Banker Fighting Extradition To Thailand Says Canada Is Full Of "idiots"

Jai Dee

Banker fighting extradition to Thailand says Canada is full of "idiots"

VANCOUVER (CP) - A fugitive banker fighting extradition to Thailand for a decade because his lawyers say he fears torture says Canada is full of "unintelligent idiots," he doesn't want to stay here and he isn't really worried about his future.

Rakesh Saxena is currently in jail awaiting a last-ditch appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada to stop his extradition.

He said Thursday he regrets coming to Canada to fight allegations by the Thai government that he embezzled $88 million from a Bangkok bank.

In a phone interview from a Fraser Valley pre-trial centre, Saxena pointed out courts in Britain and Australia have thrown out similar allegations against others accused by the Thai government.

"In hindsight, I picked the wrong country," he said.

"I didn't want to live in Canada, it's the last place, it's full of unintelligent idiots," said the man who's spent much of the last decade living in a luxury Vancouver condo under a unique house-arrest arrangement.

When it was pointed out that Canadian taxpayers have likely spent many millions in court and legal fees processing his extradition, Saxena said "that's because of the stupidity of your government."

Christian Girouard, spokesman for the Department of Justice, said the Canadian government had no choice but to move the extradition process forward.

"We act as lawyers at the request of the other country, they're sort of like our client," he said. "Technically, it's not the government of Canada asking for the extradition. We're doing it because we have treaty obligations."

Even if he is forced to return to Thailand, Saxena said he's not worried about being tortured, even though that's what his lawyer told the B.C. Court of Appeal.

"All that (is) rubbish! You know my kids have been living there (in Thailand) for 10 years," he laughed.

"My family still lives there. People, I think, have just got the wrong impression."

Saxena said the charges against him in Thailand have expired and he can't be tried there.

He said his lawyers in Thailand have asked that country's highest court to throw out the charges against him, allegations he said he is innocent of.

But he still doesn't want to return for other reasons.

"Because I was involved in politics, it would upset peoples lives. I've been cut off there. I've forgotten about it. If I go back, everything is going to be raked up again."

He wouldn't elaborate.

Saxena said he would prefer to be living in Prague or somewhere in central Europe.

He was arrested in Whistler in 1996 by police acting on an extradition request from Thailand.

The Thai government blames Saxena for the collapse of the Bangkok Bank of Commerce, saying his $88-million embezzlement led to a run on deposits.

In March, a judge ordered Saxena be detained in jail while he waits for the Supreme Court of Canada decision.

Source: Canadian Press - Thursday, June 15, 2006

He's been here for so long because those "idiots" wrote a constitution that protected him as a member of a minority. There are few Canadians, except his lawyer who can retire after this 10 year money grab, support his stay in the country. Unfortunately, we give everyone equality under the law when it comes to deportations, even criminal ashholes like this. This Leach has milked the system and used every avenue at his disposal to stay here. Now we have finally seen the light and are waiting to throw his ass on a plane, at our expense, and wave a fond farewell.

When it was pointed out that Canadian taxpayers have likely spent many millions in court and legal fees processing his extradition, Saxena said "that's because of the stupidity of your government."

yes , its always gratifying to hear the thanks given to ones country by foreigners who have been only too happy to take advantage of the hospitality , benefits and protections made freely available to all under the laws and constitutions.

Rakesh Saxena is currently in jail awaiting a last-ditch appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada to stop his extradition.

If the Supreme Court rules against him, a recommended book for Mr. Saxena's prison reading list:

How to Win Friends and Influence People written by Dale Carnegie.

Tip 1: Don't call people "idiots" that you are trying to court (pun intended) favor from.

Definite cantidate to read "how to win friends & influence people"

"I didn't want to live in Canada, it's the last place, it's full of unintelligent idiots," said the man who's spent much of the last decade living in a luxury Vancouver condo under a unique house-arrest arrangement.

"Because I was involved in politics, it would upset peoples lives. I've been cut off there. I've forgotten about it. If I go back, everything is going to be raked up again."

He wouldn't elaborate.

Saxena said the charges against him in Thailand have expired and he can't be tried there.

For him they will make an exception

For him they will make an exception

Maybe he'll have remorse once he gets back to Thailand and use that time tested method of suicide, the single shot to the back of the head. He couldn't do it in Canada because we have gun control...LOL

Edited by lukamar

It is interesting to compare his 10 year fight against extradition with some recent cases where foreigners in Thailand, have just "been handed over to Embassy officials".

I think he should be glad he is living in Canada.

Rakesh, I remember Banharn's quote of a Thai proverb that when you are faced with an Indian and a snake, hit the Indian first as he's more tricky and cunning.

Rakesh was involved with the BBC bank scandal which involved several leading politicians and business people at the time setting up phoney companies to obtain loans from the bank which were never repaid. Poor quality land, vastly overvalued, was often used as collateral.

Rakesh always claimed if he was sent back to Thailand he would be murdered because involved in the dubious loans were several members of the so called group of 16, a bunch of young politicians who had formed a sort of loose faction, though what united them apart from greed was never clear.

If I remember rightly amongst the leading lights were Newin Chidcharp, presently Thaksin's right hand man and Suchart Damjarern, ex Deputy House-Speaker.

Rakesh claims the statue of limitations has expired but what is almost certainly true is he has a lot of dirt and info which could possibly harm current figures, he could disappear, by magic as it were.

Regarding Banharn, like the Democrats many ex Chart Thai MPs are suffering due to no salary, apparently the old fox has told the party faithful he can't afford to pay them now, he has no money! But if they hang on to the next election, they'll be alright.

But some can't wait, no doubt that explains 2 recent defections to TRT.

yes , its always gratifying to hear the thanks given to ones country by foreigners who have been only too happy to take advantage of the hospitality , benefits and protections made freely available to all under the laws and constitutions.

Hear, hear, TAX- EXILE :o:D:D

Rakesh, I remember Banharn's quote of a Thai proverb that when you are faced with an Indian and a snake, hit the Indian first as he's more tricky and cunning.

Rakesh was involved with the BBC bank scandal which involved several leading politicians and business people at the time setting up phoney companies to obtain loans from the bank which were never repaid. Poor quality land, vastly overvalued, was often used as collateral.

Rakesh always claimed if he was sent back to Thailand he would be murdered because involved in the dubious loans were several members of the so called group of 16, a bunch of young politicians who had formed a sort of loose faction, though what united them apart from greed was never clear.

If I remember rightly amongst the leading lights were Newin Chidcharp, presently Thaksin's right hand man and Suchart Damjarern, ex Deputy House-Speaker.

Rakesh claims the statue of limitations has expired but what is almost certainly true is he has a lot of dirt and info which could possibly harm current figures, he could disappear, by magic as it were.

Regarding Banharn, like the Democrats many ex Chart Thai MPs are suffering due to no salary, apparently the old fox has told the party faithful he can't afford to pay them now, he has no money! But if they hang on to the next election, they'll be alright.

But some can't wait, no doubt that explains 2 recent defections to TRT.

An Old story from Asia Week

FORMER THAI PREMIER AND Chart Thai party leader Banharn Silapa-archa has denied receiving $4 million in bribes from the fraud-plagued (and now closed) Bangkok Bank of Commerce. His accuser is the India-born, Canada-based fugitive financier Rakesh Saxena, 46, the key suspect in the alleged embezzlement of millions of dollars from the bank before its collapse in 1996 (see Asiaweek's INSIDE STORY, July 31, 1998). According to Saxena, the alleged bribes to Banharn were intended for vote-buying in the 1995 election, which he won. One possible reason for Saxena to repeat the accusation, which he made a few years ago, is that he wants to prevent his imminent extradition to Bangkok, where he is wanted in connection with the embezzlement scandal. Saxena, whose three-year extradition trial in Canada is in its final stages, claims he is a scapegoat and that he will be denied proper justice in Thailand. Not that Banharn appears to be eager to have him back home. Though Chart Thai members have challenged Saxena to come back and face charges, Banharn may not want to see some of his present and former party colleagues - allegedly key figures in the downfall of the bank - hauled up in court.

He should have gone to Brazil found a mia noi and had a child, as Brazil will not extradite the parent of a Brazilian citizen for any reason. Plus Brazil had lots of sun, great beaches, Carnival, beautiful women and decent football ...:o

VANCOUVER (CP) - A fugitive banker fighting extradition to Thailand for a decade because his lawyers say he fears torture says Canada is full of "unintelligent idiots," he doesn't want to stay here and he isn't really worried about his future.

He said Thursday he regrets coming to Canada to fight allegations by the Thai government that he embezzled $88 million from a Bangkok bank.

In a phone interview from a Fraser Valley pre-trial centre, Saxena pointed out courts in Britain and Australia have thrown out similar allegations against others accused by the Thai government.

Christian Girouard, spokesman for the Department of Justice, said the Canadian government had no choice but to move the extradition process forward.

"We act as lawyers at the request of the other country, they're sort of like our client," he said. "Technically, it's not the government of Canada asking for the extradition. We're doing it because we have treaty obligations."

Even if he is forced to return to Thailand, Saxena said he's not worried about being tortured, even though that's what his lawyer told the B.C. Court of Appeal.

"All that (is) rubbish! You know my kids have been living there (in Thailand) for 10 years," he laughed.

"My family still lives there. People, I think, have just got the wrong impression."

He said his lawyers in Thailand have asked that country's highest court to throw out the charges against him, allegations he said he is innocent of.

But he still doesn't want to return for other reasons.

He wouldn't elaborate.

Saxena said he would prefer to be living in Prague or somewhere in central Europe.

He was arrested in Whistler in 1996 by police acting on an extradition request from Thailand.

The Thai government blames Saxena for the collapse of the Bangkok Bank of Commerce, saying his $88-million embezzlement led to a run on deposits.

In March, a judge ordered Saxena be detained in jail while he waits for the Supreme Court of Canada decision.

Source: Canadian Press - Thursday, June 15, 2006

I'll refrain from comment on the title of the thread :o

but 88 million baht (even at 25 baht/USD) would not bankrupt a bank or a country ....