BANGKOK 19 March 2019 13:20
george

Update the map on Toyota built-in GPS - quoted 34,000 Baht

We obviously have completly different units ... I have a 2013 Fortuner ...

My GPS is 100% crap and useless ...

The "Settings" consists of two "Screens":

There are no avoidance, or any other navigation settings at all !

I'll be happy to meet you and show it to you !

As You Can see the choices are very limited ...

Luudee

I had no idea the units were so differant! So sometime after 2010 Toyota seem to have taken a step backwards regarding their Sat. Nav. units.

Here is a picture of my unit. You can see the small door on the left to insert the SD card.

post-57434-0-91328000-1401946937_thumb.j

Hello.

I am an owner of a Toyota Fortuner "Navigator" 2012 mod. with Tomtom map installed in the built-in Pioneer entertainment unit.

The Tomtom map is old and useless, so I downloaded Garmin Street Pilot Thailand to my iphone and it works!

I have asked Toyota many times about an update but they told me that they are waiting for Tomtom and new updates will

be released every two years?

Then I contacted Toyota main office in Bangkok and they could tell me that it is a new release;

THE PRICE: 10,000 THB up !!! I do not pay 10,000 for a thing that is working badly anyway !!!

When I compare Garmin with Tomtom, I will say that Tomtom has a lot to learn from Garmin.

I am very disappointed with Tomtom and Toyota.

So, my next step: I will try to change the map application from Tomtom to Garmin.

Is there anyone who can give me a recommendation about this?

In forehand, thanks.

@pronjan

I wish you the best of luck trying to find if it's possible to change the Maps to Garmin, which I think would mean that Toyota / Tom Tom allows access to the Internal programs of the Navigator.

Safe yourself the headache IMHO and just don't use the Navigator, but just by a Garmin GPS (link: http://www.gpssociety.com/EN/Pages/product.aspx) and be happy

Good Luck

Thanks MJCM.

Yes, I have been thinking about the same; buy a new Garmin unit.

Two problems:

- I can not find a Garmin with larger screen than 5"

- I do not like to buy expensive things that is not working. It is a shame on Toyota !!!!

I haven't seen Gps around with screens bigger then 5"

Suggestion, don't know if it is possible (just an idea).

As you are looking for a screen larger then 5", why not use an IPad (mini?) or an Android tablet with GPS?

It would also need a Sim Card (for the Data Connection) and also need the Navigation software (downloadable from the App/Play store). You can then go as big as you want

Good Luck

Edited by MJCM

Garmin does have several 7 inch models, but they may not be for sale in Thailand.

I think those are meant for truck drivers (and are supposed to be paired with maps that won't route 18-wheelers down small roads; the stories you hear of trucks getting stuck on narrow roads are often the result of truck drivers using car GPSes)

We're considering cashing in our 7 year old Toyota truck and buying a new one later in the year. Given that we already have an ipad, a Galaxy Tab S, and two large screen smartphones.....the smartphones are with us all the time and we can tether their 3G to the tablets if necessary. Is there an option to opt out of a built-in navigator on a top end truck/car here? I'm guessing not......but doesn't hurt to ask.

My 2013 Vigo G with Navi is useless,Bangkok to Kanchanaburi it wanted to take me nearly to Hua Him,an extra 50K. It will get to your destination, eventually!!!.

I'm using my Garmin 42 instead,its great but its the only model that can't save routes. I shouldn't have bothered with the Navi,waste of money.

Was glad my Subaru xv had a nice Kenwood head unit with built in Garmin GPS! I would never bother with dealer branded GPS, they are all crap.

I have a bunch of maps in my car and use a handheld GPS fixed to my dash...in case I get lost, or to find alternative routes.....love both....and yes I'm a off-road er.... and it is a lot safer to follow a arrow on a GPS than watch for details on a map. the GPS can be seen from the corner of the eye....and you can still focus on the road....

Edited by off road pat
  • Like 1

we bought new mercedes c250, it came without SD card

dealer asks for SD cards 25 000 (GARMIN)

so for update 34k seems like scam

i bought a map from Jiffy 160 Baht works very well

do you have to take your eyes off the road to follow 'jiffy' or do you have a permanant co-driver like a rally driver

just checked on my speednavi page and as previously posted updates are free for the first year and then 900 baht,