Thai coup leader disbands Senate, assumes law-making power

george

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He's cutting out the cancer piece by piece.

He is consolidating power, simple as that.

Long time before you will see any elections here now!

He already hinted at the beginning that election would not happen before 24 months from now.

Wow 2 years? That's a long time. He will surely put in place a non partisan government for the interim period.

He's cutting out the cancer piece by piece.

He is consolidating power, simple as that.

Long time before you will see any elections here now!

He already hinted at the beginning that election would not happen before 24 months from now.

Wow 2 years? That's a long time. He will surely put in place a non partisan government for the interim period.

Um! Never heard a non-partisan government with the exception of a dictatorship that executes all decent (and therefore any partisanship)

• Like 2

I have a feeling that there is much more to this coup, and today's consolidation of power, than we are being told. sad.png

and you are surprised you weren't informed beforehand because....?.........

• Like 1

Could get uglier.

Promises are being broken. Big Wigs from all sides are being disenfranchised. Don't assume that every faction in the Army is unified. Someone's enemy is now their friend.

I smell a counter-coup over the horizon ...... be safe.

• Like 2

Senate dissolved, police chief sacked

BANGKOK: -- The Senate was dissolved on Saturday evening and more senior officials including the national police chief removed as coup leader Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha consolidated power.

The dissolution of the Senate means that all parliamentary authority rests with the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) headed by the army chief.

Gen Prayuth announced that he had taken over the authority of the House and the Senate for the time being in case any actions required parliamentary approval.

The NCPO also announced on Saturday evening that Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew had been moved to an inactive post in the Prime Minister's Office.

Also moved to inactive posts were Tarit Pengdith, the head of the Department of Special Investigation, and Nipat Thonglek, the permanent secretary of the Defence Ministry. Both men had been seen as loyalists to the ousted government and former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Pol Gen Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit, the deputy national police chief, has been named the acting police chief. Pol Gen Chatchawal Suksomjit, another deputy national police chief, has been put in charge of the DSI, and Gen Surasak Kanjanarat, deputy permanent secretary for defence, has been named the defence permanent secretary.

-- Bangkok Post 2014-05-24

The problem is that by making it impossible to select a representative government, by cracking down on decent etc, pushing along regional ethnic divisions - the only outcome for a long unrepresentative government will just make it more likely of an insurgency or separatist movements to take hold.... Once the dream is created it is dam hard to go back.

• Like 2

Wow, the guy is really showing his colors, ain't he? A dictator of his ilk won't stand much longer for a free flow of information and public expression of opinion on the internet. But I guess that would come after the shuttering of the judicial branch of gov't.? I'm afraid our days are numbered.

I'm not going to comment on the Senate until the details and reasons become clear - General Prayuth needs to be careful he doesn't completely alienate himself from everyone - I'm pretty sure he has reason for doing this - I could guess but lets wait and see

I expected the Police Chief and Tarit move earlier than it happened - in fact I expected them to be arrested but maybe that will come later as evidence becomes clearer

Well it least he is beginning to look at paying the farmers. This is a priority that should give him some kudos. The General needs to be seen neutral in this approach. By abolishing the senate and the constitution he can act in a way that can't have much come back on him.

This one caught me by surprise -- it looked as though he was going to let it stand since a large number of them were appointed by the right people. I guess he wants people that do exactly what he says. Lets see if he has them report and locks the senators up. Don't like coups at all - but if he actually cracks down on all corruption equally I would change my mind.

I would hazard a guess and say his only interest in corruption is his interest in corruption. He's in for the long spell; Burma took how many years to overthrow their junta?

The problem is that by making it impossible to select a representative government, by cracking down on decent etc, pushing along regional ethnic divisions - the only outcome for a long unrepresentative government will just make it more likely of an insurgency or separatist movements to take hold.... Once the dream is created it is dam hard to go back.

Are you suggesting that this move is calculated to ignite the emotions of common folk, that have had six consecutive elections overturned, to react in order to provide justification for militarily neutralizing them in the shadows of press blackouts before they get too organized?

• Like 2