Military Coup - Chiang Mai

kjhbigv

Anyone seen anything to indicate a coup on the streets of CM tonight?

Yes, I saw a tuk tuk driver turn down a fare to Tiger Kingdom. All hell is breaking loose.

You may jest....BUT this has the potential to be a serious issue for CM. CM, as we know, is "homeland" for the "reds".....they are being held under martial law in their "homeland".....not the same scenario as last time!

In fact, why not go out for a few beers tonight and give us a report from the streets! wink.png

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably a bit early for any noticeable change. I would imagine the curfew is fairly loose, unlike the curfew we had in Los Angeles in 1992 when the police said "anyone caught out on the streets after curfew will be shot on sight. Shoot now, ask questions later." They were serious about it.

"Los Angeles in 1992"

What's your point? You're just adding this for effect and to look as thought you know what you're talking about... right?

Yes, sorry to add this off-topic bit, but I lived in LA for a majority of my life and was certainly there during the riots. I don't remember hearing that, or seeing that, as (tens? of) thousands of people were out in the streets, for several nights. If any authorities were shooting them, the death rate seems like it would be a huge bit larger, than it was! Maybe things have built up in your memory a bit, with some time?? Have we ever had such a curfew, with shooting on sight, ever, in the US??

People like to rewrite history. Like in 2010 if the Army had been firing live rounds the way some people talk there would have been a death toll in the thousands. Plus wounded

Do not worry, I will call Al Gore personally and ask him to keep the internet on!!!

We need a safe house. Who has the biggest house with a pool, plasma TV's, and spa?

Just use common sense out there. Go with your gut. Worst case, act dumb as if you have no clue what world this is. Then smile, walk away.

coffee1.gif

Just got this in email from kids school:

""

There is no school tomorrow due to the political situation in Bangkok and the military force has announced that all schools in Thailand to be closed from May 23rd to May 25th, 2014.

We are sorry for this inconvenience and please stay safe at home.

""

We should note that in fact it's not only schools, but all educational institutions. Colleges and Universities too.

Are you sure CMU will be closed? I looked at their site and shows no announcements but the CMIS site does have an announcement.

CMU and other universities are on an extended break until August to get their school calendars in-sync with the rest of the world. There are still professors and grad students doing research work, the Language Institute offering classes, and other things going on, but much of the university is in hibernation.

CMU and other universities are on an extended break until August to get their school calendars in-sync with the rest of the world. There are still professors and grad students doing research work, the Language Institute offering classes, and other things going on, but much of the university is in hibernation.

There is a summer session going on or was, I just was trying to figure out if I should go into work or not. Guess will go in and see. If not open, I have some shopping to do anyway. smile.png

There is a summer session going on or was, I just was trying to figure out if I should go into work or not. Guess will go in and see. If not open, I have some shopping to do anyway. smile.png

That was the last of the old schedule "summer sessions", finals for that ended last week (this is info I got from a grad student friend who is working non-stop trying to satisfy thesis adviser demands for more data). From the looks of the parking lot early Wednesday evening I assume the Language Institute has something going on.

I don't know what your job is, but if you were expected to work during this down time, you may be expected to be there tomorrow. I think your plan is a sound one.

• Like 1

That was the last of the old schedule "summer sessions", finals for that ended last week (this is info I got from a grad student friend who is working non-stop trying to satisfy thesis adviser demands for more data). From the looks of the parking lot early Wednesday evening I assume the Language Institute has something going on.

I don't know what your job is, but if you were expected to work during this down time, you may be expected to be there tomorrow. I think your plan is a sound one.

Thanks, sounds about right. I work primarily with graduate students, Masters/PhD, so may missed the undergrad session being out. So off to work I go.

rode around for a bit just past midnight. everything closed, even 7-11s, for the most part. soldiers riding in hummers and trucks (about 50 persons total) with what looked like m16s were making the rounds in the taphae/loh kroh area (to scan for open businesses, more than likely). passed right by tapae gate (inside the moat) and saw 3 soldiers standing with guns at the entrance. went through a makeshift checkpt outside the moat (in front of mcdonalds), not stopped, and about 10 old military guys were sitting around tables to the side.

lets hope this doesnt extend into the weekend...

Well here we are. The sun has come up, the birds are singing, it seems to be s little cooler and there is not one sign of a human being in the street. No sign of any internet disruption so at least we can read all the indignant mutterings from around the world. Maybe we are in for an interesting day. Good morning all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

NBA playoffs, Masterchef Australia finals week and the military jams EVERY channel on True Visions satellite service. Still now a poster screen for the "National Peace and Order Maintaining Council," is broadcast along with old patriotic songs.

It's really exasperating and frustrating. How long is this going to last, one wonders....

Well here we are. The sun has come up, the birds are singing, it seems to be s little cooler and there is not one sign of a human being in the street. No sign of any internet disruption so at least we can read all the indignant mutterings from around the world. Maybe we are in for an interesting day. Good morning all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think, even the all powerful army, will be hard put to knock off the internet. It would literally close down big business in Thailand - banks, the stock market, et all would just grind to a halt. Even the military need friends and they wouldn't want their natural allies turning on them. They might as well turn of the electricity. Facebook and twitter might not be so safe. Come to think of it, a world without Facebook might not be such a bad thing.

NBA playoffs, Masterchef Australia finals week and the military jams EVERY channel on True Visions satellite service. Still now a poster screen for the "National Peace and Order Maintaining Council," is broadcast along with old patriotic songs.

It's really exasperating and frustrating. How long is this going to last, one wonders....

i'm sure those in command are deeply sorry for disrupting your TV watching schedule this weekend. buy a book.

who comes to live in a foreign country to sit around and watch television???

I came for the soapies. Only in Thailand can you get soapies like these. Now no soapies, how sad.

There are a lot of retired folks here. They are not out touring Thai temples and playing takraw every day.

sepak-takraw.jpg

Might be time to change that George Orwell tag U.G.

To watch CNN, or BBC, you can install the free (no ads) browser extension Hola:

https://hola.org/

And then select a proxy in the U.S., the UK, or elsewhere, and watch.

It's working as of right now using BBB. And BBC World, BBC 1, etc., and Sky News are coming through on ThaiExpatTV's streaming service.

~o:37;

Thanks for the heads up on https://hola.org/ I never heard of that site before. :-)

i'm sure those in command are deeply sorry for disrupting your TV watching schedule this weekend. buy a book.

Well I would like to watch a few programs.

But unless you pay a large fee there is not that much to see.

Went about my normal business today.

laundry, a bit of shopping ect.

All i can see is normal routine. Just an extra day off.

I did notice a truck full of soldiers last night.

and the streets/bars were empty by 9:45 PM.

other than that, no difference from any other day.

As long as they get TV back on before the World Cup starts i don't give a toss about what they do !

Yes I agree although I'm already toying with the idea of heading back to England just to watch the games at a respectable hour.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No school tomorrow affects bangkok only or here as well? Kids are having a pre-celebratory dance so deciding to put them to sleep or not.

My friends who are teachers in CM tell me the schools are closed here for three days.