Thai coup leader disbands Senate, assumes law-making power

george

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What does the CC say about these changes? Does the CC still exist without a constitution?

Aside from Section 2, there is nothing left for the CC to rule upon.

But now that I think about it, I wonder if Prayuth left Section 2 intact to preserve the CC.

Wow, the guy is really showing his colors, ain't he? A dictator of his ilk won't stand much longer for a free flow of information and public expression of opinion on the internet. But I guess that would come after the shuttering of the judicial branch of gov't.? I'm afraid our days are numbered.

ll these branches worth nothing anyway. may be some right decision will be made now

Many TVF posters expressed last weeks their wish to have Suthep off the streets. Later funny remarks about YL being detained. And worries about beer- and/or internet supply since a coup was a fact. Now you see what screws this country for decades and obstructs normal reform and development of a society wishing democracy. The Army. Which at any time rules out any civilised behavior and stands 'above the law'. Just detaining people/parents and paralyse 100% what people aim and fight for. Medieval.

• Like 2

brewsterbudgen, on 24 May 2014 - 20:58, said:
uty6543, on 24 May 2014 - 20:51, said:
brewsterbudgen, on 24 May 2014 - 20:46, said:

Hmmm. Not many on here defending the coup now are there?

I don't understand why the general has taken over the senate but I trust he is doing what has to be done for the good of the country and the people.

I salute your faith, but I fear your trust is misplaced.

Maybe you should salute his trust, but you fear his faith is misplaced.

Many TVF posters expressed last weeks their wish to have Suthep off the streets. Later funny remarks about YL being detained. And worries about beer- and/or internet supply since a coup was a fact. Now you see what screws this country for decades and obstructs normal reform and development of a society wishing democracy. The Army. Which at any time rules out any civilised behavior and stands 'above the law'. Just detaining people/parents and paralyse 100% what people aim and fight for. Medieval.

PDRC, TV anti-Thaksinistas, Suthepistas and Yellows wanted reforms, out with YS, block elections and abolish the government, senators, the house et al.

You clamored, ranted and wished it:. There you have it and then some.

Are you guys happy now?

yes thank you very much...form an orderly queue at swampy ..

Every two days this past week we've had a surprise-Tuesday declaration of martial law, Thursday coup, and today Saturday dissolve Senate, and dump DSI chief and police chief...what's in store for Monday?

A rainy day.

• Like 2

What he's doing can possibly work for the short term. But after a few weeks, people will be waving their special interest flags. He's put himself in a Solomonic position, where he makes final decisions on all important issues. There are deep pitfalls in doing that. Even when Thailand has a semi-functioning government, there is hassling overevery bit of legislation. I hope the general keeps a cool heart (jai yen), because there will be big challenges in the upcoming weeks and months. It's hard to herd cats.

Well it least he is beginning to look at paying the farmers.

The reason the farmers haven't gotten paid, is because (from what we've been told) there isn't the money to pay them. The program was fatally flawed from the outset. Where is the general going to find the billions of baht to pay them? I tell you where he won't get the money: from cutting back on military salaries, ha ha. And you can bet he won't be cutting back military expenditures.

• Like 1

If it fails to work, this place will become cheaper to retire to tongue.png

Perhaps, but it may not be worth it at any cost. Plan on retiring to North Korea? It's really cheap there, but don't plan on living like a king. Gen Chan-ocha had better not kill the goose.

Tin Pot Dictator.

When the people find out what he's done they will be very, very upset.

This is the first coup ever in Thailand where the coup maker hasnt met with HM on live TV to ask for approval.

As has been highlighted, this Junta did not display the Thai flag, or Royal images, just a slogan about the challenges a soldier, during their initial declaration.

post-9615-0-19506800-1400939107_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 2

Think the plan is to put the "right" people for 100% in the Senate.

All Army friendly ofcourse.

Coup de luxe!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The plan is like always: 3 steps forward (the population). 5 steps back (The Army + elite). Government wise Thailand is in year 2257.

There is real opposition on the streets, personally witnessed. Despite their armoured cars and tanks and guns, they may not be able to take away our sons this time. Could this be one coup too many. I pray for peace with justice.

You are full of hot air and little else.

Your sons?

BS

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Well this came as a surprise to me, having seen 2 previous coups.

Can only go 1 of 2 ways:

1. FULL dictatorship, very unlikely in these days, but stranger things are known to happen.

2. An honest attempt of the general to make some real changes in Thailand, which are needed.

Time will tell

• Like 1

ppmacready, on 24 May 2014 - 21:39, said:
Franco governed for 36 years in Spain.
Ending when he died in 1975

Meanwhile the opposing team became educated.
It wont matter what this General does.
It doesn't matter how long it takes.
History shows us, that one day in the future the ''people '' always win!

'' Power concedes nothing without a demand.

It never did and it never will.''
''Nobody in the world, nobody in history, has ever gotten their freedom by appealing to the moral sense of the people who were oppressing them.''

Yeah, tell it to the Russians. !!!

• Like 1

Well it least he is beginning to look at paying the farmers. This is a priority that should give him some kudos. The General needs to be seen neutral in this approach. By abolishing the senate and the constitution he can act in a way that can't have much come back on him.

And just where exactly will the Army get the cash to pay the farmers? If the elected government couldn't scrape the cash together, what makes you think that the Army will be able to?

there is way to this than meets the eye.../// the powers that Really be here are making things work .. I thought in the coup of 2006 they army needed the big guys ok

do they need it now?

hmmm

I can see the commander being replaced before long a coup within a coup the fan is picking up speed and the S - - T is heading towards it . We have already witnessed discontent on the streets of Bangkok today they in turn will get bigger day by day week by week I for one was hoping that an announcement for new elections would be announced in the next couple of days how foolish I was to think that would happen.

This is the first coup ever in Thailand where the coup maker hasnt met with HM on live TV to ask for approval.

No joke, its true. Was in The Nation and Bangkok Post today.

Both Bangkok P. but even more the Nation. Recycling paper without even reading it. Objectivity: not available.