Government To Spend 1,000 Million Baht On Publicizing Tourism

Jai Dee

Government to spend 1,000 million baht on publicizing tourism

The government will spend over 1,000 million baht to publicize tourism following continuous growth in the business after the celebration on the 60th Anniversary of His Majesty the King’s Accession to the Throne.

Deputy Prime Minister Suwat Liptapanlop (สุวัจน์ ลิปตพัลลภ ) said that the visits of Royal guests to many areas of Thailand are deemed a good opportunity for Thailand to boost its tourism and economy as well.

He said that the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will use this occasion to constantly publicize tourism and that the government is considering the budget for the campaign.

The budget request is expected to be proposed to the cabinet meeting within 2 weeks.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 June 2006

1 billion.

ya stole MY line... :D

I thought I was the official English-language helper for TNNBPRD headlines... :D

I know I was a bit tardy with this one but I was indisposed looking up information on, coincidentally enough :D , SBK's reference to the National Park fee doubling... oh well... guess I'll just have to settle for the great addition I made to that thread... :o

*edit*

Upon further reflection, with the volume of traffic they generate and the amount of need they help, there's certainly room for more than one helper for TNNBPRD.... :D

Edited by sriracha john

More paint does not fix the problem.

Sure it does, just ask your local Thai trades man.

Have crack in wall – here is paint.

Have crack in foundation – here is paint.

Have crack in head – welcome to Thailand government office.

sbk – Now that’s a lot of visits to National Parks

Perhaps they should spend some of that money cleaning up the problems that cause a lot of tourists to stay away. You already know what I talk about.

Are you kidding me, haven't you seen all the pretty flowers they placed out along Sukhumvit – being that it was one of the routs many of the foreign dignitaries took while passing thru town. In Thailand they rarely “clean” anything – they cover everything – please see painting post above.

Please note flowers are potted to allow for easy removal once they die.

How much will a feasibilty study cost to decide on hiring a few bright sparks to run the tourism arm of the country? :o

So you want to do that, too? Probably ought to see if we can't get that proposed budget increased to 1,250 million baht. :D

I stopped going to the TAT for information years ago. Seems like they generally know less about an area or an upcoming event than I do.

Edited by ovenman

I dont think the word "audit" appears in any Thai company... ever.

If they want to create a better tourism market, they need to clean up the countries image, something that IMHO money will not fix, this is a band aid solution at best.

I dont think the word "audit" appears in any Thai company... ever.

If they want to create a better tourism market, they need to clean up the countries image, something that IMHO money will not fix, this is a band aid solution at best.

The tax department does audits on companies all the time - esp. foreign-run companies - "audit" is a feared word in 'certain' circles.

More paint does not fix the problem.

Sure it does, just ask your local Thai trades man.

Have crack in wall – here is paint.

Have crack in foundation – here is paint.

Have crack in head – welcome to Thailand government office.

sbk – Now that’s a lot of visits to National Parks

..and not forgetting the cracks in the new runways......tourists will really appreciate that :o

penzman

Today, 2006-06-16 09:43:54

sriracha john

post Today, 2006-06-16 10:31:42

Get to the office earlier. Traffic this morning? :o

Yes, there was quite a bit between the bedroom and living room... but the real delay was getting down to the sign-making shop to pick one up the one for the office door:

signcopy.jpg

I thought they did a nice job with it.

An audit on productivity within the TAT would be a great start. How much will a feasibilty study cost to decide on hiring a few bright sparks to run the tourism arm of the country? :o

Not a bad idea, after all, TRT have hired bright sparks from abroad in the past which gave a huge boost to their political campaigns. :D

1 billion.

:D1.000 Million 'looks' more than 1 billion.... :D many Thai won't probably even know what exactly 1 billion is... :o

LaoPo

I'm surpris(z?)ed I feel the need to mention this, but there is a difference in our homelands' respective interpretations of this term, "billion."

In the UK (and I don't know where else), it means a million million (what we 'muricans would call a trillion) (1,000,000,000,000).

The US, as well as (to my understanding) Australia, Canada, Thailand (so my students say), and possibly the rest of the civiliz(s?)ed Anglophonic world would concur with Penzman, sriracha john, and me, and consider 1 billion as 1000 million (1,000,000,000).

It's a can of worms I tend to avoid in my classroom, as the concept of two people who share the same language, upon hearing the same word, might not be thinking the same thought makes the little angels' (angles'?) brains hurt and is in general mai sanuk maak.

Carry on. :D

jb

Don't forget that these same numb nuts pissed away 300 million baht on this little gemThailand Longstay Program

Maybe they should start by paying the bill for this little touristy web site Suvarnabhumi Airport

P

"numb nuts"

:o

:D

sorry, it's been quite awhile since I heard that term... :D

of course, there was never a more accurate definition of that phrase than TAT

:D

Edited by sriracha john