Why Are There So Many Soldiers in Sisaket, But None In Ubon R.?

sirchai

How's the machine guns fully loaded!...w00t.gif

I suppose it is a little stupid to drive around with a machinegun without bullets?

If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running..............

I hear they are looking for Sisaket people taking photo's of the 'big guns,' so they can then give them a holiday in the Bangkok Hilton.

Also Dilligad, I hear the Norwegian chapter is pretty active down Nam Yeaun way .. they are bracing themselves to cross the Provincial frontier to quell any disturbances !!

I'd assume that it's because there are/were a lot of soldiers stationed around that temple on the Thai/Cambodian border.

But that's just a guess, maybe Ubon has it's own army bases but are simply spread throughout the province a bit more (Although I think it's more airforce I Ubon right? And they're not patrolling the streets?)

I'd assume that it's because there are/were a lot of soldiers stationed around that temple on the Thai/Cambodian border.

But that's just a guess, maybe Ubon has it's own army bases but are simply spread throughout the province a bit more (Although I think it's more airforce I Ubon right? And they're not patrolling the streets?)[/

quote]

I would suspect your right about the Ubon Boys Brigade.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But that's just a guess, maybe Ubon has it's own army bases but are simply spread throughout the province a bit more (Although I think it's more airforce I Ubon right? And they're not patrolling the streets?)

But busy patrolling the sky around Ubon. Even seen F-16 flying here, which I never had before. Usually F-5s.

We had to go through a passport check on arrival at Ubon airport today - a falanx of smart looking naval people (if they are the ones with the rather neat egg-like hats with what looked like a few letters of Korean on them!). Their squad included a very cute female officer trying to soften the edges of the whole exercise I guess. I should have taken a photo of her while my wife was ingratiating herself in a selfie with an arriving soap starbiggrin.png

They did not even want to look at a white falang's passport - obviously I was not named on their (rather long) list. There was also a soldier guarding the airport exit with an automatic weapon and a checkpoint with policemen/military on the road out of town*. More 'naval officers' - guess in this rather expensive-looking kit they could have been military police; they definitely looked a cut above the average squaddie; well presented and all the ones at the airport seemingly quite focussed on the task in hand.

No need to feel left out, Ubon. Indeed I found it all quite sinister, having seen no military personnel on arrival at Swampy, during my overnight stay in Bangkok or at Don Meuang.

Post script - It had occurred to me that last night was my first military curfew in many decades of regular international travel and a few more than that of of life. I guess it just goes to show either how messed up this country is or how sheltered our Western European life has been for a long time.

* Saw something on the news that the military were in presence at all Thailand's airports so I don't think I'm breaching state secrets here!

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

But busy patrolling the sky around Ubon. Even seen F-16 flying here, which I never had before. Usually F-5s.

Maybe the 16's from Korat, I haven't heard them over a month, I'm 6Km

out on the W. approach. The usually fly keep T&L qualifications up, but is's

been quiet, you may have answered my question.

rice555

We had to go through a passport check on arrival at Ubon airport today - a falanx of smart looking naval people (if they are the ones with the rather neat egg-like hats with what looked like a few letters of Korean on them!). Their squad included a very cute female officer trying to soften the edges of the whole exercise I guess. I should have taken a photo of her while my wife was ingratiating herself in a selfie with an arriving soap starbiggrin.png

They did not even want to look at a white falang's passport - obviously I was not named on their (rather long) list. There was also a soldier guarding the airport exit with an automatic weapon and a checkpoint with policemen/military on the road out of town*. More 'naval officers' - guess in this rather expensive-looking kit they could have been military police; they definitely looked a cut above the average squaddie; well presented and all the ones at the airport seemingly quite focussed on the task in hand.

No need to feel left out, Ubon. Indeed I found it all quite sinister, having seen no military personnel on arrival at Swampy, during my overnight stay in Bangkok or at Don Meuang.

Post script - It had occurred to me that last night was my first military curfew in many decades of regular international travel and a few more than that of of life. I guess it just goes to show either how messed up this country is or how sheltered our Western European life has been for a long time.

* Saw something on the news that the military were in presence at all Thailand's airports so I don't think I'm breaching state secrets here!

They did not even want to look at a white falang's passport. Lucky you that you had no suntan.....thumbsup.gif

The F-16's are based in Ubon for many many years already.

Ubon is nowhere near as red as Sisaket. Could that be a reason?

FYI Ubol has its own army base in Warinchamrap.

You should have seen the gathering of red shirts at Thing See Miang Park. Ubon is even more red than Sisaket.-facepalm.gif

Ubon is nowhere near as red as Sisaket. Could that be a reason?

FYI Ubol has its own army base in Warinchamrap.

You should have seen the gathering of red shirts at Thing See Miang Park. Ubon is even more red than Sisaket.-facepalm.gif

Doubtful that it is more red. Up until the last elections they even had a democrat in one district. The anti-government supporters also had a mass rally at Thung Sri Muang (Ubol city) earlier this year and they were not chased away by any angry red mobs. That rally would not be allowed to take place in a lot of the other North and North Eastern provinces.

The F-16's are based in Ubon for many many years already.

Ubon Royal Thai Air Force Base is a Royal Thai Air Force facility and is the home of Wing 21 of the RTAF 2nd Air Division. The RTAF 211sq "Eagles" fly the Northrop F-5E/F "Tiger II" fighter aircraft