night Pub Quiz at the UN will presumably resume !!

LATEST NEWS RE CHIANG MAI......According to CM Citynews this morning, (connected to City Life Magazine) and well respected, the curfew has NOT been lifted and remains 10pm til 5am. The article (you can find it online) says that fake documents have been made from papers relating to the 2006 coup suggesting that the curfew has changed to midnight until 4am., but that this is NOT the case.

The article goes on to say that dire final warnings have been issued to bars and clubs to adhere to the curfew or else big trouble!

Only reporting what I just read 5 minutes ago. Its all over Facebook as well. Please dont shoot the messenger on this one!!

the article you are talking about is from yesterday. before the announcement late last night about it changing to midnight.

• Like 1

Over the weekend someone posted a jpg of a notice relaxing the curfew from 2008. This was widely circulated on the web and is what Citynews was referring to. This current notice of the curfew change was posted as a topic by whoever runs the news section of TV forum http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729627-the-ncpo-relaxes-curfew-from-tonight/ which gives me more confidence it is correct. If it's incorrect a lot of people are in for a surprise tonight.

Further update !! I think Citylife got this wrong (not for the first time!). Apparently its now reported on Thai National News, Bangkok Post and The Nation that its relaxed from today the 28th to Midnight until 4am.

I think we can take it that those sources more likely to be correct than Citylife. Great! Thursday Night Pub Quiz at the UN will presumably resume !!

When they posted it, it was correct. The news of the extension to midnight came after their article. Last night the police were still going around the night bazaar at 10pm telling people to pack up and go home.

Digging up this old topic from page 2 for some updates:

* Early evening I noticed a lot more soldiers around the moat, not near Thapae or Chang Phuak but the South-Eastern corner, say in between Chiang Mai Gate and the last U turn before Thapae. That remains a very worrying sight to tourists. :/

* Late at night though they were all gone. Possibly due to the rain that had started by then. No need for everyone to get wet.

* Very interesting development: Spicey club apparently plans 'lock-in' parties, just like the good old days in 1991.. If (and only *IF*) there are enough people inside to make it worthwhile they will stay open inside from midnight onwards during curfew hours, and then everyone can go home again after 4am. Now, for today ( a rainy mid-week day) the odds aren't too good, but this may come to fruitition on Friday or Saturday. Unless the curfew is lifted by then, which I kind of hope it won't be. ;)

• Like 1

I saw someone post on another site that the unit identification on some army vehicles has been obscured by sticking pieces of paper on the doors. I saw it myself yesterday when out buying lunch. A humvee went past with a piece of A4 stuck to the door over some identifying information. I haven't seen any explanation of why units might be doing that. Any ideas?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I saw someone post on another site that the unit identification on some army vehicles has been obscured by sticking pieces of paper on the doors. I saw it myself yesterday when out buying lunch. A humvee went past with a piece of A4 stuck to the door over some identifying information. I haven't seen any explanation of why units might be doing that. Any ideas?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Were the soldiers also camouflaged?