Made a fish tank into a pool

canuckamuck

Great idea !!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Sorry no advice as to supplies or maintenance ....But I am thinking of putting in a small in-ground pool so I will be watching this thread with interest. There are also MANY other threads about pools that may help you (helped me ....and gave me ideas). Since you've posted in the swimming pool thread I assume you've seen them.

few questions ....with the pool being so shallow....how hot does the water get (have you tried throwing in Blocks of Ice)??? And does the shade screen help (assume it does)?

Edited by beachproperty

The pool has never failed to be refreshing. We do live at 700 meters altitude though, so in the city it might get hotter. The shade cloth does help, especially with keeping the water from getting green. I know this because there was a few weeks there where the cloth was removed. The more shade the better I would say.

in hindsight i wish I could have started from scratch on this one. the high walls are obviously a problem for getting in and out, as well as for visibility.

I would love to do an in ground version of the same thing. But I got the pool I got, and I accept that.

Well done on what looks to be an intuitive and successful mini swimming pool solution!

With all the use it's getting it's very important to take care of the sanitation and the pH level.

A simple floating chlorine dispenser for chlorine tablets is the answer, and a small supply of tablets. A test kit will also tell if you need to add pH Plus or pH Minus. Kept in the corect parameters, the chlorine should not be noticeable.

We sell everything you need online and such products usually get 'same-day shipping'. Sent by Thai Post EMS, you would receive them in 2 days.

• Like 1

Well done on what looks to be an intuitive and successful mini swimming pool solution!

With all the use it's getting it's very important to take care of the sanitation and the pH level.

A simple floating chlorine dispenser for chlorine tablets is the answer, and a small supply of tablets. A test kit will also tell if you need to add pH Plus or pH Minus. Kept in the corect parameters, the chlorine should not be noticeable.

We sell everything you need online and such products usually get 'same-day shipping'. Sent by Thai Post EMS, you would receive them in 2 days.

I will be making an order, thank you.

I have been doing this for a few years now on a much smaller scale, as our kids are only 2 and 4 this year. Our fish tank is a polyester one only about 2m wide and not more than half a meter tall, but as you have said, the kids love it and we use it daily to beat the heat. We bought it for under 2000 baht off the highway near our house on a whim, it has been the best money I have ever spent.

Somethings I have learned by experience in the maintenance are:

Purchasing chlorine from a local chemist is easy and cheap, 200baht for 1/2 kg (my pool is only 5000 lt, so a desert spoon or so every other day keeps it fresh)

About once a week I add a cup of Bleach in substitution of a 'pool shock' solution.

I usually run a bilge pump (500 gal pm) which you can buy from Amorn for approx 400 baht, this is solar panel powered and runs all day for free.

I filter the water though a series of microfiber cloths, 3-4 of them layered, I then clean them with a high pressure washer when they become clogged.

The local farming supply store has skimmer nets for about 20 baht.

All in all it works fine, but would also love to hear from others who may have done a similar thing and get some new ideas.

Oz

edit to add pic..

post-54765-0-77261900-1401031338_thumb.j

Edited by ozsamurai
  • Like 1

The pool has never failed to be refreshing. We do live at 700 meters altitude though, so in the city it might get hotter. The shade cloth does help, especially with keeping the water from getting green. I know this because there was a few weeks there where the cloth was removed. The more shade the better I would say.

in hindsight i wish I could have started from scratch on this one. the high walls are obviously a problem for getting in and out, as well as for visibility.

I would love to do an in ground version of the same thing. But I got the pool I got, and I accept that.

Can you build-up the earth around the "pool" and maybe slope it from the ground up?

Whatever, congratulations on a great idea! Hope your local "kill-joy" Council doesn't have a problem with it.

My wife just had a problem with ours. She had a very nice retaining wall built along the edge of a small creek at the back of our house and was growing some vegetables there.

BIG MISTAKE... she didn't get permission from the "Council" or whatever as she figured it IMPROVED the appearance of the place (everybody else just has overgrown weeds and a bit of rubbish on their part of the creek bank.) Cost her 20K Baht to have built and then another 8K to have a Backhoe come, break it up and take away the rubble.

Ah well, #%IT Happens eh?

• Like 1

Looks like great fun for the kids. May I ask what type of fish you are raising? Are they the raise to eat kind, or the tropical, raise to sell to pet shop kind?

We have been raising red tilapia, or tabtim as the are called here. But I would rather be raising ornamental fish. I just can't figure out how to get started in that field.